Swedish LK35 Rucksack Mods

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Carver27, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Carver27

Carver27 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I recently picked up a Swedish LK35 from militarymart.co and am looking to perform some modifications such as side pouches and a waist belt. Does anyone have any recommendations on which side pouches would fit well? I checked Military Mart and they don't seem to be in stock. I have the dark/forest green color and would like the pouches to be a similar color. Any advice or recommendations are welcome!

2. Hevijunk

Hevijunk Scout

Blog Posts:
    The L35 is a nice pack for the money and a capable pack . Some folks have fitted them to an ALICE frame or at the very least added ALICE shoulder straps and waist belt. This fellow talks about a few mods he has done to his might be of some help IDK. I'm sure folks here would be very interested in what mods you choose to go with , let us know

Ed

Red Ochre, Bush Otter and rlh2 like this.
  3. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I put the kidney belt and straps for an ALICE pack on my LK35. I don't have any side pouches yet but I'd be interested in what folks come up with. Some people have put MOLLE strips on the sides and mounted pouches to them.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Hevijunk likes this.
  4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I sewed my own pocket on my Bergans canvas ruck. Just cut it out of a scrap of USGI shelter half, bought a couple buckles at walmart, and voila', there it was! there's a thread or pics somewhere... probably under "daily doings of a bushcrafter".

5. Carver27

Carver27 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Do you have the forest green cordura pack? If so, does the color of the Alice waist belt and straps match? Thank you

6. erik the red

erik the red Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I did the typical molle shoulder straps and an alice kidney belt. The belt is definitely lighter than the pack, but not as large of a discrepancy than the pic. shows. I have a molle belt to put on as well but only in desert camo.

Attached Files:

GETOUT73 likes this.
  7. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The straps match pretty well but the kidney belt is a different shade of green. However, no one seems to mind that it "clashes". I doubt that you can get a perfect match unless you can find some Swedish pouches made of the same stuff. BTW it's the forest green cordura one.

8. Carver27

Carver27 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Awesome, thank you both!

9. Hevijunk

Hevijunk Scout

Blog Posts:
    In your photo there of your L 35 pack it appears you have the right shoulder strap on the left and the left shoulder strap on the right , the bottoms of the straps should be pointing outboard not inboard. That being said , if you find it more comfortable that way by all means disregard this. Otherwise , it's a nice set up .

Ed

erik the red likes this.
  10. erik the red

erik the red Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi Ed,
    Good catch. The straps were indeed switched. My daughter thought the pack rode a bit better for her in that configuration for a multi-dayer last summer; just haven't taken a pic. of it since then.
    Cheers :14:

Hevijunk likes this.
  11. leightyj2

leightyj2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I did the alice style waist belt and the swedish webbing side pouches. I recommend using some thick waxed thread used for leatherworking to sew the pouches on, makes for a very sturdy hold. Also if you get an alice style waist belt on ebay or whatever and it is not actually surplus, but like a surplus "style" belt, the stitching is very weak so I would reinforce the corners of the belt with waxed thread. I honestly feel the pouches do not add a ton of extra space. I use mine to hold a med kit and gloves on one side, and I can keep my knife and a few small tools on the other. I only sewed the sides of the pouches so I can slide my silky big boy between the pouch and the pack. The webbing pouches will not fit a round bottle like a nalgene, so unless you have a canteen kit you won't be putting water in them. If you had a bit of old yoga mat you could use some waxed thread to sew cut out yoga mat onto the insides of the shoulder straps. But honestly with the weight belt you won't need to get new shoulder straps unless you are hiking for a really long time. If you keep the heavy items in your gear closest to your back and high up in the back you barely feel the weight at all on your shoulders. Mike from MCQ bushcraft says that in one of his videos on youtube and it is totally true. One thing I would do for comfort if you use the waist belt is move the lower lumbar support horizontal strap up to the center of the pack, it gives you a bit more room for your waist belt to go and I find it very comfy. If the pack starts to squeak, take the back support nylon straps off by untying them, and rub the strap and frame with some candle wax. It is a friction point and can be super annoying when your pack is making a loud squeak with every step for miles on end. Its a great pack enjoy!

Attached Files:

12. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  13. ibillwilson

ibillwilson Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I just got one of these rucksacks... the sack itself is like-new condition, while the frame seems a bit used but still excellent. Anyway, at this point, I don't plan to make any major modifications that involve sewing, cutting, replacing parts, etc. However, I have moved the straps on the frame a little bit and figured out a way to integrate my US surplus web belt and associated kit. I made my first fully-loaded hike with it today -- 35 pounds, 8 miles -- and found it to be very comfortable to carry (even with the stock shoulder straps, as the belt did a good job taking most of the load). The only thing I plan to add in the near-term is a chest-strap.

(Also... my first post.)

DSC_2032.JPG DSC_2030.JPG DSC_2031.JPG

14. wiwoodsman

wiwoodsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I cut the seams on the sides of my pack and sewed in Molle web panels. Now I can use a variety of third party pouches. I have a couple of videos showing what I did on my YouTube channel:

Hevijunk and Morning Crow like this.
  15. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMG_4800.JPG Added a standard Alice kidney pad and a Warrior Gear 64 yoke. Feels great; didn't mind the original shoulder straps so leaving them for now.

Hevijunk likes this.