Swiss Military wool blankets

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by 8696steve, Nov 7, 2018.

1. 8696steve

8696steve Scout

Blog Posts:
  2. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hard to say. There's no reviews that elaborate on details. It advertises it as the real deal, so if it isn't 100% wool Swiss milsurp when you get it, you can just ship it back to SG and they'll pay postage.

I've bought a few wool mil-surp blankets from them, and they often sell out their stock before any reviews get posted (they are reliable but their shipping is kind of slow).

Its always a gamble with milsurp of course, but I will say I've often bought milsurp that SG advertises as "used" and it looks like new or never issued. You never know of course, but they generally don't deal in ratty used milsurp (at least I can't remember buying anything that came in looking too beat up). I think they mainly acquire and resell milsurp in decent condition.

That said $60 plus their shipping is more than I'd pay for that blanket (their shipping can be steep if you're not getting in on a free shipping promotion), but if it is calling your name, who am I to stop you? Dimemsions are ok but I'd like it a little larger. And 3.18 pounds listed weight for that size seems a little light.

They often do free shipping with minimum orders anywhere from $50-$100 to qualify. If they are offering free shipping promotions now, it isn't the worst deal in the world. But you could do better...but if you sit around waiting, the blankets could very well be sold out at SG by the time you're ready to pull the trigger.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  3. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks nice, but kind of light weight.

4. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    blind & lost likes this.
  5. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Most Swiss wool blankets are HEAVY! nearly 5 pounds heavy. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the one I owned had a metal medallion on a corner with an ID and insignia.

blind & lost likes this.