Switching from a bed to a hammock full time

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by Avohei, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Avohei

Avohei Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welp after a few trials last year with a hammock and not getting out much this year. It was time to get the hammock out and put it to good use.

20181002_023803.jpg

I had been recently debating on getting a new bed. Been sleeping on the same twin size mattress size all my life. I'm 6'4. Lol!

So after the debate the bed is gone and the new one is in. Just need a campsite on the tv, some plants and stars on the ceiling and I'm set for winter.

Anyone else go this route?

Kreger, JGB, Wesleypipesyo and 8 others like this.
  2. Doc.

Doc. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thinking seriously about going that route. Since we retired my wife and I have both taken up the hobby of amplified snoring. So when the “merry go round” stops spinning it’s off to separate sleep quarters. I’ve been speculating about going the hammock route for some time now. What brand/model is that? Which ones did you consider? And how’s it working out for you? Doc.

happywanderer and central joe like this.
  3. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you're set up for winter now young fellar. joe

4. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use to snore, but since I' learned to sleep face down ,I don't snore any more and it's better for my back as well .
    I use to get head sweats and began sleeping with my head slightly elevated more than a just a pillow, face down and I sleep much better too.
    I remember trying to use a hammock ,but in the mountains and trees available stuff was always falling out of the trees ,so we learned not to sleep under trees .
    Packing a metal framework for the hammock seemed heavy and difficult to justify .
    I guess it depends on where you go camping.

central joe likes this.
  5. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @arleigh head sweats are concerning. Had you blood glucose checked or any other blood work done?

central joe likes this.
  6. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:
    I guess I could try fitting my wife and dog in a hammock with me. I love snuggling and my wife and dog hate it. Right now it's kind of a slow speed chase around the bed all night. Pillow blockades are involved and everything. This idea will totally solve my problem. Kind of like....Gotcha....

Hey, we're all-in right?

JGB, Paulyseggs, Harper and 1 other person like this.
  7. Avohei

Avohei Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 4 hammocks. Two I got for bday/Xmas and cheap, one came with the stand and I have (pictured) a warbonnet ridgerunner.

I've been testing all of them. The stand is a vivere double hammock from Amazon. It's pretty easy to lay flat. Think the ridgerunner so far is not a great fit for a 9ft stand. A 12ft would be better. No preference yet on any of them. Maybe in a few months.

Metal frames are a pain. The framei have isn't for camping it stays in the bedroom. No way I'd take that with me on a trip.

8. Beyond the Firelight

Beyond the Firelight Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been thinking about going that way as well. I'll hopefully be moving in a few months and I'll probably ditch the bed and just grab a hammock stand when I do. Have you found that you need to use any insulation underneath, or does it stay pretty comfortable at indoor temperatures?

9. Avohei

Avohei Scout

Blog Posts:
    Considering the home is always above 65 I've been really comfy. Have not needed an underquilt. So far I've just been using a super fine alpaca blanket and been plenty warm.

Wish i had the room for a 12ft frame. I think that would make it all better with the hang. But that depends on the hammock. The warbonnet Ridgeline is not comfy in the 9ft frame at all. It lays flat but way too tight. The traditional banana style is what I've found to be the best for me so far.

I have noticed that I feel better. For a good 6mos I've had major issues with my neck. To the point where I couldn't turn it well. That's from how I used to sleep in a bed. Couple weeks now in the hammock and either it's helped that go away almost completely or it's just coincidence.

10. MiteyF

MiteyF Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Guy I used to work with was a bachelor of 50 years, the kind you can't imagine ever settling down. He got into hammocks for camping, and went to full-time, hanging a hammock in his bedroom and forgetting the mattress altogether. Then a few years ago, he found a woman. Can't spoon/fork in a hammock, so whenever she was over, mattress it was, but whenever she was gone (or whenever his back was trashed from sleeping in a bed too frequently), back to the hammock. I just moved cross country, and he just got married, and she just moved in. I may never know how that works out in the long run...

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  11. Newtown Mark

Newtown Mark Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been sleeping outside in the backyard so often, my wife thought we were divorced.

12. Avohei

Avohei Scout

Blog Posts:
    4 month update.

When I first started this I had a lot of neck pain. That's gone. Is it because of sleeping in a hammock? Unknown.

What I do know is that when I was sleeping in a bed I was a stomach sleeper with my head cranked to the side. In a hammock I'm not able to crank my head.

I've experimented with multiple hammocks. Two I've bought and 3 that others have gotten for me in the holidays and birthday.

So yeah. I now have 5 hammocks. One could say it's a surplus of potential. The potential of introducing others to a wonderful nights rest. Can even give some of them away.

The things I've learned in this journey is simple. In the op I was using a ridgerunner. I don't sleep in that anymore. It's a great hammock. But it doesn't fit well in the hammock stand. I feel that the ridgerunner needs to be hung further away. In the frame I bought it's just too close causing a lot of strain on it. So much as that it didn't feel safe.

In the few 4 months I've found different ways to sleep. I can lay on my back or my side or crunched up in a little ball in the middle.

I've tried using sleeping pads and blankets and different pillows to find that comforting spot. Sleeping pads work but they are just not for me in a hammock. For two reasons. One it gets too hot. Second they move around too much. So nope!

Found that I need a small, thin and soft pillow. Normal bed pillows are too big. They crank the neck up too high. My neck is already up at an angle so a thin pillow is just right.

Now I have my setup right in front of the in floor heat vent. I've noticed that even though the air is warm that it still feels chilly in the back. So I hung a blanket under the hammock which eliminates that cold feeling. It also helps to keep in heat below me.

Blankets are simple. I have a semi heavy military alpaca blanket on top and a super fine one hanging below. Seriously love the alpaca blankets that I found from this forum! Alpaca werehouse. Great stuff!

Journey continues. Crazy happy about the change and for now it's been great. Sleeping better and, fingers crossed, I've yet to fall out or have anything break on the hammock stand. Cause that's good to hurt! It'll happen one day.

Everything has to break over time.

13. Wesleypipesyo

Wesleypipesyo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great to hear. Glad it is working out.

14. JGB

JGB NO SIGNAL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    2FB7165B-8DD8-4E55-8448-0DE48B2787C3.jpeg Thanks for posting this. Just gettin into hammock camping and saw this indoor idea and figured I’d try to get all the kinks out in a controlled environment. I have no trees on property for hangin.

I’ve had some ENO wall anchors on the front porch for a while to use with an ENO sub7 for relaxing...not enough distance for the Chameleon though.

I just relocated those to the utility/junk room and hung up the sleep setup.
    -Dutchware Chameleon
    -HG 20 Econ UQ
    -Topquilt pending temp

Goin to attempt sleeping in it tonight.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  15. Wesleypipesyo

Wesleypipesyo Scout

Blog Posts:
    How did it go?

16. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My kids all slept in hammocks for years to free up bedroom space and loved it. They still hang them back up occasionally just because they prefer them to beds.

Guillaume Longval and JGB like this.
  17. JGB

Blog Posts:
    Better than expected. I didn’t have that “best nights sleep ever” like some who switch, but plenty of good periods of sleep with some minor fiddling with the UQ, but woke up more refreshed and no body aches from pressure points like I get most nights of ground sleeping.

With a wife and brand new bed in the room, I won’t be going full time like @Avohei but will keep on dialing it in for camping. I’d take it on a trip already even. I’ve heard it takes a while to adapt for some people, but pays off if you work through it.

18. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You guys screwing eyebolts into the wall worry me. Most studs are only held in place two nails top and two nails bottom, and then some thin sheetrock. Not to mention the stress on the eyebolt and it not being screwed all the way up to the wood because of sheetrock. Lot of stress from weight and movement.
    When its working its great, its that one moment it doesn't thats a problem.
    I hope it works out. (No snark or condescension)

19. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
    Guillaume Longval likes this.
  20. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
    Like these. Pulled these off google images

il_340x270.1266914631_fcx3.jpg Capture+_2019-02-17-15-41-55.png

Kreger and Guillaume Longval like this.
  21. JGB

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya. I proceeded with extreme caution that first sit & lay...also I’m using a mount by ENO designed for this and installed correctly, not an eye bolt, which I agree would present some issues either immediately or over time. I’m checking the mounts before and after use and only plan to use them until I feel like I’ve got my setup dialed for camping...2 nights so far, so good. If I go longer, I’ll definately keep inspecting the mounts every use. Luckily the hammock is in an unused room and doesnt have kids swinging or bouncing in it or anyone else using it without me there.

Guillaume Longval likes this.