Synthetic Puff Jackets...

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by ROCK6, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So, I'm looking to upgrade my backpacking insulation layer, and due to the humidity and rainy conditions this spring back home, I'm looking into synthetic puff jackets. I acknowledge this is a pretty niche item for most and the higher end Puffs are pretty expensive to save a few ounces...which is a big consideration. Criteria are performance, weight, compression, and price. I have a higher loft down jacket, but really trying to focus on synthetic insulation due to the high humidity and often wetter conditions.

Spring and Fall temps really aren't bad. It could be 70 with clouds and thundershowers during the day, but the evening is where we feel it when it drops into the 40's. I know, I know, that isn't "cold", but I'll be damned if the humidity doesn't make it feel colder and we have to strip out of our wet clothing to dry and warm up...hence this lighter "puff" or insulation. Keeping the weight down to 8-9oz is a bonus as is compression.

The top two I'm looking at are the new Patagonia Micro Puff jacket with their new "PlumaFill" insulation and Enlightened Equipment's Torrid APEX with 2.0 Climashield insulation fill.

From what I can see, Patagonia's insulation provides slightly better performance and better compression, but almost twice the price. The Torrid APEX jacket is slightly lighter (about an ounce for the same size/no hood). I do like the fact that I can get the APEX in Coyote and other custom colors and from what I read, it's cut slightly larger for layering. I know that can be an issue as you want a tighter fit for this type of puff-insulation layer.

So, anybody have experience with either the Micro Puff or Enlightened Equipment's Torrid APEX puff-insulation layers (or other options)?

ROCK6
    [​IMG]

2. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  3. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My hangup with puffers is fit and wanting a hood. There is no way I could buy one online. That cuts out lots of options. Dang broad shoulders.

beacon, central joe, rsnurkle and 4 others like this.
  4. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a similar issue with shoulders. Most of the Patagonia stuff is made for stick-figure models:D While I can wear their large, it has zero room for more than a T-shirt. The EE Torrid has a more generous cut. I get that some of the technical clothing does require a more snug fit, but snug and constrictive are often pretty close...

ROCK6

5. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I hear that. I can be anything from a medium to a XXL depending on the brand, and even then if I buy the same item a few years apart there is no assurance their country of manufacture has not changed and the sizing will be the same. Shoes and boots are the worst, I never buy them online. Even in a store I’ve tried three pairs of the same style and size and found one pair fits better than the other two. Got to love the new global economy (not).

beacon, Katdaddy, central joe and 4 others like this.
  6. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's why I love Patagonia! I need an XL for the length, but a medium for the waist/chest size. With Patagonia's fit, I can get the larger sizes I need without being swallowed.

That being said, I'm too cheap to actually buy it most of the time. I only get it on super end of season clearance and the second hand market.

central joe, Bobsdock and Tangotag like this.
  7. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    An option I have that works well from LL Bean. I love it since it works well over a layer or two easily. I can fit my rain layer over it too.

That said, Patagonia AND Mountain Hardwear have served friends of mine well.

Tangotag, central joe, ROCK6 and 2 others like this.
  8. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You can sometimes find Eddie Bauer puffer vests at a reasonable markdown. They offer tall sizes. They also still have a return policy like LLBean used to offer.

9. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Scout

Blog Posts:

Yeah, I bought a hooded jacket a couple years ago at 40% off, in season... (?!). They had made an effort to make a line of higher performance outerwear to be competitive with Patagonia, etc . I think their long-time selection of mostly 'outdoor-style' casual wear caused them to be all but forgotten by backpackers. I know I only went in by accident- my daughter was looking for a toiletry bag for a Grand Canyon kayak trip. Maybe worth a fresh look...

10. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    the Eddie Bauer First Ascent stuff is phenomenal value. it's probably not as light weight as some of the boutique brands but is very well made from excellent materials.

I got my son an 850 DownTek (water resistant down) jacket with Pertex shell that he has rode hard and hung up wet, that still looks and works like new. I have an XL Tall, hooded, with the tags still on that I bought figuring I would lose weight and fit into it but that hasn't happened yet :oops: If I can't fit in by September, I'll sell it here with the tags still on...

11. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Give enlightened equipment a shot, if you're unsure about fit just call or emial them, they've always been very responsive to communications with me.

I took a risk and ordered a montbell puff jacket that was on clearance, their size guide was spot on and it fits great.

Nunatak also makes a good looking syn jacket.

M.Hatfield, central joe and ROCK6 like this.
  12. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have you looked into The North Face line of goodies? You can usually get their gear stupid cheap used, never understood why but I don't care, I just keep scooping up the deals. New prices are great too imo.

central joe likes this.
  13. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, from my correspondence with them, they assured me their Torrid is cut bigger than the Patagonia. One thing that I keep boing back and forth over is breathability. The higher (800+) loft downs really seem to offer a wider spectrum of comfort for me. The treated down is nice for less severe weather, but my only fear is getting really soaked during some of the spring trips we've down. I don't mind sacrificing a little compression and insulation performance doesn't have to be top tier, but I do want to keep weight at a minimum. Thanks for all the feedback and recommendation...

ROCK6

central joe likes this.
  14. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Apex is good stuff. Good warmth to weight ratio, one of the best syns to resist loss of loft to compression, resists moisture well, reasonably priced

I would at least peruse Nunatak's site- their Apex jacket is very customizable- sizes, hoods, pockets, fabrics, weight of insulation, etc. Not cheap, but a really nice jacket.

That said, I also have a EE hooded vest (same basic construction as the jacket), if the 2.1 Apex is warm enough for your needs, the quality is top notch (also a fair bit cheaper)

UAHiker, ROCK6 and M.Hatfield like this.
  15. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The new Micropuff gets a very bad wrap over at BPL and it is horrendously expensive for not much real warmth apparently

ROCK6 likes this.
  16. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    interesting. what's the verdict on the Nano Air?..

17. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    ra2bach and ROCK6 like this.
  18. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had had a mountain hardwear thermostatic for going on 5 years and it's still alive and serving me well. Check on eBay/sales online and you can find this $200 jacket for $50-$100. Well worth the money!

WildMedGuru and M.Hatfield like this.
  19. koreamarine

koreamarine Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Recommend a field jacket liner if you're on a budget.

For a few dollars more you can get the Wiggy's liner jacket which is worth the price.
    My issue with such items as outer layers is that they tend to get holes in them from sparks popping out of a fire.

I am looking for some nyco cloth such as used in the old field jacket to make into a single layer outer shell under which I can layer the above and other layers.

20. xRangerx

xRangerx Woods wandering bird nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I know I am late to the party, but check out the Kuiu kenai jackets in their outlet. Heavily discounted now and breathes well. Hooded and hoodless versions available.

ra2bach and ROCK6 like this.
  21. Ninety0ne

Ninety0ne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Outdoor research and Arc’teryx are both designed in the wettest part of North America. Everyone knows The dead bird, but if you havnt looked at OR, give em a shot

22. perrymk

perrymk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  23. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    ^ I have the hooded vest version of that, well made and warm for the weight :)

24. 41magfan

41magfan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's just one man's opinion:

If you aren't likely to encounter temps below the 40's, I wouldn't spend a lot on an insulated piece and I certainly wouldn't be buying any Patagucci unless you buy at well over 50% off. It's worth noting that any fill that's NOT continuous fiber (Climashield) - no matter what they choose to label it - is pretty much the same so there's no benefit in paying for a label.

As just one example, I bought a Cabela's branded pullover (comparable to the Nano-Puff) with 60g Primaloft insulation for less than $30 on sale. It's held up perfectly after three or four years of steady use as a hunting layer and a casual wear piece. Same goes for another 60g Primaloft jacket branded by REI that cost about $50 on sale. In other words, Primaloft is Primaloft (which is "casual" insulation at best) and it isn't going to perform differently/better because of the label.

Lastly, nothing that weighs 8-9 oz is likely to be warm below 40 degrees anyway unless it's a very high quality down-filled product (Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Feathered Friends, etc). I say that because I have the thermostat of a polar bear and nothing I've owned in that weight range worked below 40 deg as a stand alone piece.

25. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Someone mentioned Ebay
    - I literally scored a new with tags 850 down MH parka on there for under $100 / luckily I think the seller had no clue as to the value / this seller mostly sold clothing, but had like 700 clothing items for sale in their store / I'll admit I just got lucky

-I've also picked up a thin puffer style Patagonia jacket in used, but "new enough to me" condition for $35 and a Marmot precip shell for $25

Sometimes people are just selling for spare cash or yard sale prices.... that's when the best deals are found.

Just browse constantly, watch for reliable sellers and return policies and happy garage shopping on line for cheap gear!!

Ninety0ne likes this.
  26. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    Primaloft comes in a couple of flavors, but regardless it does have a limited lifespan, it’s ever so slightly warmer (clo)/weight than
    Climashield, but Climashield has a much better lifespan, certainly not infinite, but pretty darn good

agreed that a 8-9 oz insulating syn piece is going to be in the 35-45 degree range for inactivity, quality down will be slightly warmer

of course you can boost these temps with some smart layering

my 10 oz Apex pullover with base layer, mid-layer (mid weight hooded fleece) and a windshirt @ ~ 15 degrees, glassing for a couple of hours
    [​IMG]

beacon and ROCK6 like this.
  27. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's all pretty relative, and highly dependent on the user's metabolism and activity level. It's not so much about simply being warm, but controlling your thermoregulation. I can extend a trekking break by cooling down slower with a lighter puff jacket. Plus, they'll maintain your body temp when you first get started in a cold morning. Even with my aging metabolism, I'm a hot-hiker and heat up quickly, but I also know I want to avoid cooling down too fast. I would agree that many would not find these types of "active insulation" pieces very comfortable for cold weather, static activities, but many of these lighter pieces of insulation rely on more heat generated by the user through high exertion activities. Since you're not wearing them constantly, their weight is important since you're carrying it more than wearing it.

ROCK6

mtwarden likes this.
  28. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Definitely go for hooded version.

I have a cheap one that I paid something like $35 several years ago on a clearance sale and it's been excellent. It's exceptionally warm and light weight. One of my best purchases!

It has one or two tiny burn holes in it now but a little crazy glue should fix that.

The embers don't discriminate!

29. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Man-made fill varies greatly. Some is solid. Some has a single hole (think macaroni), increasing trapped air - "loft" - for a given weight. Some has multiple holes. Diameter of fibers varies greatly. Some is silicon=treated, slowing matting down of the fill - increasing service life. Some has fibers with mixed-sizes and characteristics. Some has heat-crimped "permanent wave," increasing loft for weight, and some does not.

Trouble is, it is very hard to find objective, measured comparisons. Try to find actual user evaluations., like those, now outdated as to specific garments, in Twight's Extreme Alpinism, Climbing Light, Fast, and High, (1999).

New stuff comes out every year and it's always "much better" than last year's.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    ROCK6 likes this.
  30. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    How true!

The manufacturers admit that even wood smoke reduces the water-repellency of "durable"( that is, not durable) water repellent treatment. And that is more true now than it was as the new "green" "DWP" chemicals are even less robust.

Remember when the biggest kid in class was "Tiny"? "Durable Water Repellent."

ROCK6 likes this.
  31. j_mcrane

j_mcrane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Costco has 700 fill generic down jackets for 49 bucks Canadian. Anyone ever used one from there? I’m thinking about picking one up.

32. tonyg

tonyg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A lot of good info in this post. Thanks guys.

I was looking at getting the torrid. Now I've good to think a couple things over and look at other options.