Taking along a helmet?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Swarvegorilla, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And if your naturally careless or unobservant don't forget to attach the clear and tinted face shields to the helmet, snap backs, widow makers and sun/snow glare are a bitch.

Manu Ferrum likes this.
  2. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Agree. If you in a situation where you need a helmet for protection you shouldn't be there with out another.

Cheers

caoutdoorsman and Manu Ferrum like this.
  3. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Don't get me started on helmets...

Too late! I'm started. Back in the day, a person could do ANYTHING without a helmet. Ride motorcycles, bicycles, horses, etc. Sure, people died or became vegetables, but you know, that's life!

Nowadays, everyone wears helmets for the above activities, and more! Hiking, climbing, walking to the bathroom, having sex, sitting on the porcelain throne, etc. I mean, you just never know.

I fell asleep once sitting on the crapper. I could easily have fallen over and hit my head on the edge of the bathtub. Luckily, I self rescued and caught myself before tragedy struck! It was close!

Sure, a helmet is a good idea. I'd go with a simple full face motorcycle helmet if I were you. People might point and laugh, but with a tinted face shield, they won't know who you are!

Steve

4. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Only while hunting wascally wabbits!

Manu Ferrum and Keyser Söze like this.
  5. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm not superstitious or anything, but why have you given it any additional thought now? If your spider senses are tingling......just saying!;)

Look at it this way, your head, your consequences, your choice! I believe as long as you are an adult, and it is not employment related, it should be your choice. (The possible exceptions; if you have others dependent upon you, you might also consider their thoughts and/or feelings on the matter.)

6. lobo9er

lobo9er Scout

Blog Posts:
    out on my own I would consider it depending when and where. Sure it could be "your time" or you could have been wearing protective gear and gone home. I wear ANSI rated sunglasses most of the time in the summer. And if I were climbing alone many miles away from my car out of cell phone coverage I would consider a light weight helmet.

7. lobo9er

lobo9er Scout

Blog Posts:
    becoming a vegetable doesn't have to be life, he could have been wearing gear that would have protected his melon. I supposing though you are begrudging helmet laws and I would agree with you. I don't agree with legislating safety. That said if I were to choose to ride a motorcycle regularly I would be wearing a helmet on my own volition just as I would wear a seat belt with or without the law.

PMSteve likes this.
  8. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14. I promised my Mother that I'd always wear a helmet and I always have... even in Las Vegas when the thermometer on my handlebars said it was 124°f on the pavement (helmets don't have AC). I'm 68 now.

I'm not against helmets, really! The first time I saw someone wearing a helmet while riding a horse, I laughed out loud, it just looked so foreign to me, but I guess that in Europe this has been normal for years and years.

I often think that many folks take this (and other things) way too far, going beyond common sense.

Steve

Manu Ferrum, Early Man and lobo9er like this.
  9. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    People used to drive race cars in tee shirts and chino pants too. Watch the You Tube footage of Roger Williamson if you want to see what burning to death really looks like. Not just for Williamson but also for his teammate David Purdy. Purdy was an interesting guy surviving the highest G force load ever. Going from 108 mile per hour to 0 in less than 30 inches, he broke a lot of bones, but survived.

Technology has changed, today a driver would not forgoing wearing fireproofs and a helmet with a HANs device. Are they less courageous than their predecessors? No, they are just using the tools available to them now.

x39 likes this.
  10. Bannertail

Bannertail Scout

Blog Posts:
    Safety equipment is, or should be, a personal decision. Whatever works for you. However...

From the book Pole, Paddle & Portage by Bill Riviere Copyright 1969

On page 24 -- “Exaggerated caution usually results in outright lack of confidence [and often a dunking.]”

On page 46 -- “That we’re living in an increasingly over protective society doesn’t come as news to the adventuresome. We’re told when and where to cross the street; we’re persuaded to wear tin hats while riding motor scooters and to wear ugly “signal yellow” or “flame orange” garb when hunting. One of these days, we’ll be required to wear life jackets when driving across bridges. For “our own good” we’re being deprived of our self-reliance, our ability to think for ourselves, and our prerogative to make our own judgments.”

"When the Human Race dies out, it will be because it was so brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living."
    Unknown

"As soon as there is life there is danger."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If one is forever cautious, can one remain a human being?"
    Aleksander Solzhenitsyn

My two cents...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  11. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    Truth! ^

Bannertail likes this.
  12. werewolf won

Blog Posts:

Death comes one to the customer, and every birth comes with a death sentence. I’d like to delay that but I absolutely believe you can take safety gear too far; I’ve seen people injured because the safety gear caught in machines etc. But by and large I’m sure significantly more people benefit from it than are harmed because of it. Plenty of people have free climbed mountains, the crosses at the bases recall many more that tried and failed however. The EMS folks have a saying: “We seldom unbuckle corpses”. What they are saying is safety belts save lives. Ejected people are usually killed or badly injured; people secure in the vehicle do much better.

Don’t delude yourselves into thinking it’s your choice so it’s your problem either. Every year your insurance bills are higher than the year before. You may never burn your house to the ground, have a car stolen, or fall off your roof, become the object of a search etc but people do every day and we all pay the price for it in crazy insurance premiums, less complete coverage and heavy surcharges and co-pays.

So if some uninsured motorcycle driver takes a tiny stone to his un-helmeted head and drops his bike, hitting his head and winding up in a vegetative state and winds up in a long term nursing facility for the next thirty years, it’s not just his problem. Guess who gets to help pay that bill? The hospital will not turn someone away, but they will not foot the bill either; so they distribute their losses to those that can pay. That’s part of why an ER visit, depending on your coverage, may have a several hundred dollar co-pay today. This is a whole other contentious discussion, which I avoid.

morganbw and Bannertail like this.
  13. Bannertail

Bannertail Scout

Blog Posts:
    There are so many aspects to safety. As you say @werewolf won, the person or people immediately involved, to search/rescue personal, to medical resources, to insurance,
    to personal free will.
    Such a complex subject... and an emotional one.

And a legal one.
    There is an OSHA Religious Exemption to "legally" ignore all OSHA regulations. However, if you invoke this exemption would you still be covered by Workman's Comp? By the company's insurance?

I worked in heavy construction -- high rise buildings, bridges, roads, etc., for 45 years. When I first started in the 1960's there was very little safety concerns. Your safety was up to you.
    Quite frankly, I was just as safe back then, if not more so, than when I retired in 2012. A different mindset of the workers back then?

No easy answers...

14. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Many people/workers today don’t have the common sense of a house cat. I put my hand into a bag of parts this morning and was rewarded with a hand full of loose razor knife blades. I asked what the heck they were doing in there and was told they put them in there so they would not rust. I was lucky what was supposed to be in the bag is pretty delicate so I was going gently into the bag and did not rip my hand up. But this is an example of how people think (or don’t think).

OSHA exists to keep employers honest. It does not matter how safely the worker is if they place they work in is a death trap, or they are working with deadly stuff with not protection or even knowledge of what they are working with etc.

Bannertail and Luafcm like this.
  15. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can't believe nobody recommended a Mining helmet yet

Manu Ferrum likes this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    While working in forest service , before you get off the truck the helmet is on.
    No shame in safety ,stuff falls from the trees all the time , that and rocks falling down hill sides.
    Let no one shame you out of wearing a helmet .
    I have a favorite aluminum utility helmet I wear cutting wood , but it's not appropriate for being stealthy while hunting . trick is having a short bill so it does not inhibit your vision ,branches just over head . Climbing helmets are ideal for this .
    I just might paint my utility helmet though . nice thing about it Is, retrieving water from a pond or stream , can't do that with many other helmets.

Swarvegorilla and werewolf won like this.
  17. Manu Ferrum

Manu Ferrum Sanguine Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You're likely considering it for good reason and as long as you're not pushing the weight of your kit too much by having it along then I'd say go for it. Like anything else in life it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If you carry it and nothing happens ok but if it saves your life just once it's worth twice it's weight in gold. I agree with brother Werewolf about the kayaking or climbing helmets though as they're more likely to provide the coverage you'd need, minus some additional weight, in the backcountry.

Swarvegorilla likes this.
  18. Manu Ferrum

Blog Posts:
    Never leave the house without my Wiley X's, whether it's driving, going to the range, chopping wood, etc...good call, brother.

19. Manu Ferrum

Blog Posts:
    Shiza...that's my go-to, I even sleep with one on!

20. Manu Ferrum

Blog Posts:
    Word.

Wolfcri and werewolf won like this.
  21. Manu Ferrum

Blog Posts:
    Never have ridden without full gear and never would...seen too many CRAZY random things happen to list here but each one made me clutch my helmet and thank the sweet lord. Geared out to the gills might be a bit much but a good crash helmet has saved my noggin more than a time or two...

morganbw and werewolf won like this.
  22. rk_az

rk_az Wandering Supporter

Blog Posts:
  23. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lots of people wear them gorge scrambling because of slips on rocks, its a good idea if the activity warrants it.
    [​IMG]
    I do a lot of summer and fall gorge scrambles and have seriously considered getting one after a bad slip on an algae covered rock.

If your hiking only though I wouldn't bother, I think you'd be better off going with someone. Cuts and musculoskeletal injuries are a bigger risk and are much more dangerous without someone else there to get help.

Also, make sure your helmet is certified for whatever activity you're going to be doing. Here is an interesting video on the difference between a certified and non-certified helmet:
    http://bmx.transworld.net/videos/arfs-certified-vs-non-certified-helmet-test/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  24. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bike helmets are also designed to imitate a bed pan, but have too many holes to be practical for the purpose.

Seriously, if you feel the need for a hardhat on the trail, werewolf won is right: use a climbers helmet. They are light, fit close, and protect more than the very top of your head.

Manu Ferrum and werewolf won like this.