Talon vs Legacy - Let's Talk About Them

Discussion in 'Wilderness Spirit' started by ncrockclimb, May 18, 2015.

1. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Scout

Blog Posts:
    Let me preface this by saying there is no right answer. Both models look great, and I think that any of us would be VERY happy with either knife.

I currently have an order with Tim for a Legacy. However, every time I see a Talon I am struck by how cool they look. The slight radius from tip to pommel is really (for lack of a better work) sexy! I am not sure how it would work, but it looks great. So great, that I continue to second guess my decision to buy a Legacy.

When I corresponded with Tim about the two knives, this is what he said: "Size of the Talon and Legacy are similar, as is the grind. The handle on the Legacy is a coke bottle shape. The handle on the Talon is kind of hour glass shape."

We all like Tim's work, and all either have one of his knives or want to have one soon. So, what has been your experience with the Talon vs the Legacy? What do you see as the pros and cons of each knife? I would love to see this thread blossom into an open ended conversation about two of Tim's most popular models.

One more thing - I am about ready to quit fussing about one vs the other and just order a matching set, Legacy and Talon! I will keep you posted on what I decide.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  2. RandyTLawhorn

RandyTLawhorn Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was in the same spot you were. So I just got on the list for both knives.
    I think the Legacy will be like many of the other bushcraft knives with a little better quality built in.
    The Talon is going to be out there all alone. There just doesn't seem to be anything built quite like the Talon.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to get Tim to build mine. So I can't do a real comparison.

3. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll tell ya what I think. You're right about "get both" that's always the correct answer assuming you can afford it.

I would go with gaboon ebony wood with yellow or red liners and brass pins on both. That would be hot :D

4. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm on the list for a legacy. But it's for a gift.

Knowing me, I'll hand the knife over used. He'll get over it.

I don't cut wood often. No lengthy carving sessions. So I rarely come across a handle shape that fatigues my hand. It's all good to me. Thank goodness I don't have an urge to hoard knives. I just want a few to use and love. I'd love either of those knives.

5. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is what I am thinking. However, I would really like to hear from someone who owns one and has used one. What is that curve like in practice?

Maybe Tim can weigh in here and share his thoughts on the design and why it is the way it is.

6. Ravens Watch

Ravens Watch Curmudgeon

Blog Posts:
    :6::33:

7. Ravens Watch

Ravens Watch Curmudgeon

Blog Posts:
    It's hard to describe (look back through his WIP or in the shop or whatever Tim calls it thread, my Talon is the ODG handle with black liners). I really like the feeling. It's a lot nicer than most of the woodlore styles I've had. It's kind of a weird medium between one of those and a Matt Paul type handle, if that makes any sense at all. The radius gives the whole thing a feeling of elegance and also puts the wrist in a slightly better position (more neutral) for cutting straight. That's not a big deal but still...

I've got or had AS Classics and Mountaineers, AA Forge woodlore styles, Grey Wolf woodlore styles, Orford woodlore styles and so on, plus MP Drifters and Bowies and God knows what else. The Talon feels quite different, but not in a jarring way at all.

8. Wilderness Spirit

Wilderness Spirit Scout Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I designed the Talon I wanted something a bit different and unique to Wilderness Spirit. I also wanted something other than a coke bottle shaped handle, but the knife had to be useful and comfortable. I decided to go with a hour glass shaped handle that I also round off with very little flat spots which I feel is a comfortable shape eliminating hot spots. The curved handle fits the hand with a natural grip . As for the blade , the curve is pretty much for looks. I felt a continual curve would give the knife a pleasing appearance. It is a bit wider at the guard than the Legacy, but the cutting edge of the Talon and Legacy are similar.
    With the different looks of the Talon I wasn't sure how well it would be received but so far it is looking positive. Just need to get more out and keep the feed back coming. It is the only knife I offer with the six pin configuration also.
    Thank you all for your interest in Wilderness Spirit . Tim

9. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the reply, Tim!

So, it would be great to hear from you Talon owners out there. How are you liking your knife. IMHO, it is hands down one of the coolest looking blades out there. It would be great to hear from someone who has put it to hard use.

10. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    you could be the first !!

no one has put it to hard use yet...If I was you ,I would get one from Tim and use it hard...take a bunch of pics ..then use it some more in wood and meat -just to make sure ...then write a full review on it , that would be nice

11. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Being a car guy the first thing that popped into my mind were... Eagle Talon vs Subaru Legacy!

Eagle Talon
    [​IMG]

Subaru Legacy
    [​IMG]

Though both are available in All-Wheel-Drive the carrying capacity and superior ground clearance of the Legacy get my vote for bushcraft related activities. :4:

12. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wish I could do that today. Unfortunately, due to the fact that Tim is making awesome knives, the wait list is backed up until November. Check back in 6 months and I will post a review!

13. Keyser Söze

Blog Posts:
    ^ 6 months. you got it :dblthumb:

14. Wilderness Spirit

Blog Posts:
    KS is correct . There aren't, many Talon users to post any reviews. New knife maker, new knife design. I am sure there will be some in time though.

15. tolesy

tolesy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will definitely write up a review once my name gets called :54:

16. Keyser Söze

Blog Posts:
    You can always do a nice reviewing pass-around on the forum -has been done many times - members who want ,can and know how to use a knife and post pics and write about it ...or we can wait 6 months...just puling your leg man , nice knives ...but yeah they need usage

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  17. Ravens Watch

Ravens Watch Curmudgeon

Blog Posts:
    Or you could just read and acknowledge the post written by a guy that has one and took time out of his life to try and answer your questions.

Or just keep saying "gee I wish some actual Talon owners would speak up", whichever.

18. Knifecraft

Knifecraft Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Yes there will...:3:

19. Wilderness Spirit

Blog Posts:
    Been thinking about doing that,might have to take the time to make one for a pass around or use my personal one

20. Wilderness Spirit

Blog Posts:
    I was hoping you would say that. Thanks Knifecraft

21. NVRDONE

NVRDONE Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been using my Talon a decent amount, not as much as I would like. I've been pulling 60 hour weeks lately. But I love it. Still getting used to the scandi grind, all my others are either convex or saber. You guys are making me want to get on the list for a Legacy now.

I'll be bringing out my Talon to the NNJ Tenkara meet next Thursday. Hopefully it will get some good use. Until then here is my favorite shots so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2015