Tarp setups for 7x10?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by woodsranger, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM.

1. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just picked up the BCO 7x10 tarp, and now I'd like your suggestions on the "best" configurations that fit the 7x10 shape. I'm a rookie at this, so simpler is better! I know the basic lean-to and a-frame setups, but is there anything else that blocks wind better and would also allow me to have a warming fire either inside or at the entrance?

I've seen a "plough" that looks like it might work, but can that be done with a rectangular 7x10?

MrFixIt likes this.
  2. batosai117

batosai117 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tagging along for the replies. I’ve never camped with just a tarp (I’ve always had a tent) and I’ve been looking at configurations for the BCO MEST setup 5x8 and the 10x10.

MrFixIt likes this.
  3. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @alukban... i think the 10x7 plowpoint is one of your favorites... got any pics to share here?

MrFixIt and alukban like this.
  4. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes it is @Seeker ! :)

I also have a 7x9 from BCUSA before they made 7x10’s.

I do happen to have a pic of 7x10 (dark brown, Silnylon) right next to a 5x7, “mated” together :D

You can see that I matched the short sides so you can get the length out of it and sacrifice some height. 10’ run along the ground will pretty much cover anybody - even Shaq. If you want more hanging space to sit, run the 7’ length along the ground instead.

(the one on the right is the 7x10 - my kid is about 4’ 10”)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the smaller BCUSA poncho is excellent as a plowpoint or diamond setup for a single person and that is only about 5x8. It will be low but one can lift the back end and stuff/chink the light with debris to gain height/volume. The poncho is pretty much the smallest I would use with a hammock - would run the whole thing super close to the ground and use uneven terrain to help close “the sides” towards expected weather.

(BCUSA poncho is semi-plow mode in my apartment)
    [​IMG]

The 7x10 is really neat for hammocks BTW because I have found a config “on paper” which works with a 5x7 MEST that allows you to seal off one end of a hammock very well, particularly if one added velcro on the edges. If set up on a slope, sealing one end thusly can be very helpful.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 7:13 AM
  5. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    AHA! A "plow" not "plough." I'll do a search and try to find a video that shows how to set it up to get that shape. Looks like it'll stop wind from 3 sides and let me have a fire in front of it too.

Thanks!

MrFixIt and alukban like this.
  6. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use these same tarps and configurations quite often which are in this vid.

7. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok. This isn't a BCO tarp like your but rather an old Integral Designs. I prefer the old ID or Rab tarps (same tarps) to the BCO for their quality of materials and better stitching.

Anyway, here's the possibility of an tarp shelter.

MrFixIt likes this.