Tarp Suggestions

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by CharClothed, Mar 11, 2018.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So tomorrow I'm donating my Guide Gear Emergency Shelter Tarp, think it's like 10x12 but I can't be sure. I'm giving it to Andrew Lin of Adventure Archives because his current tarp is rather large, bulky, and heavy. We've talked about it and he has mentioned wanting a ultralight tarp that's rather big. Think he'll like it.

I'm looking for a square tarp with lots of guy out points and large enough for any shelter I might want to make. I'm looking at the BO tarp but I also want some other suggestions if you have it. Please send them my way.

2. Hook

Hook Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like the specs on the one in the bcusa store. I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet but is on my list of things I just can't live without, which is man code for "darling wife manages the finances and disagrees with my idea" lol.
    Seriously though, looks like an great product.

3. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    DD 3x3 is 3 meters by 3meters, our cousins on the other side of the pond seem fond of the build quality of that brand.

Otherwise check out the hammock makers most of them offer various tarps.

Odinborn and Kreger like this.
  4. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Aqua Quest defender tarp is the best I've ever seen as far as durable and leak proof. They may be considered heavy by some tho.

Glock Holiday and PaPa K like this.
  5. Avohei

Avohei Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Those are great for a first tarp. I have a 10*13 that I've used once. Got a bco 10*10 which has kept my dry just fine and never used the aqua quest one again. I'm pretty much a bco customer for life.

stillscout and ReallyBigMonkey1 like this.
  6. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the BO 10x10 and have no complaints. My next tarp will be from BO as well. Just not sure if I will ever need another.

7. fishhunter904

fishhunter904 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Seriously try one of the BCUSA tarps, start small with a mest poncho tarp and you will see when you get your hands on it that you cannot beat the quality and price, It's a great mix of light, pack-able but very durable like surplus gear. Everything you want in a "bushcraft tarp"

stillscout and DomC like this.
  8. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1
    It's durability is what sold me.

9. CharClothed

Blog Posts:
    So I'm looking at Aqua Quest and actually LOVE one of their tarps. The Safari Series Extra Large. It's just so huge and amazing. I just love the insane size of it but how would I even use it. I just find it cool and funny.

ReallyBigMonkey1 likes this.
  10. GreatLakesWoodsman

GreatLakesWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bushcraft outfitters 10x10 tarp, hands down. Mine is one of my most prized possessions.

stillscout and Longhunter1761 like this.
  11. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    My setup is NOT what you're looking for but a testament to tarps in general as underrated and multi use kit. My canvas French army tent is to heavy for a backpack and I have a personal dislike for plastic anything. I picked up two Plash Palatkas after initially dismissing them as the latest surplus fad. I think they are related to coat hangers and rabbits because after a few months my closet now holds five of the damned things. They make a surprisingly decent rain cape even if people think you're going to a JRR TOLKIEN or HARRY POTTER reenactment. I HAD six but one went to a young homeless girl with severe emotional problems from sexual abuse. She was panhandling in our recent CA rains in a thin hoodie and a soaked acrylic blanket looking like Linus from PEANUTS. I bought her breakfast and returned with one plash, a wool army blanket, mittens and watchcap. A few days and daily meals later she actually talked to me beyond a few words avoiding eye contact. I was able to get her help and that damned commie tarp IS her security blanket and the social workers tell me she wears it daily.
    Saint Martin in the fields; bishop of Tours was a roman cavalry officer. He came upon a man in the cold and cut his cloak in half to share. That night he dreamed Jesus came to him revealing he was the man. In the morning Martin found his cloak restored to full size. So there you go, a Patron Saint for tarp and poncho Buschrafters.

12. Dave L.

Dave L. Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like my Etowah Outfitters 10x10 tarp that I've been using for 3+ years (Full disclosure: I am a bit bias because I became a dealer for them last year). Making a tarp isn't rocket science so my favorite thing about it is that the materials and construction are 100% US Made. That may not be important to you, but it is to me.

GarageGrumpy, marbleman and UAHiker like this.
  13. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ditto. they used to make the tarps for BCUSA as well.

Dave L. likes this.
  14. IowaSteve

IowaSteve Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What about those of us trying to do this on a limited budget? I cant spend $100 on a tarp. Anyone else feel the same?

MrFixIt likes this.
  15. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have DD tarps and been happy with them. The first one (3x4m)didn't feel so bad as I still worked and was then, so had money to splurge on myself. The second (3x3m ul) stung a bit, but still way under the 100€ mark.

@thereandbackagain you are a remarkable and good person. You look around and see. Helping someone who is that small in the big scene is a huge deal.
    I wish there was more folk like you <3
    I did a similar thing some 25years ago, will never forget the gratitude it gave us both. Small thing for me, a great deal to someone with less luck in life.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  16. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Bushcrafter with a Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp in 12x12 that I suspend over camp and my kid's use a Kelty Noah's tarp in 9x9 over their hammocks. No complaints thus far. I've owned the 12x12 for over 6 years now.
    I use an ENO SuperFly over my Hammock and no complaints on that either....

LongAgoLEO and Foilist like this.
  17. CharClothed

Blog Posts:
    I was looking at differences between the Etowah Outfitters and Bushcraft Outfitters Tarps and I'm going to probably go with the Bushcraft Outfitters one. They are about the same price but the reason I chose the BCUSA one is mostly the stitching and length of tie outs. That and it's a couple oz's lighter than the Etowah I believe.

Now is there a coupon code I wonder. I was going to get a jump starter next month, but I'll get the tarp instead. Can always get the jump starter in may.

18. Longhunter1761

Longhunter1761 Flatlander Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You can buy BCO tarp for under $100.

stillscout and Red Ochre like this.
  19. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    Go to a paint store, preferably family owned and not a big box and pick up a painter's groundcloth and buy a grommet kit on EvilBAY. If you want 100 percent waterproofing there are some good wax blends that are rubbed on and then finished with a heat gun or simple iron.

20. stillscout

stillscout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have three from BCO. If I need another (no time soon) it will be from BCO!
    Uwharrie 2 29 14 003.JPG Woods Gear 5-3-2014 032.JPG

Rooks likes this.
  21. stillscout

stillscout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This would make for an expensive and heavy alternative. A lot of us here with tarp camping experience aren't fond of grommets. They tend to pull out under heavy tension.

camp casey and Dave L. like this.
  22. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm still in the tarp trial phase, but enjoying what I've experienced with them. I'm using a $12 Tractor Supply 10x12 right now, so there are less expensive options out there. Harbor Freight has them even cheaper, and blue light duty ones are even less. If you're ready, you can even cut the extra 2' off one end and make them 10x10.

I have a $30 per month bushcraft budget. When I pull the trigger on a BCO 10x10 I know I'll be upgrading to a great quality tarp that will last, be lighter, and have tie-outs, and just save up for 2-3 months.

23. Swampyankee

Swampyankee Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The tarp that I usually use is from BCO. Another tarp that I have that I really like is the 8 x 8 oilskin tarp from Tentsmiths. It’s bombproof and has lots of tie outs. The only drawback is that it’s significantly heavier than ripstop nylon.

24. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    If there is a fourth dimension to tarps; even a thin mil plastic tarp in an emergency situation gives service far exceeding the fanciest knife or titanium port a potty. When I packed mules one punched through the ice just enough to get thoroughly soaked before we got her out. This one fool wanted to push on ASAP. I
    stripped her rig and pinned my own camp blanket and the manty ( packer talk for the tarp that covers everything under your spider hitch) on her after scraping most of the water off and a small feed of grain to boost her internal furnace and avoid colic. I forget what was hoisted by rope up a big pine that required a return trip to retrieve, probably that titanium porta potty. That Molly forever buddied up with me and got better and better until everyone wanted to use her.
    We talk over minutae of kit. Sometimes instead of becoming tangled up in finding the best cordage it's better to just buy some laundry line from the dollar store now and sort out what works for us better down the trail.

Young Blacksmith likes this.
  25. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    The BCO tarp is the way to go, searched around and a few weeks ago I got mine... It's lightweight and extremely well made-you won't be disappointed

26. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If you have sewing skills or you know someone who does you should be able to manage a nice one from an old nylon tent.

My local thrift store always has tents for under $10 that will yield quite a bit of material.

27. ACrawford36

ACrawford36 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    BCO 10x10. When I first saw them and other tarps for over $20 I thought ain't no way I'll ever spend that on a tarp. Higher end tent I would spend the money on. But over the last few years I wanted to use a tarp. Finally this year I bought one. OD 10x10. I wanted the multicam but thought there's no way I'll spend that on a tarp. Now I plan to buy the multicam 10x10 and leave the OD in my truck as an emergency tarp. Love the one I have. Wish I'd got it long ago. Perfect size for solo. So many different set ups you can use as well. I just seam sealed in when I got it. Had a light rain last weekend, no problem.

28. Macrosill

Macrosill Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I completely understand. I don't get to do overnights enough to justify that much for s tarp. I have made 2 tarps myself. I tried a drop cloth tarp with Thompsons water seal but it was heavy. The one I have now is made from a king size Egyptian cotton bed sheet. It is just under 10 x 10. I did a BLO and mineral spirits water proofing. It is nice and has lots of tie outs. Is it perfect, no but it was fun to make and I like it.

Anything that keeps the rain off and wind out is good.