Tarp Tie outs

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by backlasher, Nov 7, 2018.

1. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've been given some 1/8 inch elastic cord. Is it a good idea to use it by itself as tarp tie outs or as a short section in some other cord? I've never had one of the tarp loops tear out but I can see that a high wind could tear one out if the cord didn't have at least some stretch.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You can use it as a shock absorber for tarps... basically tie two loops in the tie out line, say 1' apart. then put a piece of shock cord in between them, say 8" worth... you'll hold tension on the line, but it won't overstretch the bungi because it 'bottoms out' when it gets stretched to the 1' mark. hope that makes sense.

I used to use those smaller 6" bungies with small hooks in them for my hennessy rig.

backlasher, oddjob35 and NevadaBlue like this.
  3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like that idea. :dblthumb:

backlasher likes this.
  4. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have some setup similar to what seeker mentioned. Works well, ant the little bit of give helps keep things snug even when breezy .

backlasher and NevadaBlue like this.
  5. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I tend to use a ranger band tied on at the end of the tie out line (or tied with a larks head knot through the tarp loop if staking the tarp direct to the ground) and then put my stakes through the loop of the ranger band. This allows the tension on the tie out to be maintained (even if the tie out gets wet and stretches a bit), but allows some "give" if the wind picks up and so protects the tarp and its grommets/loops. If the tie out is going to actually be tied to a tree instead of staked down then the trick suggested above works well …. two small loops in the tie out line about a foot apart and then the loops tied together with about 6 inches of shock cord so there is a loose loop of the tie out which stops the shock cord stretching after about 6 inches.

I have seen some pre-made shock cord loops with a hard plastic ball on one end. The loop of shock cord is passed thru a grommet in a tarp and the ball stops it pulling thru. This loop can either be pegged directly or have some sort of tie out line added to it. Just a bit more bulky and heavy compared to half a dozen ranger bands.

Hope this helps.

OJ

backlasher likes this.