Tarp tipi tent for winter camping

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by Quinlan, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Has anyone done a DIY tarp tipi tent for use in extreme weather conditions? I am not only thinking of temperature, although that is a big part, so I suppose a stove option is a must. It's also the rain and the wind, especially if camping outside of the protective canopy of a forest, in plains or hills without any trees around you.

I have seen many YouTube videos with DIY tarp tipi setups and I wonder if I should go down that route, instead of spending a house and the dog to purchase a good tipi tent.

Regards,

Christos

2. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sell the house and the dog, and buy a nice tipi and live in it full time! ;)

Maybe that's a little extreme.....

So, here is the thing. Where do tipi tents come from? Do they grow on trees? Are they hatched from eggs? Do they just appear out of nowhere? Nope. They are made. If someone else can make a nice tipi, then so can you. :)

In my opinion, and I could be wrong, but I think too often "diy" projects are often linked to shoddy work, in people's minds. There is no reason why a diy job cannot be as good as the finest product out there. Set your goal, and grab onto it. In my construction career, I have seen some diy work that wasn't worth the time to take it apart, and I have seen some that rivaled the finest carpentry out there. It's all on how much you put into it. :) Granted, some extreme projects might be out of reach of some folks abilities or such, but I still think with the info available today that pretty much anything is in reach. :)

I have never made a tipi, so I'm at the same stage as you here. :) But I'll help as much as I can. Some points to ponder, and these may be valuable points:

How big do you need it to be? Just for you or you and others?

How long do you expect to be camping?

How long do you want it to last?

Are you going to carry it in, or be vehicle camping? Maybe haul it in some kind of cart?

Will you be bringing support poles with you, or finding something onsite?

Do you already have a tarp you are thinking about using?

My thoughts:

If you will be using this In a windy area, I would assume that the lower to the ground the top is, the more stable it would be? Short and squatty would also be easier to heat.

If you already have a tarp, that sets the size of your shelter.

That's all I have right now. :) I'll have to think more about this. I have a couple of tarps but have never used them for a tipi before.

3. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

@gohammergo, thank you for the reply, lots of food for thought there. Let me dissect it and reply to the best of my ability.:D
    ApprehensiveMinorGrub-size_restricted.gif

If I was alone (no wife) and with a decent plot of land somewhere, I would go for it.
    :dblthumb:

I like your thinking a lot.:)
    This
    Is what interests me a lot. Truth be told, I am trying to keep the cost of my bushcrafting hobby/lifestyle as low as possible and the DIY approach helps a lot with that. However, to create something with personal effort makes everything more satisfying/rewarding IMHO. :)

Thank you, what you're saying makes absolute sense to me. Plus I am not worried about failing. Yes, I will feel the sting if I destroy a good tarp in my effort, but in the end I would get over it. The fun and reward is in the process as well as the end result. :)

I think i want too many things and some may be in conflict with others. Answering questions will definitely help clarify the process. :)

For two persons with space for our packs. I see it as either my wife and I or me and another friend doing hiking. With enough head space to sit out a heavy rain, while sitting comfortably on our collapsible camping chairs, without stooping.

A week. Not looking for a semi-permanent shelter.

Carry it in, rucksack-attached. Definitely not looking into superheavy materials suitable only for vehicle camping. While I am not an ultra light fan, I like the exercise of a substantial weight to carry and the way my physical condition is now and will be maintained for another 10 years at least if not more, I want to have something that I can carry while hiking, not just a couple of miles to a camping spot. I want a heavy weight to carry for miles, not so heavy that it becomes a burden right from the start.

I envision a central support which can be the trekking poles attached to each other, or a branch of suitable length. I would love to have a setup with many support poles forming the conical shape of a tipi, because I understand it would be more stable like that, but i want to be able to set the tent even when there's nothing to use onsite, hence the idea of using the trekking poles.

I don’t and I know i will have to invest some money on a good one of suitable size for my needs. The only thing I have is a ground tarp that is heavy and weak at the same time. Last month I set it up for a hammock cover and just pulling it tight ripped the material. I have to get a proper material that will withstand use and elements.

Regards,

Christos

Bobsdock likes this.
  4. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    as one who has spent many nights in a RANGE TEPEE(untreated cotton canvass) i can attest to their stability and weather resistance

sadly for this discussion mine and those of my friends... a good quality range tepee is HEAVY and bulky

there are several ready made tepees out there on the market that do fit your weight goals

here are a couple i found w/o too much trouble

https://www.hikeroutlet.com/product...waterproof-windproof-backpacking-hiking-tent/

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...8039-backcountry-teepee-tent-system?a=2164421

and of course there is the Black Diamond Megamid Tepee that has been around for quite a while

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=black+di...=c&hvqmt=p&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_2wh7cfdkt7_p

beating the price of the 1st 2 listings for just the materials alone will be challenging

the Black Diamond is only somewhat more spendy

there are some out there that are modular and you can pick n choose which features you want (floor netting stake n pole sets...)

this style of tepee which is already made does take away from the DIY side butt virtually guarantees a dry night's sleep

BON CHANCE

Quinlan likes this.
  5. castle22

castle22 Scout

Blog Posts:
  6. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Thank you for reminding me @castle22. I had read @riverjoe's thread about your tent and then forgot about it. Really useful now that I am thinking about the DIY for myself.

So, tyvek... no idea about construction, that's what they use to cover the walls of buildings, right?

Thinking about a tent, breathability and waterproofing came to mind. A single wall tent, how would tyvek deal with condensation and be waterproof at the same time? I was going to ask you about it, then I found these two videos that convinced me about the validity of this material:

However, then I found these two:

Am I right in thinking that I am overthinking it and that for tent purposes it is a good material, or not?

@66drifter, thank you for your post. I don't even have a tarp right now, so i am prepared to consider all alternatives, both DIY and non-DIY ones. And at the very least, if I fail on the DIY I can always go with a reasonable priced tent if all else fails. :)

Regards,

Christos

7. castle22

castle22 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tyvek will not be breathable in use as a tent fabric. You will need vents to let steam out. I didn’t watch the videos, but the thumbnails show different types of Tyvek. The clothing type is different from the Homewrap, (which I used).

You’re right that you’re overthinking it. ;) And as for a waterproof and breathable fabric, I view it the same as Bigfoot....I spend a lot of time outdoors but I haven’t seen one yet.

Quinlan likes this.
  8. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Howdy Quinlan

My good friend spent 219 days living in a pup tent 2 years ago in Western Canada,,, then last year he moved into his full time affordable home with heat in the fall of 2018

He made a few insulated floors he left in the forests to help keep it warm on the nasty winter months...

He's quit the out doors type person as he travels every where to any where...

The nice thing about his new home is it cost him next to nothing...

It paid for its self in 2 week,,, rent would of cost him $1000 to $1600 a month """Cnd funds""" ,,, after the 2 weeks it was paid for...

He's closing in on day 500+ days rent free,,, he saved $65.600 Cnd funds,,, that's just on rent alone...

Yes it can be done,,, he cleans up in the rivers and streams from spring to fall and uses rec centers to shower up in the winter months...

I'm more of a hard shell camper dude on the cold days since my extenda cab trucks all have back seat living set-ups,,, soon to have a pickup truck box cover... Ha

And yes,,, I'm about to jump on board with one of these frugal winter time tents coming up...

I like the idea of fire resistant material,,, I'll pick up a small folding wood stove for the back woods and use my frugal propane stove that vents fumes """out-side the tent...

I'm very cautious when it comes to fire and fumes,,, all of us should be this way...

Cheers from Northern Don

Best price going for a lifetime of living off grid,,, and easy to store and pack...

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collections/lightweight-camping-tents

Quinlan likes this.
  9. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    With a large enough tarp for could wrap it around a tripod made of trees fairly easily leaving a vent at the peak. My inability to sew strait lines has kept me from trying tentmaking so far but I really want a silnylon Baker style tent as described by Bill Mason. Nylon can be had cheap and I don’t know of any single wall tent that is breathable and waterproof.

Quinlan likes this.
  10. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Quinlan likes this.
  11. Anthonysaudiojournal

Anthonysaudiojournal Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg
    Stock photo from Locus Gear image.jpeg image.jpeg

I bought a Locus Gear Khafra pyramid shelter a few years ago and love it. I have not been out in winter with it but I think it would do fine. Eventually I plan on putting in a stove jack and using a winnerwell or Gstove heat view inside for winter months. i also just got a polish lavvu and plan on experimenting with it too. It was only $50, the khafra was over $300 but it weighs less than 3 lbs.

12. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

For better or worse I am committed now.

I got this tarp twice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Gea...desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi

It's 3m x 3m. I wanted two, in order to try the Far North Bushcraft And Survival approach:

I won't do the gorilla tape though. I will stitch them together. Hand stitching... it would take forever... Hm... I am seriously tempted because I am not in a hurry... the only thing holding me back is that I cannot easily hold a line and this is serious stitching, not like a diy leather pouch...

We'll see. :)

Regards,

Christos

13. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I wonder how stapling it together would work? How about maybe stapling it to keep everything lined up the way you want it, and then sew it together, and pull the staples as you sew it? I have never tried such a thing before, but I just wonder if it would work....:33:

Quinlan and NevadaBlue like this.
  14. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Find a good used Janome sewing machine . Buy the most expensive thread you can find .
    This is easily learned and pretty idiot proof . Don’t get a rugged old iron monster Singer or such . They are a pain to operate and especially to thread . You may have to spend a day practicing but you’ll. Be shocked how fast. You can learn .
    I spent many frustrating hours rethreading
    my old singer after my cheap thread broke for a bout the hundredth time .
    The Janome is incredibly easy to thread .

I just use an iron to fold over a seam iron it and then follow the crease with th sewing machine . I usually. Use a zig zag stitch for every thing cause it’s a lot easier to rip out if you screw things up

Quinlan and NevadaBlue like this.
  15. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well, I have several Singers and love them all. Bad thread will make any machine look like crap.

Christos, can you get Tyvek tape there? If so consider that. Made for taping tyvek together of course.

KFF, 66drifter, Quinlan and 1 other person like this.
  16. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    I know I know people swear by their old Singers . I have a big Kenmore iron beast too . My buddy swears that’s a great machine too ,but he’s been sewing for years . I’m just saying the Janome is idiot proof .

Quinlan, camp casey and NevadaBlue like this.
  17. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    :4:

I have a Kenmore too.

:9:

Quinlan and riverjoe like this.
  18. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Wonder what Mr Seamster @camp casey uses . He’s n knocking out hot tents like a factory .

He’s sort of a celebrity in sewing circles . The sailcloth supplier down by me wrote up a big article on him and his hot tents

19. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I hope he chimes in. I still want to make a teepee out of my parachute.

20. lodge camper

lodge camper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    love tyvek tape. so many uses. best tape for winterizing and plugging leaks in tents, tarps, airbeds, ect.

21. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    You mean your going to give up
    Skydiving !!!

22. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Some China man did that long ago. I got it surplus. :4:

riverjoe, Quinlan and camp casey like this.
  23. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    AA5779EB-76B2-415D-86D8-C67810A087C4.jpeg
    I use a yard sale singer made in the fifty’s in the UK, heavy as sin, the main thing is using good quality outdoor polyester thread, if you can easily break it don’t use it.
    Waiting on stove jack material to wrap up a couple of tents I’m working on, will post as soon as there done, good luck.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    KFF, gargoyle, riverjoe and 1 other person like this.
  24. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    Always wanted to build a teepee out of lightweight fabric.

gargoyle, riverjoe and Quinlan like this.
  25. Robert Schmidt

Robert Schmidt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi,

For some good advice and inspiration, take a look at the following Website. This is were I got my Tipi/Tschum. Superb work and they share all their cuttings and designs on the website for DIY:

https://tschum.de/shop_content.php?coID=3210125

Good luck & have fun with it.

Best Regards,
    Rob

camp casey and Quinlan like this.
  26. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Thank you everyone for the advice. I am already having fun thinking about doing it. :)

Cannot wait to start the work.

Regards,

Christos

camp casey and Young Blacksmith like this.
  27. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    You guys and your high dollar thread...

If you spend more than fifty cents a spool you are throwing money away.

:18::18::18:

28. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

I have started studying relevant youtube videos in an effort to learn how to use a sewing machine and do sewing...

giphy.gif RapidDimwittedLadybug-size_restricted.gif UltimateDimCamel-max-1mb.gif

:D

Regards,

Christos

KFF, gargoyle and camp casey like this.
  29. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The cat seems pretty good, but the other two may be more what not to do.... ;)

30. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Tarps arrived today.

20190817_125347.jpg

Won't need a 6m x 6m. What's going to be left will make do nicely for lightweight waterproof material.

So, no tyvek or other DIY material. For a first tent-making project I didn't want to start from scratch.

Regards,

Christos

KFF and camp casey like this.
  31. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Since I started this thread here, I will use it to document any progress in my tent build-up.

Going on holiday tomorrow. Family holiday, not much bushcraft planned. Still FSK, a couple of knives and other stuff will accompany me.

Some of the other stuff are the two tarps for the teepee. I will take them and if i have the time will cut them to desired size and take them to a professional seamstress to sew the edges and the two lengths together. Why not? After all I don't know when I'll purchase a sewing machine and in the absence of storing space for anything extra, not likely in the immediate future.

Something else:

20190819_165038.jpg

I am going to make my own connector straps for the trekking poles in case they will pull tent pole duty. I found this image online:

URmg_xA9.jpeg

And will copy it. Looks like a better alternative than two individual straps to me. Out of velcro and webbing leftovers. This I can sew on my own with my trusty Speedy Stitcher.

Regards,

Christos

KFF, Don_Parsons and Young Blacksmith like this.
  32. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Finished making the connector strap.

20190902_131656.jpg 20190902_131631.jpg

It feels very solid. Of course the proof is in the pudding, so i will have to pitch a small tarp tent and try it in windy conditions.

I am not going to wait to do the cutting and sewing of the tarps. I have found a single pole tarp configuration I can try with just the 3mx3m, no cutting necessary.

Regards,

Christos

KFF, gohammergo and Young Blacksmith like this.
  33. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Does anybody have experience with lashing two trekking poles together?

I was looking at mine and realised that connecting them like that may work for a rocky ground or a pebble beach where there is no punching through soil to secure the bottom end of the pole. For punching through soil this makes more sense:

20190903_125642.jpg

Regards,

Christos

KFF likes this.
  34. Atlas McInness

Atlas McInness Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:

Quinlan likes this.
  35. Atlas McInness

Atlas McInness Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I plan on making this one from Far North Bushcraft this fall, looks like a solid design. I also picked up most of the material for making his sheet metal stove at the local salvaged building materials shop for $3.

Quinlan likes this.
  36. gargoyle

gargoyle Scout

Blog Posts:
    One handle up, one handle down can help in soft soil/sand.