Tarptent, SMD or Lightheart? Opinions? (Cross post)

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Juany118, May 31, 2018.

1. Juany118

Juany118 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Okay I have narrowed my backpacking tent to one of three; the Tarptent MoTrail, Six-Moons Designs Duo and the Lightheart Duo.

They all seem solid. The MoTrail being a better price, the SMD Duo seems to have more useable space, the Lightheart Duo can be had in multiple colors, including camo, which would help with stealth camping in some areas, though the gray of the other two would be bad either.

Anyone with experience with any of the above. I keep bouncing between the three because I am not sure on the quality or design execution of any of them.

Thanks

2. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    The SMD has more room and side entrance (easier to get in and out) but is pretty heavy. Only 6oz lighter than my cheap Chinese freestanding tent. And the Flycreek UL2 is lighter as well.

I don't like the exposed seam on the bathtub floor on the Lightheart. It screams leak issues to me. Also are the ends not ventilated? Could cause issues with condensation dripping into the tent verse going through mesh and out of the tent. I'd say the other two are better designs.

3. Tiogatires

Tiogatires Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the Motrail. And highly recommend it. Pack is a Seek Outside Gila, also highly recommended. I think under 5.5 for both. I picked up the rear, short pole for the Motrail, but like the two trekking pole setup for the front personally. It can bet set up with a single trekking pole in front as well.

81BCE5A8-F70B-4522-9FF1-54E569BDCB54.jpeg 8531D4B2-2FD6-42DB-B601-5FCA36911A2C.jpeg

Winterhorse, xrayit and UAHiker like this.
  4. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    do you have room for your pack inside or do you put in front outside in the vestibule? i'm really digging it especially for just 1 person

Winterhorse and Tiogatires like this.
  5. Tiogatires

Tiogatires Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For one person the pack would more than likely fit in there. My daughter and I have room with packs in the vestibule.

Winterhorse and UAHiker like this.