Tea for a guy who doesn't like tea.

Discussion in 'Food' started by Duncsquatch, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Same here; at about 41 (almost 2 yrs ago) I switched to tea and have barely had any coffee since then.

I need to get some Assam to try...

bacpacjac and BradGad like this.
  2. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fast lane is probably my very favorite tea ever, thankfully I'm only 10 minutes from the factory and can just swing by, I hesitated to recommend it since I don't think you can get it anywhere else.
    The Morning thunder has a tiny bit of a burnt flavor to me from the roasting.

bacpacjac and beestokk like this.
  3. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I found both available online but will keep my eyes out locally. I didn't think celestial seasonings did anything but bedtime herbal teas hahaha...now I know better.

Side note, I do a lot of loose tea too, using this Teavana Brewer - it's great and replaces a tea ball - scoop your tea in, add water, steep, then set on mug and the bottom has a little pressure valve that drains the tea into the mug. Teavana out of business but I'm sure someone makes something similar. I bought a backup before they closed. That's an almond fruit tea in there this morning.
    IMG_20190201_082021.jpg

4. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Found some Morning Thunder locally tonight. It will be tomorrow's morning tea after which I'll report back!

bacpacjac and BradGad like this.
  5. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Guide

Blog Posts:
    You are not alone! I am in the same boat. I have tried several of the suggestions mentioned in this thread and have yet to find something I enjoy. It all tastes like hot water and is unpalatable to me. I know I am supposed to drink hot liquids in the woods when the temps drop, but my body is not having any of it. So I don't force myself to be miserable. I just drink more water and am still alive. :)

6. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tried the Morning Thunder today, still have some hot in my insulated bottle. I like it! Definitely like a tea/coffee hybrid feel. I like coffee but sometimes it messes with my head and gives me a headache or migraine, not sure why (don't think it's the caffeine as other caffeinated drinks or foods don't do that to me)...anyways, hoping this one won't do the same and if not I can see it becoming a nice robust option to my rotation!

bacpacjac likes this.
  7. I dream in green

I dream in green Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a fan of tea either, but I do find peppermint tea acceptable.

You can also try mixing your coffee with your Coco to give it that caffeinated punch

8. smokee

smokee Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Rooibos Tea from ZA is my favorite. Chai Tea is also full of flavor and spice

bacpacjac likes this.
  9. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    Burman coffee and tea has a great selection of unroasted coffee, premium tea and herbal tea. Below are just a few herbal teas I tried and like. The chamomile and lavender are really good before bed, those just might be your cup of tea

Turmeric Cider
    https://burmancoffee.com/product/tea/turmeric-organic-cider/
    Normal Rooibus
    https://burmancoffee.com/product/tea/rooibos-organic-south-africa-red-bush/
    Energizer herbal tea
    https://burmancoffee.com/product/tea/energizer-herbal/
    Chamomile spice
    https://burmancoffee.com/product/tea/chamomile-spice/
    Lavender sleepy time
    https://burmancoffee.com/product/tea/lavender-sleepy-time/

bacpacjac likes this.
  10. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Grandmother was a good Down East English Yankee, and i got my idea/knowledge of tea from her. I was allowed to drink tea at the age of 4 but not coffee ( like granddad) because of the caffeine in coffee.(?) Forget green, herbal, or favored teas. USE GOOD BLACK LOOSE TEA! Put in in a pot of boiling water and steep. Drink black. Never waist anything so when you need more tea just add water and more tea. Eventually you will end up with something that resembles tar patch. This will make you a real tea drinker or knock yeh off it for good. Yes there should be a leaves in the bottom of the cup or yeh can't tell fortunes.

11. Sleepswithbears

Sleepswithbears Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I did this in December and January. At first I used the Swiss Miss pouches. Then I made my own Coco mix. Just add to black coffee and viola i call it the white trash mocha

bacpacjac likes this.
  12. 9 Iron

9 Iron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’ve come to find that a simple cup of PG Tips is usually plenty good enough. It’s the tea version of a plain ol cup of black coffee. Straightforward, tasty and basic, not to mention portable, readily available and easy to prepare (boil warer, drop in, discard bag). I had tried several variations of instant coffee for times I wanted to carry nothing more than a micro stove and tin cup to boil a cup of water but found it severely lacking. A teabag of PG Tips works perfectly and is quite satisfying. Goes well with a pipe in the woods.

13. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As for herbal teas, Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger is good, as is the Lemon Zinger with lemon and lemongrass. All the Zinger teas have Hibiscus in them.
    The "Jamaica" or Hibiscus mentioned has many uses in many countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roselle_(plant) Thailand apparently produces a high quality product.

[​IMG]

A long time ago in Thailand, I drank a fairly weak green tea with Jasmine flowers in it. Just enough to color it so you knew the water had been boiled. Restaurants served a weak tea instead of water.

It's been years since I made any Sassafras tea. I like it.

bacpacjac likes this.
  14. 11C1P

11C1P Tracker

Blog Posts:

I don't like or drink coffee or tea, but when I was a kid my mom & sisters used to make russian tea, which I liked a lot, especially if I had a cold. I don't remember all the ingredients, but I remember one was tang, I think cinnamon was another. Now thinking about it, I might I have to call my mom or do a web search for russian tea.

15. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @bluecow what you have here ^^^^ is what we Scots call 'Tinkers tea' black loose leaf boiled on the campfire until it resembles tar, strong enough to stand a spoon upright in. :) :44:
    Regards
    David

SoreFeet, bacpacjac and 45jack like this.
  16. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got so caught up in reading all these suggestions and all, that I forgot to like any of them.
    Now I've got to go back and read them all again, take notes, and hit the like button, cause I do!
    I too am in my 40s and recently, last couple years, have slowly been transitioning to tea as well.
    Mostly enjoy black tea, Bigalow Earl Grey is probably my favorite with a bit of raw honey.
    I still have a hard time turning away from a good Columbian or French Roast coffee, though my stomach just can't take too much of it anymore.
    Next time I'm at the store, I'm going to have to pick up a few different flavors now based on the plethora of suggestions put out by you fine group of enablers.

17. Portage_Monster

Portage_Monster Experiencing Wanderlust Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not much into tea, but there are a few that I'll drink in the winter when I want something hot to drink but it's too late for coffee. Lately I've been on a raspberry hibiscus kick and it's actually pretty good. To supercharge it I'll add honey, lemon juice and brandy and there's no bug I can't kick.

Guttersnipe, bacpacjac and beestokk like this.
  18. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You need to try the “tea” @Alanguyan brews. He’s from Vietnam, I’m afraid to ask which end of it. The stuff he brews and laughs as he serves it up is as close to poison as I’ve ever had, I swear he’s still trying to kill us Yankee dogs with it. You might not like it, but you’ll at least know the strongest tea can get and still be held in a metal container :)

Guttersnipe and bacpacjac like this.
  19. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    NOT you grandmother's tea:
    lapsang.jpg
    Had my first cup last night. A tea experience like none I've had in the past.

20. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Gotta try some lapsang. I've been able to find twinnings makes it but online only so far can I find it.

21. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am copying my own post here, from another thread (Smokey Tea)... apologies if that is considered bad form. I just thought it belonged in both threads.

~

Some may have read James Michener’s Centennial. It’s how I was introduced to Lapsang Souchong. This would have been in the 70s.

Alexander McKeag is one of the first mountain men, a gentle Scotsman who is tough as old leather. The Rendezvous starts many years after he goes into the West and partners with Pasquinel. Here, he is at his first Rendezvous.

~

McKeag bought nothing, would not even look seriously at anything. He had so simplified his life that he had all he required; his lead and powder he bought at regular intervals from whoever was passing his lonely camp. To indulge in something like sweetened peaches was beyond his imagination. And yet at this rendezvous he savored something so enticing that he would ever thereafter be its slave.

In the late afternoon he was standing by a tent run by a trapper-merchant from Oregon, an Englishman named Haversham, the only man at the rendezvous in European dress, and Haversham asked, “Care for a cup of tea?” It had been a long time since McKeag had drunk tea and he said, “Don’t mind if I do.”

The Englishman had two china cups and a small porcelain pot. Washing the cups with steaming water, he took down a square brown tin, opened the top carefully and placed a small portion of leaves in the pot. To McKeag they bore no visible difference from the tea leaves his mother had used, but when Haversham poured him a cup and he took his first sip, an aroma unlike any he had ever known greeted him. He sniffed it several times, then took a deep taste of the hot tea. It was better than anything he had previously tasted, better even than whiskey.

What did it taste like? Well, at first it was tarry, as if the person making the tea had infused by mistake some stray ends of well-tarred rope. But it was penetrating too, and a wee bit salty, and very rich and lingering. McKeag noticed that its taste dwelled in the mouth long after that of an ordinary tea. It was a man’s tea, deep and subtle and blended in some rugged place.

“What is it?” he asked. Haversham pointed to the brown canister, and McKeag said, “I can’t read.”

Haversham indicated the lettering and the scene of tea-pickers in India. “Lapsang souchong,” he said. “Best tea in the world.”

Impulsively McKeag asked, “You have some for sale?”

“Of course. We’re the agents.” It was a tea, Haversham explained, blended in India especially for men who had known the sea. It was cured in a unique way which the makers kept secret. “But smoke and tar must obviously play a part,” he said. It came normally from India to London, but the English traders in Oregon imported theirs from China.

“How long would a can like that last?” McKeag asked, cautiously again.

“It’ll keep forever … with the top on.”

“I mean, how many cups?”

“I use it sparingly. It would last me a year.”

“I’ll take two cans,” McKeag said, without asking the price. It was expensive, and as he tucked his small supply of coins back into his belt, Haversham explained, “The secret in making good lapsang souchong lies in heating the cup first. Heat it well. Then the flavor expands.” McKeag hid the canisters at the bottom of his gear, for he knew they were precious.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  22. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ordered some of this today!

23. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    I'm sitting at work thinking I can't wait to get home and brew a cup.

24. fx77

fx77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    All tea tastes like crap, but if you put a tablespoon of honey in, it tastes just great.

Guttersnipe, bacpacjac and beestokk like this.
  25. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I can't wait to try it! Thanks guys!

P2167989.JPG

DavidJAFO, BradGad, beestokk and 4 others like this.
  26. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I also bought some of these. :)

P2167987.JPG

DavidJAFO, Guttersnipe and 45jack like this.
  27. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    That's how my Scottish grandma used to make it. If you couldn't stand your spoon up in it it wasn't ready. I drank it that way for years. BLECK! hahaha!!

Thanks to Cousin @DavidJAFO's enabling, my six year old has become a tea lover. She has quite the collection but her current favourite is Twinings Peppermint and Creamy Vanilla. She takes hers sweet and milky so it's kind of like drinking a cupcake, but I have to admit, it's pretty good.

28. pipedreams

pipedreams Improvisational Engineer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have this coming on Tuesday. I’ve only had the Twinnings variety in the past. What do you think of it? Any tips to brewing?

29. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    I like it. But then I also like whiskey and water.
    It’s very bold and smokey , but doesn’t really have that pucker factor some teas do.
    Not sure what a real tea expert would call that, and not to be confused with the adrenaline induced pucker factor.
    My wife doesn’t care for the smell but she doesn’t like smoked food either.
    Sipping a cup now as I ignore the honey do list.

30. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Found this locally, got two ounces. Also found Gunpowder tea, will try next time I need something new.

IMG_20190216_145725.jpg

31. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Astringency?

DavidJAFO, Guttersnipe and bacpacjac like this.
  32. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Sip on in peace, brother. If a man says he’ll so something he’ll do it, and there’s no reason to remind him every six months.

33. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I think that’s it. This stuff is no camomile.:)
    astringent
    adjective
    as·trin·gent | \ ə-ˈstrin-jənt \
    Definition of astringent
    (Entry 1 of 2)

1: causing a tightening of soft organic tissues : STYPTIC

34. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    Prezactly.

35. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    WOW! That is smokey! Not sure it's going to win me over just yet but it is a possibility. i added cream and sugar, but it needed something else for me. The smell is very strong.

36. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Did you get the container too? The local tea & coffee store I went to had containers like that but they were huge (for the store stock) and not for sale. :(

37. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Just smokey? It’s supposed to be smokey and tarry and salty. Maybe you got a weak batch.

38. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Ennngh... Jac, don’t think cream and sugar will help.

39. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Tarry and salty are good descriptive words. It's hard to describe. It's intense, to be sure, but not unpleasant enough for me to give up on. It smells like your clothes do after you've been beside a campfire for the weekend. How bad could that be, right? Just need to catch the flavour up. I came back and re-read the entire thread. Ken said cream and sugar so I'm going with that. I'm making another cup now, with less tea this time. I think I might add kaluha instead of sugar this time. It tastes good in coffee but sounds wrong for tea. How bad could it be? ....

40. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Guttersnipe and bacpacjac like this.
  41. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    *headbonk* Kaluha!

Lapsang Kaluha Souchong... you should probably patent that.

42. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    It's pretty good. I think I might like it.....

DavidJAFO, NevadaBlue and Guttersnipe like this.
  43. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Negative. That's the stock container. My 2 oz went into a foil Ziploc like bag, pretty typical for loose teas.

44. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    @bacpacjac - try Morning Thunder. I've really been liking it. Robust and earthy and between a tea and a coffee feel.

bacpacjac, Guttersnipe and BradGad like this.
  45. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @bacpacjac , I am glad you found a way to enjoy the campfire in a cup. I don’t make mine strong. I typically use the tea infuser for 3 large cups before I put in fresh tea.

46. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    A textbook case of an acquired taste. :)

47. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    +1 on this for sure.

This is the only “tea” I drink with a sweetener... not because it’s too strong (ha!), but because it just tastes better... some suger or honey makes it open up and expand.

It’s a Celestial Seasonings blend, so it’s pretty easy to find at grocery stores. Not all but some.

48. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree. I generally drink most my tea regardless of flavor just straight. The Morning Thunder really comes alive with a single sugar cubes.

49. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I ordered and just recieved today a box of the Lapsang Souchong.
    I just finished my first cup. I like it alot, the bride however dident have much nice to say especially about how it smells. I have to admit it does have a different smell to it.

50. pipedreams

pipedreams Improvisational Engineer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    851C9A92-6BA3-449C-A544-816E0F9A8435.jpeg

It came. Sipping a cup now. It’s definitely different. I don’t immediately hate it. I brewed it per the directions on the tin (1tsp for 5min). It’s a smokey and earthy brew. Not at all bitter. We’ll see if it grows on me. The smell is powerful kitchen, dining room and living room all smell like campfire.

And yes, I preheated my cup like the trader told the Scottish mountainman.

DavidJAFO, BradGad, kronin323 and 2 others like this.