Teaberry

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by wvridgerunner, Feb 8, 2018.

1. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Teaberry

While on and outing in the woods I came across some Teaberry plants. Me and my Dad or me and my grandmother would always look for these when we hunted together when I was younger. I would carry the gun and they would point and teach me things. Below is info I found on line.

[​IMG] 2-7-18 woods walk 033.JPG

A low, woody ground cover, wintergreen is grown for its evergreen foliage, flowers, and berries. Two to six inch branches arise from creeping, underground stems and bear 1-2 in. long, oval, shiny, dark green leaves which turn reddish with the advent of cold weather. Small, bell-shaped, white to pink flowers hang on short stems from the leaf axils. The creeping stem of this low, evergreen shrub has upright branches with white, bell-shaped, nodding flowers, solitary or in groups of 2 or 3 in the leaf axils Aromatic red berries follow the flowers.

This leathery, semi-woody, aromatic perennial has creeping underground stems, thus forming small colonies of plants. Showy red fruits may persist through the winter. The genus was named for Dr. Gaultier, a Canadian physician of the mid-18th century. Teaberry extract is used to flavor teas, candies, medicines, and chewing gum.

Warnings: The pure distilled essential oil is toxic in large doses.

Edible Uses: Fruit – raw or cooked. Pleasant but insipid. The fruit is not at all insipid, it has a very strong spicy taste of germolene, just like being in a hospital waiting room. Best after a frost, the fruit hangs onto the plant until spring if it is not eaten by birds. The fruits can also be used in pies, or made into jams]. The fruit is up to 15mm in diameter. Young leaves – raw. A pleasant wayside nibble if used when very young. Dry and powdery according to our taste buds. A very agreeable tea is made from the fresh leaves. A stronger tea can be made by first fermenting the bright red leaves. ‘Oil of wintergreen’ can be distilled from this plant. It is used to flavour beer, sweets, chewing gum.

Medicinal Uses: Checkerberry leaves were widely used by the native North American Indians in the treatment of aches and pains and to help breathing whilst hunting or carrying heavy loads. An essential oil (known as ‘oil of wintergreen’) obtained from the leaves contains methyl salicylate, which is closely related to aspirin and is an effective anti-inflammatory. This species was at one time a major source of methyl salicylate, though this is now mainly synthesized. The leaves, and the oil, are analgesic, anti-inflammatory, aromatic, astringent, carminative, diuretic, emmenagogue, stimulant and tonic. An infusion of the leaves is used to relieve flatulence and colic. The plant, especially in the form of the essential oil, is most useful when applied externally in the treatment of acute cases of rheumatism, sciatica, myalgia, sprains, neuralgia and catarrh. The oil is sometimes used in the treatment of cellulitis, a bacterial infection that causes the skin to become inflamed. Some caution is advised, especially if the oil is used internally, since essential oil is toxic in excess, causing liver and kidney damage. It should not be prescribed for patients who are hypersensitive to salicylates (aspirin). The leaves can be gathered at any time from spring to early autumn, they are dried for use in infusions or distilled to produce the oil (

2. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a pretty cool little plant.
    Prov 27 : 17

central joe likes this.
  3. 3855singleshot

3855singleshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to do the same thing! My great uncles showed me teaberry, pawpaws and gin!

central joe likes this.
  4. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Found some in NH last summer .Well ALOT more than some .

FIELDCRAFTLTC and central joe like this.
  5. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Tracker

Blog Posts:

6. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I guess to must have done the tag on that reply wrong oh well I am new at this tech stuff let's try agian

7. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Tracker

Blog Posts:

8. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did you flavor your gin with tea berry. I am going back tomorrow to get some and soak it in gin. My uncles only feed me stroghes beer. Did I spell that right

3855singleshot likes this.
  9. 3855singleshot

Blog Posts:
    No, I meant ginseng!

10. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oh gin for ginseng I got that stuff point out to me also. I was just trying to throw in a funny twist the gin. Although I am going to try it. My uncles did share the stroghs with me. Also my grandmother was the main wild game provider for there family. A 16 ga and a 22lr rifle through the Great Depression in her youth. She new more about trees and plants than any one I have meet to date. I have attended a couple of field class with a botanist they did not hold a candle to grandma Gerty. Kinda like Granny on the Beverly Hill Billies

3855singleshot and Harper like this.
  11. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My wife gust red this postn an sed y spel lik a dum hill billy.

3855singleshot and T MAC like this.
  12. Bryan King

Bryan King Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My dad showed me teaberry while we were hunting when I was a kid also. Taste's great, he always said it must of been where they got the flavor of teaberry gum.some people have never tried the gum . I found some in a store not long ago,& bought it for my wife and kids to try.

13. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did they like it? Does it still come in the old style paper wrapper?

14. Bryan King

Bryan King Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah they liked I it ,said it was different but good. No it didn't have the paper,it was plastic like all the newer stuff. And was the small 5 or 7 stick pack . And it was made by wriggles. Definitely hard to find, most people don't know what it is.

wvridgerunner likes this.
  15. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like the gum as well. I'm going to take mamma and the boys on a hike to the teaberry patch and see what they think.

Bryan King likes this.
  16. 3855singleshot

Blog Posts:
    How is the weather down there in your neck of the woods wvridgerunner?