tear drop trailers?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by tarzan, Aug 22, 2019.

1. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Unless his minivan's engine is an interference design, in which he's gotta need to check top to bottom and hopefully its not got bent valves and bashed pistons.

Woodsman Wannabe and freebirdfb like this.
  2. Toytech

Toytech Scout

Blog Posts:
    True , hence the depending part but I have seen engine that are interference pop a belt at highway speeds and not smash the valves just depends if you get lucky or not , but for the $30 for a belt and a few hours time its worth it to cram a belt in it and see what happens instead of trying to do a leakdown test when the cam and the crank arn`t in sync .

3. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have no problem changing the belt. It is an interference engine and the belt broke at about 80mph so I don't have a lot of confidence that it will be that simple. Oh and it is a DOHC engine. At this point I have nothing to lose. I bought the parts before I realized it was interference so it is just a matter of giving it a go. Just have to wait for the weather to be compatible while I am at the homestead with the time. (Right now I have the time, but heat index is over 100F, so no I'm not going to be out busting my knuckles)

Enough of my hijack, we were talking teardrops here....

blind & lost, aaronu and CamoDeafie82 like this.
  4. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been looking at small campers but am leaning towards a pop up

blind & lost likes this.
  5. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I said this already but one thing about teardrops: you are involved in where ever you go. I've done some RVing and seen plenty of folks who treat an RV like a spaceship visiting a hostile planet. They pull in, do some minimal recon, then you only see them peeking out the windows once in a while. Or maybe venture out 5 feet from the RV to burn some hot dogs, then scurry back inside. Especially if the weather isn't perfect. You just can't do that with a teardrop; you have to go outside to change your mind, let alone cook or visit the facilities.

And one thing about pop-ups: except for A-liners they are not hard sided. If you are going to bear country, especially places that may have human-acclimated bears, you will want a hard sided rig. In fact there are places where it is required. Most parks with bears do allow pop-ups but provide (and require you to use) bear boxes. Just keep in mind your kitchen might still smell like bacon and spilt milk. Now I've lived and camped just about all my life in areas with bears and not ever worried about it or had an issue. But as I plan to visit places near grizzly populations in the future, our next RV will be a hard sided rig.

Here. I found a link on pop-up camping lifestyle. This lady says it better than me about camping around bears.

If you are setting up around people, especially if you need to go somewhere and leave your trailer unattended, keep in mind that a deployed pop-up isn't very secure. For most of them the canvas can be unsnapped, unzipped or cut, and since the pop-up sections are a good portion of each end and both sides it usually isn't difficult to find a spot for someone to bust in without being seen.

For example, we pulled a trailer from WA to MT a couple times, with stops along the way. One time we made reservations at a campground out east of Spokane. It was peak season and the only place that had open spots and we reserved it sight unseen. When we got there it was seriously sketch city. Most of the small trailers looked semipermanent. And trashy. We were the only "tourist" types in Sketchville. I am not snotty or by any means a helicopter parent but we never let our kids out of sight. If our trailer was a pop-up I would not have left it set up when we went to visit family. It was the one time I wanted to treat our trailer like a spaceship visiting a hostile planet.

OTOH a teardrop is hard sided. If you are in bear country, sleep with the hatch closed. If you have to leave the trailer for a short time in Sketchville, close it up and lock it up, including a hitch lock. Hitch locks aren't expensive.

Cheers,

Aaron

P.S. Really digging the little "canned ham" vintage trailers... them are really cool.

6. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    Love mine! It has a full bath, walk in closet and a,,,just kidding, but it does have a queen size bed and some shelves.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

stillscout, Guy, dreamin and 7 others like this.
  7. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Very cool, thanks for posting.

I really like Oregon Trail'R teardrops. They have an off-road model called the TerraDrop. Same basic layout as a regular teardrop but higher ground clearance and a flat roof designed to handle a storage rack.

Oregon Trailer Terradrop Alpha.jpg
    Oregon Trailer TerraDrop Alpha Left Side.jpg

https://www.oregontrailer.net/terradrop-alpha.html

They also have a n0-kitchen model that is smaller and more off-road capable and also more affordable, that they call the DoDrop.

Oregon Trailer DoDrop.jpg

For all-around use I would really like a more traditional teardrop, and IMHO these guys are about the best.

Oregon Trailer FronTear Gray Powdercoat.jpg

Something like that might even tempt me to get a hitch for my car.

645Ci under flowering tree.jpg

I very likely will be getting a new trailer next spring. The wifey wants a rolling palace or a class C motorhome so most likely we'll compromise... meaning chances of getting a nice teardrop ain't great. :(

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  8. tarzan

tarzan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    May the Rpod, bigger and more like a travel trailer, but a little bigger in a tear drop shape. Or look at TRuCamp, if I have the name correct.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    aaronu, blind & lost and NevadaBlue like this.
  9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The Terra Drop is on my list for the next life.

aaronu, blind & lost and operatord like this.
  10. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Scout

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    We just bought a pop up A-frame and found that to be the sweet spot for us. For those that want a little more room than a tear drop, but don't want to live in a space ship, they are a nice compromise.

aaronu, reppans and NevadaBlue like this.
  11. OmegaMan73

OmegaMan73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just picked up this Hiker 5x8' extreme offroad in May. It's got 34" tires to match my truck and a fully articulating hitch that allows that trailer to go anywhere my truck goes. It sure makes camping a bit easier when it comes to getting a good night's sleep. Quiet and warm are always 2 things I look forward to when climbing into bed. I've spent over 30 nights in this since March of this year. Mine does not have a kitchen in the rear galley area, just storage shelves. Personally I prefer this so I dont have food smells so close to where I sleep. Here's a couple pics from a 10 day trip through southern Utah. LRM_EXPORT_152891900547079_20190627_173440479.jpeg 20190610_203359.jpg 20190706_193759.jpg 20190705_105004.jpg

Tech, dreamin, Toytech and 9 others like this.
  12. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    How are these for long term camping say for hunting season which would be about a week

13. OmegaMan73

OmegaMan73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    A week stay is easy. Like others have mentioned above, these little trailers make you stay outside as opposed to going inside and hanging out. I've spent a windy snow/rain day cooped up in mine and I didnt care for it too much. I read a book, watched a movie download on the tablet I have my GPS running on, but it got boring quickly. There's things that I want to do to help mitigate the boredom but haven't had a chance to do them yet. But a week is easy in my opinion.

Guy, aaronu and Frank1960 like this.
  14. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    They can work well. The first teardrop I ever saw was the old (late 40's?) one my dad used for hunting trips when I was a kid.

Frank1960 likes this.