Tenkara fishing

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Pinelogcreek, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    After reading about Tenkara here I decided to give it a try. I bought a goture rod from amazon along with a floating line from wetfly and some 7x tippet. I tried it out tonight for the first time in our pond. I used a Accardo Round Dinny fly and caught one ten inch bass. What fun that was. I’m was trying this cheap setup to see if I want to take something a little nicer when I go West next year on vacation. I have a 5wt Fenwick rod already but I was intrigued by the simplicity of Tenkara. So far I’m sold on the concept. I don’t believe it to be any cheaper or some of the other arguments made in comparison to it’s superiority over regular fly fishing I read online but as a way to fish it’s fun. I am allergic to fish so catching them to me is only about fun and relaxing. I’m particularly fascinated with catching and photographing small fish and plan to explore that further. Anyone have a photo tank your using or tips for the photography? Also what length tippet are you using? Sorry no pictures it was after dark when I caught the fish.

2. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mostly I use 3 or 3.5 level line somewhere between 7 ft and 25 ft long, 36" of 5x tippet and whatever fly I feel like using.

The reason people say it's cheaper is say you buy a T rod for $150, LL for $20 and a spool of $5 tippet then you're ready to fish for $175. Compare that to a western rod $150, reel for $75, backing for I don't know how much, floating line for $40, leader for $10 and tippet for $5 then you're into it for at least $280, then if you want to nymph you buy nymphing line, streamer line, etc... With LL I can dry, nymph and streamer and do it without changing lines.

Tenkara is simple, not so much easy but definitely FUN!

3. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Does the level line float or sink?

4. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    It sinks

5. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Anyone here in the south using a sinking line, I’m concerned about hanging up on all the underwater branches and junk. In regular fly fishing I’ve only used floating lines.

6. hdlv

hdlv Treen Machine Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Careful, you are entering some addictive waters....
    A general guideline for tenkara is to match the length of your line to the length of your rod then add about 4 feet of tippet. Depending on your waters you can add about 3-4 feet of extra line (over your rod length) before the tippet and still fish pretty comfortably. Some folks will go as far as doubling their rod length in line but I have zero experience in that.

If you don't mind dropping a little more $$ I highly recommend this hybrid line from tenkara rod co. It cast beautifully.
    https://www.tenkararodco.com/collections/lines/products/crossbreed-tenkara-line

Pinelogcreek likes this.
  7. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Timely thread. I've been looking at these rods since yesterday promted by my best friend texting me about wanting to go fishing. I really like the idea of something super light, compact, and simple to toss into my pack on backpacking or day hiking trips.

I camp out next to stuff like this

[​IMG]Harpers Creek at Camp by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]St. Mary's Wilderness Overnighter by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]Camp one Camp Axe by MJGEGB, on Flickr

And have never fished it due to a lack of fishing equipment along for the ride. Apparently the one you have is actually used for Carp fishing in China.

Anyway I'll probably pick one up soon after I order my quilt I've been saving for.

Blackhawk45hunter likes this.
  8. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    I understand this rod is not a high quality Tenkara rod but I was looking for proof the concept would be fun for me. With about 35 dollars invested I now know it is. The real question now is would I want to spend more and that answer will only come with more time on the water. It surely does not cast like my 150 dollar fly rod but it is also very good for the money. When I say that I mean that the flex is more in he upper half of the rod. I am tempted to try the crossbreed line mentioned above.

hdlv likes this.
  9. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well I went ahead and ordered a dirt cheap Tenkara style rod from eBay. After watching a few videos of folks having run with even the cheapest setups I figured what the heck and spent the whopping $2.46 on a rod and will probably start off with some polypropylene twine and 6 lbs tipit that I have laying around. Should be fun, I haven't fished in way too long.

10. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    That's cool, I hope you like it and that it proves useful for what you want to do.

Do you have a link to the rod you bought?

11. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    We will see. I'm not new to fishing in the least. I've got 3 spinning rigs, two bait casters, and even a fly rod setup all of which I setup for fresh water. Used to fish every weekend. If I like the concept I might end up getting something nicer but for now this is the one I picked up, click here. If nothing else it should be fun to mess with. I'm picturing it being just like the fly setup minus the counterbalance from the reel and shooting the line which I was never terribly good at. I'm hoping it can be a Ultralight fishing setup for backpacking and hiking. Would be fun to catch and cook fish on some trips again. Haven't done that since I was a kid.

12. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the link, I'm always wanting to try out different rods, I won't recommend something I've never used.

What length did you get? The 270 is a great size for waters like you pictured. I think ill pick up a 270 and 360 to try out.

That's crazy that those are shipped prices, I've never understood how they do that and make any money.

13. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I went with the 270 for that exact reason. I'm the same way which is why I didn't post a link initially. I'm hopeful base on reviews of similar poles, but not expecting much for $2.46 :D They get away with it because we have an agreement with other countries to complete the shipping process on mail taken in from other countries with no additional charge assuming other countries do the same with incoming mail from the US. At least that is my understanding.