Tenkara rod length

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Phisikos, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been going back and forth looking at this and I cannot seem to reach a conclusion... What it is basically coming down to is this:

I can get a 12' rod or for $31 more I can get one that's adjustable to be either 11'6" it 13'. All other things are essentially the same for comparison.

This is my first Tenkara rod and aside from a small one I can forsee my kids getting into I don't intend to buy another specialized rod. I'll use this backpacking and I want to be able to use it both for streams as well as ponds/lakes for bluegills. Am I overthinking the importance of having 2 length options? Is 1' of extra reach perhaps a bigger deal than I realize?

Any guidance from the experienced Tenkara fishers is greatly appreciated, I'm really looking forward to jumping into this

2. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I have a 12’6” rod. If it were me I would get the adjustable rod. Many times in tight streams I would have liked a shorter rod. All the same, on big water you want all the length you can get.

CivilizationDropout and Phisikos like this.
  3. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not super experienced ... for small streams I use a zoom rod that goes up to 10’6” (Tenkara USA Rhodo). For lakes and rivers I use a zoom rod that goes to 14’ (Daiwa 43M).

I would get the 11’6”/13’ rod. The extra flexibility will be worth an extra $31.

CivilizationDropout and Phisikos like this.
  4. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have never tried a zoom rod I have 4 rods from 8 ft to 13'6" they are like tattoos you start out only gonna get 1 next thing you know you have 5 and planning 3 more. :D

5. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you guys for chiming in, it sounds like the versatility will be worth it

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  6. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Rather than create another thread... What is the difference between furled and level line?? Went to store today to look at fly gear since they have nothing Tenkara specific, they sold "line backing" iirc... Is that just normal line?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  7. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    FIXED!

8. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Level line is a single strand, non tapered line that can be cut to the desired length. It is lightweight and flexible, but will take a "set" when stored on a keeper or spool.

Furled line is multiple strands, either tapered or non and cannot be cut to a shorter length. It is slightly heavier depending on its materials and is much more flexible than the level line. It will not take a set.

Phisikos likes this.
  9. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I’ll go against the grain here...

Last year I got to take part in ThomDarrah’s tenkaraUSA passaround and got to play with a TenkaraUSA Sato for a whole month. I used it on lakes, ponds, and the local river. While the adjustable option was really cool, I found that I was happiest with the middle setting which was just a shade under 12’ if I recall correctly. The action changes with the length and so it’s like using a different rod at each length setting.

Fast forward to now and I have a 12’ fixed length rod and don’t feel over or under gunned.

Is there anything at all wrong with a variable length zoom rod? Heck no, they’re super cool and I’m sure there are much more experienced guys who can milk out a lot more mileage from one than I can, but I personally prefer a fixed 12’ rod.

Go with what sounds best to you and you’ll be happy either way.

10. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the Iwana and Amago from Tenkara USA 12 ft and 13'6' I have the Fountainhead stonefly in 11ft gave my Son-in-law my 12 ft fountainhead rd when my wife got me the Iwana for Christmas. I have a wetfly komodo creek 8ft rod if you only have one rod 12 ft is the best option for most. I fish Tenkara because it is simple a zoom rod would make it less simple to me.
    One of the local parks has an 8 mile bike trail that runs along a creek most of the way. I like to bongo tie a tenkara rod to the top tube of my Surly steamroller small flybox and extra leader in my pocket and stop and fish holes most of the time you get sunnies and chubs with a smallie or sucker caught once in a while

One of my favorite Tenkara catches 10.5 in bull bluegill had been used as bait and survived crooked tail bite marks where something had tried to eat him recently He hit a #14 wooly bugger like it had insulted his mother fought like a fish 3 times his size took this picture and released him to fight another day he was caught in my gun club pond
    [​IMG]

11. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am not experienced, but I am grateful for the advice I got from Chris at Tenkarabum.com. The Travller 11’.

12. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been giving consideration to this exact issue. I'm ok with 2 different actions as I wouldnt be switching back and forth often, but I have seen a couple reviews that mention adjustable rods are less sensitive. It's narrowed down to the Hydra or Shadowfire from Dragontail

13. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have the Badger Tenkara Bad Axe, it's a two station rod with 9'10" and 11'5".

It's plenty sensitive for me, I would border on extremely sensitive. With the mix of places that I fish ( heavy cover and then wide open tracts ) are well-suited to the two station rod.

Blackhawk45hunter and Phisikos like this.
  14. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    One review I read had a lot of comparing to other rods, in my case I've just decided to dive Right into this so really the only thing I'll have to compare to is my junky $20 light rod that broke (thus triggering all this) and a 6' med rod.... So I'm sure it will feel plenty sensitive!

I figure at best I'll finally get to try fly fishing and end up loving this, at worst I have a fishing setup that's so light how could I not bring this backpacking!?

Company bonus comes soon, that magical time of year when we can all get something without feeling guilty

15. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is a hell of a catch! One thing g I'll say in general is that I also prefer simple, something that drew me to this particular rod is the way it adjusts. Basically you have a section that'll lock into place just like all the others when extended, or lock by simply pressing it back. When I saw that I got very interested, versatility without any real difference in how it works. Granted I've never even held a Tenkara rod so I may be way off base!

From one review: The locking mechanism between the short and longer length positions is marked with some bumps in the black matte finish and holds fast when set. I’m not sure I can explain exactly how it works but it’s easy enough to figure out by feel.

16. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I catch more big gills on tenkara than any other method of fishing. My biggest sunfish type fish on tenkara rod is a 11.5 in red ear sunfish from the same pond . A size 12-16 woolly bugger in olive or black is my favorite fly for sunfish