Tent Cot.......

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by Djilc, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Djilc

Djilc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Im leaving in a few days for a 3 week training mission in Wisconsin. A good buddy of mine loaned me his tent cot to take with me. Ive never used one in my military career. Seems like a great piece of gear. Anyone else ever use one and what are your thoughts?

gohammergo and Muleman77 like this.
  2. Stone

Stone Supporter, Twirler of Embers

Blog Posts:
    I camp several days a year on the ground in fire camps throughout the west. I have a two-person tent. I have tried a cot a few times, but they seem more trouble then they are worth and I don't bother with one anymore. Carrying it is not an issue for me, as I could check one out of the supply cache at fire camp. I just would rather sleep on my Big Agnes air core air mattress on the ground. But a lot of folks prefer sleeping on cots. And there are some low-to-the-ground ones to choose from if you so desire.

gohammergo, Winterhorse and Muleman77 like this.
  3. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I use them when I can, I have a couple different ones. It takes a bigger tent than any two man Ive seen. I use a thermarest on it. They can be cold, if you don't insulate.

I could sleep either way, but I like sitting on it to put my socks and boots on in the morning :)

Terasec, fire65 and Lichen like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Spent years sleeping in a 5 man hex tent (in Alaska) and using a GI Issue cot. Loved as it beat sleeping on the frozen ground.

Drop a blanket across it and let it drape down to stop air movement under the cot to stay warmer. If you going to be in a warm spot, then your grond pad on top should be good to go.

[​IMG]
    Lots of add-on out there to make your rack a bit more functional

[​IMG]
    roll your own

5. Mackay Sagebrush

Mackay Sagebrush Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love mine.

It is great when you are just making a minimal camp, out of the back of a pickup. I use mine a lot when solo hunting. It sets up in about a minute flat. I put an extra sleeping pad on the bottom for padding and insulation, and always try to remember to keep some airflow to prevent condensation inside during times when the temps are blow freezing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Scout

Blog Posts:
    One caution I will throw into this ....

The ones with legs like pictured above CAN punch a hole in your tent floor.
    The "bow" style is better on your tent floor.

I have one with straight legs, and I made a "crossbar" to protect floor by drilling shallow holes into a 2" x 4" for the legs to sit into.
    I will have to take a picture next time we are in "Heavy Camp".

7. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like a cot when it's possible to have one: easier on my old bones, easier to get in and out of, and a cot makes a tent floor larger because I can store gear under it.

BUT, they are heavy, and as mentioned above, the "feet" of a cot can damage a tent floor. Herself and I each use cots when car camping in her large glamping tent.

hunter63 and gohammergo like this.
  8. demonslaer

demonslaer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one that fits on top of a cot and can be used on the ground also. I gave one as a secret Santa gift last year.

Haggis likes this.
  9. Djilc

Djilc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I will be in an actual tent, with no flooring at all. Basically for the last 19 years I've lived like a caveman when we go to the field, sleeping on the ground, freezing half to death ect.......this may very well be my last go round in a military environment, so I said screw it im gonna be comfortable for this one. I've got my inflatable mat and my sleep system as well as a pillow (such luxury!!) I'll be in a tent with 20 other stinking guys so it'll be nice for some privacy.

Winterhorse and Haggis like this.
  10. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I found these "cot booties" quite useable, lightweight and comparatively small pack. I actually picked mine up in a local store, but here is a link ... https://slumberjack.com/floor-saver-cot-booties/ and so far when glamping with herself we have not punctured the tent floor (even with my weight on the cot!!). Hope this helps.

OJ

11. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool,,, thanks a heap!

oddjob35 likes this.
  12. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    As far as the floor goes, I have often just cut some thin cookies off a 4 or 5 inch down tree.
    Cot Coasters basically.

Winterhorse likes this.
  13. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I used a tent cot without a tent but with tarps for a wind break. This was at San Saba, TX at 19 degrees and sleet. I had several pads for insulation and a MSS bag but still was cold. The tent should keep the wind from going under it and will make a big difference. Good luck.

Winterhorse likes this.
  14. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used one at the sugarhouse when making maple syrup. Often there were late night boils so I just slept there. A foam pad or mattress made it a lot more comfortable on cold nights as the sleeping bag insulation gets compressed on the bottom.

15. duckear

duckear Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought one of the backpacking cots a few years ago.
    With a Thermarest pad, it is as nice as your bet at home.

In my Kifaru Sawtooth and running a stove, it's not camping, its glamping.

https://www.thermarest.com/cots/ultralite-cot

Roughneck75 likes this.
  16. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kind of off topic now, but hopefully the OP doesn't mind a slight derail:

How about just cutting an x into 4 tennis balls and slipping them over the feet?

That said, I've been using military style cots in tents for over a decade and have not had a hole yet. In fact, my daughter just slept on one this weekend. Of course, she's much lighter than me, but I was sleeping on them as heavy as 275lbs (down to 198 this weekend!). I do always clear the ground well, and always use a blue tarp folded in half under the tent. And the rubber end caps on the legs are in good condition. And yeah, these kind of cots don't usually fit in tents for 4 people or smaller. We use them in 8 or 12 ma n tents for longer trips and it makes it SOOO much nicer. A place to sit and change, easy to get in and out, plenty of storage underneath to keep the tent tidy..

The wife and I are now in hammocks, or in the Roof Top Tent on our big trips, so we don't really use them much anymore for ourselves.

20170506_074216.jpg

Broke likes this.
  17. MontanaMarine

MontanaMarine Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cots are nice when you can use them. The older I get the more my bones like them. I usually use the green isopore mat under the bag.

Wife and I use the military style cots in our bigger tents.

Living large in the 12-man Seek Outside tipi,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12x14 wall tent,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shane

18. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have slept on army style folding cots of off and on since I was a teenager.
    Sleep good on them.
    They are my go to even on primitive camp....wool blanket and bear hide gets me by...... can't get up off the ground as well as I used to.
    [​IMG]

My hunt kit that travels with me to various other camps included a canvas folding cot (warmer then nylon) foam pad, reflective space blanket and floor rug.

Found a double wide folding cot years ago...Only one I have ever seen.

Had to have it recovered....and is kind of noisy, everything moves when you do....LOL

19. chasntuna

chasntuna Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just got me a Cabellas XL guide cot, using it next weekend for a 3 dayer. Can't believe I caved, but I did.

20. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tagged for interest. I'm thinking about scooping up a tent cot as well. Good info so far fellas.

gohammergo likes this.
  21. Danno

Danno Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like using a cot too, but find that some are too low and make egress even more difficult than sleeping on the ground. Will try a military style next. I made some plywood disc coasters as mentioned above to use with the military style cot. I use a four man Eureka A-frame tent so have plenty of room. (how four actual real people.... not actors...would fit in this tent is beyond me!)
    Haven't done a search but is there a dedicated "cot" thread anywhere?

22. gohammergo

gohammergo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the concept of the tent cot, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. However, I do have tents, and I do have cots! :)

My old Blanchard Draw-tite. Old and solid as a rock. It's been raining like mad and hasn't leaked a drop.

DSC00082.JPG

DSC00086.JPG

I have this set up in the yard by my apple trees right now. Putting it up for sale and needed to get some fresh pics. Have my gear set up and have spent a few nights in it. :) I have a large blue cot I picked up from Walmart that I highly recommend, and my Cabelas Adam and Eave sleeping bag.

DSC00089.JPG

23. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    Morning,

If one is in the market for a great cot, look at the "Roll-A-Cots". Made here in the USA, by CamptimeInc. Available through Camptime.com or Campmor.com. I have no affiliation with either company. I am just an extremely satisfied customer.

Camptime has other great outdoor products to include camp tables, stools and chairs. I think the business first started making products geared towards the rafting/river/guiding industry, thus their gear sheds water, dries quickly and is incredibly structurally strong, for the weight.

I have been using these cots for over 20 years. A lot of the local guiding companies, use these cots and tables, on their overnight trips, which to me speaks volumes.

Top notch product. Top notch customer service. Comes with carry pouch, that attaches to the assembled cot, creating a handy storage area. That pouch is very similar to the one in DKR's post.

To save my tent floor, I go to the local hardware or box store. Once there, you can find these round, flexible, thin ( 1/16 inch in depth), grippy, rubber coasters, each about 3 inches in diameter. Their primary use is to be placed under furniture legs, to save hardwood floors, from scratches. 6 of the "coasters" for lack of a better word, cost about 4.00. Lightweight, durable and non slip. I place them in a pouch, tied to my cot carry handle.

Hope this helps someone.

Be safe.

24. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    cots are great for certain scenarios
    if carrying the cot is not an issue , and tent has space for it, then its well worth it,
    and depending on your age, getting up off the ground is not as much fun as it used to be

backlasher and gohammergo like this.
  25. AZ Wandering Bear

AZ Wandering Bear Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The wife and I first used these on a 2-week raft trip on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. The outfitter for the trip provided them. I slept out all but one night on that trip, the wife preferring to sleep in the tent. Really comfortable with a self inflating pad under you.

We bought our own to use in our tent as soon as we got back from that trip. They pack down nicely for car camping or for a base camp and are a heck of a lot more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. The carrying sack for them doubles as a gear holder at night. Good piece of kit.

gohammergo likes this.
  26. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was moments away from making this thread till I saw it here. I actually used to have a couple small army cots I used as a bed for a year and a half. Can be pretty comfy. I like how I sink into them. That being said, I might end up getting a ultralight cot. I saw these on ebay. I figure I should be the one to test it, see if it works at all. That way none of you have to. It's similar to ones I've seen for $200+ which is why I'm tempted to try it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Sup...265955?hash=item1a28e54da3:g:-PUAAOSwTM5Y365i

27. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    Update, Found a video of someone working with the ebay one.