Terävä Mini Puukko

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Medic17, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Medic17

Medic17 BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Guess what is back in stock at Varusteleka.com!

The Terava Mini Puukko-
    https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-mini-puukko-bare-tang-w-o-sheath/53542

Based on the quality of my Terävä Jääkäripuukko this should be an amazing piece of steel for a very economic price.

My speculation, a great DIY piece.

Once mine comes in Ill post a review.
    If you are thinking about getting one do not wait. They do not last long.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for enabling my addiction the steer! Ordered.

3. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Enabler!

Based on all youse guys comments, I got a Skrama recently. I haven't used it, but it presents well and gives off that weird Finnish "no-BS" vibe. Being reasonably priced helps too. This little knife looks pretty neat.

Bobsdock, central joe and Medic17 like this.
  4. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Jim Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

You're just a big troublemaker.

But thank you.

central joe, Richinva and Medic17 like this.
  5. Jaeger

Jaeger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry my Mini Skrama all the time. I carried it all day today as a matter of fact. I just did a double cord wrap for a handle and it works great. It's got excellent edge geometry and edge holding and is worth every penny.

6. cek

cek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got the email earlier and ordered one for me and for my daughter for Christmas. Based on their other knives I'm sure I will like it.

Jaeger^ curious what you did for a sheath if you wouldn't mind showing.

americanstrat98 and Medic17 like this.
  7. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes!! I’ve been wanting one of these. Want to do a jute wrap on the handle and a kydex wrap on the blade.

Jaeger and Medic17 like this.
  8. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    I got it in the mail today.
    My first impressions are very high.

americanstrat98, Cp89 and cek like this.
  9. Cp89

Cp89 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow that got to you in no time. Heres what I did with mine couple months ago:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    It's not perfect but considering I drilled and taped the copper for the loveless bolts and sanded them as round as I could I did ok.

10. leightyj2

leightyj2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Such an enabler! I have to pull the trigger on this now :dblthumb: Just ordered the mini puukko and mini skrama

americanstrat98 and Medic17 like this.
  11. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    I think I will try a Mini Skrama and Skrama next.
    Looks very interesting, for the quality that I have seen, the price is right.

americanstrat98, cek and jasam like this.
  12. Jaeger

Blog Posts:
    I bought a used sheath for a Bark River JX6 from eBay. It's got the rare earth magnet in it for retention. It works like a champ. I'll try to remember to get a picture for you.

cek likes this.
  13. Jaeger

Blog Posts:
    I have a simple kydex sheath coming from Gary at C2GFab. He has the knife and can likely make you whatever you want.

jasam likes this.
  14. fschwep

fschwep Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Refreshing this thread a bit... They now sell sheaths for them as well. I got a mini puukko and a sheath, it's a simple affair, black leather, good welt, no dangler or anything, essentially just a leather blade protector so the combo remains very flat. For now I'm keeping the tang bare. Polished off the forge residue and just slightly sweetened the edges of the tang. It's OK to hold for small cutting jobs. Cuts sturdy French bread and hard cheese like a lightsaber. ;-)

cek and Madwell like this.
  15. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I may start a handle on mine as soon as I get done with this Enzo I'm working on. Forgot all about it.

Madwell likes this.
  16. Madwell

Madwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This thread needs more pictures!

cek likes this.
  17. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    picked this little beauty up lately(thanks @leightyj2 ) and decided to do a lightweight handle job. just leather, hemp and epoxy.
    20180807_124044.jpg
    I use West systems G50 epoxy and I mix it 1 to 1 to 1 with resin, hardener and denatured alcohol(to thin it) so it flows easily into the cord wrap.
    20180807_131623.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    JasonJ, steene, jasam and 3 others like this.
  18. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All done. The epoxy should be fully set by tomorrow. I didn't do the full length of the handle because I like the Kydex being able to grip that front hole in the handle. Plus I was trying to keep the handle smaller to weigh less.
    20180807_152207.jpg

20180807_152221.jpg

20180807_152235.jpg

20180807_152238.jpg

quietmike, JasonJ, steene and 6 others like this.
  19. fschwep

fschwep Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Photos of mine, bare with the Terava sheath.

[​IMG]Minipuukko0031200w by Frank Schweppe, on Flickr

[​IMG]Minipuukko005_sheathed_1200w by Frank Schweppe, on Flickr

Note that I got rid of the forge residue so my minipuukko is just blank steel. The black residue is somewhat oily and sticks to food and your hands if you grip the bare tang with some force, at least it did in my case; that also happened with the 'normal' Terava puukkos 110 and 140 that I have, so I wiped off the residue there too - ten minutes with some fine-grit steel wool will do the trick, you have the choice to leave a slight non-sticky patina in place or polish everything off.
    After a few months I am beginning to like using this thing as is, for short cutting jobs. It is an excellent bread knife, makes short work of even rock hard sausages, cheese and so forth. Without a handle there are no nooks and crannies to trap food remnants, you just wipe or rinse it, dry it and you're done. It's also a nice flat package in its dedicated sheath, to slip in a pocket or small bag. You can also use it to baton, featherstick etc., and during batoning there is again no handle to damage, you can hit this thing anywhere. A very sturdy chunk of steel, with a very high, keen flat grind, secondary microbevel as puukkos apparently are supposed to have, easy to keep paperslicing sharp. It could be a backup fixed blade to an EDC folder during a day hike, for instance.

JasonJ, steene, Rockgod1619 and 3 others like this.
  20. fschwep

fschwep Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some news from the Varusteleka site... Later this year they will offer this mini puukko also with a handle, in the style of the Jaakkaripuukkos, thus a hard black rubber overmold. Same for the mini skrama. Assuming you can get or make a decent sheath with one of those you would have a very sturdy shorter version of the popular Terava puukko or skrama. For anyone who would like a handle and doesn't want to make it themselves this may be worth waiting for.
    Just yesterday I used this thing to section a tough branch, a bit over 2 inches thick, and split it into kindling. Of course you can't really chop with it as it is too short and has no handle. But it bit incredibly deep when I just set it against the wood at an angle and beat it in crossgrain with a baton. First I notched all around like this and then broke off the piece, the second cut I started notching and then decided 'why not' and just beat the blade straight through the two inches of semi-seasoned wood. It went clean through. I also beat off a number of stumps where I had earlier delimbed the thick branch, using the same technique - again no axe-like chops but hold the edge against the offending finger-thick stump, slam, right through in a single blow. Then split the thick stick down to kindling and made some curls. I had not especially sharpened it just before, had used it for a while to cut bread and sausage and such, but after the cross-grain exercise it still sliced printer paper, and after a few passes over a strop it shaved paper.
    These small blades have very high saber grinds (or high flats with seconday bevels), with the secondary bevel at 23 degrees inclusive (basically the same as the scandi grind on a standard Mora Companion) and the main grind a lot keener. Thus they bite very deep and slice real well - you see the same thing in a Skrama as soon as you thin the secondary bevel from the too-blunt 34-something to about 22-23 degrees, and in a Peltonen Sissipuukko with its very high flat grind. The 80CrV2 steel is tough enough to take a relatively keen grind with a tiny secondary bevel, itself fairly keen, possibly convexed, and be used hard while maintaining a good working edge and resisting damage. The stuff also is easy to sharpen.
    The idea of a bare-tang, flat but sturdy blade like this appeals to me more and more. The bare tang is decent enough to hold during small knife tasks, and without handle scales it is a lot easier to hit the knife with a baton to cut through thicker, more resistant stuff you might not want to use a similarly short (85 mm long) knife for with a normal handle. Note that this is not a super lightweight, airy skeleton knife - the bare tang has holes in it but is still pretty massive, so you can beat the crap out of it without worries.