Terävä Mini Puukko

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Medic17, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Guess what is back in stock at Varusteleka.com!

The Terava Mini Puukko-
    https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-mini-puukko-bare-tang-w-o-sheath/53542

Based on the quality of my Terävä Jääkäripuukko this should be an amazing piece of steel for a very economic price.

My speculation, a great DIY piece.

Once mine comes in Ill post a review.
    If you are thinking about getting one do not wait. They do not last long.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for enabling my addiction the steer! Ordered.

3. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Enabler!

Based on all youse guys comments, I got a Skrama recently. I haven't used it, but it presents well and gives off that weird Finnish "no-BS" vibe. Being reasonably priced helps too. This little knife looks pretty neat.

4. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Jim Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

You're just a big troublemaker.

But thank you.

central joe, Richinva and Medic17 like this.
  5. Jaeger

Jaeger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry my Mini Skrama all the time. I carried it all day today as a matter of fact. I just did a double cord wrap for a handle and it works great. It's got excellent edge geometry and edge holding and is worth every penny.

6. cek

cek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got the email earlier and ordered one for me and for my daughter for Christmas. Based on their other knives I'm sure I will like it.

Jaeger^ curious what you did for a sheath if you wouldn't mind showing.

americanstrat98 and Medic17 like this.
  7. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes!! I’ve been wanting one of these. Want to do a jute wrap on the handle and a kydex wrap on the blade.

Jaeger and Medic17 like this.
  8. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    I got it in the mail today.
    My first impressions are very high.

americanstrat98, Cp89 and cek like this.
  9. Cp89

Cp89 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow that got to you in no time. Heres what I did with mine couple months ago:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    It's not perfect but considering I drilled and taped the copper for the loveless bolts and sanded them as round as I could I did ok.

10. leightyj2

leightyj2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Such an enabler! I have to pull the trigger on this now :dblthumb: Just ordered the mini puukko and mini skrama

americanstrat98 and Medic17 like this.
  11. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    I think I will try a Mini Skrama and Skrama next.
    Looks very interesting, for the quality that I have seen, the price is right.

americanstrat98, cek and jasam like this.
  12. Jaeger

Blog Posts:
    I bought a used sheath for a Bark River JX6 from eBay. It's got the rare earth magnet in it for retention. It works like a champ. I'll try to remember to get a picture for you.

cek likes this.
  13. Jaeger

Blog Posts:
    I have a simple kydex sheath coming from Gary at C2GFab. He has the knife and can likely make you whatever you want.

jasam likes this.
  14. fschwep

fschwep Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Refreshing this thread a bit... They now sell sheaths for them as well. I got a mini puukko and a sheath, it's a simple affair, black leather, good welt, no dangler or anything, essentially just a leather blade protector so the combo remains very flat. For now I'm keeping the tang bare. Polished off the forge residue and just slightly sweetened the edges of the tang. It's OK to hold for small cutting jobs. Cuts sturdy French bread and hard cheese like a lightsaber. ;-)

cek and Madwell like this.
  15. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I may start a handle on mine as soon as I get done with this Enzo I'm working on. Forgot all about it.

Madwell likes this.
  16. Madwell

Madwell Guide

Blog Posts:
    This thread needs more pictures!

cek likes this.
  17. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    picked this little beauty up lately(thanks @leightyj2 ) and decided to do a lightweight handle job. just leather, hemp and epoxy.
    20180807_124044.jpg
    I use West systems G50 epoxy and I mix it 1 to 1 to 1 with resin, hardener and denatured alcohol(to thin it) so it flows easily into the cord wrap.
    20180807_131623.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Madwell, JasonJ, steene and 4 others like this.
  18. tobiism

Blog Posts:
    All done. The epoxy should be fully set by tomorrow. I didn't do the full length of the handle because I like the Kydex being able to grip that front hole in the handle. Plus I was trying to keep the handle smaller to weigh less.
    20180807_152207.jpg

20180807_152221.jpg

20180807_152235.jpg

20180807_152238.jpg

19. fschwep

fschwep Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Photos of mine, bare with the Terava sheath.

[​IMG]Minipuukko0031200w by Frank Schweppe, on Flickr

[​IMG]Minipuukko005_sheathed_1200w by Frank Schweppe, on Flickr

Note that I got rid of the forge residue so my minipuukko is just blank steel. The black residue is somewhat oily and sticks to food and your hands if you grip the bare tang with some force, at least it did in my case; that also happened with the 'normal' Terava puukkos 110 and 140 that I have, so I wiped off the residue there too - ten minutes with some fine-grit steel wool will do the trick, you have the choice to leave a slight non-sticky patina in place or polish everything off.
    After a few months I am beginning to like using this thing as is, for short cutting jobs. It is an excellent bread knife, makes short work of even rock hard sausages, cheese and so forth. Without a handle there are no nooks and crannies to trap food remnants, you just wipe or rinse it, dry it and you're done. It's also a nice flat package in its dedicated sheath, to slip in a pocket or small bag. You can also use it to baton, featherstick etc., and during batoning there is again no handle to damage, you can hit this thing anywhere. A very sturdy chunk of steel, with a very high, keen flat grind, secondary microbevel as puukkos apparently are supposed to have, easy to keep paperslicing sharp. It could be a backup fixed blade to an EDC folder during a day hike, for instance.

JasonJ, steene, Rockgod1619 and 3 others like this.
  20. fschwep

fschwep Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some news from the Varusteleka site... Later this year they will offer this mini puukko also with a handle, in the style of the Jaakkaripuukkos, thus a hard black rubber overmold. Same for the mini skrama. Assuming you can get or make a decent sheath with one of those you would have a very sturdy shorter version of the popular Terava puukko or skrama. For anyone who would like a handle and doesn't want to make it themselves this may be worth waiting for.
    Just yesterday I used this thing to section a tough branch, a bit over 2 inches thick, and split it into kindling. Of course you can't really chop with it as it is too short and has no handle. But it bit incredibly deep when I just set it against the wood at an angle and beat it in crossgrain with a baton. First I notched all around like this and then broke off the piece, the second cut I started notching and then decided 'why not' and just beat the blade straight through the two inches of semi-seasoned wood. It went clean through. I also beat off a number of stumps where I had earlier delimbed the thick branch, using the same technique - again no axe-like chops but hold the edge against the offending finger-thick stump, slam, right through in a single blow. Then split the thick stick down to kindling and made some curls. I had not especially sharpened it just before, had used it for a while to cut bread and sausage and such, but after the cross-grain exercise it still sliced printer paper, and after a few passes over a strop it shaved paper.
    These small blades have very high saber grinds (or high flats with seconday bevels), with the secondary bevel at 23 degrees inclusive (basically the same as the scandi grind on a standard Mora Companion) and the main grind a lot keener. Thus they bite very deep and slice real well - you see the same thing in a Skrama as soon as you thin the secondary bevel from the too-blunt 34-something to about 22-23 degrees, and in a Peltonen Sissipuukko with its very high flat grind. The 80CrV2 steel is tough enough to take a relatively keen grind with a tiny secondary bevel, itself fairly keen, possibly convexed, and be used hard while maintaining a good working edge and resisting damage. The stuff also is easy to sharpen.
    The idea of a bare-tang, flat but sturdy blade like this appeals to me more and more. The bare tang is decent enough to hold during small knife tasks, and without handle scales it is a lot easier to hit the knife with a baton to cut through thicker, more resistant stuff you might not want to use a similarly short (85 mm long) knife for with a normal handle. Note that this is not a super lightweight, airy skeleton knife - the bare tang has holes in it but is still pretty massive, so you can beat the crap out of it without worries.

21. cek

cek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Put some scales on these, I'm still learning almost didnt want to show them, I really like these blades. Mini skarma is a piece of an old hickory ax handle, mini puukko is cedar scraps from a closet I lined. 20181001_173739.jpg 20180930_173452.jpg

22. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They look great! And if they fit your hands, even better! It looks like your pin/tubes are a bit proud of the handle scales, not sure if it's just the angle in the pics or not, if so, you could grind those more flush, but if it doesn't bother your hand to hold or it was how you meant it, then that's fine too!

Thanks for sharing. I really like that mini-Skrama you did.

cek likes this.
  23. cek

cek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! Yes I left the tubes a little to long on both, I had done another knife and felt like I did that one to short so I over did it on these, I'll find the median at some point. They both fit my hands fine and the mini skarma is my favorite one to.

JasonJ likes this.
  24. MrDublin

MrDublin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is the one I did a few years ago. The sheath I had made by a Scott sheaths on eBay. I sold it about a year ago. I need to make another.

PSX_20171129_221354.jpg

Rockgod1619, cek, Pilot and 2 others like this.
  25. OldFatMan

OldFatMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great.... another project.... UGH THANKS GUYS! :25:

seriously though, both those are really nice looking and useful blade shapes.....

@cek is that brass tubing? how did you roll that edge? I REALLY like the looks of that.

/Runs off to buy 2 more knives, hunt up an old axe handle for scales, and track down some brass tubing......

you guys are killin me LOL ....

cek and JasonJ like this.
  26. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Seriously true. I love projects like this, and those are super cool and nifty blades. But I need another sub-7" knife like I need another hole in my head.

I'm having a hard enough time finding uses for all the ones I have NOW! lol.

OldFatMan likes this.
  27. OldFatMan

OldFatMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yea... my last count was over 300, and that was a year ago... I've added 40 at least since then....

Think I'm fixing to upgrade to supporter and wear out the trade blanket with quality knives on the cheap....I either have to make room.... or buy my 4th rolling 7 drawer tool chest....

Problem is.... they ALL have meaning to me, theres not a single one I WANT to get rid of.... lol

Still trying to figure out how to flare brass tubing of that size...

28. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Which one do you guys like better?

29. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Same.. I don't have that many, but I have enough that I feel like choosing one or two to go on an outing with me is like choosing which of my children to feed that day. I just cannot do it! They all literally do the same job, just as well. So how do you pick which ones to continue using and which just sit in a drawer?

As for the brass tubing, how about something similar to the flaring kits used for brake lines in automotive use? I know there are some that have the cone shaped bit that fits on both sides, then it clamps down to flare out both sides at once... or perhaps something can be made to do that....

Aesthetically, and when I imagine how it'd go EDC'ing one of these, I see the Mini-Skrama being more useful of a blade shape, and more pleasing to my eye.

Greebe likes this.
  30. cek

cek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mini skarma for me. But the puukko isnt far off.

@OldFatMan it is brass tubing I'll get the size , ordered it off Amazon. I started the flare with these round ball punch things my wife has for making jewelry once it started to flare I taped it with a small ball pen hammer to get it where I wanted it. For some reason i had not thought about using a brake flaring tool or pipe flaring tool which both would probably work better.

Greebe likes this.
  31. Junglejim

Junglejim Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was making some mallets and was battoning off material when I hit a knot and rolled the edge. I’m bummed, I really liked the knife. 28DB7423-8D64-4779-8D96-DDAA851CE212.jpeg

Rockgod1619, x39 and Michael OD like this.
  32. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's a bummer. Hard knots will do that.

x39 likes this.
  33. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    I would like to thank you for the bare bones, as shipped, with optional sheath, review.

Having zero interest in increasing the bulk of the knife to past that of my little TR-3 auto, whose handle and blade length it dupes, also exists zero interest in adding a bulkier sheath for value added handle.

The only modification I would wish to do, is paint, to make care easier, and reduce required attention to that of only the bevel.

As you note, it seems a quite good pocket knife, and with no fragility or complexity, at all.

34. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    Might also simply be a softer than average blade, which they will have, along with harder than average blades...it happens in production set-ups where each batch of steel not tested for response prior to commencing a production run, not to mention, hot and cool spots in heat treat/temper ovens/cabinets/belts/however they do it...

Junglejim likes this.
  35. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, I guess either try to fix it or get another one. At the end of the day any cutting tool falls into the category of perishable tooling, all the more so at lower price points.

buckfynn and Greebe like this.
  36. tobiism

Blog Posts:
    No big deal. You hit a knot. Knots can bugger up edges. You can probably work it out and fix it yourself.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  37. Junglejim

Junglejim Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I was willing to go through the tempering process on this knife again it might be able to be repaired. Aneal the blade back to soft relaxed metal and the hammer the roll out then normalize, quench, and temper then yeah I think could be fixed. I’m thinking that if I just beat the roll back over to straight with a hammer it’s going to chip out or create a crystalized weak spot that will chip out later.

I think it’s dusted.

38. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    best heat treat of 80CrV2 is done via marquench/martemper, lead or salt pots...consistency of temps makes a difference, not the steel name. Personally, have never been pleased at reworks, the ripple always showed unless ground out, and that is not a repair, but erasing...their steel is supposedly through hardened then exterior is drawn down, leaving a hard core, which is exposed by grinding. Personally, also, I think that one just was a bit soft...1 pt or 2 on a Rc scale is a lot of difference in the real world, as for "stiffness" of the metal.
    My personal, also, and again, feeling, is that edges should not dent when using normal arm powered strokes or chops when hitting a knot, but that batoning induces whole nuther stress levels, and not just edge, and if it holds, it holds, and if doesn't it doesn't...I club my knives like baby seals about as often as I club baby seals...testing one tells me nothing, as it might fail the very next whack...just my own feelings...I save that stuff for when a proper tool not around and need is extremely pressing. What is CALLED bushcraft today, as in the case of this little sub-3.5" blade, seems to involve abusing the absolutely smallest knife possible while accomplishing the very largest blade chores, and then declaring it all one needs, simply because it survived the last round...which is no guarantee it will survive the next.
    I want one of those little suckers simply because it seems a very good actual knife, and quite robust for the size, and far more robust than most any folder...but NOT because I assume it absolutely indestructible.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    x39 and JasonJ like this.
  39. SC T100

SC T100 Scout

Blog Posts:
    What am I missing? Just sharpen the roll out, or tap it back and sharpen it (even if it chips...no biggie).

I honestly can't even see the roll...is it really that bad? I've rolled edges on machetes, and when that happens you just sharpen it or tap it back gently (and then sharpen it). Easy peasy.

JasonJ and x39 like this.
  40. cek

cek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Fyi The mini skarma and mini puukko with the rubber handles are in stock in case anyone didnt know yet, just ordered them with their promo 10% off promo.

JasonJ and woodsranger like this.
  41. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No biggie, Ive done that with mora knives. My 333 is fairly buggered up like that atm from whacking rocks while cutting through greenbriar and rose in a right of way. It'll sharpen out as you use it.

Junglejim likes this.
  42. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    JasonJ likes this.
  43. cek

cek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If your talking blade thickness compared to the 110/140 I believe they are thinner. I'm traveling for work this week I'll check it out when I get back.

If your talking about the rubber handles I'll let you know when they arrive, I'm guessing a little thinner than 110/140.

woodsranger likes this.
  44. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I meant the blade thickness. Thanks.

cek likes this.
  45. KFF

KFF Guide

Blog Posts:
    Was at shop a few weeks back, they had them with the handle, had a feel. Seemed like a good little knife.
    Talked with the boys, they will be getting atleast kydex sheats later on.

woodsranger, cek and JasonJ like this.
  46. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    They made the same comment about kydex for the previous Terava knives as well... last year. Let's hope they meant for all of them, coming soon.

Or so help me, I'm going to swim my arse across the Atlantic and give Jari a good talking too!

woodsranger likes this.
  47. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do it do it do it! ;):59:

woodsranger likes this.
  48. KFF

KFF Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's too much of a tempt to delay on purpose :D

There was few kydex pants in the shop for the little ones already.

49. Mookietherooster

Mookietherooster Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have to order that mini Skrama, and piggyback it to my full size one. Skrama love.

JasonJ, cek and buckfynn like this.