Terava 110 what happened to the spine?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by steene, May 1, 2018.

1. steene

steene Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just received my second 110 today. This time in carbon steel. My first was stainless and had a great 90° spine. This carbon one is bevelled along the spine.
    When did they start doing that?
    The website does now state that the spine is bevelled. I did not read it again when purchasing the second knife. I just expected the same features as before.
    It is too early to tell how it will scrape wood shavings and such for tinder. It did still throw sparks if the knife was held was just so. I have only had a whopping 10 minutes to play with it.
    Right now I'm feeling unhappy.

2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Easy enough to fix with a file or grinder.

3. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very easy 1 minute fix as described above.

ezra

4. Fixedblade

Fixedblade 3% Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry you are feeling unhappy. Maybe a fire with some bacon hanging over it will make that unhappy feeling go away. Easy fix on the knife spine as mentioned above.

5. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hmmmmmm bacon.........

6. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is my understanding of this process now. The first runs were not done this way and the factory 90 degree spine works fine.

The reason they are not doing the 90 degree spine anymore is the way the blade is tempered. They are using induction plate tempering where they harden the blade then use induction plates to soften the sides. Most people are used to zone tempered blades where the spine is soft and edge hard. Or a "san-mai" type deal where you have a sandwich that was laminated of hard steel core and soft sides. This process gives this 2nd type feel but from a single solid piece of steel. The sides are soft to give the blade higher strength and the core is harder (not as hard as the Lauri PT blades but same maker). If you grind this to 90 degree spine, you have soft steel at the edge which won't spark a ferro rod as it isn't hard enough. This beveled spine gives an edge to the harder core steel that will spark a ferro rod.

I find this beveled spine extremely comfortable on my thumb when doing push cuts while also being able to spark a ferro rod just fine.

7. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    pics! I have the old style and want to see the new!

8. victoratsea

victoratsea Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    P5010146.JPG P5010147.JPG P5010149.JPG P5010152.JPG Here's some pics Brother. Got this one about a week ago.
    Victor

Primordial, steene, Coryphene and 2 others like this.
  9. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  10. Gman1051

Gman1051 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My new one has this bevel. Though I haven't tried it yet, looks like you'll have to hold a lower angle with a ferro rod.

steene, Coryphene and MrFixIt like this.
  11. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Seems to me after reading all the posts in this thread that you may want to re-read @Coryphene 's response above before taking a file to the spine.

12. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mine have a very slight bevel where you can see the forge scale was ground off.. but yet are still rather sharp and good enough to strike the ferro rods. Perhaps they are more rounded now than in the past, and the very earliest ones not at all.

Coryphene and MrFixIt like this.
  13. Jaeger

Jaeger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have both the old and the new style. The new style throws sparks from a ferro rod WAY better than the old one did due to the induction process described above. And it's easier on the thumb. I'm a big fan of this new style and may see about incorporating it into some other knives. You have to find the correct angle, but that's easy to do.

14. steene

steene Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will have to give it more time. So far, I can't get as good of wood scrapings as the true 90° on the old 110 stainless. And that is my primary use of the spine. Scraping off bark and making fuzzies for fire prep.
    The new angles seems to be a lot more hold sensitive.

americanstrat98 and LostViking like this.
  15. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know it goes against the grain here because why carry something extra if you don't need to, but after having used the spine of my knife for years to create wood scrapings, I now just carry one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OG3SKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works better than my knife, and can also be used as an emergency knife/hatchet sharpener. My knife's spine is still 90-degrees as a backup, but it never gets used anymore because, ya know, I've never lost my pack and had to survive with just my knife. :)

I'm also a big fan of using the proper tool for the proper job, which is why I now use my knife for what it was designed for: cutting and slicing. For battoning and chopping and splitting, I now use a hatchet.

It took me 40 years to finally learn that.

16. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I got a $30 PayPal gift card recently so I ordered a 110 without the sheath. Kind of glad to hear spine isn't a sharp 90° as I would have rounded it asap. I usually only leave the last inch of the spine sharp but keep the area where my thumb is placed for carving and use rounded. The more I play with friction fire, the less I am relying on the spine for striking rods. Also getting better at finding tinder without having to use the spine for shavings. In my experience the spine dulls nearly as quickly as the edge from making shavings over and over.

I guess I am advocating to not be afraid to get outside your comfort zone. Sometimes it only takes just a few more minutes to create that perfect tinder bundle. It takes far longer to sharpen the spine properly in the woods.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  17. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Any one know how the spine is on the 140?

18. steene

steene Scout

Blog Posts:
    I believe the website lists all models now as bevelled.

GreyOne likes this.
  19. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Or... you could just use a scraper that comes with most ferro rods! I know it's a weird concept, but it would work.

I make my scrapers from a 1" section of old hacksaw blades. They work like a champ. Drill a hole at one end and attach it to a lanyard then to your rod.

Steve

20. steene

steene Scout

Blog Posts:
    My initial response was not good. I assumed I would be getting the same specs as before. Something looked different right off the bat.
    I purchased my first 110 because of the 90° spine. I was eyeing a Garberg and stumbled on some favorable reviews on this knife. The stainless version has been great, thus far.
    Most of my knives have had the spine filed down. It is something I hate doing. It's like taking your key and scratching the paint on your new car.

It is still a solid knife. The sheath is solid.

21. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mine has the beveled spine and it throws sparks just fine. I like it and wouldn’t file it square!

The bevels on mine are wide enough that filing to get rid of them would be a big job.

It’s perfect as it comes, just use it and stop whining!

22. shanerbass

shanerbass Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree. I have an older version and one of the new ones with the bevel, and the new one definitely showers the sparks. I had my older one ground to 90 degrees and it still wouldn't produce sparks unless using the very tip

DomC likes this.
  23. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a bic lighter.
    Old or new edge 110 will work and then there is the actual edge. Its a work knife get over it. I also carry a sharpener (DMT Diafold), but mainly for my big blades.
    Loads of ways to light a fire, and to me the ferro rod is a lot of work and for me just a back up. If I want a fire I'll have it now, whatever is quickest. However, doing the fire prep is time well spent; thats tinder and fire sticks to get a burn going.

DomC and JasonJ like this.
  24. Flyfisher05221970

Flyfisher05221970 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Like above I carry a fero rod, but smoke ( I know nasty habit) but at any given time I always have bic, in my fishing pack or daypack depending on the activity that I’m doing. Then the fero rod and the spine of my knife is the back up.

DomC and Muskett like this.
  25. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    Same bad habit. My children don't smoke but I encourage them to carry a lighter anyhow as they are a tool in their own right. I try to have two lighters on me most of the time, the ferro rod when I'm doing "bushcraft" messing about in the woods.
    My survival kits have both mini bic and ferros. My tool kits just bic and matches. In fact wherever I have a knife, fishing bag, shooting jacket, there is a lighter of some sort. Not just because I smoke but because its useful. Work coats get a little firestarter tin of vasaline/wax cotton balls.
    Pocket knife, handkerchief, and lighter are my basics, dressed for the day. Anything more is a decision, and the 110 or 140, even the Skrama get the "go to decision" often. Above quite a few fancier things; because they are that good.

DomC and JasonJ like this.
  26. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Received my 110 today. Spent the day doing outside chores so it mostly cut pegs for a weed berrier in the garden, and some string for lines. The wife was working late, so I took an hour to square the bevels and put my own micro bevel on the edge. Afterwards I scraped some fatwood shavings with the spine, and struck the fire steel once to make this light up. Works great.
    IMG_20180517_205542323_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180517_205608350.jpg

woodsranger, DomC and JasonJ like this.
  27. MASC1104

MASC1104 Old Dominion Resident Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Commonwealth of Virginia - The Mother of States
    Hmmmm.. gotta pull out my 140 and see how its done on mine.

28. Loogaroo

Loogaroo Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My favorite scraper is a closed Opinel 6 or 7. Drilled a hole in handle and tossed it on my lanyard with the ferro rod. No mod, no fuss and now you also have a small knife to whittle.

victoratsea likes this.
  29. webscrounger

webscrounger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just got mine. Needs a better edge put on but I expected that. Spine is just fine as is. Makes sparks, no problem. Scrapes a bit different but works just fine. That sheath ... Nice!

JasonJ likes this.
  30. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking of convexing the edge on my 110- leaving the 140 as is or adding scandi-vex to that one. The 110 needs something better for finer carving.. but the 140 is my go-to kindling processing knife and all around beater. I'd really like the 110 to cut more effortlessly than it does.