The almost Yellowstone Trip report

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by dads2vette, Aug 21, 2019.

1. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    First, I'm fine. Doing better every day...I would guess. I started writing the prologue of this report before I started...as you can tell.

Pull up a chair, log or roll up a boulder and gather round the campfire. You may think I'm too old or dimwitted but the tales I'm about to describe are all true and will fill you with wonder and amazement. Skies lit on fire and clouds pouring from the ground. Animals so fantastic and majestic that it seems too unreal. Waters so crisp and still that the heavens themselves are reflected in their glory. Join me, won't you, on this fantastic journey.

My adventure started in the high desert of Arizona, a scant 100 miles south of one of America's other great preserves, Grand Canyon National Park. This tale will make no mention of this place as my considerations are for far more northerly destinations.

I decided to leave a day early, a benefit of being mostly retired, to get a jump on some prep work before the trip really gets under way. Flagstaff was my first stop primarily because I had to make a stop here anyway and grab a few things for the trip, propane and a new pillow(woohoo!). Stayed at Motel 6 Flagstaff West...look for the review, it’s a good review for those who don’t want to track it down...for those who do...why?

Leaving Flagstaff at 4 AM I was on my way to Horseshoe Bend. It was a good idea to leave early for two reasons. One, I was up, not getting back to sleep. Two, I wanted to make sure I could do the hike before the heat of the day...good call. Not a long hike, 1.5 miles in and out but there was a total of 400’ of elevation change. Not a tough hike, I was a little winded on the initial incline because I was racing to get to the top for some reason. The real reason to take a camera is that it gives you a great excuse to stop and catch your breath. Even after taking my time here I had plenty of time to get to my next stop and since Bryce was on the way I decided to head there.

This is my second trip to Bryce and this one was nicer as I controlled how I saw the park. I’m not a big fan of hurrying up to get to the next spot. I like to explore a spot, relax and let it “come to me”. On the way I did my fair share of stopping at the scenic points in Red Canyon. Quite a beautiful area where I managed to get a few very poor pictures. The same could be said for Bryce. I just wasn’t there at a good time for me to get the shots that I wanted or hoped to get and with this park being so close to home I know I’ll be back.

My second stop is the lovely hamlet of Panguitch, Utah. I have stayed in this lovely little town before and this layover had hopes to be as peaceful and beneficial as past trips. The first part of this trip is strictly a box lunch venture as I have a great deal of provisions with me. No sense in wasting valuable resources to purchase foodstuffs when I can pack my own from home. I did, however, manage to procure a bit of ice to refill my chest. Even though this was to be a one night stay it turned out I spent much less time there than anticipated. I suffered, had, received...a heart attack at about 10 pm. Short ambulance ride to the ER, a 35 minute flight by helicopter, another short stay in the emergency room before being admitted and the trip was over.

My Camp:
    St George Utah campsite.jpg

The view from camp:
    View from camp.jpg

See, I plan and plan and plan and one little burp in the plan and the whole trip goes down the tubes. All kidding aside, I’m doing fine and am now planning (for the 5th time) to take this trip next spring/summer.

dave

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. Gpschef

Gpschef Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Dave- this May sound dumb but you survived a heart attack and lived to tell us and to camp another day! This trip will happen! I have faith in you! Just make sure you do ALL the cardiac rehab!

3. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    You'll get there Dave.

buckfynn, dads2vette, MrFixIt and 5 others like this.
  4. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad you are ok, get the ol' ticker squared away, and take it easy.

buckfynn, M.Hatfield, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  5. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
  6. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There's a marked shortage of bacon in that camp, but I'll give it a pass considering the circumstances. Glad you're still here on the topside with us.

7. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Happy to hear you're on the mend. Yellowstone will come it time. joe

8. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tell's you something that I have to change the style of the site to read your story and that I do that for you, no one else.
    Glad your're still here, sorry about reduced bacon in your life, but a lot to see still.

9. BetterNotBitterIsSurvival

BetterNotBitterIsSurvival LB #42 Semi-Official Princess Helga IS thriving! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So...sorry about your change of plans, glad you're doing well and I hope you get well soon. And you are a pretty darn good storyteller. Much relieved your story had a happy ending and here's hoping an even better ending next time.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  10. Revinmama

Revinmama Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    "One little burp . . ."
    I'm glad you're well enough to retain your sense of humor. Blessings on your recovery.

Marlene

11. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well that was certainly an adventure.........being in town a suppose was a plus.....plenty of time to get ready for the trip......BE WELL!

12. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  13. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Glad you are doing well. Next summer will be here before you know it.

Regards,

ezra

14. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Strange how the threat of another heart attack makes following a better diet not a big deal. No bacon, no BBQ, no red meat = much greater chance of heart attack? I'll take it. Of course they didn't say none, just very rarely but I can certainly live without.

Very Kind of you! I'm hoping to get out camping next month to help get over my lost opportunity for this past trip. Maybe just around my place or somewhere in the Mogollon Rim.

Thanks. I have been known to weave a tale or two. I'm very glad I could complete this part of the story...and start a new one.

dave

MrFixIt, buckfynn, M.Hatfield and 2 others like this.
  15. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Dude. You need to find someone else to plan your trips.
    :eek:
    Or maybe to execute them for/with you?
    :eek::eek:
    At least to locate a better campsite for you?
    :eek::eek::eek:

In all seriousness, I'm glad to hear you are doing ok. I was thinking about you yesterday and thinking that I haven't seen anything new from you lately. It must have been quite the experience. Not the one I expected to see when this thread came up.

MrFixIt, buckfynn, dads2vette and 3 others like this.
  16. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    I can not argue any of your points! Wasn't the experience I was hoping but, It's gotta make me a better person.

dave