The Best Survival Foods: Non-Perishables That Can Outlive You

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Harper, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ---

They have found honey in the pyramids which was still edible.

Honey also has a host of medicinal properties:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...-multiple-purposes.145545/page-3#post-2639981

Source for the article:
    http://www.nextpreppers.com/2018/10/06/the-best-survival-foods-non-perishables-that-can-outlive-you/

The Best Survival Foods: Non-Perishables That Can Outlive You

October 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

Whether you’re sick of throwing out food that’s long past its expiry date, or are working on preparing a food stockpile in case of an emergency, consumables that practically never spoil can be a huge asset to your household. This article lists non-perishable food items that not only have long shelf lives, but if taken care of properly, these foods stand a chance of never going bad within your lifetime.

These ideal survival foods will of course need to be stored the right way in order to retain their practically never-ending shelf life. The absolute best place to keep a food stockpile is in a dark, cool, and dry spot, free of humidity, moisture, direct sunlight, and extreme temperatures. Keeping consumables in an air-tight container, or better yet, vacuum packed, is also very important to increasing shelf life.

The best survival secrets and recipes that helped our ancestors survive gloomy days are about to be discovered in “The Lost Ways” book.

CLICK HERE for more information about this awesome survival book!

Although many non-perishable survival foods may change flavour and/or texture over the years, they remain edible and perfectly safe for consumption over indefinite periods of time. Use your senses to judge whether or not food with long shelf life has expired. If it smells off, has become too soft, or has developed mold, it’s better not to eat the item.

[​IMG]

Best Long Shelf-Life Non-Perishable Food Items You Can Buy
    1. Staple survival foods that are non-perishable
    You’ll need to be really careful about keeping these completely dry and free from moisture, but if you can manage to store these in air-tight containers, they will keep for an incredibly long period of time.

• Rice: white, wild, jasmine, Arborio and basmati (brown rice does not keep forever)
    • Hardtack crackers/biscuits
    • Dried cranberries
    Learn More Than THE BEST Secrets For A Healthier, Safer Off-Grid Life!
    2. Other survival foods that are non-perishable
    Although some of these food items will change texture, thickening or hardening over time, they will only change in terms of taste. These survival foods never spoil, and will still remain edible long after their flavour has changed.

• Honey
    • Molasses
    • Maple syrup
    • Dried lentils
    • Dried beans
    • Dried split peas
    • Dry mix Jello
    • Gobstoppers
    (Cont.)

2. Harper

Blog Posts:
    3. Survival foods that if frozen are non-perishable
    Though these non-perishable foods last a long time if they’re left out in the open, if they’re frozen, their shelf life extends to indefinite amounts of time.

• Dried pasta
    • Noodles
    • Dried fruits (such as raisins, dried cranberries, dried cranberries, dried cherries, dried apricots, dried mangoes, dates, dried blueberries, dried plums, banana chips, figs)
    • Instant/freeze-dried coffee
    [​IMG]

4. Base ingredients that are non-perishable
    Apparently, these base ingredients can be the perfect survival food. According to some sources, if you simply keep them unused, in an air-tight container and completely free of humidity and moisture, and you’re likely to never have to buy them again.

• Corn starch
    • Baking soda
    • Corn syrup
    Also read: What You Should Do Within 60 Minutes After SHTF

5. Seasonings that are non-perishable
    Seasonings are also excellent survival foods, as they’re food that lasts forever, and only get weaker in strength of taste over long periods of time. Like with the base ingredients, keep these in an air-tight container, free of moisture and humidity, and they’re likely to never expire.

• Salt
    • Sugar
    • Pepper
    • Spices
    • Dried herbs
    • Pure flavour extracts (pure vanilla extract, etc.)
    6. Condiments that are non-perishable
    While these foods will likely change in taste after some time, they remain safe to eat indefinitely. The best way to keep these non-perishable foods is in an airtight container, free of moisture, and in a dark, cool spot, away from sunlight. This type of storage will keep your non-perishable food condiments tasting better for longer.

• Vinegar (white, apple, balsamic, raspberry, rice wine, and red wine vinegar)
    • Worcestershire sauce (unopened)
    7. Survival drinks that are non-perishable
    Non-perishable drinks are another asset you can add to your survival food stockpile. Any alcohol over 10% that does not contain eggs, milk, and other dairy derivatives (ex. not Baileys, Tia Maria, etc.) should typically last forever in a stockpile. Alcohol also has disinfectant and medicinal properties, so keeping it stocked, especially when it never goes bad, is definitely a good idea for any prepper. Learn more about the best alcohol to stockpile here.

• Wine
    • Spirits
    • Liquors
    Any Long-Term Expiry Date Food Items We’ve Missed?
    Let us know if we’ve missed anything that should be on this survival foods list by leaving a comment down below!

Preparedness Hacks: Once a nuke is heading your way, you might think that there isn’t much left to do, but you would be wrong!

Because we will show you America’s natural nuclear bunkers that are also EMP proof. When the sirens start wailing, all you need to do is pick the closest one to your home, where you can take cover before it hits.

3. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Personally I put more stock in O2 absorbers than a vacuum or nitrogen .
    IF a leak occurs the vacuum is gone and or the nitrogen escapes but the O2 absorber will continue to work until it is completely exhausted.
    My foods are portioned and put in secondary bags and 02 absorbers added to them and then in buckets an O2 absorbers added to that .
    If a stray bullet passes through my stores all is not lost .
    My other concern now is establishing a secondary storage in the event the house is compromised with fire, earth quake or raid.
    I have water in all kinds of containers with the expectation of filtering regardless .
    A single event is not all that ever happens , but multiple events like a domino effect usually occur .
    If all your eggs are in one basket and the basket is crushed then what ?

Bobsdock, Harper and crewhead05 like this.
  4. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wheat. I can’t believe it isn’t in the list. I may have missed it I guess. There isn’t a much more versatile food, IMO. I believe that wheat was also found in the pyramids. Still good.

The largest portion of my preps is wheat, with rice, beans and corn following up. Like you said, spices... “the spice of life” saying came about for a reason.

Lots of other items have very long storage life. And, if those are used regularly, even a young person can have a ‘forever’ storage plan.

And, a caution. Most of my storage food is where it can freeze. Most things aren’t hurt by freezing, but...

Vinegar freezes. Learned this the hard way. We had LOTS of it, all in plastic bottles and those in plastic tubs, thankfully. The darn bottles held, but the freezing pushed the vinegar out of the top. Since they were in tubs, no harm. But some was wasted that way.

1911srule, Bobsdock and Harper like this.
  5. Harper

Blog Posts:

I agree with you about the O2 absorbers. They're cheap, too.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  6. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Just be careful not to collapse any buckets you use them in.

Bobsdock and Harper like this.
  7. Harper

Blog Posts:

I read that Red Wheat can last 30+ years with proper storage.

White Wheat doesn't last quite as long at 20+ years.

A note of caution about wheat: farmers are adding glyphosate as a desiccant a few days before harvesting to get higher yields (more $). Unfortunately, that means more of this cancer causing chemical (they just lost a huge case for almost $300 million which is being appealed) is getting into the food chain and, ultimately, us. Try and get organic.

Also, wheat should be stored in its whole form. Not as flour.

Cold is usually good (vinegar aside), heat will reduce storage life. Attic--no. Garage--not great. Room--better. Basement--best.

The reason spices were so expensive and led to the Age of Exploration was that there was no refrigeration and the food went bad bringing with it waste and associated illnesses.

Bobsdock and NevadaBlue like this.
  8. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I have always wished I had a real underground fruit cellar. If I were to build a new place, one requirement would be a free-standing ‘fruit cellar’. An underground bunker if you will that would store food, safe from fire and storms.

9. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  10. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Brown rice will go rancid in less than 5 years even if stored in mylar with O2 absorbers. Buy white only. The oils in the hulls is the culprit. This I know.

I buy only organic wheat, etc. for storage. It's worth it IMO, I was not a believer but over the years I've read too much about how our "food" is treated these days to not demand organic. It's a small price to pay IMO. Organic wheat bought through a local grain mill is still less than $1.00 a pound.

Bobsdock, NoBrakesRacing and Harper like this.
  11. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Rice stored in a 2 liter soda bottle will keep
    and is cheap, same with beans/ lentils..

Harper likes this.
  12. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Just remember that the formulations of the plastic used to make soda bottles are designed to degrade (for landfills). Some will no doubt get into the food.

Soda bottles are really not good for a long term storage container.

Bobsdock and rsnurkle like this.
  13. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You folks do know about storing root vegetables in 5 gallon buckets of sand right??? I guess you could use any container but we used buckets, and it allowed us to keep vegetables like they just came out of the garden most of the winter. Very simple too. Just put your veggies in the buckets and cover them with sand. Easy Peasy.

14. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I assume this is clean sand and not full of critters from the local ground, or do sand critters not like vegetables? We don't have sand here, only clay. :(

Harper likes this.
  15. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup, clean sand. We didn't have good sand near us either, so my brother and I went to a local beach, late at night and helped ourselves to a truck bed full. That sand was used for many moons.

Bobsdock and Harper like this.
  16. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    High proof spirits are almost indefinite in shelf life. Flavored liquor that is less than 80 proof will lose their flavor, best within a few years of production. Dry red wine stored properly will last many years. Sweet wine will not. White wine best within 2 years of production. But the good thing is when wine goes bad it turns to vinegar which might be even more useful imho. We use white vinegar mostly for cleaning food prep surfaces and wiping venison with to keep bacteria levels low. It has multiple medicinal uses and in food preservation... invaluable imo. If I had nothing, apple cider vinegar production would be a high priority...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Harper likes this.
  17. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1

Harper likes this.