The big snow of 2015

Discussion in 'New Mexico' started by TheGeoSquirrel, Dec 29, 2015.

1. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey everyone in NM how are you surviving this big dump of snow. I live in Roswell and have 18 inches of the white stuff in my yard. The city has no snow removal equipment so all the streets suck. I was out in my jeep this morning running erreads and had snow and ice scraping the bottom. Even where the State has come thru on 2nd st. and Main st. It is still bad. The hotels I passed by are all full and the grocery stores are getting low on some items. I have lived in NM all my life (58 years) and can say I have never seen snow like this in SE NM. I have seen it like this in N NM up in Sante Fe, Los Alamos etc... but never here. The Sheriffs office has even gotten their hummer stuck. My office has been closed yesterday and today because no one can get in. I cant count the number of people trying to drive vehicles not equipped for this type of road conditions and then wonder why they cant get where they want to go. Them gettig stuck block the road for the people who do have vehicles that can drive in this stuff. Conditions are worse than I have ever seen here.

2. rattleweed

rattleweed Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am about 30 miles as the crow flies southwest of you. We have 5 foot drifts and maybe deeper in the creek crossings. We are going nowhere in vehicles, quads, or horseback. The cattle are eating the tall grass on the wind blasted north facing slopes and licking snow for water. I can't believe we did not lose power or phone.

3. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    Stay inside and warm. I have had to be out in it several times and each time I cringe and shake my head. I was up on Main just a little bit ago and it is bumper to bumper and idiots trying to pass and weave in and out of traffic. I am sure glad I retired from law enforcement because my tolerence for stupid has sure gotten less as I have gotten older. I hope your livestock weather this storm Ok. Ranching is tough enough with out having to deal with weather like this. No power lose here yet either but if this new snow keeps it up we may. This stuff is wetter than the snow from yesterday and the.day before. Its sticking to the trees and power lines now.
    I have had to help several people get unstuck right infront of my house.
    We need the moisture but I would like to see it get streached out over the winter not in one big dump on us.
    Stay safe and if we can be of any help just shout. I dont know how much we can help but would sure try.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    I hope those of you affected by this storm are finally getting dug out and back to something near normal. I know lots of people around here are still having problems. A friends father had his front porch collapse from the weight of snow and had to be dug out. He coulden't get out his front door. One of our gas stations had their pump awning collapse and our Honda car dealer had their show room roof collapse. I have had to go pick up a fellow employee because she couldent get to work otherwise.
    All that is here in town. I really am hopeing those of you living out on ranches are starting to be able to get around or have had the Natl. Guard make it out to help you. I know one of the Attys I work for is stuck out on his ranch and I heard he had no power, gas or water, and no way to get out to his livestock. I pray that your guys livestock loses are minimal.
    We are getting a light dusting of new snow now with the possibility of up to 3 more inches over today and tomorrow.
    Take care.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  5. plumberoy

plumberoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hope you guys get dug out, keep safe. Mean while here in Ohio we haven't even got close enough to snow for me to dig my snow blower out yet . This last couple of days are the first time this winter we have had average temps . I still have swiss chard and mustard in the garden and could actually cut the grass now
    Roy

6. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How much snow are we talking about here (actual snow fall, not drifts)?

I have to admit, when you first said you had 18" I smiled and thought "geez, thats a mild storm here in Buffalo". But further description, sounds more serious than that.

We just got our first "real" snow here yesterday into today. Couple of inches is all.

Edit to add: Hope you all stay safe and warm.

7. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    We are just talking right aroud 18 to 24 inches. I know for you guys back east or up north thats not a big deal but for us its a problem. Most of our communities here in SE NM dont hve snow removel equipment. The state brought their trucks for the highways but in town the city had to get out every tractor, road grater, and backhoe that has a blade on it. They also dident get on it right away and start clearing the roads. By the time they got serious about doing anything there was already at least a foot on the roads. By back east standards this was a light storm but here it brought things to a standstill.

8. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh I understand and hope you don't think I was giving you a hard time. The municipalities around here have snow removal pretty well down to a science. With every serious storm over the years they've continued to learn new lessons and tactics to get things cleared out quickly so that the next one is just a little less disruptive. But that sort of thing comes with experience, and of course we have the equipment to tackle it.

Every few years Mother Nature likes to remind us that she is always one step ahead and we're just trying to keep up (like she did last year when she threw 6+ feet at us in under 72 hours).

Best of luck out there. Hope you got a sturdy shovel and plenty of aspirin to help with the sore back from using it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  9. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    Headybrew, no problem. Dident think for a moment that you were giving me a hard time. Thats just one of the great things about BCUSA, we all kind of get to live vicaroiously thru the threads and stories that others post. We also get to learn things about where others live that we might not normally get to hear about. Its all good!

10. rattleweed

rattleweed Scout

Blog Posts:
    The drifting caused by the high winds are causing the most trouble for us. 50 to 60 mph here and gusts over 80 mph in Clovis area. I have strips of bare ground and 4 foot plus drifts over 100 feet across. Its all good and should have the road clear enough by Sunday. I have 30 miles of dirt road,3 private and the rest county, and 14 miles of highway to get to town. The livestock and wildlife are doing fine. The country is narrow canyons and draws split by limestone ridges so lots of places for animals to find cover.

11. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    Rattleweed,
    Glad you are doing ok. We haven't had that kind of wind here, thank God. I think the worst we had was about 40 mph. Drifting has been bad in some places. Anyway I'm glad conditions are improving for you.

12. rattleweed

rattleweed Scout

Blog Posts:
    The worst thing about being snowed in is this internet access. I keep finding myself on sights like amazon. Point, click, buy.

13. TheGeoSquirrel

Blog Posts:
    Thats pretty funny. To quote a famous movie " Use the force Luke", "Dont give in to the dark side"

14. Cberg1975

Cberg1975 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Capitan, we got hit but not as bad as you guys. Incas expecting higher winds here but they didn't get too bad. We got around 21 inches of snow. Most of the highways were closed for sometime afterwards. We never lost power here either.
    Glad to hear you guys a doing good.

15. captjim_nm

captjim_nm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When it snows and I get a day off work, time to go into my radio shop and talk to hams all over the country. If something is in hunting season, I will load-up and see if I can bag some game.