The Bionics Club.

Discussion in 'BUSHCRAFT CODGERS' started by saxonaxe, May 9, 2019.

1. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Before I retired to civilian life I was part of a special unit that required a very high standard of physical fitness, A) To pass selection in the first place, and B) To remain as an operational member of the unit. No formal fitness regime was enforced, it was left entirely to the self motivation of each member to maintain his personal fitness standards.

Turn the clock forward a couple of decades...plus. A couple of times a month half a dozen, sometimes more of the old crew get together socially...It is chaos...:D Anyone of a sensitive nature or politically correct outlook would shrivel up at our gatherings, friendly verbal abuse and trickery is the name of the game. Our meetings invariably involve exaggerated yarns and tears of laughter and most conversations begin, " Do you remember when...?"

In a rare quiet moment the other week, one of the team said to me that my powers of observation had sadly faded.." Oh! What makes you say that?" I asked.
    He pointed to tiny Hearing Aids in each of his ears..He had finally joined others already wearing various Hearing Aids. This led to a general, " Ok, Who's got what?" question between all eight of us present.
    The result of the survey led to much merriment. We all required either reading glasses or long vision glasses. Five wore hearing Aids, two proudly showed that tell tale small bump high on the chest that indicated the presence of a Heart Pace Maker. One had just undergone a knee joint replacement and another is soon to have some sort of vertebrae fusion operation.

We are seriously considering getting a unit badge made up, although undecided as to the exact design. A winged wheelchair with crossed walking sticks above it, or a badge showing Spectacles with an old fashioned Hearing Trumpet on each side has also been suggested.
    The motto " Not dead yet" will be displayed underneath,.... written on a Hospital temperature chart....:dblthumb: :D

2. Outdoor Time

Outdoor Time BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a great group to be part of. I am a part of a group similar to what you described. Just be proud so many are alive to tell the stories. You did not say what type of unit you were in so I will not ask but I would like to thank you for your service. Most units like that are doing things to keep others safe with little regard for personal safety and never a thank you. So thank you for whatever service you provided. Sorry for the long post. Edit. Not dead yet is something to be proud of.

Oni and Quinlan like this.