The coolest French press in the entire world

Discussion in 'Food' started by okcmco, Aug 11, 2017.

1. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I was browsing the website of L.L. Bean. And I saw this, which I consider to be a very interesting combination of old-school style and hipster barista chill..
    I will use it tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. Alex1

Alex1 BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It looks great but I sure wish they could be made in USA.

Bitterfists, JohnP, Zaveral and 3 others like this.
  3. EternalLove

EternalLove Scout

Blog Posts:
    It looks great but I could dent it with the power of my mind.
    "Look! Over there! (Drops it on the floor).

See. It's broken now. Come to think of it half of the Stanely thermos on display are dented and can't insulate liquids to begin with. To their credit at least they weigh half the weight of the old ones.

It's a shame that they're not made in America anymore.

JohnP, marbleman, Luzster and 2 others like this.
  4. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 Stanley thermoset. Both USA made. One is great, one is useless at keeping things warm.

Winterhorse likes this.
  5. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I too wish they were still US made. I doubt if I could find and American made French press

Winterhorse likes this.
  6. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Always wondered about that one @okcmco . Like to see or hear a review on it . You are tagged! Lol

okcmco and Winterhorse like this.
  7. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had a French Press once made by Boden I think, I used it for quite a while, it was tempered glass that fit into a metal carrier, it made great coffee but didn't keep it warm, it was also kind of a PITA to boil the water in another container, pure it into the press, add coffee, do the plunger thingy, and then the clean up after, especially the screen, way too much trouble in my opinion for one cup of hot coffee and three cups of luke warm coffee.
    One day while cleaning it I bumped the glass part against the kitchen sink and it shattered, I didn't know whether to be upset or happy to finally throw it out, that was about fifteen years ago, ever since I've been using a drip coffee maker, it makes good coffee, keeps it warm for a couple of hours, and clean up is a breeze.
    It's none of my business of course, but I never could understand why people choose to carry different types of coffee makers on hikes and backpacking trips when there are so many other options that don't require carrying extra gear, I'm not suggesting using instant coffee, that stuff doesn't qualify as real coffee in my book.
    But there's nothing bad about cowboy coffee brewed in a bush pot when it's done right, or if one is opposed to a few grinds getting into their teeth there's always the premeasured filter bags of real coffee that you just steep in hot water for a few minutes just like tea, I use the Maxwell House 6 cup bags allot, makes good brewed coffee with a minimum amount of work and no clean up to speak about.
    Just one man's opinion of course. o_O

8. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Chaotic Neutral. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If I recall correctly the Aeropress is USA made. They're pretty killer.

Winterhorse likes this.
  9. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yikes that thing is expensive!

I've got a 32oz vacuum insulated Thermos brand press that works great at half the price..................though it just does the job w/o any cool retro-vibes. It rides in a small Cabelas duffel with a Jetboil and a small can of coffee an extra fuel can, and a backup Snow Peak Giga. It's my coffee kit to take on the road. It makes my coffee at hotels (I NEVER trust hotel coffee to be caffeinated), and also roadside when my mug runs dry. I'll literally take an off-ramp and brew on the shoulder of the road. No need to buy 12hr old crap from a truck stop or gas station.

10. Zaveral

Zaveral Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Made in France?

Alex1 and Winterhorse like this.
  11. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I won't be carrying this rig for light weight packing trips. It weighs 3 or 4 pounds and is completely impractical for this use. Car camping and cabin use only.
    On light packing trips, I will make cowboy coffee which is basically french press coffee but instead of the press, you use a few tablespoons of cold water to settle the grounds.
    I do carry a lightweight Japanese made manual coffee mill that I like to use when back packing, because...well...we are not barbarians after all.
    For short over nighters or 3 day trips I usually just grind enough to get me through before the trip, but pre grinding will rob your coffee of its aromatic properties...
    I have stopped using a drip maker. For one thing that is extra paper I am putting in the land fill. For another I don't like my hot coffee water sitting in the soft plastic filter holder while it brews. Also it takes too long. Lastly I don't like my coffee warming on a hot burner. I could transfer to a vacuum bottle but that is dirtying one more thing. The Stanley thermos press is the answer

fire65 likes this.
  12. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I have there thermos one as well. Does not work well. Does not keep it hot and lets lots of grounds into my coffee. Seems like a poor design..Maybe yours works better

13. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    But it doesn't match my stanley thermos......

Youcantreadinthedark likes this.
  14. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got the Stanley mountain french press and it was OK. the lip that helps seal in the grounds didn't hold up well. Could be because I used too much force to push the water thru. The thermos still works well to this day but I prefer my full size Stanley 2 qt, holds stuff hot for at least 24 hrs.

okcmco likes this.
  15. DarrylM

DarrylM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a Bodum french press that does car camping with me. Day trips and quick overnights is easier for me to carry cold brew.

When I use the french press, it goes into an insulated lunch bag. That gives me 3 cups full of hot coffee as I do breakfast.

LongChinJon and okcmco like this.
  16. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I drink my coffee immediately so I have no idea how long the coffee would stay hot. My biggest concern is durability during travel, otherwise I'd use a glass Bodum. I don't have any problems with grounds.

okcmco likes this.
  17. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've also got both the 32oz and 48oz REI (rebranded Liquid Solution) insulated coffee presses. They work very well, but are bulky for the size/weight conscious. Perfect for car and raft camping though.

okcmco likes this.
  18. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I used this Stanley press today and yesterday. It works every bit as well as my premium glass presses from France and Portugal. The insulating quality is nearly what is advertised. No grounds make their way into the brew. The rig is made in China, but is very well made for all that

19. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love this line.

SoreFeet and fire65 like this.
  20. AZ Wandering Bear

AZ Wandering Bear Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts: