The Grind: Whaling in the Faroe Islands

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Sandcut, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is an interesting documentary contrasting a traditional subsistence culture in a modern setting rather than in a primitive hunter-gatherer setting that we usually associate with these types of activities.

2. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Scout

Blog Posts:
    I find it funny how radical environmentalist think they are so high and mighty for denying a people a valuable food source. Of course she probably lives in the city and won't ever understand the concept of subsistence hunting.

City Bushcrafter, Sandcut and PMSteve like this.
  3. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    That was a very good documentary. Thanks for posting that up.

4. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Great documentary. Thanks for posting. Whale blubber is an acquired taste. I bet most of those activists are hypocrites and eat some kind of meat!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Sandcut and PMSteve like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the video .
    Sad that people fight over these ignorances .
    there have been die offs through out the centuries , and the people hunt they are mindful of the balance of nature. much like we have hunting/fishing regulations to protect the species. These people do better than most around the world .
    Arguing these issues as though one is evil being demonized and one is good being patronized, on both sides , both only dig their heels in deeper , until you answer the need for the hunting to begin with.
    Most in the US hunt for sport and the extra meat ,though it is not a necessity with modern means available , few here depend on wild resources.
    Another issue ,real to them is their traditions and the social order of things and their dependencies on one another .
    Forcing a world view will only work to tear this society down .
    I don't particularly enjoy killing any thing , however I do value human life over that of animals and vegetables and fruit.

6. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting documentary. I knew of the Grind (sounds like 'grinned') from reading about it in college. This is the first time I've seen videos of the practice.

The Sea Shepherds have their own agenda, but that agenda is uninformed when it interferes with a legal practice. When the founder of the Sea Shepherds said they will oppose any illegal activities concerning Whales, Dolphins etc., wouldn't that make their actions in the Faroe Islands against the founder's word, since the Grind is legal under Danish law?

I'm happy that they eventually were arrested by the Danish authorities. Too bad they didn't snag Pamela Anderson when they made the arrests.

On the other hand, the Faroese people don't actually eat a lot of Whale meat and blubber as a staple of their diets. In other words, this isn't so much subsistance hunting as it is the continuation of their island traditions. The Doctor stated that there is an increasing amount of lead and mercury in the Whale meat, making it fairly hazardous to eat. Eventually, this tradition will die out as the Whale populations decrease, or more people show signs of mercury poisoning.

I can see both sides of this controversary but I tend to side with the islanders in this one. The protesters just seem to not understand the ways and traditions of these island people. When the one Sea Shepherd volunteer stated that he was willing to die for the Whales, someone should have shot him. I fail to understand that level of fanaticism over Whales and Dolphins.

Steve