The hardwoodsman tab requirements

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by Iz, Oct 10, 2011.

1. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The hardest part is figuring out exactly what to put in your video. The format isn't real clear and the rules are a bit grey. My best advice is film everything, make sure you have lots of batteries and memory, edit things out for time but don't delete it and if you even THINK that they are going to want to see it get a clear picture of it.

Good luck!

2. wvtracker14

wvtracker14 Hardwoodsman #9 Supporter Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    This is a great reference sheet to go by, use it to keep track of what you have/haven't completed so far. But watch the videos not only are there other requirements in each video but Iz will also give you tricks and tips on how to best accomplish a challenge.

This! Very good explanation here. Thanks @rsnurkle!

Watch the videos. In the Man in the Creek video that Iz made he states that you DO Not get into the creek or get wet. If you still have questions after watching the videos then any of the 9 Hardwoodsman will answer them. The only challenge that you need to be out in the wet weather for would be Fire in the Rain. Even then if proper clothing is worn you may only get your hands wet.

3. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    @rsnurkle exactly. some survival schools or elsewhere they will be walking along and the leader will c all out "man in the creek" and they are supposed to get a fire going as fast as they can. You are allowed to have a fast acting kit on hand to do this such as cotton balls soaked in vaseline, lighter, firesteel, etc. idea is to do it very quickly.

4. Syntria

Syntria Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thank you! I totally understand now. I don't know why it wasn't clicking before.

OMRebel and rsnurkle like this.
  5. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    I already did a rush fire in the rain in a video recently. Wasn't easy lol. Getting a big warm fire going is hard if you are only relying on deadfall limbs in wet conditions.

OMRebel, NWPrimate and rsnurkle like this.
  6. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Glad my explanation helped. I have a low-key wish that we get at least one Hardwoodswoman by the time HW patch #20 is sent out, and figured I might have to make that happen myself. However, I'm delighted to hear there are other women aware of and chomping at the bit to complete these challenges. Definitely read and re-read the requirements,ask for clarification, and know that I'm looking forward to your entries!

7. OMRebel

OMRebel He who piddles Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    hmmmm...who will be the FIRST Hardwoodswoman? @rsnurkle or @Syntria ??

8. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Hardwoodsgirl, lady, woman #1. Though I'm fine with 'man' haha. I don't give a crap about genderized words.

9. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for this checklist @OMRebel , I'm fixin to start into this in this new year. Looks like a good set of challenges and some fun to be had. Lets cheer each other on!

10. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Them I'm sure. They are way ahead of me.

NevadaBlue and OMRebel like this.
  11. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Is the 2nd part not part of the Man in the Creek drill?
    upload_2018-1-8_15-11-44.png

12. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:

No it's not, it's a general rule for all the other challenges.

NWPrimate and wvtracker14 like this.
  13. wvtracker14

wvtracker14 Hardwoodsman #9 Supporter Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    @Pastor Chris posted the following in The Hardwoodsman Skills thread, I'm re-posting it here as well.

The Hardwoodsman challenges have evolved over time and the same is true about Iz's judging of them. He got very strict a bit before I went though and he gave me a No-Go on a challenge that he knew I had completed to standard, but the framing on my camera shot was just a little off and he couldn't see the tops of the flames. It was obvious they were more than high enough but his reasoning was that he didn't want anyone to be able to go back and pull a, "See so and so didn't (or did) so XYZ and you passed them!"

In a way, that is a little bit where we are right now. But . . . we have a Council of Hardwoodsmen who can confer and share their collective/historical knowledge and also who understand the ethos of the challenges in particular and as a whole.

I re-did the aforementioned challenge with a passing result and the benefit of another challenge completed and also with the lesson learned of making sure my camera was set properly!

SWF in the rain is a tough one on both sides of the equation and has probably been judged with varying degrees of detail. Here is what the Council has decided and offers as guidelines:

- The fire must be out in the open; a field or celling in the forest with no overhead cover
    - No use of fallen logs or rock or other geographical features to keep your prep dry
    - you may use bark, or make a teepee or other type of fire-lay type shelter for your prep form material found on site
    - you may use your rain jacket to cover your prep but then you must deal with being wet yourself. If this is simply uncomfortable fine, it could be dangerous though and that is not fine. No posthumous Hardwoosdman badges will be awarded!
    - Adding to the above, if it looks like you were wearing a rain jacket under the rain jacket you took off to cover your prep, you will be give a no-go, maybe several in a row.
    - I know some folks wear ponchos and that is great. Using a poncho during this challenge is taking an easy way out. No-Go.
    - If you tell us that you always carry a mylar blanket or trash bag in your pockets and try to use that, that will be a No-Go.
    - As Iz stated, if it chaps your backside that you are being used to make these challenges as difficult as possible, too bad. Someone can start a Soft-Woodsman badge if they like. This is HARDWOODSMAN!

I hope that all makes sense.

If you have questions, ask them before you go out. I know these challenges take a lot of time and commitment and we wasn't things to be clear before you start. It took me a year and a half of hard wood to get through, I know.

Also a reminder that these are not "in the yard" or "near the truck" challenges, to quote IZ.

14. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pithy.

(See what I did there?)

15. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    That is high quality punnage for sure!

Cedarfire, NWPrimate and wvtracker14 like this.
  16. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to @Pastor Chris and the HW Council for addressing these details to make it clear for folks attempting the challenges these days. I want to ask something that I think is related to the above rule.

I most often bushcraft on public land that only allows fires in park-established fire pits/etc., which are typically picnic areas by roads or at car camping spots (with parking spots for the car). I messaged Iz about this a while back and he said it was fine to use the established fire pits if local rules didn't allow otherwise, and didn't specify further details in that message.

What I want to check with the Council:
    1) Is lighting the fire prep in an established pit that is most likely "by the truck" acceptable for the Council?
    2) Is #1 ok, but only if I do all of the prep out in the woods (away from roads/trucks) and then walk/hike it to the established fire pit? (My guess is yes, but want to clarify)
    3) If #2 is true, is there anything I shouldn't do while transporting my prep to the designated fire pit? I usually put any fuelwood/kindling in a garbage bag or something similar to make it easy to carry when I am collecting wood for fire on outings, but can't decide whether that's no big deal for any SWF (*besides* SWF in the rain), or whether for these challenges I need to skip doing that entirely. Since most people are making ground fires on site and not transporting their prep anywhere, I couldn't get a sense for what should happen in the case of transportation.
    3b) (For the splitwood fire in the rain, any transportation would be by stuffing the prep under my rainjacket or carrying it between bark slabs, not using a garbage bag, since the spirit of the challenge is only protecting your prep with natural materials and your raingear.)

17. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    @rsnurkle

I would say that #1-3 are correct, just make sure that you have you breaking down your prep on film.

For 3b, I would transport the raw materials to the fire ring and then show your prep being made at the fire ring, in the open with no overhead cover in the rain. If you were to do the prep in one location and then light the fire in another that would be confusing and potentially problematic for the Council to judge.

For SWF in the rain it is really important that you do all of your prep in horrible conditions. Look at some of the recent videos for ideas. I used some sheet of poplar back to put the kindling under as I made it and leaned over the sticks I was using for shavings while making them and then put them in my jacket bit by bit to keep them dry before taking them all out too light them.

I made four attempts on SWF in the rain and 6 stitched in my hand from being carless with a wet knife before I got a go from IZ. You should be utterly miserable up until the triumphant point when you light your fire and get it rolling in the rain.

It involves being an expert at materials selection and at using the fire steel for lighting ONLY shavings, no scrapings or other accelerants like bark or fat wood. No blowing on the fires; orient yourself and the fire so natural breeze adds oxygen. All things have to be in place for this to work. It is an immensely satisfying moment when it does and the confidence boost at being able to do it is amazing.

rsnurkle, NWPrimate and wvtracker14 like this.
  18. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That right there is my whole hesitation in starting the hardwoodsman challenge. In order for not to be near truck or backyard I have to travel out of state. Lol maybe I will take a hardwoodsman vacation next summer and record a straight week of attempting the various stage 1 tasks.

rsnurkle and NWPrimate like this.
  19. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    No state parks with fire rings near you? I did much of mine at Hacklebarney State Park

"Near the truck" is up for interpretation based upon your area. We can work that out so you can start J

rsnurkle, NWPrimate and wvtracker14 like this.
  20. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    Pretty much just at the paid campsites all the rest have grills at the picnic areas.

wvtracker14, NWPrimate and rsnurkle like this.
  21. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    You should be able to use one of the paid campsites that has good resources around it at any time without cost or reservation, as long as it is vacant LOL. I have had a fire and lunch at a lot of those and even nice chats with the rangers if they come by. As long as you are not setting up camp and staying then it should not be an issue.

22. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    I don't mind paying for the use of the site even if I do not spend the night, my kids volunteer there and I can tell the park is underfunded but that they really try with what little they have. I just try to set up a list of tasks to complete when I do rent the site try to maximize my time and money. Knowing that I can complete various hardwoodsman challenges there will be a great help verses having to drive a couple of hours.

Looking at the list I can accomplish the man in the creek, fire chain possibly, split wood might be a little difficult finding enough down trees that are not huge logs, and solo overnight if a campground is acceptable. If the solo overnight in a campground is acceptable I will pick a site that does not have neighbors.

23. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for addressing 1-3 and for pointing this out. I had thought that staying away from the truck was the important part, but I can see how the location switch would make things more difficult for proper judging (or a longer video, if someone included even sped up footage of walking to the fire site).

Self-inflicted misery for eventual triumph and skill validation beyond the realm of the normal person--sounds like the heart of the Hardwoodsman challenges are in the Fire in the Rain challenge.

24. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Yes @MommaJ solo overnight does not have to be remote especially, but solo. No pets or people.

25. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    More questions for the Council.

For the man in the creek task:
    • Are lighters allowed as an ignition source? I think I've seen just ferro rods in the submissions and wanted to double check I was interpreting the description properly.
    • Is a small chunk of fatwood allowed (aka, the size that people would normally carry in their kits) for this challenge only, or is it still considered off limits for those testing their mettle as Hardwoodsmen?
    For the natural shelter task:
    • Are we allowed to use normal clothing items (for example a jacket, not something like a poncho) as part of the build, or would that count as a tool? I'm thinking about efficient ways to gather leaf debris. Carrying it with a jacket is one thing I thought of, but want to check if allowed.
    For the navigation task:
    • Would it be allowed to let a GPS "track" record on my phone, if I am not consulting the app for navigation? I tend to record tracks for learning purposes: I take notes in the field about where I think I went, and then back at home I load up the track and compare my perceptions with the reality. However, I can also do that on my own time if the council is worried that leaves open the possibility of violating the rules. My planned route has some on-trail time at either end, so I would turn it on at the car, when I'm far away from the off-trail navigation component, and then not touch the GPS app until I get back to the car. (I can access the camera feature without unlocking the phone.)

26. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    @rsnurkle
    • Are lighters allowed as an ignition source? I think I've seen just ferro rods in the submissions and wanted to double check I was interpreting the description properly.
    • Is a small chunk of fatwood allowed (aka, the size that people would normally carry in their kits) for this challenge only, or is it still considered off limits for those testing their mettle as Hardwoodsmen?
    I suppost a lighter would technically be ok but in my opinion it is cheesing out a little bit. I would prefer you pretend that your lighter doesn't work or it is too cold and use a ferro rod.

You have to become EXTREMELY adept at using a ferro rod for the rest of the challenges, so why not start now?

For the natural shelter task:
    • Are we allowed to use normal clothing items (for example a jacket, not something like a poncho) as part of the build, or would that count as a tool? I'm thinking about efficient ways to gather leaf debris. Carrying it with a jacket is one thing I thought of, but want to check if allowed.

Yes, you can use a sleeping mat and bag/blankets if you like.

• Would it be allowed to let a GPS "track" record on my phone, if I am not consulting the app for navigation? I tend to record tracks for learning purposes: I take notes in the field about where I think I went, and then back at home I load up the track and compare my perceptions with the reality. However, I can also do that on my own time if the council is worried that leaves open the possibility of violating the rules. My planned route has some on-trail time at either end, so I would turn it on at the car, when I'm far away from the off-trail navigation component, and then not touch the GPS app until I get back to the car. (I can access the camera feature without unlocking the phone.)
    You can make the track if you like as long as you do not use or refer to the device during the challenge, unless you are in an emergency/difficult situation of course. I would say that if you have to use an electronic device at any point during the challenge it is a no go, but to take one as a safety backup, or to record the route for your records, then by all means.

Hope that helps and please keep asking such excellent questions before you Strat challenges if you are unsure!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  27. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    Can I use an axe and/or saw for this challenge, or just the knife and ferro rod only?

rsnurkle, OMRebel, NWPrimate and 2 others like this.
  28. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Axe and saw are fine. It is about being out in a steady rain with no overhead cover and getting a sustainable fire. Shavings only for tinder, no scrapings.

rsnurkle, OMRebel, NWPrimate and 2 others like this.
  29. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the clarification. I almost had it done today, but the toads were drowning and my feather sticks got wet instantly. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get it done.

30. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    Question: Is it allowed to work under a tarp for the Splitwood Fire 3XP or Fire Chain or 1-hand, Weak Hand SWF tasks?

NWPrimate and wvtracker14 like this.
  31. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Will talk to the others but my first reaction is that it would be good to have a cover since most wood to do those chores if it is raining or bad weather.

NWPrimate, rsnurkle and wvtracker14 like this.
  32. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    If I decide to do a hand drill for the fire chain would a host spindle be acceptable, since I would not need the manufactured cordage?

Also, to clarify, I must bury the charred punk wood? Or is it ok to use other methods as long as I don't use a manufactured container?

Thank you for your time.

33. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    That all sounds good, great in fact! They keys are the elements of the chain and that everything for the friction fire must be gathered on site such as the host spindle. Im excited to see you moving on this and also excited to see how you go through this challenge especially.

34. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I want to try and do some different things, but just for the record we are only a couple weeks from being completely banned from fires so it might not be very regularly that I can do these for a while. The spring garden and yard work is caught up now, so I am going to give it a push until the red flag goes up.