The Knives I Actually Use

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Ronc, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have quite a few knives...a LOT of knives, actually! But over this past week, I decided to keep track of the knives I really use...not the stuff I think is neat, or catches my eye, but the knives I actually grab as I go out the door. The results surprised me.
    I have knives that I made, knives from old-time cutlery firms and new cutlery firms. I have fancy knives and plain knives (as do most of us!). However, the ones in the attached pic are the ones I have actually used the most this past week.. Thinking back on it, these are the ones I use almost all of the time. Nothing fancy, just good, solid working knives! Only one is a custom. It's a well-used Bryan Breeden Pathfinder model that I have modified the blade from a 4" humpback to a 3 5/8" drop point (works better for me this way). My chopper is a cut-down/modified Western W49 bowie, made into a parang/bolo. And there's my workhorse Vic Camper SAK and my Buck 112 Slim, and an old Mora carbon 510 that I used for carving tasks.
    What are your most-used blades?
    Ron

[​IMG]

Josh51, 8thsinner, aaronu and 27 others like this.
  2. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    It varies. Might be Teräväs, might be customs. These have seen quite some use lately.
    [​IMG]

3. Logan Woods

Logan Woods Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will be doing a little write up of a trip I did over the weekend. And in it I will mention that I packed my Esee 4hm that I love, my Esee 6 that I love, and ended up only using my mora 511 that I keep as a back up the entire trip. Of all the knives I have the 511 just finds its way on to my belt and in to my hand every single time. At this point I am not sure why I even have other fixed blades haha
    1CB6322C-C067-475D-B9DE-DA1CBDCAD453.jpeg

4. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    This folder while at work, and the one pictured with my screen name the rest of the time.
    1568657273848-1833213504.jpg

5. Derzis

Derzis Scout

Blog Posts:
    My SAK. Last use, second peg for my cell to take a picture.

Knife.jpg

6. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The two knives I use the most are hands down my two EDC work folders, a much-modified Benchmade large Ritter Grip and a Spyderco Endela:

IMG_20190916_153959.jpg

7. LogCabin

LogCabin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Almost embarrased to say, the Leatherman Wave on my belt.
    For Bushcraft, I have been using the knife and sheath I made.
    [​IMG]

8. plumberoy

plumberoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Work : benchmade mini griptillion
    SOG key knife on my keys
    Everywhere else : Sak Walker, Mora Eldris. , Mora Kansbol

9. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This would never work for me. I would have so much intentional bias it would severely skew my results. Plus I already know which I use most. That still wouldn't confirm to me which ones I needed, because there are a lot of things I need or use less frequently that are good to have or I just enjoy having for the sake of it.
    I know what youre getting at, or your point for doing it, but just get rid of ones you know just don't do it for you or fit your needs. Imo no need for a spreadsheet or whatever.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  10. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I need to replace my cold steel mini pendleton hunter. It would see plenty of carry time.

11. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Super Tinker at the bottom, my PH1 and a Griptilian.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    My most used bunch, I don't carry the fixed blade all the time but fairly often around home and hiking. I carry the hawksbill at least every workday. The two Case and the opi all day everyday. Don't hate me for the blades on the folders my pockets can be very moist in the summer to say the least and they have been with me for 10 years or so. 20190916_194712.jpg

13. PrimitivePotato

PrimitivePotato Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My main fixed blades:
    IMG_20190901_135415.jpg

14. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not trying to be contentious, Wasp, but what's your point? I was not asking for anyone to make a spreadsheet to categorize their cutlery. I was asking if others had favorites that they almost automatically go to when they head out. At 66, like you, I know what works for me and what doesn't. I have many other fine knives that see occasional use, and I enjoy, but are not "regulars" when it comes to use. My Grandson is already the recipient of many great knives due to this. He and my other grandchildren will receive many more great knives as time goes along!

Regards,
    Ron

15. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was just talking. I didn't think it would work for me because if I knew what knives I used depended soley on a sheet I made I would either intentionally or subconsciously carry and use several I like.

You said you decided to keep track, and you had results. ? I thought you meant you kept a list...and results tallied?

I was just saying what I would do if it was me, or moreover I don't think it would work for me to do, that is all.

I've gotten rid of most of my guns and knives, fairly unwillingly, but I kept what mattered most and what I found practical for me. But I already knew what they were.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  16. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wasp, you and I are on the same page! I'm in the process of "thinning the herd" myself, which is why my Grandson is the recipient of some cool things. Didn't keep any list, just noticed what I was grabbing to go do something...really an ad hoc kind of thing! I find the older I get, the less "things" I need, and, like you, I figured out a long time ago what works for me. The rest is just the accumulation of many decades of thinking I needed the next new "thing!" A fixed income will really cure a guy of that!

Regards,
    Ron

17. LogCabin

LogCabin Guide

Blog Posts:
    On the same page here.

BBizy, deckard313, freebirdfb and 2 others like this.
  18. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Milwaukee folder or a Kershaw Filter or filler or something ($13 from wally world) in my pocket and my ranger grip on my belt every day at work. The saw on the ranger grip works very well on ceiling tiles and drywall if anyone was wondering.

When not at work and not in the woods, I rotate my pocket knife basically daily. So can't narrow that one down much.

As far as bushcraft goes....everytime I get to go into the woods, I have 3 or 6 new knives I take to test and try out. For instance, on my next trip I have the following to test out;

Adventure Sworn
    Condor Swamp Rat and Huron
    Garberg stainless
    Buck Reaper

Haven't had one in my hands yet that just.... you know....gave me the 'this is THE knife' feeling. I have a bunch that I like and they work well doing bushcraft tasks (ESEE 4, BK 16 and 17, Mora Black, Buck 110, Plainsman Stag and several more), but......

19. Madwell

Madwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use my Benchmade crooked river the most by far. I know this is blasphemy but I have been pairing this with a hatchet and leaving my fixed blades at home lately. I just always reach for this knife when it’s time to cut something.
    D98E2218-67CB-4ABD-A0D2-59B021A9D01F.jpeg

20. holygoat

holygoat Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Somehow I always end up with my Garberg, or my Skrama and an Eldris. In the pocket a SwissChamp.

Back home, hundreds of dollars of knives up and down the spectrum, but those are the ones I trust most, carry best (I love the Morakniv plastic sheathes with the flexible leather belt loop), and work well.

Honestly, other than adding a bigger saw, I don’t really need much more for anything I do in the woods.

turntail, beestokk, BBizy and 5 others like this.
  21. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cant see why there should be any hate:) Worn blades have their own charm. That Opinel looks great BTW. Mine are the carbon steel versions as well.
    [​IMG]

22. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LNR LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Ronc
    I'm not going to count carving knives (I think that seems fair), as I think they are outside of what you're talking about.....
    So, yeah, I'm down to a few. It's really made me think about my knives.
    Oh, and I have too many. I'm not buying any more. Really. Sort of....

23. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg

Most used? Most often reached for? Mine is this uber cheap CS 18" machete. I tried out ( and liked) a LOT of machetes before I decided this was the best hand to haft ""feel".

image.jpeg

The CS is matched to the Izula 1 I got from KSF more than a decade ago. For pure utility this is the greatest design made in the past 40 years IMHO. I use other knives but this lil sharpie winds up on my daypack over and over...

24. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Can't really see it in the picture but mine get a little rust on them once in a while. Not from misuse or lack of care mind you, just from sweat.

Madwell and freebirdfb like this.
  25. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Its not rust, its patina:D(kidding). A speck here or there isnt a problem IMO. Just clean it and go on. Of course if its i problem, one can choose another steel. I like carbon steel though.

I forgot that this one was attached to a bag after a trip in the rain. It got some light surface rust on it but cleaned up nice. With a forced patina to protect the steel, it soldiers on
    [​IMG]

26. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I prefer carbon and can deal with the patina and occasional surface rust. Just didn't want anyone to think I just left them to rust away. I could go to another steel but than they wouldn't look as cool with age.

deckard313, freebirdfb and backlasher like this.
  27. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    That wasnt the impression I got either.
    I like various steels but carbon steels are high on the list of my favorite steels. A well used carbon steel knife does look good and has way more soul than some shiny stainless.

freebirdfb, deckard313 and Jetjr like this.
  28. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's what I'm talking about! Your "go-to" knife!
    Ron

29. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    B1A6C03A-FD7A-41B2-B67A-E5BBDCDB3AB3.jpeg A276882E-872C-46D7-BE6A-A66227216EA6.jpeg

My fiddleback forge recluse and my adventure sworn mountaineer have made it on the most trips with me so far. I like to spread around the usage though for fun with a lot of my knives. When I’m going on a longer trip it’s usually one of these two.

30. Northwest Axe

Northwest Axe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    MVIMG_20190917_112931.jpg These are my 4 most used. But the Benchmade Bushcrafter is the only knife I feel like I cannot live without.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  31. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In my pocket is either one of these or an opinel 6 stainless
    _20190918_173846-1024x494.JPG

If cutting firewood, I have the terävä 110 on my belt and if doing something else, there's a basic mora near by.

32. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    most carried: yellow delrin case barlow.
    most used at home lately (spoon carving, etc.): condor terrasaur 1095. it is proving to be a superb carver/bush knife, worth well beyond its cash value. temper is excellent. slick as butter on seasoned black cherry.

33. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  34. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    That Becker looks like it has gotten some good honest use.

freebirdfb and Northwest Axe like this.
  35. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    While I always CARRY a nice knife, I rarely NEED that nice knife when I'm outdoors exploring with the dogs, or around the home or town.

At work a LTWK Coyote (I think I bought from a BCUSA member) is in my toolbox, mostly used for lunchtime apple slicing, carrot peeling/chopping, and giant burrito halving.

However what I use the most often for cutting chores, because it's always in my shop apron pocket, is a little Craftsman screwdriver. It's always poking through packing tape, and being dragged across other parts packaging, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. A shameful admission, I know... :eek:

thumbnail_IMG_2413.jpg

36. plumberoy

plumberoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an assortment of around 60 knives. I would carry something for a day or two and go back to a SAK for a folder and a Mora for a fixed blade. And narrowing it down even more SAK Walker (bantam with a saw) and Mora Kansbol I will some times carry an Eldris on my belt if I have a pistol magazine in my pocket

freebirdfb, Madwell and deckard313 like this.
  37. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I could only have one fixed blade, I think it would have to be my Benchmade Bushcrafter. It's a good middle ground in almost every way.

I often really like to carry smaller, thinner fixed blades. However, if I could only own one, I'd go with something a little more sturdy and the Benchmade wins 10 times out of 10.

38. psybull

psybull Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have lots of knives that serve all kinds of functions depending on what I am up to for the particular outing.
    Most of the larger ones get carried in or on my pack and the mid size get carried on a dangler hip sheath sometimes with a tie down depending on size.
    The blade I carry the most is slim fixed blade neck knife like a GSO 3.5 or similar, slim carry handle but still just enough for a 4 finger hold. Handle down in a thicker kydex sheath with a break away neck strap. It's all about comfort for me as I already carry a huge Dunlop tire on my waist so the neck carry option is much more to my liking, lol.

freebirdfb, Ptpalpha and Madwell like this.
  39. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    B577D973-B203-471C-B5A0-61E3103E7E99.jpeg
    I’ve really been on a mission to use little and keep it that way. And even this is excessive. Alternate between trackers. Alternate between the light knives. Also it’s something of a “one to give, one to use” idea. These a basically my only users. The butcher would be given to a novice as oppose to the ring knife. TBT would be given over WSK. The dag sees quite a bit of kitchen use. The dag, butcher, and ring knife act as non-modern knives and are second hand. Knives that fit the 18th century-fight,eat,carve. Whereas the WSK's are naturally modern knives with modern material. I also like that I could carry all of them if need be, minus one tracker. Legging knives are a great way to carry more knives.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  40. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Jetjr: Now THOSE are some "usin' knives!" That's what I'm talking about!
    Ron

freebirdfb and Jetjr like this.
  41. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My most used are for woods trekking. The knife I use at work is a titanium handled Kaiser Gemini. Below are my Fiddleback Forge Duke, Fiddleback Forge Bushcrafter Jr., GEC Bullbuster, and a GEC Yankee Jack. And there are specific places I carry them so I don’t have to go looking for them if I need them quick. Duke on the belt, Bushcrafter, Jr. in the cargo pocket, Bullbuster in the outside right hand backpack pocket, and the Yankee Jack in the left hand pants pocket.
    0A0ADC63-22CC-497E-88ED-23C723B43A20.jpeg 94A26D90-60E5-4EEB-B4DC-E9B5FBF377D3.jpeg 1236091A-F786-491D-9065-4B9E4475AD7A.jpeg 3ACB9356-9347-43AD-800E-5E116ADA6DDD.jpeg

42. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks man, that poor hawksbill has had a rough life especially.

freebirdfb, beestokk and FreudianSlip like this.
  43. gm42

gm42 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Spyderco PM2
    Buck 110
    CS Luzon
    BK15

FreudianSlip and freebirdfb like this.
  44. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg
    While fly fishing in Southfork Colorado for the last week, I found a knife exactly like yours on the banks of the Headwaters of the Rio Grande. It had fish parts on it, so the person that lost it unlucky in losing the knife, but lucky in catching fish.

FreudianSlip and freebirdfb like this.
  45. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    It is a $5 knife that is easily replaced. Thus the reason I carry it while at work.

beestokk and Line Dawg like this.
  46. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    It sharpened up nicely. The pocket clip was missing one screw, so I removed it. I think I'll put it in one of my tool kits to skin wire or the like.

freebirdfb likes this.
  47. 8thsinner

8thsinner Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thats a lovely looking collection.

freebirdfb likes this.