The Long Hunt

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Bad_Neighbor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Bad_Neighbor

Bad_Neighbor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For years I’ve been fascinated by the long hunters of the 18th century. I’ve met people who do re-enactments. They dress in clothing from the period, and camp for a weekend in canvas tents. Some of you probably do this. I also live very close to Long Hunter State Park in Tennessee which is a pleasant hike.

Anyway, I’ve been flirting with this idea for a couple years now and I want to finally give it a try this winter. I’m talking about a modern long hunt. I’m a small game hunter/trapper. Every winter I hunt squirrels and rabbits with a .22, dove and crow with a pump shotgun, and trap opossums, skunks and raccoons. I hunt and trap Cheatham Wildlife Management Area west of Nashville, however this location wouldn’t be suitable for a long hunt because TWRA doesn’t allow camping there.

Cherokee National Forest seems like a great location. I heard you can camp pretty much anywhere. And because it’s a huge wilderness area I’m sure there’s tons of game. Picture this: Hit the trail with basic gear. Enough to carry on your back to set up a basic camp, and a weeks worth of dried food. Set traps and hunt for a week with the intention of bringing home hides and turning the meat into jerky over the campfire drying method.

As for traps, they’d have to be small so you can carry a lot of them, no cage traps. Also would have to be careful with cooked game and hides because it’s black bear country. What do y’all think of this idea? Anyone do this?

wannabee, JeffG, schapm and 9 others like this.
  2. Royal Wulff

Royal Wulff Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think it's a great idea. I wish I had time to do something like it.

central joe and MrFixIt like this.
  3. longcruise

longcruise Scout

Blog Posts:
    Never done it but it is fascinating. I too am intrigued by the "longhunters" in history.

Don't know what bears do in your neck of the woods, but around here they go to ground by end of October.

central joe likes this.
  4. Bryan King

Bryan King Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to do it in Deer Season in the Big South Fork National River & Rec. Area In Scott Co . Tn West of Oneida. Longest was 2 weeks, early 90s. just get backcountry camping permit.

1773 and central joe like this.
  5. oletymepreacher

oletymepreacher Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Do it. I usually spend the month of September in the woods, dress code is 1700's longhunter. Bring your own food and water. I use blackpowder flintlocks, no traps. Having fresh meat is a bonus. Since I go period correct, no photos.

jasam, 1773, Bryan King and 1 other person like this.
  6. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to a trip report. When I got out I was a mixture of long hunter, woodsman and a little modern stuff thrown it. joe

JeffG, longcruise and Bryan King like this.
  7. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a great time. Do it if you can. I've had fantasies about just getting dropped off somewhere and making my way through the woods to an area a hundred or so miles away. Then calling for a ride home. :)

Bryan King likes this.
  8. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    Man I’ve had the same idea. Disappear in the swamp for a week or so with a pack full of 110s, maybe a few double coils, and my .22. Maybe bring one of my hounds or curs too. I’m going to have to encourage you to do this if you can.

longcruise likes this.
  9. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a good time, the northern end of the Cherokee NF would offer lots of opportunities for this, or as Bryan mentioned the Big South Fork N.R.R.A. would also work. Coincidentally, Station Camp Creek in Big Souith Fork got its name because there was a long hunters station camp there. I think for traps I would go with 3 #3 double long springs and 6 #11 double long springs and an assortment of snares, that would cover most of the bases, I picked the double long springs just for the nostalgia factor, obviously double coil springs would be more compact to carry.

I hope you are able to do it and have a great time!

Bad_Neighbor and longcruise like this.
  10. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was unaware of large wilderness areas in Tennessee.

11. Bad_Neighbor

Bad_Neighbor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I didn’t even think of this so I did some research. Bear hunting season in Tennessee is from October to December. From what I’ve researched the bears in the smoky mountains hibernate from January to March. Trapping season is September to January. I’m glad you said something