The magic knife

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by ponchomatt, Jul 15, 2019.

1. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    22519246-8072-4B2D-9DF6-87A352D9E5AE.jpeg
    As a child growing up there were several knives I remember. From bucks to schrades and everything in between. While I usually carry a buck 112 compliments of a gracious member here, or my buck 110 there is one knife though that has stood out to me and was recently handed down to me. The case 6318 stockman. It’s nothing crazy or truly a show piece of a knife, but as a child and even up into my teens this knife was magic to me. My dad actually found the knife by chance while he was in a crawl space doing some work. I watched my father day in and day out use it effortlessly to complete just about any and every task you could think of. I remember sitting in the basement conversing with my dad while he used it to skin copper wire(he’s an electrician by trade). I remember him peeling apples with it for me, cutting fishing line, and even as a teen when I was in a tight spot and locked my keys in my car he actually drove out to my workplace at night when I got off and used the knife to unlock my car door with absolutely no damage to the knife or key cylinder. It was truly an amazing thing. In my eyes that knife can literally do everything. All of this has made me think to myself, what will my kids remember as being that magic knife. Will it be one of my bucks? Or possibly my mora classic or bolt knife I use around camp. Time may only tell. So here’s to great memories and a world passed by that no longer is. Thanks for reading and indulging in my short story and thoughts.
    Happy trails everyone

2. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For as much work as you have told us about, the blades are in great shape.

3. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    M Grandpa turns 92 next month. He has carried a stockman as long as I have known him.

4. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    The knife itself is a 1990 and was his work mule for a little over 20 years. He kept it sharp with a honing block that he would move the knife in a circular motion. So yes the blades really are in great shape for the use he put this thing through.a great testimony to case I’d say. If only this knife could talk.

5. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have my grandfathers Schatt and Morgan and my dads Schrade-Walden, they’re special.

6. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know what you mean about being special. I don’t carry the case for fear of it slipping out of my pocket somewhere somehow.

Finally got a real strop and ran the 112 across it by the way image.jpg
    Wicked good edge. Thanks again Jack

7. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That was a great story, thank you for sharing that.

beacon, JeffG, buckfynn and 3 others like this.
  8. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I passed down my grandfather's, my father's and my stockman to my son. I've given some hunting and fishing equipment to others but still have too much. In time, I'll give away some more. My children and grandchildren don't camp and I'd like to know what I have is being used and appreciated. When I have another GAW, I'll post it. I hope our stockman pattern knives will be kept and cherished.

P.S. I bought another stockman, a Boker carbon.

9. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been eyeing a boker Barlow myself

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  10. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @ponchomatt I've got several Bokers, both carbon and stainless and they're all good knives. I've got a locking sodbuster jr. that's as good fit and finish as I've seen anywhere. You won't go wrong.

11. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Real treasures are of the heart.

ponchomatt likes this.
  12. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    For me it was never a knife. To be honest I don't remember my dad carrying a knife regularly aside from a Victorinox Classic on his keys until TSA stole it. He did however know his way around woodworking tools and I was always impressed with his ability to repair or build what seemed like anything at the time.

I however have a Magic knife. My Victorinox Pioneer. I've carried it for most of my two sons childhoods. Its been used for everything from working on my car to preparing an entire dinner. And when presented with an option for a first knife my youngest son picked a Victorinox all on his own. They have Walkers which are handy in their own right.

ponchomatt and buckfynn like this.
  13. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I remember my dad's "Old Timer" in a similar way... he did almost everything with that knife... mostly I remember him sharpening his carpenter's pencils with it... sometimes he used a razor knife if he was in a hurry... but when he had the time, it was the Old Timer. He also used it to cut an apple in half to share, or slice parts off for me, or to peel an orange at lunch. Conversely, I never saw him abuse it... he had tools for 'that'... like scraping paint, or prying things, or driving screws, or whatever.

ponchomatt and buckfynn like this.