The Men Who Built America - Frontiersmen

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by El Duderino, Jan 24, 2018.

1. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I enjoyed it. Picked up on some of the things already mentioned as far as accuracy. I also noticed, as mentioned, that the actors had little dialog. I took it for what it was. The little dialog is a format I’ve seen History use before in this type of show, where the commentary is primarily by historians. I also notice that they use the same footage over multiple times. The mountains outside of Ft. Detroit were also a surprise to me.

I bring this all up not as a hard criticism, just that “it is what it is.” I enjoyed it and look forward to the other episodes. May even rewatch the first one later this evening on demand.

LongAgoLEO likes this.
  2. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Rinella is an author, has a hunting/food tv show (MeatEater), has a great podcast (MeatEater) and is a major friend to conservation. Check him out, I’m a fan of his work.

Mitch Ray, JasonJ, XMP and 1 other person like this.
  4. billdawg

billdawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    The first I heard of Steve Rinella was when he had a sow on the travel channel of all things called something Wild. Sowed him going into different places and hunting. He has written several books (the one about bison is top notch).
    The Daniel Boone show I found interesting, because apparently, I didn't know as much about him as I thought. For some reason, I had never thought of him that early. I always placed him in the 1820's(probably because of Davy Crocket) I look forward to the Kit Carson episode. The mountain men and fur catchers I have always thought were maybe the most instrumental in opening up America's frontiers.

5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now one of you record this and stick it on YouTube for those of us that don't own a tv... :D

6. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    Just watched episode 2. Not enjoying this season as much as I did the first one. The battle scenes feel way too drawn out... soooo muuuuch sloooow mooootion.

Not entirely unwatchable, just not what I was expecting it to be.

El Duderino likes this.
  7. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    too bad the actual history is only vaguely accurate.........................

RickWA likes this.
  8. RickWA

Blog Posts:

Yeah, like going with the conclusion that Lewis committed suicide without mentioning that there was some controversy and suspicion about that.

And I don't know if it's because others criticized the props and settings in the first episode or not, but I found myself noticing how things seemed a bit simple and minimalist... from a production perspective, that is.

9. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    also the inaccuracies tend to have a decidedly left towards liberal bent.....................................................

RickWA likes this.
  10. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just caught the Louis and Clarke episode! Canadian history class in school. The Louisiana purchase is a footnote. The war of 1812 forward is covered. But the events leading to it were totally unknown to me nor any detail on Louis and Clarke themselves. Beyond names of great American explorers! Holy cow! Those fellas had grit! Just imagine seeing the Rockies for the first time. Knowing you have to find a way to cross them. :dblthumb:

11. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    I must dissent. A series that eliminates the contributions of half the white population ( women) nothing of the free and slave black and glorifying two who stole the five civilized tribe's lands for personal profit and let them walk on a death march and the Dine' people to a military scorched earth policy?
    I've met Ol' Leonardo and when he's not pontificating on saving the environment he's on one of the largest private yachts in the world with a rotating herd of girlfriends and being an utter thug to mere mortals. Friends of mine rescued a dog that turned out to belong to his then Israeli GF. They weren't even aware of a substantial reward he posted. They were told of it, returned the dog only to be met by police who questioned them after Leo suggested they stole the animal; no thanks, no reward. I was supposed to meet a environmental celebrity I enabled with material supplies. She showed up, Leo showed and dominated the event. I tried to approach her as scheduled and had two overgrown bodyguards pull guns on me as pretty boy smirked leading her away.
    I'll pass.

12. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    I watched the program on Boone, but don't recall any mention that he was one of the survivors of the Battle of the Monongahela on July 9, 1755 , which occurred when the Braddock campaign failed in their attempt to capture the French Fort Duquesne (now Pittsburgh) in the summer of 1755 during the French and Indian War.
    Seem to recall that Boone was a very young wagon driver hired for that campaign.

13. Fly Rodder

Fly Rodder Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    heavy on pretty pictures, light on information and detail.

14. RobbieinME

RobbieinME Scout

Blog Posts:
    What it should do is make you want to know more! At least thats how I look at it. Birchbark canoe in Ken tuck ee ,aliens I guess.

15. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tried watching it
    Couldnt stand the production and writing
    No interest in watching it further
    Good concept lousy execution

El Duderino likes this.
  16. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The statements above sum it up for me

I was expecting a history lesson and got poor entertainment and selective/created facts

Terasec likes this.
  17. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been pretty disappointed in the episodes so far. That being said, it's probably no worse than a lot of the other garbage that is available on television lately.

Terasec likes this.
  18. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    Just finished it up. Not bad, over all. I enjoy history, but I'm not an aficionado by any means (I just don't have the memory capacity to be conversational about the subject). So I took this as mostly entertainment and looked at the historical aspect of it with a grain of salt.

Interestingly, earlier today I watched the episode of How the Wild West Was Won with Ray Mears that talked about the California gold rush. Consequently, I was surprised to learn, from Frontiersmen, that Kit Carson was the one who delivered the message about the discovery of gold back east.

El Duderino likes this.
  19. billdawg

billdawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I caught that too

20. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty good at putting aside the little annoying details, so over all I was able to enjoy it. I had a hard time with Kit Carson rapid firing his semi-auto flintlock though. He must have had some Magpuls in his Possibles Bag.

HP500 and RickWA like this.
  21. HP500

HP500 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I noticed that too. It's like watching TV or movies where 6 shot revolvers hold 30 or 40 rounds;)

XMP, RickWA and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  22. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well said! I thought the exact same thing. I really thought the series would focus more on the life/survival aspect of these people and not delve so much into the backstory. Guess I was hoping for more of a bio on each explorer's life and less of an entire history lesson of the period.

I watched 3 of the 4 episodes. History did such a good job with previous similar shows - like the original Men Who Built America and The Making of the Mob. These previous shows were also only an hour per episode, which for me, is much more manageable. Sadly, this new series didn't get me excited for the next episode.

RickWA likes this.
  23. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I did enjoy it. Agree that much was left out, and some was embellished.

It did peak my interest in Kit Carson. Of all the stories told I find his the most incredible and makes me want to learn more about him.

Prairiewolf and El Duderino like this.
  24. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just read this book last month. Pretty good intro into Carson and Fremont.

RickWA and crewhead05 like this.
  25. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Glad they are keeping it real. I saw a couple point blankets so all is well.

26. Tom Black

Tom Black Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As an 18th century re-enactor, I got about 5 minutes into the first episode and turned it off. To say it was poorly made with little research into actual history is an understatement.
    Tom Black