The "New Place" - Beginnings of a MO Homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Dadio, May 6, 2016.

1. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The problems with Photobucket have me questioning whether or not I want to continue this thread or the original "The Place" thread. Going back and fixing the dozens and dozens of photos seems like a daunting task and viewing has dwindled.

A quick update: There's not a lot to update! I've broken my little Husqvarna lawn tractor twice in the last month, having no fun repairing it. It put me off the idea of a cheap starter tractor from the 50's or 60's because my time is limited and I'd rather spend it doing things with a tractor rather than doing things to fix a tractor. I'm taking a trip to the Kubota dealer to see what they have. I may look at other brands as well but my gut so far is telling me to go orange and I probably will. Even though there's over 45 acres here and over 40 acres at the other place the actual acreage I will maintain with it would be more like 5-10. I plan on taking Hunter63's advice and go a bit bigger than I absolutely need to, so a utility sized tractor rather than compact or subcompact. We'll see where my ambition and pocketbook line up.

Garden is going well. I've got the fight with Japanese beetles like everyone else it seems. Found a nice apple tree and what look like two other old fruit trees, one of which is being ravaged by the beetles and one with a good crop of smaller apples. Next year we will prune and spray them and see what we really have.

So, not sure what the future holds for the threads. I might just combine them both into something else, we'll see. Thanks for reading!

TX-1948, Guy and hunter63 like this.
  2. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    The photo bucket thing is going to mess up a lot of people.......
    Still debating if I gonna go all in not...
    To bad the forum doesn't have an easy way for use old times that are not rell computer literate to ppsy directly.

TX-1948 and Dadio like this.
  3. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You can definitely post directly, as in uploading into the post. Right below the window you type a response in, there is a button labeld "Upload a File," to the right of the "Post Reply" button.

TX-1948 and hunter63 like this.
  4. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    $_58.JPG

Cool thanks! $_58.JPG

TX-1948 and Guy like this.
  5. TX-1948

TX-1948 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have enjoyed following both threads, and hope you will continue sharing your progress.
    The Photobucket issue has obviously caused an issue with lots of threads....when I see a post with the "pay us some money or you can't see your photos" message, it just causes me to think "never use Photobucket....YMMV

skipperntn, Guy and Dadio like this.
  6. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Some updates: we have a contract for the earlier The Place property which will clear up enough funds for a construction loan to build a home on the New Place. That's very exciting. The lesson learned from this is to not let yourself get talked into A lengthy contract with a realtor. The first one we had basically just told prospective buyers where it was and let them to it. The new realtor actually went out and sold the place and got a contract in three weeks. So, not yet closed but it looks good.

We did get a new tractor. Went with a Kubota L series with loader, bush hog and box blade. Only had it about a week but really like it. IMG_20170810_111400_399.jpg IMG_20170806_141139.jpg

Also met with the architect about the new house. That was actually a lot of fun, describing what you've thought about how you want to live, what is important to you, what you like and not. Feels like we are making real progress.

I'll probably stop posting here and either find a "what did you do on your homestead today" thread or start one up. Thanks for following us along on this adventure!

mjh, TX-1948, Guy and 1 other person like this.
  7. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    Congrats....Looks like good process is well under way......
    Hopefully you will keep posting your progress.

Congrats on the tractor....NICE.

You are going yo find soooo many thing to use that tractor for....you will wonder why the heck didn't do this before.

Dadio and TX-1948 like this.
  8. TX-1948

TX-1948 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the update. I have really enjoyed following your progress on both "Places".....
    @hunter63 is absolutely right....you will really enjoy your tractor....

Dadio and hunter63 like this.
  9. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    F0B89154-433F-40FC-B959-2FCD7DCBEDB9.jpeg Well, it’s been a couple years since we updated this thread. We spent the time making small improvements here and there but today was a big day. We broke ground on our new home! I’ll likely bore you with home construction photos but if you are into that, then enjoy!