The Ongoing Mini Trip Report Thread 2019

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by bacpacjac, Jan 14, 2019.

1. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Yesterday was the last Monday of the Oshawa Young Rouhghians' Summer Vacation. Mondays are usually a challenging reprogramming day for us, but yesterday was awesome!! Abby, Charlotte, Dylan and I set off for a day of fun in a little spot we used to frequent when the girls where still wee ones.

They each brought a hammock, and my first task was to get them all hung. I've decided to even though they are bulky and heavy, I really like the tree straps that came with my Honest Outfitters hammock. I think I'm going to pick-up one set for dual & triple hammock days. It sure makes adjusting the "higher", as Abby calls it, easier. I also figured out that I love NiteEyes S-Biners for this purpose. Each of the girls had one in their hammock kits and they sure made hanging easier.

P8260700.JPG P8260726.JPG

Much hammock playing and tree climbing ensued. A wicked fun game of hide n' seek broke-out as well. :D

P8260703.JPG

P8260756.JPG

I made them chicken noodle soup using my 1.6L Seagull pot and BCB pocket stove. This time I used UST Fire Cubes and determined that I really like them. They're awesome, except if you accidentally pour chicken noodle soup over it. DOH!!

P8260772.JPG
    P8260778.JPG

The kids ate all the soup that I didn't spill, so I was glad that I thought to bring something for myself to eat. I heated up some curried chickpeas in my Crusader cup using the rest of the second UST cube. I had MRE tortillas to go with it. They were really crumbly so didn't make a very good substitute for a spoon but they sure tasted good.

P8260809.JPG

The kiddos had such a great time that they didn't want to go home. They were so serious, in fact, that they almost let me have a nap. ;)

P8260816.JPG

Once again, we did not go home empty handed. Everyone found some sticks, rocks and bottle caps. Not to be outdone, Dylan dragged this pitchy piece of Pine all the way home. ;)

P8260872.JPG

Thanks for joining us!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Oni, Jonah L. Archer, schapm and 12 others like this.
  2. bacpacjac

Honestly, Cousin @DavidJAFO, it's my pleasure. Thank you, so much, for all your kind comments. I'm blessed to have the job I do. It's with mixed emotions that I look forward to the end of Summer Vacation. :)

3. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac ^^^^ & a GREAT JOB you are doing. :dblthumb:
    Regards
    David

4. bacpacjac

5. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Just up Bogus Basin, I think it's an old logging road. Called Ponderosa Pine Overlook.

6. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

I've been getting out a fair bit, but I have not really had the urge to take any pics. Recently I made friends with an old man in his 80's, nearly twice my age. He is in decent shape he can fish from a boat and will be getting a permit to hunt from a vehicle. I need to help him in and out of the boat because he has one bad leg, but after that, he is quite the fisherman. I think it is the best friend I've had in a while. Anyway, we got out fishing for walleye and caught out limit. While out on the water he told me of a few really great places to get brookies and blueberries, he is physically unable to get out to do those activities anymore. I ended up getting my very first trout right where he said I would.

I know it's not that big but it was my first one ever and it was getting eaten. I think this was probably one of the happiest, non-family related moments of my life. I have been trying to catch trout for most of my life. I guess you just need to know where they are. He swore me to secrecy, which is fine by me.

IMG_1121.JPG

He also told me where to get blueberries. My wife and I found so many of them it was almost overwhelming, it seemed as there were endless amounts in the area he told us about. We went out a few times, and this is one of our hauls. From talking to my co-workers this has been a great year for blueberries, and our haul pales in comparison to that of others. I think there are about 12 litres of berries. It took quite a while to clean them all.

IMG_E1138.JPG

As brook trout closes Labour Day I decided I needed to get out one last time, I really have the trout fever now and don't really want to fish for anything else. I went to another spot where he told me that I was guaranteed to catch as many brookies as I wanted and if I was willing to travel upstream I could catch some really decent sized ones. I was lazy and just fished from shore. Well he was right I used a worm and a hook, and for a while every cast there was a brook trout. In all, I caught about 20 trout but I kept 5. They were not large but the 5 of them made a nice supper for 2. Now, I could not just eat these without the man who told me where to get them. So I gave him a call and we had a nice meal of the 5 trout that I bought back. As a bonus, the old guy also has lots of blueberries to put on his cereal. I think that he knew if he told me where to get blueberries and trout I would bring him his fair share. After all, this is some of the best times I have had in a long time because of him.

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_E1142.JPG

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  7. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Congratulations on catching your first brookies. Sounds like you found yourself a grand old friend, way to pay him back for the wonderful knowledge he has passed on to you.

8. Paul Caruso

Thank you. I have gone crazy for trout, almost as much as I am for grouse. The old man's turned out to be a great friend. My wife even made him a lasagna and he made an old-style wooden cradle for my daughter's dolls. He's very well versed in the bush, that is in this area, and knowing that I can bring him wild game and berries makes it all more enjoyable when I'm out.

9. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Sunday Creek Crawl

This past Sunday the wife and both kids were busy doing other things and it was a good time for me to go hit up my "spot" for my August entry in the 2019 Trip Report Challenge thread. Each time I go out there I like to hit up a fishing hole or two but man, this time of year, it's HOT! 100° on the nose that day. I like the heat, but this is the sort of heat that just drives you inside. Still, if I'm going out there, I'm doing some fishing.

Just as I'm about to head out, though, the wife shows up back home with the younger daughter. She asks said younger daughter if she'd like to go with me. The next thing I know, I had company. That's okay, I've taken her with me before and I want my kids to enjoy the woods, but at the same time I hadn't been expecting it and sometimes fishing time is best done in solitude.

But either way, the path is set. Instead of getting her all up in hiking boots we just put her in water shoes, as I am also wearing. Get her hat. Get the walking stick I made for her last fall. And off we go.

First we hike out to my "spot" and I get my August pics. The main path has a creek crossing just a little bit upstream from my spot, I leave her there while I bushwack 30' to where I have to stand to take my spot pics. She, holding up her dress, decides to walk in the creek at the crossing to have some fun getting her feet wet...

20190825_132409.jpg

But after that, it's fishing time. We hike to the closer of two holes...

20190825_132634.jpg

And I fish while she plays around on the bank. Now you can see, the water is murky and has plenty of algae, not very attractive. But that has never been a barrier to me catching fish there - it's better when the water is clearer but there's sunfish, bass, and catfish (along with snapping turtles) in that water. But today, nothing. I've got two poles with different rigs and a tenkara fly rod and I can't get a single bit of interest. We move on to the other hole and, same thing. It's just too hot, fish aren't biting.

At this point I give the younger daughter the option to go home or go back to where my "spot" is and play in the creek some more. She goes for the play in the creek option. So, we hike back down and wade out deeper where she had dabbled earlier; I tied her dress up to free her hands. It's a slow moving section of the creek of medium width, crystal clear except for where our foot steps are stirring up mud. She's big into collecting rocks and so she wades around pulling her selections out of the water and making a pile.

20190825_142246.jpg

A quick selfie as I stand in the middle of the creek...

20190825_142259.jpg

Creek shot, going back upstream...

20190825_142434.jpg

We then decide to move on to another section. After she first puts her rocks back where she found them, we leave the creek and enter a field in the middle of the woods and hike downstream for a while.

20190825_142712.jpg

Then we cut back over and get back into the creek. It's much narrower here and moves a little better. Water is still crystal clear. And it's cold. Like a cold beer from the fridge. I don't know how it can be that cold after 100°+ weather for weeks on end but I'm not complaining, it's a very refreshing heat sink as we wade through it.

20190825_143135.jpg

20190825_143137.jpg

It continues to get narrower and a little deeper, but up ahead, we can see the hint of a little sparkle. What is it?

20190825_143345.jpg

We continue on and find ourselves a pretty little waterfall. I did take a couple nice pics of the fall by itself but I only have space for one more pic in this post and I choose the one with the younger daughter posing in front of it.

20190825_143652.jpg

After that we abandoned the creek and called it a day. But it was a great time - I've been thinking about creek crawling that thing for some time now but haven't done it yet. It was the unexpected companionship of my younger daughter that made it happen; otherwise I would have tried fishing then gone home. I have to thank her for that. And now, the older daughter, who's been more reluctant to join me on day hikes like this lately, saw the pics and is jealous, wants to do it, too. There's some other sections still to explore so I think we've got some plans for the future...

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    SLaRoy, Beach Hiker, Oni and 18 others like this.
  10. bacpacjac

I can't tell you have much I love this trip report, @kronin323. Most awesome!! Thanks for the huge smiles this morning!

11. bacpacjac

WOW! I am officially jealous!! Nice hauls!! Congratulations on your first Trout! That's awesome!!

12. Paul Caruso

No need to be jealous just come join us up north. My 6-year-old daughter would get along famously with those wonderful girls that you take out all the time, and she knows the fishing and berry spots too.

13. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

@Paul Caruso thank you for sharing the story about your new friend and congratulations on the fish!

@kronin323 your daughter is adorable! Thank you for sharing!

14. bacpacjac

Rather than get cooped up all day on rainy Tuesday, the Young Roughian Adventure Kiddos and I went for a little walk. Everyone brought their backpacks, which included a rain jacket or poncho, but the rain never got hard enough while we were out for us to need them. We watched a movie earlier in the day about two kids who were in a plane crash in the remote wilderness, so was we walked, we talked about what we'd do if something like that happened to us.

Our first stop was "The Fire Tree", which has started to change colour.

P8270942.JPG

We're trying to figure out what kind of Maple tree this is, so everyone took a leaf home to add to their journals. This leaf gave them a great idea: it lead to us talking about how we could collect water from nature in a survival situation.
    P8270943.JPG

The water collection ideas kept coming. We noticed all the leaves that were holding rain water, including on the ground. They couldn't resist trying. ;)
    P8270940.JPG

We talked about drinking the water out of this puddle, but decided to skip actually doing it. I showed them how they could use the bandanas in their packs to soak up water and also help to filter it. The straws in their water bottles come in handy for this too. ;)
    P8270947.JPG

They were pretty happy to stomp in every puddle they saw.
    P8270953.JPG

It's cool when light bulbs start going off in kid's heads. It didn't take long for them to realize that leaves can make little cups.
    P8270949.JPG

Bigger is definitely better!
    P8270963.JPG

We were mostly just having fun, but we did do a little more plant ID along the way. Abby spotted this little mushroom and shouted it's called a "Saddle Mushroom!" Good job! I think it's a baby Dryad's Saddle/Pheasant Back Mushroom. We know they're edible but we don't mess with wild mushrooms, we just take pictures. ;) Thanks for joining us!
    P8270965.JPG

15. bacpacjac

How totally awesome would that be!!! As soon as I've got my car back, I may take you up on that! :)

16. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

I forgot to post this trip earlier. 2 weeks ago I got a new tent and weekend before last I did a 2 night 2 day backpacking trip to try it out.
    I arrived at the trail head late Friday afternoon to light rain but the rain stoped about 4 miles down the trail and didn't rain anymore the rest of the weekend. Temps where ungodly hot and humid. (Oh joy)
    New tent in action. image.jpg Dinner one night. image.jpg Still have wild flowers even tho it's been so dry here. image.jpg Trail burritos for lunch both days. image.jpg One more pic of my new tent.
    The six moon designs lunar solo.
    Super sexy !
    It very light 31 ounces and packs down small.

I'm headed down to the buffalo national river Labor Day weekend with brother Doug for 4 days for a high mileage weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. image.jpg Thanks for looking.

SLaRoy, merlinfire, Oni and 20 others like this.
  17. MrFixIt

Nice, I'm really digging that tent Bob!

18. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Thank you JD. I'm love'n it so far but I haven't had it out in bad weather yet. There calling for rain this weekend tho.

19. MrFixIt

Ooh, the REAL test!

20. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

So much coolness in that trip report. :) hanks for sharing. You have a beautiful family there. Looks like a great day was had. Pretty interesting about the stream temp. Do you think it felt cooler than it might have been because the air was so hot?

21. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Isn't it great to spend time in a new tent? Really like that one. :)

22. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

No, later in the day we were in a swimming pool and the water wasn't half as cold. The creek was colder than tapwater is right now, too.

I suspect that general area of the creek is being fed by natural groundwater discharge. Coming from underground like that would explain the colder than expected temps, I think.

23. Bubbles

Bubbles BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Got out yesterday morning to do my first and last trail cam check before hunting season. After that I knocked out my last splitwood fire for my intermediate bushclass. Just one more outing and I will have finished all the intermediate requirements!
    I do a small-time ontario podcast for beginner outdoorsmen/hunters in Ontario, and we recently had a conversation with a Chef who is starting a website aimed at easy, quick camping recipes. The website is MONTyBOCA. I gave his Jamaican jerk Chicken with Mango Rice and Beans a try for lunch, it was quite delicious. Anybody looking into some new camping recipes, would recommend checking his website out.
    7am arrival
    [​IMG]
    Still there and Still working! Always happy when i find that. :)
    [​IMG]
    3x Prep for my splitwood fire- I love how cedar splits!!
    [​IMG]

The makings of my Jerk Venison and Mango rice and beans:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Paul Caruso

Today my wife is not feeling good and kicked my daughter and I out for the day; that could only mean one thing, trout fishing!

I went back to the secret spot at the creek. Our walk started along the shore.
    Creek 1.jpg

As we got closer to the hole the water started moving a bit faster

creek.jpg

Skirt along the side and we're almost there

Creek 2.jpg

Nice, we're at the hole. I'm told up around that bend, on the right, and upstream there are some pretty decent sized trout hanging around a small bar or island. That will have to wait till Monday, the last day of trout season when I will hopefully bring my canoe and find out for myself.

Trout Hole.jpg

Here's my daughter, she did not feel like fishing after the first few casts but had a blast with the trout that I caught. We can't wait to get home and have supper.
    Trout Stick.jpg

My dinner guests are properly dressed up for supper, and what a supper it was.

Dressed Trout.jpg

gdwigg, SLaRoy, Guy and 14 others like this.
  25. matjbrown

matjbrown @matjbrown on Instagram Supporter Bushcraft Friend

A quick fire and some fresh bread.

IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG

SLaRoy, RavenLoon, Bobsdock and 13 others like this.
  26. bacpacjac

Would you consider sharing your bread recipe? I've recently started making bread at home and want to learn more. I'm going to try it on the trail soon. :)

27. bacpacjac

What a fantastic way to let your wife rest. :D :D :D

28. bacpacjac

Hopefully you're loving the rain, Bob! That tent looks sweet!

29. DavidJAFO

hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac ^^^^ link image 5 (at a glance) @Paul Caruso daughter kind of resembles Adventure Girl Bella. :)
    Regards
    David

30. bacpacjac

Thursday was the last day that the four oldest Young Roughian Adventure Kiddos would be together, so we went on a big adventure. We made the trek to Charlotte's new school and then went to play at creek across the street. We had so much fun that we were almost late getting home.

This spot was amazing. We've had many picnics there, but we haven't been there this year. It was amazing. We were totally secluded and there wasn't one - NOT ONE - single piece of garbage. AMAZING! The kiddos had a blast looking for rocks, fish and crayfish. They threw rocks and sticks and ran back and forth to the play park that's within earshot of our little day camp.

P8291115.JPG

Using Goldfish crackers as fishing bait is a new one for me. It didn't work, but there wasn't one - NOT ONE - single live fish to be seen. LOL!

P8291165.JPG

Testing rocks to see if they were sparky provided lots of entertainment too. Their fire kit, kept in this awesome pouch made by @HannahT, has lived in my pack for such impromptu practice. :)

P8291139.JPG

We used both Amber, our @Red Yeti fire snake gifted to all Young Roughains by @BradGad, and my @Aion Innovation titaniumstriker to smack stones. :)

P8291185.JPG

Soon, they had eaten their (First) Lunch and I was starving. I used my BushClass PSK to make meatless Chicken & Dumplings. In addition to FAK, my MP knife and Crusader kit, I also brought my PSK, dumpling mx (instant Bisquick with extra flour), pocket seasoning kit, an extra bandana, and a little bit of beef jerky. I borrowed Abby's Nalgene because it was already out and I wanted the straw she uses to drink without spilling.

P8291225.JPG

I've been testing different components for my PSK, a la the MOA SURVIVIAL KIT A GO GO! thread. Today it was fire. I used my LM Wave to strike my Bushclass ferro rod to light a TinderQuick, which I used to light a UST Fire Cube. I recently starting using the UST cubes and a I really like them. That TinderQuick was amazing, despite being years old and opened. :)

P8291228.JPG

My emergency Esbit stove is still going strong. It's been folded and unfolded a dozen or more times now and it's not showing signs of failing yet. I'm going to replace it soon, just in case. I hate dumped pots! The HD foil I keep in my PSK makes and excellent windscreen, BTW. I only unfolded it one way this time to trap some of the stove heat, but would have made a bigger screen if the wind had kicked up.

P8291240.JPG

As the pot of water and a chicken bullion cube heated up, I got to the messy part. I made the dumpling dough by adding some water to the ziplock bag of mix, and then stirring with Abby's straw. It wasn't pretty but it worked. I was glad that I brought a second ziplock bag and reserved some of the mix, because I added too much water the first time. ;)

P8291235.JPG

Once the water was simmering, I called the other kids over to help make the dumplings. (Abby was already playing Camerawoman.) To be continued...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    SLaRoy, RavenLoon, Bobsdock and 13 others like this.
  31. bacpacjac

All the Young Roughians made their own dumplings, two each and two for me because that's all that would fit in the pot.

You may have noticed Abby's wardrobe change. She fell the creek and got a little chilly, so she put on my wind shirt. It's that time of year again when we need to add an emergency change of clothes to our kits. YAY!

P8291270.JPG
    P8291271.JPG

It's just like making play dough balls but with yummy dough instead. Even a newly minted five year old can do it!

P8291272.JPG P8291273.JPG P8291277.JPG

Once the dumplings were cooking, they all went off exploring again and left me to watch the pot. Which might not have been the best plan. I over filled the pot and it spilled on the stove. The UST tablet went out but it easily took a flame from my PSK BIC and I was cooking again. PHEW! I really like this stuff!

P8291285.JPG

The dumplings turned out great. All the kids loved them. I only got one, though, because I dropped mine on the ground. :( Let's call it an offering to the Dumplings Gods. ;)

P8291298.JPG

A little S&P from my spice tin was a welcome touch. ;)

P8291232.JPG P8291303.JPG

After second lunch, they went off exploring again while I packed up. Too soon, we were hiking home. It was Bella's last Summer adventure with me and I think it's one she'll long remember. Thanks for joining us!!

P8291204.JPG

32. DavidJAFO

hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac I'm crying already :17: boo hoo the Adventure kiddos are going back to school & what a summer adventure you guys have had. Always remember (dropping your dumpling) the 5 second rule, then repeat "gods hand before the devils" & it's good to go, it's clean dirt. :4: Thank You again for sharing your AWESOME summer adventures with the forum. :dblthumb:#happydays
    Regards
    David

33. MrFixIt

Jacqui, I’m saddened to hear this as well.
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the adventures you shared. I feel like I was there in spirit with y’all!

34. bacpacjac

Young Roughian Adventure Kiddos Abby and Dylan and I had the day to ourselves on Friday, our last one together this Summer. We decided to make go on a big adventure. We hiked to the creek on the other side of town, and found a good place to hang a hammock for the day.

Our walk was full of Young Roughain bushcraft. We used my Bacho Laplander to make a couple of walking sticks, cut a bunch of Y-branches to make slingshots, make a bat and ball to play bushball, cut an old stump into a stool, and they also improvised this chair on the trail.

P8301407.JPG

It was a special day, so we had subs for lunch. They ate theirs in the hammock and I sat on a rock.

P8301452.JPG P8301514.JPG

Dylan had his first ever nature poop (no pictures of that) and then they had fresh fruit and veggies for dessert. Thank goodness I was prepared. ;)

P8301549.JPG

When they abandoned the hammock, I claimed it for a little while. ;)

P8301502.JPG

Once I was finished my lunch, we tried to make an actual chair out of my GI poncho, some of the cordage from my PSK and some fallen trees. We made an easy tripod, by interlocking all the Ys on the branches and then lashed them together with paracord I keep in my PSK. Unfortunately, the branch we chose for the bottom of our chair was too rotten and it broke when the kids tried to sit in it. :(

P8301567.JPG

These little 6 -8 ft lengths of cordage are so useful! They're too big to go into my PSK for my BushClass over-nighter, so I'm working on alternative forms of cordage.

P8301566.JPG

Oh well! That fail meant a chance to try something else. I grabbed the SOL Heatsheets blanket from my PSK and we improvised a little shelter to protect our gear in case it rained.

P8301572.JPG

I showed them how to make buttons using some rope and the nickles I keep in the package. We made some using pebbles too. ;)

P8301575.JPG

It wasn't pretty but it worked well enough for our needs on this day. I quickly realized that I want a bigger tarp/blanket in my PSK, even though I've got an SOL poncho in there too. I'm going to upgrade to the 2-person version this week.

P8301587.JPG

SLaRoy, RavenLoon, Bobsdock and 11 others like this.
  35. bacpacjac

I'm sad that the Summer is over too. Here's a few more pictures from that last adventure with Abby and Dylan.

We smashed rocks to find sparky rocks and geodes, and for our primitive tools project.
    P8301525.JPG

We found a cool fossil.
    P8301507.JPG

We smashed tree branches to "cut" them to length for our tripod and a sling staff for @MAD Punty's GAW.
    P8301551.JPG

We made sling shots.
    P8301606.JPG P8301605.JPG

We made a "bat and ball" and played "bushball".
    P8301604.JPG

We tried to catch minnows.
    P8301428.JPG

We turned a stump into a stool.
    P8301426.JPG

We learned a few things but, mostly, we just had fun! Thanks for joining us!
    P8301596.JPG P8301598.JPG

ETA: We had so much fun that I made a little video today. What a fun Summer it was! Thanks for joining us!

36. MrFixIt

Out at the hobo camp earlier. Since I didn’t complete a lesson or elective for Bushclass Intermediate I will post here.

E47B8EBD-BC86-41AD-BEAE-B1C30C32C9DE.jpeg

@Teeps sent me this bag in a PIF GAW box. I added the pad for the strap. Carried a Nalgene bottle full of water, my brew kit, some cordage, FAK, and some other kit.
    If you know what type of bag it is I’d like to know...

500B32F1-94B8-4E31-B681-3E3EF5ABFB8D.jpeg

E164BA4A-23DD-43BE-BAB3-B91482A35322.jpeg

A couple of shots of the hobo camp.

BEA4C70E-D5EA-4795-967F-0888F7AA139F.jpeg

Lunch. @bacpacjac has spoken of this Lipton Cup-A-Soup and I gave it a try...

2FAFC1EA-3287-4C1A-A90A-99EDA0CDDCC4.jpeg

Esbit stove, 2 Coghlans fuel tabs, SS WalMar cup and a homemade lid.
    Soups on!

C49B7482-8D3B-4AAF-896D-2304965D610C.jpeg

While the soup cooked I hung a thermometer. Will be nice to know the temps while I’m out here. 84 degrees when I snapped this photo.

02B3E9FA-3023-4F52-AEA5-CD73E706938E.jpeg

My brew kit pouch courtesy of @HannahT .

549DA9AA-120E-4607-9494-78918D1CA88A.jpeg

Oh yeah! Bubbling right along.
    While that died down and cooled (the noodles and chicken still hadn’t rehydrated fully) I listened to the birds and enjoyed the breeze.

I also relashed my pack tripod but no pics of that.

96A5A89A-7266-4E93-9655-4A396FE22D31.jpeg

The soup was good! Would be a great lunch for cooler weather.

Thanks for coming along!

SLaRoy, RavenLoon, Bobsdock and 12 others like this.
  37. DavidJAFO

hello.
    @MrFixIt
    "Once a jolly swagman Jarhead camped by a billabong
    Under by the shade of a coolibah tree fatwood stump
    He sang as he watched & waited 'til his billy boiled
    You'll come a Waltzing Matilda, collecting Jawjuh phatwood with me.." :p chuckle
    Regards
    David

38. MrFixIt

LOL!

39. bacpacjac

That's smoothing it, JD. Camp looks great! I recently discovered that the bigger packs of Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup only take 5 minutes to cook instead of the old 20. YAY!! ;) Thanks so much for bringing us along!

40. DavidJAFO

hello,
    I'm watching you guys in the brilliant sunshine, it's 7:55pm here dark already ..& raining!! :17:
    Regards
    David

41. MrFixIt

I probably should have used a bigger cooking vessel. They were a little salty...

I wish I could send you some sunshine and warm breezy weather friend.

42. DavidJAFO

hello,
    @MrFixIt J.D Bro, this is typical Scottish weather, we're back to "auld claes n' purrich" (Scots saying: back to old clothes & porridge) i.e. the summer is over, back to normality. :(
    Regards
    David

43. bacpacjac

Here too, Cousin David. I'm snuggled up in flannel pants, merino wool socks and a fleece hoodie right now - and I'm loving it!

44. bacpacjac

After the most recent thread drift landing in "How terrible YouTubers are!" territory, I'm hesitant to comment that I made a little video of our excursion on Friday and linked it in the trip report above. ;)

DISCLAIMER: My YouTube channel is NOT monetized. I am not, and will not try make money or gain subscribers off my YouTube videos. No pressure and hard feelings if you don't watch.

To everyone out there who's including pics & video in your trip reports: THANK YOU!! I love it! Keep it coming! Thank you for bringing us along with you on your journey!

45. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

@bacpacjac and @MrFixIt I love seeing my gear out in the wild! It's having more adventures than I am I think :D

46. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

@bacpacjac what an amazing job you have done teaching that group of kids! Making the world a better place in your own way. Thank you!

47. schapm

schapm Elitist Inflated Ego LB42 Supporter

77C65FE1-73D7-4B27-8EA2-F9EB90BCE738.jpeg
    I went to the office for a few hours today but left in time to go for a walk with my family. We headed to Prophetstown State Park and hit one of our favorite trails. It skirts along a hillside overlooking a prairie area before cutting across to the river.
    7351195B-F806-40C1-AFA8-428940F8BBE6.jpeg
    Some exploring was done.
    0EDBFB85-5E86-48CE-B058-CEF58C3E6E24.jpeg
    We stopped to cool off in this spring. My wife made those brogues for our second daughter.
    C969329A-356C-4795-AE67-C1298680A0EB.jpeg
    Out of the woods, running through the prairie area.

48. MrFixIt

:4:

:35:

:dblthumb:

49. bacpacjac

Most excellent! Looks like so much fun!!

MrFixIt, schapm, Bobsdock and 2 others like this.
  50. Paul Caruso

Labour day was the last day for brook trout. I brought one of my co-workers to my secret spot. I did not have to worry about my secret because he is going back to South Africa in a few months. We went up the creek, we had to get out of the canoe and drag it up the creek and over a beaver dam. I caught a brookie over 30 cm but when I held it up to get a pic he set himself free. At least it was witnessed.

I wanted to concentrate more on photography but it was just so much work just to get fishing. At one point, Doc thought he would try to stand up in the canoe and cast, well he went over into the drink. It was not very deep but it was cold. He was up to his chest. I wish I could have captured that. We almost pissed ourselves laughing. It did get cold quick and I started shivering, but it was only a 10-minute slog back to the truck.

The last day of the season was really fun, I wish my photography skills were better to convey the story, but I'm working on it. We probably caught about 15 brookies, we only kept the 2 that gorged the hook so bad that they would not have lived. They were really good eating.

I caught a little brookie at this spot. I figured I would let Doc try with his fly rod.
    IMG_0188.jpg

Here is the little pond above the dam.
    IMG_0199.jpg

One of the many that we caught.
    IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

SLaRoy, HannahT, Rockgod1619 and 10 others like this.