The Ongoing Mini Trip Report Thread 2019

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by bacpacjac, Jan 14, 2019.

1. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful, beautiful place you have there. I always look forward to your pictures. :)

2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A great outing, @bacpacjac !
    Thank you for sharing.

3. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Without calling out specific posts, I enjoy reading all of these. Thanks.

I still find it an effort to interrupt what I'm doing to take a pic of it, when I'm in the woods.

4. Bubbles

Bubbles BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Got out to do a little Fly Fishing and Bushcrafting in the afternoon. Caught nothing as I am a baaaad fly fisher. Debating whether or not to continue attemping fly fishing or just get back to the spinning rods.
    Decided to work on Splitwood fires an charring Natural Materials in the afternoon.
    I neglected to thoroughly read the instructions however. I thought the idea was to start the fire with just tinder and the pencil lead sized splits. Then I saw in some of the examples there is a pile of shavings as well. That definitlely would have made it easier to get these going faster, but I got them going regardless with just tinder and my pencil lead splits wood. May have to re-do these. I did a cedar split wood (Love how cedar splits!) and a Pine. The pine branches split better than the section of trunk I selected. I did scraped cedar bark for tinder for the cedar fire and Feather stick tinder for the Pine.
    Charred up some punk wood on both fires. I failed in my first attempt as there is a significant drying out period that needs to take place with damp punk wood before it chars. What I thought was smoke was actually steam and the wood wasn't near charred when I took it out. Lesson learned. 2nd attempt worked great and got my punk wood started with flint and steel and blew to flame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cedar Prep
    [​IMG]

Pine Prep [​IMG]

Charring Video

5. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll forever remember this hike as "The trip of the lost sunglasses." LOL!

My plan was to hike to the top of the hill at Heber Downs Conservation Area on Wednesday, do some invasive plant ID along the way, and find a good place to hang my hammock and have lunch before taking a leisurely stroll back down the other side of the "mountain". Instead, I dropped my sunglasses while putting on bug spray at the bottom of the hill, and didn't realize it until I got to the top. UGH! So, back down I went. Thankfully, they were still right where I left them. PHEW!

P6120226.JPG

Ok, it's not a mountain, but it is a pretty big freakin hill. If you're wearing a loaded pack and set a good pace, it sure feels like a mountain. What a great work-out!

P6120216.JPG

Rather than climbing back up, I took a different trail and followed the creek looking for those plants and potential fishing spots. Sadly, I see all these invasive plants regularly, and even think I saw a couple goldfish this time too. (Twice in a week on two different creeks. GRRR!)

P6120360.JPG

Dryad's Saddle/Pheasant's Back mushroom? I've come across a LOT of these in recent weeks.

P6120342.JPG

I think this is fox poop. It's right in the middle of the trail, and I hear that foxes are like that. I saw a hawk too, but couldn't get a picture or video in time. :)

P6120231.JPG

I eventually made it to a nice spot for lunch. Along with some jerky, I brought a mega wrap and bottle of Dr. Pepper. It was such a peaceful spot, I almost didn't want to go home.

P6120280.JPG

Lunch was delicious, even though my pita was a little soggy by the time I ate it, thanks to the extra long hike.

P6120276.JPG

After lunch, I kept hiking and came upon a nice spot to hang my hammock for a while and do some journalling. Summer Vacation with the Young Roughian Adventure Kiddos is fast approaching and I need to finalize my plans.

P6120310.JPG P6120340.JPG

This is happy Jacqui. Thanks for joining me!

P6120263.JPG

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  6. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    All week my wife and I have been stuck in orientation for our new jobs, dreaming of the mountains. We planned a day trip up to Boise National Forest to hike Blue Lake and do another hike if we had time. Gear was packed, lunch was made, and we were ready. Had about 8 miles of gravel road to climb to the trailhead.

Potty break, with a view.

IMG_7346.jpg

IMG_7347.jpg

Well... Uh... We should have packed the Yak-Traks. Did you know we were going this high? I didn't know we were going this high... Uh... Well... Let's try it!

IMG_7349.jpg

My wife is on her second ACL reconstruction and she left her supportive brace at home, not realizing we were going to be hiking in snow, so we took it easy. After a mile of wandering around we ended up no where but had a nice view for lunch.

IMG_7351.jpg

Big dog was in heaven with the snow.

IMG_7370.jpg

So were we.

IMG_7368.jpg

After we finished we drove to the end of the park road, had lunch on top of the mountain, and then went to Cascade Lake State Park for another short walk.

IMG_7374.jpg

Even though it wasn't what we had planned, I'll still call it a good day.

7. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a fantastic day to me. Thanks for bringing us along!

8. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Did a quick five miler at the Nature Conservancy's Great Wass Island Preserve. Sort of a last minute decision, hit the trailhead at 1530. Overtook a couple of hikers and met another couple coming out, beyond that had the place to myself for the remaining 2 1/2 hours I was there. One area is like a giant bonsai garden with weather stunted Jackpines...
    IMG_6661.JPG

The shore appears through the trees...
    IMG_6663.JPG

There's a reason locals call this island "the rock"....

IMG_6665.JPG

Can you guess which way the prevailing wind comes from?

IMG_6667.JPG

Neat rock...

IMG_6670.JPG

Had a snack and refreshment in the lee of the wind on this little point...

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6673.JPG

Though it was overcast, it was really nice out. Is "bright gray" a color?

IMG_6672.JPG

Volunteer workers had combed the beaches and gathered numerous piles of man crud that had washed ashore over the winter to be picked up by boat later...

IMG_6664.JPG

Another view down the shore before turning inland back to the trailhead...

IMG_6677.JPG

That's about it, thanks for coming along.

9. Watcher of the Woods

Blog Posts:
    Both dogs and I went on Five-Mile-Gulch trail today. The end goal was to hit the tree line.

IMG_7410.jpg

Getting closer...

58273748498__FEA6A0A7-1613-4CEE-A2FB-7A97138E2E37.jpg

At this point I was getting seriously tired, and it was crazy windy. Around 52f.

58273985588__1B8BC598-71B8-4DF8-98B7-1CE86557670A.jpg

The view from the top was amazing.

IMG_7417.jpg

Boise National Forest was gorgeous!

IMG_7429.jpg

IMG_7430.jpg

This was a great day! Burned a lot of calories and got a good climb in.

IMG_7440.png

10. Syntria

Syntria Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Spent some time in Anchorage earlier this month. Didn't get to do any real hiking/camping. However I've started a stash of gear at my Dad's for next visit later this year!

I did get to do some shooting. 44. Mag, 30-06, Shotgun, and 9mm llama.

[​IMG]

11. Bubbles

Bubbles BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Managed to sneak in a quick overnight for my Intermediate Bushclass. It was a very productive outing.
    Managed to squeeze in making an insulation bed, an improvised shelter, one of my 5 splitwood fires, cooking a campfire meal, Using my altoids fishing kit to catch fish (Largemouth arn't in season yet so I couldn't cook an eat) and actually having to improvise a bucksaw because my piece of crap Gerber folding saw broke. All while being destroyed by mosquitoes. Lots of lessons learned. I think I might leave the improvised shelters to the non-buggy months from now on. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Home for the night:
    [​IMG]
    The Next morning:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

How do you fight the inertia of everyday life? By fighting it bushcraft-style, for me.

Even for an hour, it's worth it. Worth it to be away from this:

20190623_171005.jpg 20190623_171103.jpg 20190623_203852.jpg

And being somewhere like this:

20190623_174139.jpg 20190623_175141.jpg 20190623_181439.jpg

Regards,

Christos

M.Hatfield, buckfynn, SLaRoy and 13 others like this.
  13. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been lucky the weather the past few weeks up here in North-Western Ontario has been beautiful, so I have been out a bunch. I have not taken many pictures but the scenery is the star attraction at this time of year.

Here is a small lake that I fished for brookies, as always, I did not catch any.

IMG_0803.JPG
    After spending 2 fishing trips going after trout I decided I would go for a sure thing, so I went to a lake about a 15-minute drive from my house where I know I would get be sure to catch pike or walleye. This is a beautiful lake that I have fished often from shore with very good luck catching both walleye and pike from the same spot on shore, but I had never ventured onto the lake. I was rewarded a very beautiful lake, and despite it being so close to town I had it all to myself.

IMG_0815.JPG

Out to where the lake widens out

IMG_0820.JPG

Finally! Some action. I have lots of pike in the fridge so this one is going back. I want walleye.
    I caught another pike, but I let him go, alas no walleye on this trip. The pike are putting up a huge fight, they definitely are not coming in like logs, just to freak out when they see the boat.

IMG_0823.JPG

Well, it's next weekend and its time to go to my favorite place, the Big Lake (Superior). We decided to camp out at a former WW2 POW camp. I took my family with me, this is the first time that we have gone camping with my 5-year-old, she loved it

IMG_0847.JPG

A rare view of Superior, I have seen it this quiet before, but not often. Still light out at 2155. The beach here is beautiful and at least a few km's long.

IMG_0854.JPG

The next day my daughter and I jogged on the beach, it was so beautiful we did not want to leave, the camping trip was a success. The best trip I think I have ever been on. All the aches and pains disappeared with walking and jogging barefoot on the beach. On Friday I was taking Tylenol for my knee pain that was keeping me up and Sunday after some Superior therapy I feel like a million bucks.

Proof of the happy campers. Sorry if the ugly dude with the glasses caused you to vomit, or caused your computer screen to stop functioning

IMG_0878.JPG

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    M.Hatfield, Haggis, buckfynn and 17 others like this.
  14. JOttum

JOttum Nights Watch Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What is that mapping program/ app you are using?

Got some NCT hikes coming up I'd love to use it on.

15. Watcher of the Woods

Blog Posts:
    I'm using AllTrails which is free and seems to work pretty well.

16. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
  17. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
  18. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Friday was the first day of Summer Vacation for the school kids around here. That means it was Day 1 of The Young Roughian Adventure Kiddo Summer, and the start of my busiest time of the year. There will be a rotating cast of characters this Summer, but this day I had the pleasure of being kept company by my daughter Abby(6), as well as Athena(5), Bella(4), Ophelia(4) an Hudson(2). They. Were. All. Very. Very. Excited. so I decided that we'd stay close to home and review our number 1 rule: Safety First. It took us 20 minutes to cross the street in front of Athena's house. LOL!! BUT if we can't focus on a couple safety rules here, but won't be spending much time in the wilds or using potentially dangerous stuff over the next 2 months. ;)

We ended up having a blast! We started by slipping through the magical hole in the fence, leaving our little neighbourhood, and entering "THE WILD!" haha! We were loaded with water bottles, bug spray, sun screen, snacks, lunch and plastic shopping bags to hold our treasures. The thermometer was expected to rise to 35C/95F, so I needed to keep our gear light. Bella insisted on bringing her own pack :D I acted as pack mule for everything else, as well a my BushClass PSK, a Nalgene and a First Aid kit.

P6285942.JPG

Before we did that though, we checked out some mushrooms and pine cones on this side of the fence. Let the treasure hunting begin!

P6285992.JPG

Stop number one was "The Fire Tree", our spot for @Luchtaine's 2019 Trip Report Challenge. Athena's hasn't been on this adventure trail with us before, so we needed to bring her up to speed on this monthly destination. We're checking the tree at least once a month to learn about it and to see how it changes throughout the year. We're also try to learn all we can about the other plants and animals that live around our special Maple tree.

P6285945.JPG

Next, we crossed the bike path and headed into "The jungle". There's a little path beaten through the trees along with path that feels totally wild when you're a little one. The kids love it. It's close to home but challenging enough for little legs, especially on a sweaty day. We didn't stay in there long today because the mosquitoes were ferocious, but we always find interesting stuff in there. This trip would be no exception.

P6285947.JPG

We gathered a little Yellow Wood Sorrel to take home for moms and dads to try. We had burgers for dinner, but I added some to a salad to have with them.

P6285952.JPG

We found part of somebody and had much discussion about who it might belong to. The general consensus is that it was a Squirrel tail.

P6286000.JPG

Our second goal for the adventure was to collect some Birch Bark for Cousin @DavidJAFO. I haven't been letting them take it off the trees, even though this one was dead standing. There's always bark on the ground if you look.

P6285955.JPG

We stopped at the park to snack, re-hyrdrate and play for the little while and then continued on our walk. We went a little further on the trail, and checked out the wild Blackberry bushes. They aren't here yet but the berries are coming!! There's a trail map at this stop, so we reviewed it and talked about what direction we were going. It was a good chance for a basic North-South navigation lesson, particularly once we turned around and started walking the opposite was we came.

P6285976.JPG

It was about then that Ophelia fell into a huge pile of something stinky and dirty. I didn't not have enough wipes or water to clean her up so we headed home for lunch. There was much more of this along the way...

P6285989.JPG

And much treasure was collected - including Birch bark for Cousin David and a bird's nest to show parents and siblings. :D

P6286001.JPG

It was a darned good day and an excellent way to start our Adventure Summer! Here's a little video of our walk, in case you're into that sort of thing. :)

Once we were home again, we smoothed it in the backyard. Giant freezies were had and I made them a quick boiled hot dog lunch. (BLECK! HAHAH!) Then they "helped" me make some noodles with my PSK. Cooking is an important part of our Summer activity plan, but I'm gojng to have to up my game to get everyone interested and involved. Today, Young Roughian Abby was an excellent Sous Chef. Next time, I think they'll use their own little bushpots (thank you @zelph!) and cook their own food. ;) Here's a little video of that in case you're interested in seeing it. Thanks for joining us!

19. Rockgod1619

Rockgod1619 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Had a great outing yesterday with two of my best friends. We went to a game management area to see if we could get our sights on feral hog or squirrel. We didn't get any game, but we did find an awesome hidden swimming hole! We'll be planning an overnight trip here soon!

Bunch of raccoon tracks by the creek.

20190629_081010.jpg

We found a whole mess of wild blackberry bushes and got a couple handfuls each! They were delicious! Of course this picture is after we got our fill!

20190629_085732.jpg

Here is the rocky creekside path to the swimming hole. You can see the swimming hole in the distance.

20190629_105514.jpg

And finally, the swimming hole in all its glory! My buddy for scale. After a little lunch of brats, we all jumped in and refreshed!

20190629_111935.jpg

20. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Yesterday's hiking:

20190629_161420.jpg 20190629_162520.jpg 20190629_163110.jpg 20190629_163125.jpg 20190629_163312.jpg 20190629_163709.jpg 20190629_174050.jpg

20190630_182226.jpg

20190629_174833.jpg 20190629_190837.jpg

Regards,

Christos

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  21. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @bacpacjac a whole lot of awesomeness in your mini trip report with the little people. The smile on these guys is worth a million words.
    [​IMG]

22. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    It's only Day 4 of the kiddos Summer vacation and I feel like I need to run away for a solo moment like this. Thanks so much for bringing us along, Christos!

23. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Thanks so much! My husband just said "I bet if we put them each on the their own chair and asked them to sit still and quiet for 5 minutes, they'd all bounce themselves off in 5 seconds." LOL!! It's going to be a long Summer. ;)

24. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow how did I miss this thread.

25. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    This is a trip report thread for all of us who don't think our trips measure up to an individual thread. If you only have time for one or a few pictures, or if you're a person of very few words, but you want to join in the trip reporting fun, this is the thread for you! Come and join us!

26. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Went for a quick hike along the rim of the gorge today:

20190702_204525570_iOS.jpg

Wild gentian:

20190702_202316617_iOS.jpg

20190702_205600454_iOS.jpg

Bigleaf magnolia:

20190702_210959049_iOS.jpg

20190702_205346552_iOS.jpg

27. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    About 8 mile hike today.
    20190703_160827.jpg 20190703_160834.jpg 20190703_163023.jpg 20190703_164312.jpg 20190703_164622.jpg 20190703_164707.jpg 20190703_165839.jpg 20190703_170233.jpg 20190703_174241.jpg 20190703_174248.jpg

28. Watcher of the Woods

Blog Posts:
    We went out into the foothills yesterday and did 2.5 miles on the Hulls Gulch Interpretive trail. It was a great day! It was in the low 70's with a nice breeze.

IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7539.jpg

Then we drove up the forest roads and found some new places to explore. Great day all around.

Paul Caruso, M.Hatfield, Guy and 11 others like this.
  29. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you had a good time.

FS231 - Sunset Peak Road?

30. Watcher of the Woods

Blog Posts:
    Yup, then over onto 275. The forester did pretty well on those minimally maintained roads.

31. Jack of the Wood

Jack of the Wood Scout

Blog Posts:
    2FFF6D91-5884-4E0F-A9C5-8B799301C211.jpeg

Had the chance to get out today and did a little scouting. Discovered a new site I am looking forward to visiting again in the future.

It started pouring about an hour after this was taken, saturating the already flooded ground. Fashioned my Grabber All Weather blanket into a rain cloak/ poncho, which worked well.

Paul Caruso, M.Hatfield, Guy and 11 others like this.
  32. Watcher of the Woods

Blog Posts:
    Supposed to hit 95f today, that means an early start. Wife forgot her work badge at work which set me back a little, but not too bad. 20 minute drive up Bogus Basin Rd gets me to a little known trail head.

Things are looking promising...

IMG_7549.jpg

Lots of up, but then it leveled off near the Stack Rock trail system. We explored around there some and marveled at the views.

IMG_7555.jpg

Heading back down had an amazing view of the city.

IMG_7556.jpg

Big dog HAD to cool off in the creek.

IMG_7563.jpg

After this great hike I decided to go up Bogus Basin further and explore some of the forest roads. Amazing views up there. The dogs weren't really happy about all the bumps, but my Impreza handled the dirt roads with grace and I was more than happy. The low fuel light came on while we were climbing these back roads, made me a little anxious but we coasted down without an issue.

IMG_7566.jpg

IMG_7567.jpg

33. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Went out for lunch today with my wife. Nothing special, just an apple with pb, cheese, summer sausage, and crackers, but the setting was a whole different story... 20190707_161941.jpg 20190707_162408.jpg 20190707_161756.jpg 20190707_161119.jpg 20190707_162135.jpg 20190707_161531.jpg 20190707_161316.jpg 20190707_161032.jpg 20190707_162108.jpg and when we got home we had to finish such an awesome day off with one of these 20190707_202310.jpg thanks for lookin

34. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Took my daughter up to one of my hangouts just to get away and have a nice change of pace. She loves to get out and have taught her a bunch of bushcraft skills. She loves to harvest fat wood as you can see here. Took the scuttle up to cook some steak and beans as well.
    [​IMG]Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 7.37.56 AM by Ken Cardwell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 7.37.40 AM by Ken Cardwell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 7.37.12 AM by Ken Cardwell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 7.38.19 AM by Ken Cardwell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 7.38.08 AM by Ken Cardwell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 7.37.26 AM by Ken Cardwell, on Flickr

35. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
  36. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac memories ^^^^ I remember when the now gate was a small hole in the fence. I told you to patch it up way back then, with a sign a big dog lives here "woof woof" place the quarantine sign over the hole, & now look... :4: ROTFLMAO
    Regards
    David

37. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I took Fish Fry Frank (my 4wheeler) to my waterfall this weekend and cooked with my aunt :) And her dog, who is a colossal pest :34:I wasn't sure what I thought about the HPG Tara at first, but as I wear it more it's been settling into the shape of my shoulders better and now I like it! It's especially great for the 4wheeler.

We had cowboy coffee, sandwiches, and eggs :) I dropped my eggs in the dirt :17: I do that every time!! I scraped the dirty parts off and ate the rest!

IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0595.JPG

38. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a great looking set-up, Hannah sorry about your eggs. :( I too seem to drop food every time. I'm trying to both improve and accept it at the same time. An offering to the outdoor cooking and fire gods cant hurt, right? Haha

39. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    The ants love it when I come, I'm sure :D I know my aunt's dog was happy, and he's not supposed to have people food! And, you know, immune system boost and all that :) Everybody needs a little dirt in their system!

40. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    AWESOME day out @HannahT ^^^^ time out & repeat after me "gods hand before the devil's" the 5-second rule comes into play, the egg is now safe to eat... :p nom nom... :4: LMAO
    Regards
    David

41. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    It was coated in dirt and sticks and stuff like I'd rolled it in bread crumbs :26: I et it anyway! After I scraped some off, that is...

42. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to a bout of Pink Eye that hit her on Friday night, Abby and I had a day to ourselves yesterday. She's been in quarantine, but her eye was cleared-up, so despite the fact that it was already melty hot outside, we decided on a nature walk to the used bookstore.

Our first stop was "The Fire Tree", our spot for @Luchtaine's 2019 Trip Report contest.

P7096734.JPG

After @MrFixIt's close call this week, protecting ourselves from heat and humidity was important conversation throughout the day. We packed Kool-aid Jammers and water bottles, as well as sunscreen and tarps and ponchos that we planned to hang when we stopped to make lunch. We didn't get around to that, though, because it was just too hot. It only got up to about 1o0 yesterday, but that was more than enough. Hydration and protection from the sun are no joke in this weather!

The Fire Tree has a sister on the other side of the park, so we stopped there from some shade and our first of many drinks.

P7096742.JPG

We started our hike with three important missions, other than not melting:
    • Go to the book store
    • Collect Birch bark for Cousin @DavidJAFO and @Staleym's Granddaughter Ruby
    • Check on all the wild edibles we know of along this trail. The maps we have do not cover this section of trail, so we're going to make our own map and mark our points of interest on it. ;) Today we made note of Cattails, Staghorn Sumac trees, Raspberry bushes, Apple trees, and Black Walnut trees. The berries are almost ready!

P7096749.JPG
    P7096764.JPG P7096758.JPG P7096776.JPG

We also gave ourselves some homework. We can't remember what this tree is so we took lots of pictures and made some notes and drawings in our journals.

P7096792.JPG

When we got to the end of this section of trail, and we were in sight of the book store, we could also see Dairy Queen, with it's lovely ice cream and air conditioning.... So, instead of making MH Chicken and Dumplings in the ravine like we planned, we detoured for burgers & fries, some journalling, and smoothing it in the air conditioning.

P7096801.JPG

After, we hit the book store, then turned around and headed home. It wasn't a far trek, but we walked for about 5 hours, and that was more than enough. It was an awesome day and we accomplished all of our missions!

We slipped into the ravine for a bit and gathered a couple of big handfuls of Yellow or River Birch bark. I have no idea which is which, so that's a homework assignment for us too. ;) That's our new Young Roughians flint & steel kit there in the Schokakola tin, by the way. We put a little of the Birch bark in there and the rest is going in the mail. We were going to try to make sparks with our new fire snake, Amber, but we didn't want to start a forest fire. ;)

P7106854.JPG

We also got a couple of the books we were after, as well as a piece of Iron Pyrite and Quartz to try to make primitive fire with. All in all, it was a pretty awesome day! Thanks for joining us!

P7096818.JPG

Here's a little video too, if you're into that sort of thing and would to see more. Have an awesome day, my friends. Stay cool and hydrated!~

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  43. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    :35: :35: :35:
    :4:

44. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @HannahT ^^^^ extra protein you'd put you know who to shame :27: (whispers) "B.G" Oops!! $1.00c in the swear jar. :34:LOL
    Regards
    David

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  45. matjbrown

matjbrown @matjbrown on Instagram Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if any of you use Google photos to back up your photos, but I love the little reminders of what I was up to last year. Photos of this trip popped up this week. Hoping to get out this weekend and see if these berries came back. Cheers...

IMG_0675.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0638.JPG IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0618.JPG IMG_0661.JPG

46. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
  47. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well I did another trip with two buddies of mine. We drove up to the Heber area and did some car camping for two days. I took some video but it sounded terrible, but I kept the pictures. Picked up a DSLR today for next to nothing, so in two weeks I’ll video my entire trip. Here’s some pictures from the last one. The lake was about two miles away and prohibits camping. Still looking for a spot like that where camping is allowed.

My tent and truck C9C6DD63-61F0-411B-9A26-C6383EF4DFBB.jpeg 3531F5DC-BFBE-4454-AC7B-BA33FEB36983.jpeg B1965EC9-2D3E-4A6A-BDF6-E8FAFF79F7BF.jpeg

48. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    It is a super melty one here today. It's 39C/102.2f right now, so we're inside eating freezies and building their individual First Aid Kits. The Young Roughian Aventure Kiddos and I managed to sneak out through the hole in the fence for a little walk this morning though, before the thermometer went over 100.

We did more of this - find shade and hydrate) than anything else on our hour long excursion. They didn't even want to play at the park, just sit in a shade and drink.

P7160009.JPG

We did do a little bug hunting as we went.

P7160012.JPG P7160014.JPG

And we made it to our destination - one of the berry bushes near the park, where we picked some for our afternoon snack.

P7160018.JPG P7160019.JPG

My GSI kettle makes an excellent pot for foraging.

P7160021.JPG

We stopped at the shelter at the park again on our way home, where I realized that I should have done more of this this morning. Bad Jacqui. Good thing we only planned a mini adventure today.

P7160013.JPG

I did cut a piece of standing dead green Maple to do some whittling tonight.

P7160022.JPG

As soon as we got home we threw our packs under the tree and jumped in the pool before seeking the A/C in house and inhaling watermelon and freezies. All the kids have two kits now: a backpack big enough to hold their beach towels, and these little haversack kits. My pack is 22L for size reference, and the red ROOTS one is about the same.

P7167196.JPG

They packed light today: Water bottle, Kool-aid Jammers (drank on the trail), fruit snacks (eaten on the trail), a lanyard with a whistle & bear bell, bandana, emergency poncho (there's t-storms in our forecast today), a lightweight, brightly & lightly coloured long sleeved top and some plastic bags for foraging & treasures.

P7167197.JPG

Thanks for joining us! Stay cool and hydrated, my friends!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  49. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    This doesn't deserve it's on thread, because it's totally non-bushcraft related, but I wanted to share just a little of my first trip overseas (and first cruise (which was a river cruise):

DDG_20190629_102425.jpg Wow.. so that's what REAL mountains look like? (Alps - landing in Basel, Switzerland)

DDG_20190630_160416.jpg VERY common landscape during our journey!

DDG_20190630_212929.jpg Hey.. they have gorgeous sunsets here too :)

DDG_20190701_091104.jpg
    YES! WILDLIFE! (LOVED the Storks!)

DDG_20190701_100833.jpg Can I boil that water?

DDG_20190701_101240.jpg
    Now that's some OOOLLLLD Firewood..!

DDG_20190701_114147.jpg
    Strasburg Cathedral. 'Nuff said.

DDG_20190702_204152.jpg Family adventure.. can you guess who's related by blood? (my mommy on the left)

DDG_20190703_100433.jpg Wonder what it's like to hike those terraces? How about HARVESTING on those hills?? YIKES!

DDG_20190703_112659.jpg Just a little river/landscape..

50. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    Ohh.. and we DID "hike" just a bit in the Black Forest.. I wanted to be THERE for several hours!! (Hammock camping in Germany.. now that would be something for the scrapbooks!)