The Ongoing Mini Trip Report Thread 2019

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by bacpacjac, Jan 14, 2019.

1. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Banned Member Banned

2. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Pretty cool waterfall!

3. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Banned Member Banned

4. buckfynn

5. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Got a three night backpacking trip in last weekend. I know, I know it's too hot to backpack but it's still better than sitting on the couch.
    I think this was Friday nights camp image.jpg long creek is getting low sure could use some rain. image.jpg Morning coffee. image.jpg Saw this copperhead. image.jpg Bluff line along the trail image.jpg thanks for looking.

6. buckfynn

The last photo under the overhang looks pretty neat!

7. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

@buckfynn here's a pic of the same bluff different angle.
    Compleat with fire ring and flintstone furniture. image.jpg

8. buckfynn

9. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

10. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

I love all of this, Janiz, even the grey hair. Those are well-earned warrior hairs, my friend! Be proud!!

11. bacpacjac

Great pics, @RiceOnSuede and @Bobsdock! Those are a couple of beautiful trips! Thanks for bringing us along!

12. bacpacjac

The weather has made it challenging to get the kiddos out on adventure lately. Yesterday, the Young Roughian Wild Women and I took advantage of a break in rain to get out for a quick foraging walk and a picnic.

The sky behind "The Fire Tree" was ominous, but pretty at the same time. We kept a close eye on the weather moving in. Thunderstorms were in the forecast and we didn't want to get caught out in one. The kiddos all brought their adventure packs though, just in case. ;)

P8078878.JPG

One of our favourite spots to picnic is under this Willow tree, but it was risky yesterday. 4 year old Bella is afraid of lawnmowers, but this guy just started his lunch break when we arrived. PHEW!! Bella was preoccupied with keeping an eye on it as we ate, and you'll be relieved to know that it didn't get us. LOL!

P8078880.JPG

Thinking that we might need to make a run for it, we packed a cold lunch with no cooking. Turkey and cheese wraps were delicious, especially with cucumbers from Bella's garden and lettuce from ours. ;)

P8078867.JPG P8078849.JPG

The most important goal for this mission, other than having lunch, was to gather stuff for crafting. We came home with a bunch of sticks, some rocks, 3 "bushcrafted" Willow skipping ropes, and some more Willow branches to use as cordage for our primitive axe project.I brought along some field guides to help us learn about the Willow tree but we didn't have time for it.

P8078882.JPG
    P8078897.JPG P8078898.JPG

Too soon, the thunder rolled, and it was time to make a run for it.

P8078847.JPG

We made it home just before the sky opened. PHEW!

P8078895.JPG

Thanks for joining us!

P8078892.JPG

13. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Lol I'm not sure where I am but hubby swears I am.

The back was happy for 8 miles then it said oh no I'm not gonna but that's in part due to me locking my core and only paddling primarily with my arms which I gave up 5 miles in.

But hey I'm moving

14. matjbrown

matjbrown @matjbrown on Instagram Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Quick breakfast out. Found me some blackberries and made a quick topping for my pancakes.

IMG_1414.JPG IMG_1417.JPG IMG_1434.JPG IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1443.JPG

15. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Awesome afternoon exploring a new trail 30 minutes from our house. Seriously amazing views.

IMG_7755.jpg IMG_7758.jpg

16. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Out looking for wildflowers today..

E2AF7CC3-700F-4726-B741-D3EBC8C85E8E.jpeg CF9ED1C7-7450-4F5F-861B-3FEE0D9028CD.jpeg 763105C3-AA00-496B-B2B4-E39DC1F19B29.jpeg 6A3BD100-96B3-4779-8DD0-9F7A33584031.jpeg

Paul Caruso, shoogai, SLaRoy and 18 others like this.
  17. hdbeav

hdbeav As Iron Sharpens Iron #24 / Noble Order of the Cup Supporter

My daughter and I got in an afternoon hike in Mohican state park.
    Big Lyons falls...
    20190731_144845.jpg

There is usually a trickle of water from above to cool off on a hot humid day 20190731_145109~2.jpg
    20190731_144924.jpg
    Trail scenery
    20190731_144728.jpg 20190731_153507.jpg 20190731_153750.jpg 20190731_153819.jpg 20190731_155806.jpg 20190731_154607.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  18. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

19. matjbrown

matjbrown @matjbrown on Instagram Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Ha Ha, they aren't my favorite breakfast either, but a fun challenge to make in the woods. Plus I needed to test the non-stick of the pan. They were good though, thank you.

20. Watcher of the Woods

Had to get out of the house so my wife could sleep for her upcoming overnight shift. Drove about 25 minutes and parked at a local trail which was an old logging road. We hiked a new path today than we have gone before. Ended up down at Dry Creek. Found what looked to be part of an old cabin? Also has a lot of pallets that I think were for firewood.

IMG_7784.jpg

Little dog loved climbing, she was about 10 feet up at this point in time lol.

IMG_7785.jpg

Ate an MRE down by Dry Creek. Hung out for awhile and did some whittling with my new Mora Classic. Didn't really make anything in particular, just getting a feel for it. The dogs kept eating random crap so we headed back up towards the car.

IMG_7787.jpg

Halfway up we stopped at my new favorite place. It's a huge rock formation that jutts out from the trail. It commands an amazing view and picks up a nice breeze. It was great to just sit and breathe while the dogs relaxed.

IMG_7801.jpg

21. bacpacjac

The Young Roughian Wild Women Adventure Girls Abby and Charlotte wanted to go out to a restaurant for lunch yesterday. I agreed, but only on the condition that it be pit stop on an all day outdoor adventure day. We needed to find sticks to turn into sling staffs for @MAD Punty's GAW, and we wanted to gather some more Blackberries before they're gone!

Adventure Bear and Adventure Kitty joined us, as always.

P8149057.JPG

The Blackberries are done for this year but the Apples and Black Walnuts are ready! We snacked on some apples, but they are tart so the kids aren't crazy about them unless we bake them into something sweet. None of us wanted to hike with a bag of apples all day, though, so we decided to leave that for a rainy day. ;)

P8149067.JPG

They spent a goodly amount of time trying to figure out how to get to the meat inside the walnuts. The other wildlife is good at it, and these two came close yesterday. They figured out that they can use rocks and smashing to get through the outer green shell, but they couldn't crack the mystery of the inner hard shell. Are quest to learn about primitive tools continues!! ;)

P8149071.JPG
    P8149090.JPG

After lunch, we found to good spot to hang their hammocks and do some journaling.

P8149146.JPG

I thought about hanging my hammock between theirs but there was way to much "Mom, could you please...." and "Jackson, could you please get my...." for that. LOL!

P8149149.JPG

So, I smoothed it on a log and sketched in my journal instead. ;)

P8149157.JPG

I am terrible but the more I try this sketching thing, the more I enjoy it.

P8159189.JPG

Too soon, it was time to pack up and make the trek home.

P8149184.JPG

We hiked roughly 7 kms/4.3 miles total, so they were pretty hot and tired when we got back home. We did find our first sling staff candidate on our return journey! If you haven't done it already, go check out that GAW here: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/mad-puntys-1st-anniversary-challenge-gaw.256229 !!!!

Thanks for joining us!

P8149173.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  22. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Love it!:D

Be careful with those black walnuts, they can stain skin and clothes like nobody's business. The best way to crack them is with a vise, apply slow pressure until they crack. Their shells are unbelievably tough.

My friend has a lot of black walnuts in his yard, and one of my long term plans is to make a walking stick and stain it with black walnuts. That will probably have to wait for next year...we'll see.

23. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

@bacpacjac I just realized that Miss Charlotte looks a lot like my granddaughter.
    This pic is a couple of years old but I hope you see the resemblance.

Tycooking.jpg

24. bacpacjac

They could be sisters! :D That's cool!!

Paul Caruso, Bobsdock, Jim L. and 6 others like this.
  25. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

hello,
    Sorry Cousin @bacpacjac refunds the $1.00c from the Clubhouse orphans fund swear jar sorry ^^^^ wrong Bear. :34:
    Regards
    David

26. bacpacjac

haha!!! Heck, I'll throw one in anyone. It's for a good cause! ;)

27. bacpacjac

It's Friday and the Young Roughian Adventure Kiddos are restless. We spent the day in the backyard yesterday so this morning we went for a little nature walk. They had a ton of energy to burn so any sort of bushcrafting was secondary today.

Tarzan practice with Ben's Willow tree was one of the main events.

P8169283.JPG

Gymnastics practice with a Maple tree was the second.

P8169285.JPG

We were hoping to find some nice sharp rocks while we were out, to turn into knives and an axe, but it didn't happen today. But, we did manage to find some of the other things we were looking for.

We're always on the look-out for things to add to their fire kit. I found this BIC while looking for downed tree limbs. It's caked in mud so wouldn't work, but we brought it home to wash & dry. It's got fluid in it so our hopes are high.

P8169290.JPG

We gathered a shopping bag full of tinder and kindling for our upcoming Firecraft practice session. I also grabbed some Grapevine bark for cordage and punky Willow for their char tin. ;)

P8169273.JPG

Abby and I harvested a bunch of Willow. I want to learn to use Willow for it's medicinal properties, but for now, our plan is to use it to make cordage for our on-going sling staff and primitive tools projects.

P8169293.JPG

We also found lots of sticks to use for our bow drill kit, primitive knives & axe, carving projects, and also for our Sling Staff project for @MAD Punty's 1st Anniversary GAW. Check that out here: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/mad-puntys-1st-anniversary-challenge-gaw.256229/

P8169302.JPG

We also found fishing bait, but since we're not going fishing any time soon, we left these guys alone.

P8169295.JPG

We even found a couple of chrysalis, though they were both empty.

P8169299.JPG

On the way home, much cartwheeling and bug hunting happened.

P8169308.JPG

Everyone had a great time, except maybe Dylan's new pet Grasshopper. Hopefully, it'll settle in soon and have a good long life.

P8169323.JPG

Thanks for joining us!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  28. buckfynn

A most excellent kiddos adventure!

Bobsdock, MrFixIt, Jim L. and 3 others like this.
  29. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

This is one of my walking spots when I go up to Marquette. It's just a few miles north of town. No fires allowed here but it's a great place with miles of shoreline and trails. I go here probably every other week.
    DSC03182.JPG DSC03178.JPG DSC03183.JPG DSC03189.JPG DSC03194.JPG DSC03186.JPG DSC03188.JPG

30. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

We had my wife's Grams 85th birthday party today. They held it at a small town park with a few acres of woods and a couple trails. After an hour sitting under a pavilion being bored, I excused myself for a smoke break and took a half hour or so jaunt through the woods. Quite a few dog walkers on the trails so I just wandered around the woods for a while checking out the stream. It was a nice to get that time to myself.
    Nothing spectacular here, but I thought it was nice.

tt1.jpg
    tt2.jpg
    tt3.jpg
    tt4.jpg
    tt5.jpg

31. bacpacjac

32. bacpacjac

WOW! That's how to take a smoke break!

33. Bubbles

Bubbles BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Managed to get a quick outing in while on a work trip up north. Up at 5am to get some fishing in, quick fire lay work, and a swim in the creek to get myself cleaned up before I had to get to work. Fishing was a bit of a bust, and didn't catch anything but small shiners and creek chubs. Managed to finish my fire lay requirements for Intermediate bushclass with a quick log cabin fire that I used for making some char cloth.
    Sunrise Drive:
    [​IMG]
    Fire Prep for Log Cabin fire.
    [​IMG]

This massive amount of jewelweed came in handy as the mosquitoes were worse than I had anticipated.
    [​IMG]
    Raspberries were poppin'!
    [​IMG]

Mike.

34. plantedtao

plantedtao Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

We have been picking blackberries on our nightly strolls. I seem to come back with more than my daughter :)

2C6B39CF-9105-407E-81A5-D9AF62EDEF2C.jpeg

35. bacpacjac

I'm jealous! Our Blackberry season is over here. Fall is coming!

36. bacpacjac

Yesterday was Mother-Daughter Adventure Day around here, but Abby asked if her friend Lily could join us so it turned into more of a Young Roughians kind of day. :) It took forever to get them out of the house, but they were excited about exploring the creek. We had a blast, but I ended up feeling very pessimistic about the state of our world thanks to the trash we found there. More on that later.

Much exploring happened and many treasures were found. The girls had control of the camera for most of the day so I apologize for picture and video quality. ;)

fun at the creek.gif

We had a little lesson with the Bacho Laplander. I think this is Willow but it might be Maple for all I know. LOL! I've got a Tree Key in my journal but the girls were couldn't have cared less so I left it in my pack. Whatever it is, it's going to get put to good use soon. I see a bow drill spindle in there and some spoons,maybe a primitive knife handle and a little sling staff.... :D

P8200324.JPG P8200327.JPG
    P8200330.JPG

And the not good stuff: We found a needle and 2 un-fired, seemingly loaded shot gun shells. I didn't know what to do with them. I wanted the kids to take them seriously but not be scared. I couldn't leave them there, and didn't have my cell phone with me, so we took them to the Police Station. :( It made me so sad and mad. The darkness in encroaching on our tiny corner of the world more and more every day. I hope it's not the start of a downward trend in this spot. It's our best, closest to home, coolest place to play, and my kiddos aren't the only ones. :(

P8200302.JPG P8200312.JPG

When it was all said and done, we did a good deed and had a great time. When we got home, Lily asked her mom if she could go on adventures with us every day. I take that as high praise. :D Thanks for joining us!

P8200336.JPG

37. Watcher of the Woods

A day off not spent outside is a waste to me.

Wife was sleeping for her overnight shift, so I took the dogs about an hour from home to hike the Station Creek trail. Temp was 67 when we got there, no bugs in sight, and only one other car at the trail head. Perfect.

Almost this entire trail is up. 5.4 mile round trip, and around 2k ft of elevation gain.

Gorgeous pine forests.

IMG_7885.jpg

Found this exploded deer. I was hyper aware today looking for bear. No sign though.

IMG_7886.jpg

Almost to the top.

IMG_7887.jpg

Spent around 30 minutes here at the top just taking in the sights and breathing in the clean mountain air.

IMG_7891.jpg

IMG_7892.jpg

38. bacpacjac

Yesterday, three of the Young Roughians and I went on a little urban adventure. We had three goals for this outing: Get food for lunch, find some sparky rocks, and go for a picnic. We decided to skip the nature walk and just take the shortest route to our first destination: The grocery store for Adventure Fuel. We did practice IDing some trees and mushrooms along the way, but it was just a refresher except for one little butterfly that we still haven't figured out. ;)

P8230433.JPG

Beside the grocery store is this mini boulder field. The kiddos love hunting for fossils there, and we found one this time. YAY! We also tested out our @Aion Innovation Titanium striker. Lots of sparks were made.

P8230455.JPG P8230442.JPG P8230465.JPG

It's rare that we don't bring any rocks home with us and this trip was no exception. I pocketed this lovely one for more F&S&T practice.

P8230467.JPG

Dylan picked this huge piece of concrete. He was determined that it was just the thing he needed to finally get up into a tree he's been trying to climb this Summer. God love him, he carried it the entire way and even helped Ben with his hat when the wind kicked up.

P8230474.JPG

I felt for him so I carried his lunch bag, along with mine and the rest of our gear. It was hot and we weren't doing anything serious so I didn't make them bring their packs this time. (Check out the new picnic/foraging/wood hauling bag I picked up at the grocery store!) Just call me "Sherpa". LOL! Special shout out to Young Roughian Gold Bug who had a pretty cool shirt on in his trip report from @NevadaBlue yesterday!

P8230471.JPG

Time to chow down. They had Lunchables, yogurt drinks and cupcakes. My GI poncho makes a great picnic blanket, BTW.

P8230481.JPG

The kids rushed through eating because they were WAY more interesting in climbing that tree. Dylan's boulder did the trick and he finally made it up. YAY! It's hard to tell in the picture below but Ben was so excited that he was dancing. LOL!

P8230504.JPG

While they played, I smoothed it with my DIY grown-up lunch. German salami, Smoked Gouda, spinach dip and tortillas sounds like a weird combo, but it was so good. Thanks for joining us!

P8230488.JPG

39. DavidJAFO

hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac OMG Dylan reminds me of a young lad I had on a hike up 'the boot breaker' 711 m hill. We were ascending to the top for a packed lunch & beforehand were discussing the Iron Age cairn at the summit along with the Roman fort on the route. It was thought lucky to add a rock to the cairn which denoted you had been to the summit. So we're walking at a nice pace along the path upwards where there are a number of false summits on this hill. This lad is puffing away but still eager to reach the cairn. So we arrive at the cairn unpacks the pack lunches & this wee lad produced a rock boulder which he had picked up at the start of the ascend & carried it all the way to the summit, no mean feat having weighed the boulder. All the packs were checked prior to the hike, both he & another lad unbeknown to the group were foraging for a 'rock' along the way for the cairn & he decided he was taking this one to the top, bless him. :)
    Regards
    David
    WELL DONE DYLAN on the tree climb :dblthumb: YAY!!

40. bacpacjac

hahahaha!! I love it, David! That kind of determination will serve them well in life!

41. SLaRoy

SLaRoy Supporter Supporter

I spent yesterday afternoon exploring a new potential fishing spot with my cousin. Lots of great paddling and beautiful blooms, not a lot of fish.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

42. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

43. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Wow! Just wow!

44. pheyos

pheyos Tracker

Didn’t want to take up new thread space if this wasn’t substantive enough so I’m posting here. Went camping with the family a couple of weeks ago in Lake Tahoe and thought I’d try some of the skills listed in the Bushclass for fun.

I’d made a gassifier stove before using the design at Make magazine and made a new one for the trip. The design works well, though it only burns about 9-10 minutes. Used it with a beaked notch pot hanger to make some pine needle tea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made bannock for the first time for the fam and they loved it. Used the recipe from the Green Moxie website. Measured and packed the dry ingredients ahead of time, eyeballed the oil and water until the dough was formed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I cooked mine on a stick but everyone else got theirs cooked on a grill mat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favorite part of these trips is getting out into the woods and taking photos. These are from a short road out back of the campground.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this one from a pond by Angora Lakes.
    [​IMG]

45. bacpacjac

Fantastic report! Looks like an incredible trip!

46. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

I spent last week on a family vacation on the coastline of New Hamshire. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I made the best of it. Some highlights: teaching the bowdrill to my niece and nephew everyday at 5pm, cooking breakfast on my twigstove at sunrise on the beach (inspired by @Beach Hiker) and waking up everyday at 4am to get out for some beutiful sunrises. 20190823_052051.jpg 20190821_053539.jpg 20190820_055404.jpg 20190820_055621.jpg 20190822_054634.jpg
    Almost forgot... started this kuksa from a block of wood the first day and sat on the beach until the sun got to hot everyday whittling while meeting curious dogs on their morning walk 20190826_183256.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  47. pheyos

pheyos Tracker

Thank you! Will try to be more descriptive with future ones.

48. Burlap

Burlap Tracker

I live in Boise too. What is the area called?

49. bacpacjac

Young Roughain Adventure Girl Abby and I wanted to go for a long hike on Saturday morning. The sky kept looking more ominous as we went, so we changed plans mid-walk and went to the little ravine near our house instead of the bigger ravine on the other end of the trail.

P8240662.JPG

We almost made it to the big ravine when we decided to turn around. Before we did, though, so stopped for ice cream. She ate most of hers while we walked, and I saved mine until we got back to the trailhead.

P8240641.JPG

Ice cream was a welcome treat. The morning had been sunny and warm and we both welcomed the sweet cool-off. Once we were done, we hit the trail again, and stopped at one of the wild Apple trees to get some snacks for later in the day. There are 4 or 5 Apple trees on this section of trail, but only one of them had good apples. The rest were sparse, pathetic and super tart. A symptom of the Summer weather, I suspect.

P8240654.JPG

These ones were like little Macintoshes. Sweet and yummy.

P8240659.JPG

After a little nature watching, we headed to our little ravine, hoping that it wouldn't be in worse shape than it was the last time we were there.

P8240671.JPG

Before we got there, we heard the ringing bell of the old school sharpening truck that tours our city on Saturdays. I almost left my MP knife at home and I'm so glad I didn't. I chipped it a while ago and have been too timid to sharpen it properly to fix it. She's all better now!! :D

P8240669.JPG

When we finally got to the ravine, we realized that it was worse. There's even more garbage and we found two more loaded shot gun shells. We soon gave up and called an end to the adventure. Instead of making lunch there, we packed up and headed to the Police Station to hand-in the ammunition. :(

P8240681.JPG P8240682.JPG P8240684.JPG

Thanks for joining us!

50. DavidJAFO

hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac & Adventure Girl Abby, can I just say a HUGE "thank you" for the summer road trips & adventures you guys have had & for taking us along. I think this is the last week of the Ontario summer holidays & dare I say it :27: (whispers) back to school for the Young Roughians Adventure kiddos. Always a great pleasure watching your YouTube adventures. #ThankYou :dblthumb:
    Regards
    David