The "panic bag".

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by THRsucks, May 5, 2018.

1. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have put together something I refer to as a Panic bag, and it differs from other types of bags, EDC, Bugout bags, etc for a few reasons.

1. It is the bag you grab, if the world has only ended for you, not society as a whole.

If your house catches fire, it may be more important to have all of your identity documents,deeds, titles, cash, credit cards, and a back up prepaid phone than to have a 72 hour bag without those items. And allot of us leave those types of bags in our vehicles anyway so they remain handy. You would not want to keep the contents of your panic bag in your vehicle.

2. While you can and should keep EDC type items in the bag, its main purpose is not to provide everything you need, it should provide the means.

Because the panic bag is mainly information based, it should have maps, schedules, and locations.

Such as, the nearest soup kitchen, safe places to camp, and meeting places for family and friends. When things go completely upside down, its really difficult to remember even the most basic information, write it down, back it up, and you wont have to worry as much.

3. The panic bag is designed for running.

The weight must remain low, and the load must be small. When being chased by gangmembers, climbing fences is difficult with a 72 hour load. If you are alone, and you can't run with it, climb with it, swim with it, and fight with it dont bother carrying it.

As a side note, most places wont even allow you to use the restroom if you are carrying a bag too large.

When you are sleeping in a homeless shelter when everyone you thought you could count on goes to crap, you will be glad you have that small bag under your Mattress (to wake you up, when people try to rob you while you are sleeping) sleeping with a big bag of camping gear is hard, unless you like sleeping in a recliner.

Even moving around gets difficult on public transport, bumping into people, and being pick pocketed is a real concern.

The monsoon from maxpedition gets my top pick. You could pretty easily rotate it to your front and use it as a holster. That is, if you havent already sold your glock to buy a cheeseburger and a hotel room.

4. A bible.

Sleep is poor man's dinner. And the word of god is the poor man's breakfast.

JKR, Lee C., Paulyseggs and 7 others like this.
  2. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That could be used in a modular approach.

A small bag like that can easily be thrown in--or taken out of-- a larger bag (BOB, EDC, etc.) if need be.

3. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @THRsucks good info on "backing up your life". I carry (and have stashed at family/other locations) encrypted USB keys with important things I don't want to lose. @Harper good idea on making it part of something larger. Shed layers as needed. There is lots of info at Listening to Katrina, from someone who went through it. A good series of steps is listed here.

Realistically in my area, I won't be dealing with public transportation, homeless shelters, or running/climbing/swimming.

4. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    YES definitely, those little string type back backs i see kids carrying everywhere could be ideal too.

5. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    No offense, but "realistically" it really does matter, and it can happen, because it had happened to me.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  6. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree, tho. You are probably fine if you never have to leave your area, and the worst doesnt happen. Thats not what i personally prepare for.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  7. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks allot!

8. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I also keep a set of back up documents at my parents house just in case I have to start over from nothing. At least I would have a copy of important papers if I went home one day to find my house burnt to the ground.

I like the modular approach to, very good idea @Harper !

Lichen, Guttersnipe and Harper like this.
  9. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Loss sucks, and scanned documents (retrievable via USB, email, etc) and pictures can make things easier. Cash and credit cards probably would help, too.

10. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, your panic bag concept is what I actually envision when I think of my own personal bug out bag. I actually can't envision a single scenario where I take the wife, child, and dog off to a cave and try to make a go of it with a smattering of bushcrafty, survival supplies. However, I can think of a score of reasons I'd need to bug out to the first, safe hotel I can find.

Electronic copies of your life documents are very important. Having ready physical access to life documents is important too. Aside from less than a dozen print or canvas pictures my family has in the home, everything is on a combination of Dropbox and Google Photos. Life documents are all saved on clouds as well as electronic medium that I can physically control. Periodically, I back up the Dropbox (which is an automated backup) to a secured external hard drive (which is actually not easy!).

For me in a panic:

Communications
    Powering Methods for Electronics
    Navigation Tools (map, GPS, compass)
    Cash & Credit Cards
    Defensive Weapon
    Illumination
    Life Documents (deeds, wills, policies, licenses, permits, certificates) preferably physical but also electronic copies
    First Aid, Trauma, and Medical "Stuff" for other Acute and Chronic Needs (although this is still a fairly small supply of goods)
    Overnight Hygiene Gear
    Overnight Clothes (this is my shortcoming)
    Knife, Multitool, & Smattering of Survival-Oriented Gear

Attached is a pic of my at home backups.

Attached Files:

11. SierraSix

SierraSix Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Something for everyone to keep in mind regarding USB drives and small memory cards. They are not 100% reliable just because they have no moving parts. The 10 year life that most makers advertise is based on that drive staying in a climate controlled computer friendly environment. Extreme swings in heat, cold, or humidity such as experienced sitting in a bag in a car trunk will degrade the USB rather quickly. Drives have been known to give up the ghost in a matter of weeks when exposed to harsh environments. If it gets wet, it's pretty much like your cell phone. Kiss it goodbye.

I'm not saying don't use one. But have multiple backups and assume several of them will fail. I have friends in the photo business who keep at least three backups of all their work. One local storage, one in the cloud, and one offsite, like a portable drive in a safe deposit box for example. Since we are talking about our personal documents, a set of hard copies in a waterproof container would be an a good fourth copy.

Just some food for thought.

12. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    My EDC is my panic bag ,
    I'm too old to be running , and I'd rather face down aggression than give them my back .
    Better yet, use good sense and avoid aggression . I have a small scope in my bag for viewing the way ahead especially in unfamiliar environments .

Good practice (in public) I believe is to weigh one's environment, look for exits, and practice some paranoia .
    Learn to read people ,and avoid places aggressive people can potentially be a problem .
    Not all events turn for the worst but life is not predictable .
    Having been in several serious situations , I have avoided many more being prepared for the worst.
    My bag contains all I need for getting home from where ever I happen to be , which can take from a few hours to several days in any kind of weather . I adjust as seasons change.
    No one likes the idea of potentially being a target however , if you tend to wear expensive stuff for people to notice, your a target .
    Being that water is heavy ,I cary bladders that I can fill the moment I am aware there is a problem along with a filter for purifying water along the way. Ideally one might build a fire and boil water , however taking the time to do that may not be wise at the moment. I also cary a coffee filter for pre filtering the water ,thereby extending the filters capacity.
    If a fire is important I use the most available method of doing the job rather then using up my emergency resources . Bow drill over using up matches.
    First aid and meds tourniquets and closures , Chances are if it is a serious event injuries are possible ,either to ones self or others .
    One bandage does not cover all that can occur. but obviously yo can't haul a whole ER with you either .
    Some have said Not to cary stuff you are not trained for , I disagree .
    I have been events that the trained personnel had used up their supplies, and having it to hand them made the difference .

A cheap simple cammo poncho can be a life saver , it can cover both you and your bag and retain your heat in bad weather simply by hunkering down .
    Most of all give your self a test and go out with your gear and prove your self . It's worth it .

13. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anything involving help from state or local authorities is going to be very prejudiced against sharps, anything that goes bang, and even large bags.

If you want to keep a small bag, it should be ok. One thing that you will generally be allowed to keep is medicine. A few pill bottles might go a long way.

Plan, Train, then Kit is more efficient than a general Kit, planning enroute, and learning in a after action report. So have a plan. When I travel overseas my minimum approach is to always have enough cash on me to get to the next large population center.

14. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I like this thread full of good ideas and info. I just realized The saw I have has advantages I didn't think of. The ability to cut metal is an advantage in a disaster. It's the mossy oak folding saw with three blades. Hack saw being one of them. I haven't used it yet. But I'm happy to have it none the less. The other two are aggressive wood and medium. I use the medium for wood working.
    Cheers Jim

15. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    if you panic youve already lost id change the name.................

Guttersnipe likes this.
  16. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not to be that annoying guy, but my opinion is that my first priority is to maintain my health and fitness. Not requiring daily meds is a huge advantage in any bug out type scenario, and the physical ability to run, jump, and fight if necessary may prove "handy".
    So by all means plan and prepare, but don't forget that diet and exercise now, today, may prove to be the most important factors in your survival.

17. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey, so just to throw it out there I'm with you on the fitness angle. Spiritual salvation, psychology, and physical fitness are key to surviving anything. I would say those are seconded only by financial preparedness and family cohesiveness. However, and just as an example, I take lisinopril 10mg daily for the management of (hereditary) hypertension, and I'm in really good shape. In fact, at that dose, my BP is actually lower than it was 20 years ago, but diet and exercise alone won't fix everything. Sometimes you're just born to have it!

It seems I remember a scene in the movie Ensign Pulver with a big muscular guy saying he didn't believe in medicine and that exercise fixed everything. I believe he passed out during the surgery scene! Good movie.

THRsucks and Ptpalpha like this.
  18. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    That is correct! And no, the name stays, lol.

That is the basic concept of it. You are going to probably not have everything you need when things go upside down, you are most definitely going to make mistakes, there will be losses. Gear eventually fails, and falls apart. It can get lost stolen or confiscated, but having the information and a constant contingency plan to back that up is what can get you thru.

Having everything you need is great! But that is not what I am planning for. The safest plan to me is having the means to provide all my needs and that is primarily mental/psychological/physical and information based.

Having a knife is great! Knowing exactly how to make one is better...

Having a shotgun is great! Knowing how to build a slam fire one from 3/4 inch inside diameter plumbing pipe is even better...

Building a faraday cage to protect your electronics is great! Knowing that you can put your electronics in a microwave to protect them from EMFs is even better....

Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face. -mike tyson

That is what the panic bag is, its for when you get hit in the face.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    ArkansasFan likes this.
  19. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Standard issue panic bag!

image.jpeg

NJStricker and THRsucks like this.
  20. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    That is basically it!!!! Hahahahhahaha

City Bushcrafter likes this.
  21. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    I kind of look at my gear from a medical standpoint. The EDC is like CPR, the BOB or inch and a vehicle to keep it in is like an Ambulance, and a good bug out location is like a hospital. Things arent good but life is being sustained. The panic bag however, is advanced life support. Its about what you can know and reference, not about how much you have or can carry. Its about being smarter and more adaptable, and faster to the punch when the defecation hits the ocillaction.

22. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    The situation dictates the rules. We all have probably seen what happened during major disasters like hurricane katrina. I watched videos on what happened at walmart, cops looting right next to everyone else.

Many people will be acting/or reacting in this manner, and if the situation is bad enough the "rules" change.

If you have the skills the information and a few choice tools you can gain the means very quickly.

Having solar panels is great, knowing where to find them is better...

Similar to a bushcrafter in a wilderness environment, actually knowing where to find the things you need in terms of flora and fauna are of primary importance.

In the city environment, the same type of thing can apply. Knowing where to find the things you need and the routes you need to take to avoid any resistance is one of the goals i have for any "survival auditing" i happen to do.

Maps of local areas with critical infrastructure is the first types of information i try to find. If I know where the fire department is, and I know that massive flooding could get between I and them the risk for a fire spreading uncontrollably to my area is high. You get my drift. :)