The Persian Incursion

Discussion in 'Sargent Edged Tools' started by LostViking, May 2, 2018.

1. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Edit to add;
    If anyone has Persian content, photos, or feedback. Please feel free to add it.

Life on a Curve.

This knife popped up on the Trade Blanket a short while ago. From what I understand. It is a collaboration between Brian and Calafia666 whose business is called First People's Tools.

When most Sargent Edged Tools hit the blanket. They're gone before I even see them. Or they go so high, I pass out from lack of oxygen. This one hung around long enough for me to ponder it a bit. And then snap it up.

It is my first SET. And as you will notice, it doesn't have many straight lines. With the possible exception of the Front Country Tip.

Having spent some time out west. I'm always a bit amused about the differences between front and back. In Colorado, it was the Front Range and the Western Slope. It's almost like a longitudinal Mason-Dixon Line.

Brian described naming this variation of the Persian as Front Country. Because he docked the point a bit from the original. Presumably to add some strength for less altruistic edged endeavors, that might occur in the Front Country. I believe he came up with that as he was exiting the wild Back Country and returning to civilization. The irony of the word civilization is not lost on me. But that deserves it's own thread.

As he mentioned elsewhere. Brian and I go back quite a ways. He mentored me on the build and materials of my first custom knife purchase way back when. We had a lot of fun back then.
    Life in general seemed much less serious.

I haven't had much interaction with Calafia666. But a quick search reveals the man knows his junk. He appears to be a very savvy woodsman.

So when a known maker with a great history, and his own solid set of outdoor skills, and another avid outdoorsman join forces to make a knife. It was a no brainer for me. After a brief bit of research. "I'll take it" was posted.

My Front Country Persian arrived late last week.

Yesterday, the weather finally broke. It started out above freezing, and hit 61F. About perfect for a woods romp. So I decided to give the knife a test run.

This winter was long here in the Northern Adirondacks. There is still snow in my yard and a lot more in the high country. It depleted almost all of my fun wood, kindling, and everything else associated with keeping warm in waist deep snow at -10F.

So this was sort a scouting mission. To see what nature had provided me for this season's activities. I posted this shot. Not for it's artistic value. It actually kind of sucks. But to show that shadow. It's something I rarely see up here. It meant the sun was out. Rare indeed.
    [​IMG]

I envy folks in warmer, dryer, climates. But then I realize, they probably can't have fires a lot of the time because of the dryness. So I guess it's a wash.

In searching for some inner bark for tinder, I inadvertently destroyed someone's home.
    [​IMG]

It actually cracks me up a bit when folks say they were alone in the woods. That couldn't be further from the truth. There might not be other people. But there is always a lot of other inhabitants.

Here is another example of some critter most folks never see or think about. Doing its thing in total seclusion.
    [​IMG]

This is what remains of a rather large yellow jacket nest from last summer. I saw it last fall. It was huge.
    [​IMG]

We have had some serious wind events this spring. I found this about 50 feet from the original nest.
    [​IMG]

As suddenly as it arrived. The sun was gone again. You could feel the air change. It went from warm and dry, to cool and damp, in a matter of minutes. Now this is more like normal!

Everyone always sees the fall as fire season. But at times, spring can actually be drier. So care must be taken. I was giving that some consideration as I prepped for a fire. I played around to see how it slices. The high Scandi grind eats wood.
    [​IMG]

The Persian came wrapped in a nice, compact, kydex rig.
    It rides high and tight. Keeping the knife close to the body. It snaps in with a positive click. Retention is good. But it clicks back out without a tug of war. Nicely done. Sorry, no photos of the Sheath, maybe on the next outing.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  2. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    With the skies getting increasingly darker. I picked up the pace a bit with the fire making.
    [​IMG]

The Persian is very controlable in wood. It only requires a light pressure and it's shaving away. For the record. I like elliptical blades.
    [​IMG]

It pretty much does what you tell it to do. Is that a sexy looking blade or what?
    [​IMG]

3. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpg

You were lucky I already have this one... I was on that thread like a toddler chasing a puppy

4. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    I had some drier cherry already split. So I built an upside down fire. I have come to really like these.

I split some rounds of Maple that were cut last fall, but buried under the snow for the winter. I used them as my two base layers. Added the drier cherry on top of that. Then built my fire above that.

I had planned on just using my steel and what I had scavenged for my fire. I had bark, some punky inner wood, that I thought would catch a spark well, and all the curls and feathers I had done. But you'll notice those funny wet dots on the spine of the knife.
    [​IMG]

Not knowing wethere this was going to turn into a full blown rain event or not. I caved, and used a 6" long pieces of jute twine. Cut in half and fluffed up, to expedite the process. It all caught on the second strike of the steel. It was touch and go for a bit. And the drizzle wasn't helping my fledgling fire.
    [​IMG]

So I improvised a small roof over the main part of the fire. Hoping to keep the rain at bay until It had enough heat to do its thing.
    [​IMG]

Soon enough we were off and running. I added some smaller twigs and branches to fend off the rain, and generate enough heat to catch the bigger stuff.
    [​IMG]

Here it is a little further along. With everything falling in on itself nicely.
    [​IMG]

5. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Yes indeedy, I was quite surprised it hung out there as long as I did.

6. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It’s not your typical bush knife and technically isn’t a SET. People probably arnt sold on the curved handle but if you notice it meets all mors criteria for a good bush knife

7. fabavery

fabavery Tracker

Blog Posts:
  8. tashunka witko

tashunka witko Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I keep looking at this knife I’m going to have to own one. I didn’t really like it at first, but it’s growing on me. I love the blade shape, up in the air about handle shape. I figure it’s just fine. Nice one.

9. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    The fire safely underway.
    I really have come to love these fires. They allow much more leeway when it comes to wet wood. Unlike a traditional tipi type fire with wet wood. You don't get near as much smoke. The heat from the fire on top boils off the water before the logs below catch fire.
    [​IMG]

Plus, if you do get rained out. It's sitting there waiting to go for the next time. Just top it off and start over. I use these a lot in the winter too. Just with a bigger platform for support on the snow. I have come to call this "The Drinking Man's Fire" Because once you get it going. It's pretty much maintenance free. And they seem more wood efficient than your typical fire.

So with my fire going well. I had some more time to play around with this new toy. I like it.
    [​IMG]

Before I headed out. I used it in the kitchen for a few meals. It handled dicing frozen bacon slices with ease. It's not the best onion slicer. But it still does a reasonable job. And it dices them very well.

The fit and finish is excellent. A fingernail drag over the spine/micarta junctions is seamless. The plunge lines and grinds are spot on too.

It has been on my belt as an everyday carry for a few days now. The Nitro V is new to me. But from what I have read on it. It should make me happy. AEB-L on steriods, but sharpens like 01. What's not to like there?

So for the forseeable future. I'll be living life on the curve.
    [​IMG]

buckfynn, jasam, IAOutdoors and 22 others like this.
  10. LostViking

Blog Posts:

Funny you should mention both of those points.

First, yes I agree. It technically isn't a Sargent. I already see it as a gateway knife to another perhaps authentic SET knife or two or three. Much to my bride's dismay.

If this is any indication of the level of craftsmanship that goes into a SET. I can only kick myself for not jumping on this bandwagon sooner. This is just one beautiful working knife. You could actually feel the grip increase as the slabs took on some water. Very cool.

I also like that Brian has some non scandi examples out there. Sometimes I like other grinds. His latest photos did nothing more than induce a Pavlovian drool in me.

As to the blade shape. I actually thought the same thing. I overlaid it on top of James Andal's Canadian Forest Tool. The blade profiles are actually quite similar. And James is a friend and follower of Mors' design philosophy.

I'll try and get some comparison photos up over time here.

The curved handle seemd at once familiar to me, I had and used a Schrade Sharpfinger a lot in my youth. I should post up a shot of these two together as well. The Sharpfinger has a well deserved reputation among hunters and trappers.

11. LostViking

Blog Posts:
  12. LostViking

Blog Posts:

This probably isn't going to help your situation any. But here goes.

Once I had the fire going. I had time to sit and fondle this knife. The whole package is quite pleasing to the hand. The curved spine/handle allows for many comfortable hand placements.

Thumb on top, just in front of the handle.
    Index finger out towards the tip.
    Those big front "Brake Line Flares" offer up nice indexing point for your thumb when the knife is oriented horizontally either left or right facing. As good or better than the scallops that seem to be becoming prevalent on handles these days.

With the knife inverted and the blade facing up. The thumb rests naturally in the curve at the end of the handle. This is a weak spot in many knives, and comes in real handy when opening up a critter or working on something upward in a vertical direction toward your line of vision instead of away from it.

It feels great in the cross lever chest pull position.

It also feels quite natural in any of the common defensive hand positions.

It's a knife that just begs to be held. It has a slight handle heavy bias. Roughly just aft of the halfway point between the two flares. You can index it almost instantly with closed eyes.

I'm obviously still in the honeymoon phase. But I see a lot of promise in this one. Tough, but nimble. A lot of knife in a compact package.

13. ripcurlksm

ripcurlksm Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  14. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Fun stuff. I almost jumped on that one myself. I keep telling myself I can’t buy them all!!!
    That’s a badass knife for sure and I’m glad you’re enjoying it!
    This is mine but I haven’t used it yet. F74DE559-D3AF-4AF2-A9B5-70E1C809CD9D.jpeg

15. JollyRoger3

JollyRoger3 Guide

Blog Posts:
    This was Damien’s first 550 over hemp wrap. I love it. It is a cherished possession. It is an awesome bush knife and equally awesome carry blade.

4C503A90-B88C-497D-8982-C0B4F8625A4C.jpeg 2BB506DB-55C0-456B-ABAF-7C907C545751.jpeg 6B07A277-7A06-4461-8ABD-2F8901D14BEC.jpeg 7965B5C5-ABE1-4443-824C-1E0DBCB81999.jpeg 0B0A06E1-244E-4E6F-9EDC-B437394FA13B.jpeg

16. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    VanGo, LostViking, Jim L. and 3 others like this.
  17. JollyRoger3

JollyRoger3 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well, thank you!

18. LostViking

Blog Posts:

That is an impressive piece of architecture right there!

19. Calafia666

Calafia666 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow what a great review! I really appreciate the love guys. There was a lot of sweat and tears in the first batch. Even more to come. Brian’s support means more than he knows.

The knife was primarily designed as a self defense style knife with lots of utility. The handle shape lends itself to a reverse grip but does well in a pinch grip too.

The Front Country is more utility and less “stabby”. I really like a good tip on my knives, I feel it helps me a bit more with fireboards and smaller carving tasks.

Really appreciate it again guys! I hope to have more done soon, work sometimes gets in the way.

20. Sargent

Sargent Bushwhacker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Can't thank you enough brother. I'll give a better reply when I get home.

ArmyMacE, ripcurlksm, VanGo and 7 others like this.
  21. Buckhenry

Buckhenry Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    These look great,I might have to keep my eye out for one.

22. JollyRoger3

JollyRoger3 Guide

Blog Posts:
    @LostViking
    How rude of me not to comment on the very excellent review. Great pictures as well, sir.

23. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    I didn't get rude. I got "Value Added" no worries and thanks!

24. LostViking

Blog Posts:
  25. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    For size reference,
    [​IMG]

26. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I cant get enough of the pictures of this knife. I WILL have one of these some day. Sigh....

27. LostViking

Blog Posts:
  28. fabavery

fabavery Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did a little IWB minimal kydex for the Persian. Digging the rugged utility and quick access!

AA1357F2-35FA-4F0A-AC6A-DD29830A9613.jpeg

Luzster, ArmyMacE, rsnurkle and 4 others like this.
  29. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  30. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    @Primordial

Went over and read your other thread. Excellent stuff sir. Simply excellent.

Nice to see the Persian rocking in the Primitive World.