1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Place: Our cabin in Missouri"

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Dadio, May 3, 2014.

1. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It's been a rough week here with a loved one in the hospital. It's amazing how worn out you can get even when it isn't you getting the care! But it is what you do for family, and they would do the same.

So, no going out to the place this weekend either. I did pick up some wood for trim and some odds and ends, and started something I've been thinking about for a long time. The spot where the two front windows comes together will be a natural focus point of the build and I wanted to give that some extra effort. Here's what I came up with:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    2Scoops likes this.
  2. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very cool. That'll be a nice addition.

3. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Momio, my son and his wife and I ran out to the place this morning. What a beautiful day! Sunny, cool, crisp - all the things I love about Fall. We split up the tasks for the day with my son and daughter in law tackling the closet walls and Momio and I working to wrap up the ceiling insulation and installing a countertop. It was 43 degrees when we got there, but the insulation we had put in earlier really showed its effectiveness as the temp shot up to a comfortable 60 in just a few minutes running a Mr Buddy propane heater and an electric space heater off the generator. We actually shut them off to keep from getting too hot, and that was a first.

The "nothing true and square" part of the cabin really slowed things up, requiring a couple starts and stops from the young couple. It came into play for Momio and myself as well, particularly when installing the countertop. I went with a standard, off the shelf laminate countertop both for ease of installation and ease of sanitation - I do like the ability to spray a little bleach water on a counter after processing game, and my goal is to cut up at least one deer on that counter this year. I went with a light color to keep the kitchen from being a dark hole under the loft. Pretty pleased with the results (sorry for the crooked, fuzzy photo):

[​IMG]

Not all was work, though, as my daughter in law and I took a short walk in the woods.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The leaves are starting to turn. The prettiest right now are the poison ivy leaves, which are a deep scarlet. Makes em easier to avoid! This weather made me more anxious to get out. I've got Columbus Day off in a little over a week.... Hmmmm.....

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  4. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Just to clarify: I'll add some more structure below and supporting the countertop and include some shelving there, then simple shelves on either side of the little window. I'll use the wrought hooks from Skab to the shelf supports to give a place to hang utensils and pans or something.

It it was nice to store the sheet and stick goods up in the loft and free up the main room a bit. Having that counter as a place to prepare food is a real improvement. I think I will move the hutch in front of the newly constructed closet wall. That would let me put the table and chairs in the kitchen.

It's coming together, Folks!

5. sons of scotland

sons of scotland Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i get hooked on these types of threads, awesome. :dblthumb:

6. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Another beautiful and useful day at the place. October and April are, to me, the perfect months of the year in Missouri, and today met that expectation. Cool but not cold, warm but not hot. We managed to take our eyes off the autumn colors long enough to get some things done - some more interior work, mowing, cutting firewood, and making a split log bench. We ran down an alternate route because we wanted to stop by an Amish (Mennonite, actually) bulk foods store to stock up on my favorite tea and a few odds and ends. I buy that tea loose and by the pound, drink about a quart or so pretty much every day, and that pound lasts me three or four months. Good stuff, and much cheaper this way than by the box. Some shots of a stunning morning:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, enough of that.

The splitwood bench. Earlier this year one of my nephews came down to help out at the cabin and we cut down a large white oak. I had saved a section for this very purpose, and today I got to try my hand at splitting it with some wooden wedges. I cut four wedges, and ended up needing only two. This is one of those tasks that seems (at least to me) much harder than it actually turned out being. I started the split but just cutting into the corner of the log with an axe. The photos are pretty self explanatory:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the inside, I fitted the carved piece I have been working on to its spot between the two salvaged windows;
    [​IMG]

We added some more structure to the countertop as well. I'll finish that off with some shelves and a spot for a laundry sink that will empty into a five gallon bucket. Will either leave the shelves exposed, or cover with a curtain, or build some doors out of the bead board - just haven't decided yet. I've also got shelves to build on either side of the little countertop window, and some other details there. We moved furniture around and swept up the place - Momio is liking it more each time. We made plans to spend a weekend out there in a couple weeks. That will be Momio's first night out there. I think we will have fun.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  7. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Man that's a lot of open country. I'd have to learn to shoot better if I lived out there, lol.

8. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Yep, flat shooting rifles come in handy when hunting bean fields!

9. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    This was ladder building day! My daughter and I headed down to the cabin this morning for some daddy-daughter time. She's a senior in college and hasn't been around a ton to help out (and, well, it's not truly her thing) so I was glad to get the chance to show off the improvements and spend some time with her.

First off, it was cool, if not cold this morning, so a fire was in order. Also, we were at the cabin, so a fire was in order! I split up some scrap and had her practice making shavings, explained the benefit of a good base, and had her light it up. She had a nice fire going in no time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on the list: stripping the bark off the trunk of that walnut I cut a few weeks back. Bec and I took turns using the draw knife to cut it off. It's harder work than it looks, but we got the job done.
    [​IMG]

The log splitting went so well last time that I decided to try it again. Worked well, maybe better than last time, but one of the wedges popped out and nailed me on a knuckle. Seems I can't get by without at least one injury. We pressed ahead and split the trunk to form the two rails of the ladder, then took a break for some first aid and, more importantly, to get Bec a couple marshmallows.
    [​IMG]

Back to the ladder. I cut some two foot sections off the top portion of the trunk, split those in two to make six rungs, and then drug one of the rails inside to mark and cut for length. We cut the opposite rail the same length and marked off for 16" spacing between the rungs. I squared off the rungs (they're not round, so "rungs" might be inappropriate, but whatever.)
    [​IMG]

Back inside, I placed each rung where it would go, made some layout marks on the rails, used the Laplander to cut the slots and my Grifflore to chisel out some slots to receive the rungs. The original plan was to lash the rungs and rails together but when I did the first one I knew I wouldn't be pleased with how it performed or looked, so I resorted to 2.5 inch star drive screws. Not very rustic, but I didn't want to take chances with security.
    [​IMG]

I completed three like that, and then when I tested it out they had a lot of give in them - they were twisting from the torque when your foot hit the outside edge. That wouldn't do, so I widened the slots to allow me to turn the rungs flat. I'm making this up as I go so some flexibility is a good thing! I do like the results, though.
    [​IMG]

A couple other shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pushme-pullyou pot hook, AKA, a mistake corrected:
    [​IMG]

As always, thanks for reading!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  10. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    A little better shot of the finished product
    [​IMG]

11. mortonm

mortonm Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's a sweet ladder!

12. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    The last carving for the trim piece between the windows
    [​IMG]

13. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    A before and after pic of the same part of the cabin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kacie likes this.
  14. sons of scotland

Blog Posts:
  15. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Come far.......Nice job.

16. Gascozark

Gascozark Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey Dadio! I read the whole thread and really admire the progress and improvements that you've made to your cabin. It really looks nice inside.
    You can't be too terribly far away from me. I'm about 30 minutes or so southeast of the lake, south of Richland.

17. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Glad you enjoyed the thread! It's been a ton of work but it is getting there.

18. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Missing my cabin. Been over a month since we've been there.

19. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    The 'space toilet' arrived today, and I ran out at lunch and picked up the components of a battery source power system (deep cycle battery, smart charger, 12v power outlets, USB chargers to go with an inverter I already have). I'll post photos of the finished product later, as well as the Laveo Dry Flush later. Expensive day, but necessary.

20. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Momio and I took a well deserved break (particularly well deserved by her) at the place this weekend. It was her first overnight out there. We didn't "do" much, really, and that's the point, isn't it? We installed the space toilet, which amounted basically to taking it out of the shipping box, and we unpacked and reorganized the stuff in the storage shelves, and I did a bit of weedeating and straightening up the fire circle and benches. We also figured out what could come back home, as things tend to make one-way trips out there. I had intended on putting together and putting up a two man leaning stand, but when push came to shove I let that task wait. Momio was enjoying herself quite a bit by basically doing not much, letting some of the recent stressors go for a while. No need to risk that.

So, lots of photos. (Those of you who follow me on Instagram, well, you'll see these again over the coming week!) Hope you enjoy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Update continued from previous page

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  22. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had rained the last couple days, a slow, steady soaking rain that left my firewood wet (a wood shed is on the "when you get around to it" list). I split some wood and made feathersticks and fine kindling, but not enough, and getting the fire started took some effort but was eventually successful. The homemade hook had been in the cabin when we bought the place and makes for a perfect tool to move limbs and logs around. Once you finally establish a bed of coals the fire can be hot enough to dry out the new wood you throw on it.

This week was essentially a little vacation and the closest we've come yet to using the land and cabin as we intended. Momio truly relaxed and became a bit more "her" than she has been since her mother took a turn for the worse. Neither of us would have it any other way, but family obligations can take a toll on you physically and mentally. This did a bit to repair it.

Next weekend my son and I will stay at the cabin, putting up the deer stand we didn't get to this week and basically just getting in some woods time. We spent years from Tiger through Eagle Scout spending basically a weekend a month camping, plus family trips, so it's in our blood at this point. More to come next week.

As always, thanks for reading!

23. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What kind of pouch is this?

24. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Spanish Mauser, I think. A buddy gave it to me.

25. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hedge apples keep spiders away....or so I have been told(?)...leave a couple in the cabin.

Great pic's......Thanks for posting.

26. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    I forgot to report on the battery pack! Space was tight on this trip so instead of bringing the dolly with the pieces attached I just pulled the deep cycle battery, twin power ports aka cigarette lighter ports, USB cell/iPad charger and small inverter. I purchased a LED light bulb with reported 65 watt equivalency that drew less than 10 watts for use as the main light, which is simply a utility clamp light.

The system worked great. I ran a couple kerosene lamps for the heat as well as light, but they really don't add much. We clipped the inverter to the terminals and plugged in the clip lamp, aimed it toward the white ceiling and it lit the place up. In the closet/bathroom we attached two cheap tap lights running off of AA batteries and they worked fine. Used the battery to run the light, charge phones, and even run a small DVD player and screen in the evening.

Things to work on: we could use some light right over the countertop. I'm thinking of just getting another clamp light/LED bulb combo and running the cord along the closet door to the inverter. That's the easiest and least expensive option. Also thinking of looking into 12 volt DC lighting as that would get rid of the power loss from the inverter as well as the noise of its fan. And I need to get a gauge that will let me know the depth of discharge from the battery. Ultimately I'll look into some solar panels to charge a dedicated bank of batteries, and/or just get line power run to the cabin.

Overall, we are pleased with the setup. Gives us power for the cabin as well as reliable, quiet backup for home if we have an outage. Total cost on this system was right around $160, most of which was about $100 for the battery itself. I've got some photos of the components that I'll post later.

27. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was bare wire, so I attached these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post photos of the inverter and the whole thing put together here later.

28. hillst1

hillst1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  29. HardBall

HardBall Basket of Deplorable Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Really cool stuff, Dadio...thanks for sharing!

30. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    My son met me out at the place for the weekend. He was married in the spring and lives in Lawrence, KS now, which is pretty tough for a guy with three degrees from Mizzou, but I try to encourage the outlaw in him when he comes back.

In any case, we just basically hung out, talked a bit, cooked and ate some grub and used the cabin for a brief respite from everyday life. We also assembled and hung one treestand and moved another down a hill, across a creekbed and hung it to a tree on the other side. Nothing earth shattering, but lots of photos. Hope you enjoy them!

The Griffith Knives Grifflore. I really like this blade.
    [​IMG]

My son's Wilderforge:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued...

31. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Nov 8 update continued from previous page.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The view from the new stand
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  32. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Before my son got there I walked down the lane to open the gates for him.
    [​IMG]

I have no idea what this plant is with the small clusters of pink/red berries. (Edit: per Iz, it is Buck Brush.) They don't seem particularly popular with the wildlife, unlike all the raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and grapes I've planted!
    [​IMG]

This is the dominant rock type on the land here, and it is everywhere! It's a chert, or at least a silica type of rock. Usually chert is found within limestone beds but there's really little to no limestone on the place. I need to talk to a geologist!
    [​IMG]

The sun through autumn leaves is really spectacular. I could have filled a book with these types of shots!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  33. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut a dead limb of an Osage Orange and prepped it for the fire. Beautiful wood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading!

34. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great post Dadio ! Great pictures.

35. jstalljon

jstalljon Woods Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  36. sons of scotland

Blog Posts:
    man thats a great view from your deer stand, thanks for the update.

37. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you guys had a good time. We had fun too. Mostly just relaxed.

38. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Cashed in a whole lotta karma.......

My son and I headed to the cabin for some deer hunting and general kick back. It snowed early in that morning, not too much where we live but more significantly further south with what looked like a combination of ice and snow. Apparently it was a bit too much for the old oak in front of the cabin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Barely missed the cabin, but it actually escaped without a scratch.
    [​IMG]

I had debated whether to bring the chainsaw with us on this trip, but obviously it came in handy. We focused on getting rid of the small stuff as a buddy and I are planning on hanging out there some next week and we can cut it up then. A few more pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That wind from the west must have been pretty sporting:
    [​IMG]
    We figured out how to use a cell phone as a mobile hotspot, which is a mixed "improvement." The plan was to watch Gary Pinkle's last home game at Mizzou, but the connection wasn't really strong enough to stream the game onto my ipad so we listened to most of it by radio. My son spent much of the evening messing with the fire and sitting on the split log bench.

Hunting was successful in that it's always good to hang out quietly in the woods, and we saw deer, but nothing that we wanted to harvest for one reason or another. I took a doe for meat last weekend, so my tolerance for freezing in a tree is limited, but Zac hunted hard. We spooked several deer right next to the cabin, so we need to remember to go armed when answering the call of nature in the future.

We worked a bit on finishing the last of the insulation on the ceiling, and I hung some lights that use low watt LED bulbs to run off the battery system. I'm working out how to make a light switch that plugs into an inverter so that we can switch on and off the lights more easily. And I've pretty much decided to work on a small solar power system.

Thank you for reading!

39. TX-1948

TX-1948 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wow, that is indeed good karma....my first thought in looking at the picture was that it hit your cabin....sure glad it didn't....I had a similar experience last summer at my cabin...very strong winds "twisted" off the top 2/3 of a tree about the size of yours....it landed about 20 feet from my cabin....enjoy reading your post and following your progress....

40. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The cabin looks fantastic!! Well you have some good oak to burn for a while. Sure glad it missed the cabin.

41. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    My buddy Roy came up from Kentucky to spend Thanksgiving with us, and we ran out to the place for a couple days to take advantage of the mild weather. Of course, first on the agenda was taking care of the old oak that came down. I truly appreciate the enthusiastic labor of friends, particularly when tackling big jobs. My son and I had cleared most of the small branches earlier, but I needed help and advice to safely take care of the larger stuff. I cut all the easy stuff, then we stepped back and talked through the safest way to handle the more tricky parts. I'm sure this would have been no big deal to more experienced folks, but this was the largest tree I've cut up and I was supremely cautious about taking out limbs that were bearing weight.

I'm sure these patterns were related to some stressor on this tree, but there sure make for cool looking wood:

[​IMG]

Roy's F150 "Peavey Edition". I figured if we could be safer by turning the tree over, then why not do it? We later used it to move the largest portion of the trunk itself into position for some primo campfire seating.
    [​IMG]

Actually, now that it's gone, I'm happier with the yard. It seems more open to the woods and just, better, I guess. It was a lot of work but we got through it with nothing more serious than a bruise on a leg (not really even related to cutting up the tree) and that's the best part. The tree trunk is largely hollow and it is more useful as seating than as firewood, at least for the foreseeable future. As I was kicking upturned earth back in the hole where its roots were I spotted a pretty healthy looking field mouse who had taken up residence among what was left of the roots. As long as it stays out of the cabin, it can guard the yard for me, I guess.

Some random pics. A blurry shot of a bluebird. There were at least five of these guys flitting among the trees, and this one swooped nearby when I had the camera in hand. Nothing retouched on this other than a crop - they are that brilliant:
    [​IMG]

Some grub: The beginnings of some chicken and dirty rice in a dutch oven, and your basic burgers and bacon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roy practicing his ferro rod skills
    [​IMG]

And the ever popular implements of destruction shot. Some No-Name American, Gransfors, Wetterlings, Snow & Healey action. The Stihl got most of the job done, but these were welcome to the party anyway. By the way, I couldn't be more pleased with my little Stihl 251 - easy to start, no fuss no muss sawing machine. Money well spent.
    [​IMG]

Hmm, other gear reports: the Big Buddy got fitted with a hose to a 20 lb tank, but the weather was so warm we didn't use it much. The battery system works like a charm, runs the two LED overhead lights and provides charging capacity for the cell phones etc. We heat water in a 3 gallon stock pot for dishes and such, either on the campfire grill or on the Coleman stove inside. Water for tea or coffee comes from a cheap tea kettle. The toilet system works fine as well. The insulation in the ceiling is done except for some bits and pieces, and it looks pretty good just as is. Eventually I'll finish the ceiling with sheet rock but that will be a serious pain and I just don't have the inclination at present. Other than that, all that's left is some flooring, and I'm not in a hurry for that either. Sometime next year I'll probably add a full length deck to the cabin just for some more living area.

Ok, enough of that. I'll leave you with a shot of how the yard looks now, complete with a nice log for the campfire. Thanks again for reading!
    [​IMG]

42. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Forgot about this. As far as I can tell, only two of the pines we planted in the spring made it through, but it was 'plant and forget' in some tough spots. The two look healthy and made a good year's growth.

[​IMG]

I can't tell if the willows made it. When the bulldozer guy put in the lane he changed the flow of water so what used to be a constant wet spot dried up some, and that's where I had planted those willows. I'll wait and see what the spring brings.

Partway through the summer it looked like the river birches were thriving, but I couldn't pick them out from the weeds a couple weeks ago. I suspect they were topped by deer, which might lead to better root development.

If just a few of the trees make it, I'll be content. These were all bare root seedlings so if they do make it a year they should be set to make some big gains in the next couple years.

43. Kurt992

Kurt992 Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I just read through November's posts. Everything is looking great.

With reference to your lighting, I just added some LED bulbs around the house and garage. I got the 'daylight' style and they sure do brighten up the place. You are on the right track with them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  44. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I think it's a rule, buy land plant trees......and most everyone does.

When we first purchased our "Place", we did the tree planting as well.
    Wisconsin has a nursery system where you can purchase "bare root seedlings" of different kinds of trees very reasonable.

Bought a "Wildlife Mix"...100 pine, 100 variegated dogwood, and 100 crab apple....for like $60 bucks....back in 1990.
    Gonna guess there are maybe 30 trees still growing.....some of each.

Sadly, as we started building....many got destroyed as they turned out to be in the way.....and there was no "master plan".

The deer got many of the crabapple....and a few were not tall.....but had wide crowns.
    Got some pines as well.
    Deer will kill a lot of trees....doesn't help a root system in the is no foliage to make plant food.

I do like the natural look...so trees were not planed in nice groomed rows....but placed in areas that looked like they belong there.....seems you have done the same.

So even if I lost over 200 trees....the ones that are still here are big and thriving......

Pines on left side of drive were like 12" seedlings......LOL...grew some.
    Turkeys pass thruoff the ridge,...looking for grass hoppers in the fields.

[​IMG]

45. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Momio and I went up and finished off the last bits of insulation in the ceiling yesterday. We didn't have a lot of time but made the most of it. While I was up on a ladder, Momio was raking up the hundreds of small twigs from the tree that fell and tossing them in the fire circle. She also walked the lane and raked up some broken glass that got dug up from the dozer.

The battery powered lights were new to her and she was impressed with the amount of light they threw. I've got an old power box I used to use for our computer that has a separate switches for several outlets and I think I'll attach it to the wall and keep the overhead lights plugged in, then just plug it into the inverter and we will have the lights or chargers or fan on their own switches.

I'm going to start looking for a good source of native Missoui bamboo. I love the hazel hurdles folks in England use in their gardens, but I'm not sure Hazel would grow here or how long it would take to get a good coppice started. Bamboo would be great for those kinds of projects as well as lots of others, and I don't really care is the stand gets large, which is the general complaint people have about bamboo. Also on my planting list for nest year will be some yucca, again if I can find a good affordable source of some plants.

We we mocked up some trim to clean up the sight line where the walls and ceiling meet. It's a small thing but the unevenness of the line bugs me. Maybe it would not be a big deal to others but I know me, and I'll just feel better if I can get that straight. I've got a couple options for materials. Sounds like a good excuse to spend a weekend up there.

46. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great thread sir. Very cool to look through it all and follow along to see what you accomplish. Very inspiring. Keep it up!!!

47. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to say there's not much new cabin news. The plan was to head out today but the 40ish degree and rainy forecast doesn't sound too appealing for woods tramping. I saw a YouTube video of a simple and quick alternative to a shave horse that has caught my attention, so I'd love to cut down some wood and put that together.

Did get a new camera for Christmas! Well, camera body, actually. My old Nikon D60 had some nagging issues - a shutter release that had its own agenda and an on/off switch that stopped working years ago. Anyway, all my old lenses work with the new D5200 and it has a couple bells and whistles that I'd like to try, such as HDR and hi def video. So, these are photos around the house rather than the cabin, but I like them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  48. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Been missing my place too man. Been over a month since I've been there.

49. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I remember your first few posts a couple of years ago. I just came back and read it from start to finish. Great work! I hope to have a cabin of my own someday to spend time with my family.

BTW, we have a rocker just like yours, I bought it as a wedding present for my wife over 10 years ago.

50. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the compliment! I have always enjoyed these types of stories and lived a bit vicariously through them. This isn't Cache Creek or the shores of an Alaskan lake, just a couple of hills in south-central Missouri, but I hope folks find it entertaining.

Our 'regular' house is in a neighborhood in a small town about an hour away, but we are going out today to view another home on some small acreage that would cut my commute by about 15 minutes. Doesn't get me closer to the cabin, though. The place we are looking at has a nice sized pond and a large metal outbuilding/shop but would need quite a bit of work. It is unfinished new construction. Maybe the cabin was the opportunity for me to hone up my home building skills? I truly believe that God puts opportunity for growth in your path, and that those opportunities come around just in the right time. I know I spent 7 years in a job that I pretty much hated but that gave me the background I needed for my current job, which I pretty much love. Keep faith!

UPDATE: We decided to pass on that particular house, but it did push Momio into high gear to find another home. If or when we decide on one, I'll post that. It is possible it could have implications for The Place as well as, if we find the perfect place with some decent acreage I might put the cabin up for sale. Or not.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016