The poopoo hits the propeller, what is your specialty?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by THRsucks, Jun 25, 2018.

1. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    If a catastrophe happens, and it is prolonged, I wonder how many of us have considered the enormous amount of knowledge and skills it will take to survive a major calamity, and it's after shocks.

I was doing some thinking about this on and off for some time now. Especially for groups of people, if i belonged to such a group, what would my specialty be?

Of course this happens sort of naturally even on a camping trip, somone naturally assumes a leadership position (whether they know anything or not) and many people just do what they are comfortable and familiar with, if that is cooking, gathering firewood, the list goes on.

As far as my training and experience is concerned, major assets for me are my medical and trade skills. I have several others, but those are two good examples.

Finding others who have developed skills to a high degree that can cross train you is a tremendous added benefit, and it helps you to acknowledge the skills you lack.

What is your specialty? What is your trade and training and what tools do you need or have that fill that specific niche???

2. Gpschef

Gpschef Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Being chef and a diabetic for the last 42 years and being married to an ICU nurse, I don’t think I would survive long in a long term disaster! But while I can I would make some of the best food you’ll ever eat!

3. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Camp craft/building knots/rigging, foraging, fishing. Motors and electronics. Woodwork/carpentry, general local knowledge and navigation. I can sharpen a blade well enough to be useful. I would not be doing the cooking. That would be by popular consent. LOL.
    Cheers Jim

4. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was just having this conversation with my cousin (and prepping buddy.) In our little informal group, we all have trades or specialties. My cousin is a medic, my buddy is a builder, another is an electrical engineer, etc. Except me, I'm a Jack of all trades and Master of none. I can make and fix stuff. I can fight a little and shoot. I can grow stuff and know a bit of woods lore. I'm just the second string at it all.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

5. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'd feel pretty good about it myself. Our ancestors had to do it all. Sure they may have had a specialty. But a potter or a Smith still had to grow food. Tend animals and fix their homes. If your not a master at somthing. It takes you longer to achieve a result. If your a master at one thing only. If that thing has no relevance, then so do you. Not to mention when the question comes up. "Who can do this task." Your name is always on the list.
    Cheers Jim

6. jayclimber

jayclimber Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been actively pursuing this way of thinking for some time now via a Modern Minuteman prerogative!

Putting together a group of like minded individuals who share a common goal of preparing and protecting their families and looking out for each other and their respective neighborhoods and communities.

Within this group you get to cross train with each other to make everyone a better, more well rounded individual. Overall, this helps the group become better as a whole. My background as a climbing and wilderness guide gives me strong skills in group dynamics, medical, and logistics along with additional training in defensive and security measures. I've also been recently focusing on communications and information gathering and processing.

Currently the need is to be focusing more on the organic skills involving food and water storage, farming, tracking/trapping, and construction.

In the end, its kind of like the mountain men of the past who had to become the Jack of all trades and the master of a few!

7. Chris keating

Chris keating Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’d be in the kitchen as well as hunting trapping fishing. General muscle. I follow instructions very well. I also have enoug medical knowledge to be useful for sure.

8. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    ]
    With some training classes as expensive as they are it makes allot of sense to diversify and cross train multiple people. It is important to be a good note taker, and trainer. I am in Idaho currently and really need a group. Being new in town makes it a little difficult! I have been hanging out with allot of mormons lately, and it's interesting but i have not found more like minded people in one place in my life. Every man i have met has been a eagle scout, and very interested in preparedness. Good friends to have even if i never become a member.

9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I can do anything required. :14:

Doc., WILL, T. Pollock and 6 others like this.
  10. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hunting and repurposing. Along with cooking. joe

Doc., Primordial, T. Pollock and 3 others like this.
  11. renter6

renter6 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ditch digger. That's what good archeology will do me, I'm a madman with a shovel. If only I'd learned to knap a flint.

12. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Scout

Blog Posts:
    i know what you mean. im the same way, i know a thing or two about a thing or two. im a welder by trade, and have been researching colonial/ frontier style construction and steam power for a few years. thats something, i guess

13. CSM1970

CSM1970 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Blacksmithing until I run out of coal and/or propane. Still working on Plan B.

14. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am a jack of all trades and that is my specialty.
    I can produce and process food, have a wide range of basic bushcraft- and military skills, basic first aid knowledge and gear, quite handy and have a wide range of musclepowered tools and I have quite a bit of homesteading knowledge. An extended library too.
    And the people in the village know this. They regularly seek advice as it it, so I like to think they would consider me valuable.

15. pb0201

pb0201 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Specialization is for insects.

16. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    There's some good YouTube's on charcoal making. For smithing hardwoods burn hotter. Softwoods are more porus tend to be better for filtering water.
    Cheers Jim

17. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    conflict mediation

18. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Who are you kidding? You'd be the village jester.

19. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I think about this a little, too. Initially my "specialty" will be my map of wholesale grocery distribution centers. After that, I have wilderness first aid skills, can cook a little, can identify some edible plants, etc. I know how to make charcoal, how to distill alcohol, and how to build a large-size gravity water filter. I know where there are some solar panels just laying around, and I have some basic electrical skills as well. I know where to find a functioning water-driven mill.

My long-term survival goal would be to start and run a trading post. I have some good starting inventory for that ;).

20. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    general craft-iness, and teaching others how to do so. sharpening stuff, and teaching others how to do so. making fires, and teaching others how to do so. making spoons, ladles and spatulas, and teaching others how to do so. making and repairing leather stuff and teaching others how to do so. hunting, fishing, and teaching others how to do so. butchering warm blooded animals and cold-blooded ones, and teaching others how to do so. shooting, and teaching others how to do so. encouraging, and teaching others how to do so. and teaching the gospel ...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    THRsucks, Guttersnipe and central joe like this.
  21. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    That's my official title. But a guy has to pull his weight. I've found laughing makes me hungry. Not the reverse. LOL!
    Cheers Jim

THRsucks, Guttersnipe and central joe like this.
  22. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am a double EE (electrical engineer) and have extensive background in repairing and maintaining mechanical and electrical things, I owned a mechanical service business that my son now runs that includes some moderate home construction / remodeling so I have plenty of tools and enough knowledge to be dangerous. Have an advanced degree in biomedical engineering and work as a radiation physicist with emphasis on x-ray imaging that I would hope I will never need in an emergency. Hobbies over the last 45 years include backpacking, outdoor activities (bush crafting, fishing and hunting), woodworking and gardening / small scale farming including hydroponics.

23. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Jack of most trades but only master of one-deep sea shipboard command, bodes well for me ashore weather alone or with others.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    ManyHammers, Gumbi, bartman and 4 others like this.
  24. kid_couteau

kid_couteau Warrior Poet at Heart Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Knifemaking
    Leatherworking
    Metal lathe
    Milling machine
    first aid
    computer networking and repair
    HAM radio
    Solar
    Primitive skills
    Gun repair
    Electronics
    Small engine repair
    Odds and ends stuff

25. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Charcoal making isn't hard. Learned that at the kiln we (used to) build every year.
    Dropped out after some..... incompatible elements joined said group.

26. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    Archeology??? Sounds like you could definitely have an edge in terms of planning for infrastructure. "Madman with a shovel" hahaha. I bet that is accurate

renter6, Guttersnipe and central joe like this.
  27. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been getting very interested in wood gasification, heating up wood without oxygen (in a steel drum over a fire) produces gas that can be burned as a fuel source in a gasoline generator when fed into the carburetor. The other byproduct of this process is the wood in the container turns to charcoal for the fordge or other purposes.

28. blaid

blaid Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am a poor fisherman and never hunted in my life. But I'm a quick learner and a hard worker and can jump in and be a team member as well as anyone. My woodcraft skills are pretty decent and I am fairly mechanical. Also, I have been a martial arts instructor and fitness trainer for 45 years so that could come in handy.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Guttersnipe, THRsucks and central joe like this.
  29. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Instead of digging up bodies you could be the one who buries them...leave no trace!

30. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Robert Heinlein. One of my favorites.

31. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    that thought did crpss my mind...but you went there. You really went there hahahaha.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  32. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just learned an amazing dish washing trick from a old sailor recently, he told me he placed all his dishes in a mesh bag and tossed them over board dragging them in the water with a rope! I could not help but marvel at that stroke of genius.

ManyHammers and Guttersnipe like this.
  33. DennisC

DennisC Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well if there are fuji photoprinters in need of repair post shtf I'm set, otherwise...

34. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m pretty good at drinking beer. ;)

Jack of all trades here. Some carpentry, woodworking, knifemaking, wine making.

THRsucks and Guttersnipe like this.
  35. Dogrobber

Dogrobber Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Per my name, I am very good at coming up with what is wanted/needed by wheeling, dealing, improvising.....or robbing a dog. Please note that robbing a dog is not illegal in dog rules.

36. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My specialty is that I'm good at a lot of things. Everyone that knows me personally has this crazy idea that I can fix anything that is broken... they are WRONG. My downfall is that I'm not excellent at anything and still have so much to learn about being self sufficient.

37. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can ride my bike with no handle-bars...
    :14:

38. dirt7

dirt7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Master lego builder, hair braider, decent cook, mediocre survival skills and I could probably clean an animal if I had to. I just know not to eat the odd colored stuff in the middle.

39. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's easy, try doing it with no seat on the post to.:4:

40. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student

Blog Posts:
    A positive attitude and ability to endure hardship without complaint.

Doc., Primordial, Mitch Ray and 4 others like this.
  41. pb0201

pb0201 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's funny! I love your avatar?nice truck.my dream is to build one like it,after I finish building the house that is!

Guttersnipe and THRsucks like this.
  42. pb0201

pb0201 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir,so very true!

BalsamFur, Guttersnipe and THRsucks like this.
  43. riverrunner

riverrunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm good at shutting the propeller off...

44. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    Every once in a while i do a little inventory of my personal skills and get painfully honest on where i need to improve, one major area for me that was lacking is mountaineering skills, including knots. So that has been what i have been working on lately, i have been carrying a length of paracord with me most days to practice when i have a little down time. A much more productive way to pass the time then candy crush. Having the internet as a reference whenever i need it has been very helpful for learning some of the more complicated knots. Another really soft area in my skills has been plant identification. I downloaded an app called "picture this" it works! It can identify a plant with your phone's camera! I have been purchasing falcon guides too, to use as field manuals for identifying plants , the quality of the falcon guides (available in many gas stations) has been impressive to say the least!

ManyHammers, WILL and Guttersnipe like this.
  45. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hope I am out of here pretty quickly.

THRsucks and Guttersnipe like this.
  46. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you.
    I built mine from 5 different trucks. Took the best of everything.
    She's a beast!

47. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1 for Heinlein.

48. Vilke

Vilke Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am trained as:

ASE certified master mechanic both auto and heavy truck
    (was) Nationally Registered EMT
    HAZMAT certified
    Search and Rescue Certified
    NRA Firearms Instructor
    General handy man
    Hunter
    Diver / Boat captain

I think that my skills allow me to trade labor if needed to get the needed things that I am lacking.

Guttersnipe and THRsucks like this.
  49. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've thought about society rebuilding after an EMP. Honestly, I think most Americans will be a huge survival liability, and job #1 would probably be simply out-surviving them. No doubt luck plays a part there, but I've many years of tactical training under my belt.

If I manage to usher my family through to the rebuilding stage, I'm a pretty handy dude. My biggest concern is food production. I've gotten pretty good at gardening, but to do such with only hand tools and still generate enough food to feed my family is a sobering thought. I think it could be done if it was my full time job. I've been rearing chickens for over a decade now, so that's a useful skill. I've worked at improving my hunting, trapping and fishing skills, but could stand to improve there. I'm decent at foraging in Florida.

My daughter is currently being trained in medicine, so she's handy to have around in medical emergencies. She's also pretty good at basic camp chores and tough as nails.

I have a good collection of old school non-electric tools and basic construction knowledge, so shelter is covered at a very rudimentary level.

I've wired my own solar system, but I'm only as good as available parts in that regard.

My dad was a master plumber and I worked for his company for years. Again, I'm only as good as available parts, and we'd probably be relegated to an outhouse/ septic system and bucket to the pond for water.

50. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Post apocalyptic event will prove the things that are really important .
    Fact of the matter, people have become dependent on electricity and electronics .
    Knowing how to fix these things and the sources that run them will be valuable barter .but this will only be valued among those that are already some what prepared .
    Electronic Surveillance will likely be the largest demand issue , seeing no-one wants to be a target .
    People with less resources are going to need water and food and medicines , and it is likely that they will not have any thing but physical labor to barter with.
    the problem is maintaining security if you engage in business .
    My skills , depending on available materials, range from; creation of things, to repairing most things, including stuff that was never intended to be repaired, simply because the parts were obsolete years ago .
    I have mix matched motor parts and made good running engines for commercial service ,build several cranes , and machine tools ,developed processes for production, and special tools for obsolete equipment . pneumatic ,hydraulic , electronic and machine tools . I use several welding skills plus black smithing to machine work, have yet to cast steel .
    I do aquaponics, run a plethora of heavy equipment, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    After reading the lists of others here ,I'm impressed with with those with shared interests and experience .

Guttersnipe and WILL like this.