The Satisfaction of Simple Good Habits

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Beach Hiker, May 14, 2019.

1. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I find the simple habits that smooth out the creases of life very satisfying.
    Knowing where my keys are. Having the knife when I need it. Ditto for flashlight and lighter. And so on.
    No point "having" all those things if I don't actually have them.
    It took me a long time to develop simple good habits. I can develop bad habits in no time.
    But I find -over time- that the extra energy and effort required to build good habits is very rewarding and satisfying.
    I am curious about your experiences, good or bad.

2. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just too bad cigarettes are so bad for you . I did so enjoy that first smoke of the day with a cup of coffee .
    Also I was 50 pounds lighter then , so no , I don’t feel a lot better since I stopped 10 or 12 years ago .

KFF, S.Decker, Quinlan and 18 others like this.
  3. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I now have a habit of watching the sky when boating. I turned into the path of a float plane on approach. He roared by 20 ft to starboard. Scared the crap out of me.
    Cheers Jim

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. oberKGBler

oberKGBler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I always have my keys, cellphone, wallet and knife in the same pockets. When ever I leave my home I tap on all these pockets to check if everything is there. Its just muscle memory now.

I do the dishes every morning before leaving for work to help the misses.

When ever I ride my bike I put on my left glove first, it´s some kind of sign for me to start focusing.

When ever I handle a gun it´s loaded ...even if I can see the empty chamber.

latvija, S.Decker, hdbeav and 24 others like this.
  5. Teeps

Teeps Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I remember things by making little songs or jingles or sayings...

Like righty tighty lefty loosey

But I have one for almost every thing I ever do.

6. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    That's what I like... the pocket taps.

fatcat55, S.Decker, hdbeav and 16 others like this.
  7. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Pocket taps here to. Keys, tactical folder, sak, wallet, and flashlight. Same pockets EVERY day. It even affects the clothes I buy... gotta have the right amount of pockets in the correct places!

Having a pocket knife in my front right pocket is probably my oldest habit... long before I had a need for a wallet or keys. Whenever I fly, after arriving at my destination my first stop is the nearest sporting goods carrying store to buy a relatively cheap pocket knife. It usually ends up in the hands of the rental car check-in guy or airport trash can.

fatcat55, S.Decker, hdbeav and 18 others like this.
  8. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    My mother had me carrying a handkerchief when I was a schoolboy - still do so today in town and country.

fatcat55, S.Decker, hdbeav and 13 others like this.
  9. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I still carry an emergency dime even though there is no pay phones within a 100 miles of me.

halo2, fatcat55, S.Decker and 23 others like this.
  10. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I was raised to put everything back where I got it. I don't even think about it anymore, I just do it. If I want the salt shaker, I know where it is or, at least, where it should be. My wife wasn't raised like I was. My keys go in a certain pocket. My pocketknife, handkerchief, my wallet all have their place.

fatcat55, S.Decker, Quinlan and 13 others like this.
  11. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    Yup. Me too. And I often have to repair my pockets.

12. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    I HATE ALL OF YOU! yes knife, zippo, pipe, tobacco,wallet , watch, keys, go to go. other than that? plumbers furnace..sure, rivet gun...no problem, 12" hand plain... why its right here somewhere. we just have to dig though the right barn or shed. whats that you say? well thats a plaster mixer. no i have never mixed plaster in my life, but by the good lord if i have to i got the tools to do it.

fatcat55, S.Decker, Quinlan and 16 others like this.
  13. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My wife gave me a small table top organizer for Christmas. Best investment yet! Prior to having it, my pocket goods would sit on a side table spread out for me to grab. The organizer has a couple of shelves & 3 compartments that fit my pocket stuff perfectly.

Two sets of keys. One for business, one for personal. Wallet, pocket flashlight, phone. Two pocket knives (one is an OTF auto). Handgun & two extra magazines. A bandanna & a lighter.

But yes, I agree with the OP. It's the little things in life that make it worthwhile. The habits and routines that make us who we are. For me, I have two habits I have done for years (aside from that first cup of java). I have always been the early riser, going into work before anyone else in the family. My first task when I get to work is to call my wife, wishing her a good day and letting her know that I love her. I now have expanded that to (once or twice a week) send a simple "Have a great day! Love ya!" text message to all of our children.

fatcat55, S.Decker, hdbeav and 16 others like this.
  14. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    That's so nice,

15. kisatchieman

kisatchieman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Always wear jeans with a watch pocket to carry my mini bic lighter and always carry my Leatherman supertool 300 in a sheath on my belt. So at a minimum I always have fire and a knife.

S.Decker, Quinlan, fixits and 7 others like this.
  16. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    and they are at least a quarter too. :)

17. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good to know but I'll stick with my EDC dime because a quarter won't fit in small screw head slots.;)

18. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Actually I’m not even sure a quarter is enough anymore. Sadly even slotted head screws are getting rare on new stuff. Philips and those combination slot and Philips (that don’t work well with either) seems to be the new normal in the global economy.

S.Decker, Quinlan, salty dog and 9 others like this.
  19. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am an absolute fanatic, organized to the nth ocd level. Always have been, my tool box is like a surgery tray, my storeroom "tells" me if something has been touched or moved, my freezer has lots of containers that are labeled, dated, and rotated, my spice cabinet is set by color and type, faced. Even my pants are sole source purchased with pockets excactly where and how I want them....it's a sickness, but a useful one. :)

First we had flat, Phillips, square drive. Then hex, then torx, then "tamper proof" torx, then inverted torx....sae, metric, British standard, now some weird triangle drive (that sucks and wants to strip out if it's torqued in) and now I'm seeing "tamper proof" versions of those too! My toolbox is the size of a minivan now....it never ends!!

riverjoe, S.Decker, Quinlan and 7 others like this.
  20. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Same here.
    A place for everything and everything in its place.
    I also need to have regular bedtimes in order to thrive. Holidays or vacations mess up my daily routine quite badly and I am always glad when regular life kicks in again.

As far as the bad habits go.... those are the easy ones to get! Breaking them takes a good deal more effort.
    I have a bad habit of eating, when I am bored or of becoming lethargic during prolonged times of inactivity. Unemployement or prolonged illness literally are killers to me.

S.Decker, Quinlan, CosmicJoke and 7 others like this.
  21. icemanx722

icemanx722 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I read once that it takes over two months for something to become a habit or automatic. I had never made our bed until my son passed away unexpectedly in our bed. I started doing it as an honor or memory sort of thing since he was cremated and we did not have a grave to visit. At first it was with labor to get through it as I would be talking to him and lamenting how much I missed him. Eventually it got easier and easier when it occurred that this was the very spot that his soul left his body and he met Jesus and now I enjoy making the bed very much. It is automatic and the first thing I do when I get out of bed.
    It starts the day off with something having been accomplished and heck, if I have a crappy day, at least I get to come home to a made bed.

VtBlackDog, S.Decker, hdbeav and 17 others like this.
  22. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I spend at least an hour per day looking for my glasses. I can't see up close with them, but I need them for distance. So I am always taking them off and laying them down, just for a moment, then I can't find them. About half the time, tho, I find them hanging from the neck of my T shirt, which is a very good place to put them. I just don't remember putting them there, and it's always the last place I look. When I empty my pockets of change, keys, knife, old screws and washers that I picked up, I just leave them in a pile on top of my dresser. They are gone by the next morning. My wife has scooped it all up and dumped it in a special bowl on the dresser where that stuff is supposed to go. Sometimes I find my glasses there too. That's a very good place to look if I need a couple of screws, washers, crimp connectors, .22 cartridges, etc. My problem is that I have a lot more bad habits than good ones.

Now my tool box is another thing. I know right where the allen wrenches are, and the files, and the plastic bottle full of electrical connectors. The screwdrivers, dikes, pliers, crescent wrench, and tape measure are always right where they belong. My Dad taught me to keep my tools picked up, and never leave them scattered around. That kept me alive and my butt from getting kicked in the Navy, too. You don't leave tools scattered around in an airplane or on the flight deck.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    S.Decker, Quinlan, Broke and 6 others like this.
  23. Toytech

Toytech Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tools go back in the tool box after every job and every tool has a place , im a flat rate tech so time literally is money so looking for tools is a no go and organization is king , i always ask myself why ive put something in a specific place and if there is somewhere better for it . Most guys i work with just keep piling up there tools or just cram them all in a single drawer ,bothers me just to look at it .

S.Decker, Quinlan, fixits and 4 others like this.
  24. Snake Doc 415

Snake Doc 415 Gradatim Ferociter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Every day:

-Quick prayer before starting my day
    -Coffee, email, and BCUSA :)
    -Mental EDC check list
    -Make a list of the tasks I have to complete (on paper)

After that:

Work hard, be nice, stay vigilant.

-Snake Doc 415

S.Decker, hdbeav, Quinlan and 5 others like this.
  25. MohaveGreen

MohaveGreen Guide

Blog Posts:
    I used to be so organized, streamlined, and efficient. Then I got a dog, got married, got another dog, then started having kids. I'm now 3 kids in (dogs are recently gone, sadly) and am a complete wreck (by my standards). I try hard to maintain consistency, but find myself celebrating when I need something and it is actually where I left it. Curious little hands have a way of disrupting even the best routines. Example: I like to watch youtube vids before turning in at night. Therefore, my tablet lives on my nightstand with ear buds plugged in and wrapped up neatly. However, many days I will find them with the little rubber buds removed and nowhere to be found. Why? Who knows. But thankfully, these days my 2 y/o seems to have at least developed the genetic anal retentiveness to always place them neatly in the drawer instead of scattering them through the house. Just a few months ago it was a nightly scavenger hunt before bed to find daddy's earbuds. He' got a big heart, so he probably thinks he's helping me somehow. Anyway, between that and missing toothpaste caps (Where t.f. would they go?) and a million other little things, I've learned that you've gotta just roll with it. Kids are great, it's just stuff, and tomorrow will come no matter what happens today. Still, God have mercy on next person who uses a socket and doesn't return it to its rightful place in the universe... I mean after all, we all have our limits.

VtBlackDog, S.Decker, Quinlan and 8 others like this.
  26. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    If developing good habits takes so much time and energy and bad habits are so easy what does that tell us?

27. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I prefer simple bad habits. Extreme bad habits are too difficult to live with.

Quinlan, Broke, fixits and 3 others like this.
  28. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I also do the pocket tap each morning: wallet, keys, lighter / comb, and phone.
    I can unpack, find an item, and repack my bushcraft bag in the dark. Comes in handy.
    Other than that, my life is a disorganized mess! Piles all over, stuff scattered everywhere, kids and dogs hiding things.

29. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    same thing in each pocket every day

right pocket-nail clippers, pocket knife, chapstick
    watch pocket-mini flint and steel kit in mini altoid's tin
    2 o'clock belt-pouch with my flip phone and money clip
    4 o'clock belt loop-keys
    back right-wallet (decoy, plus extra necessaries like bandaids and jute for fire and credit card multitool)
    back left-2 hankies (1 for snot, 1 for not)
    7 o'clock belt-large multitool plus single AAA maglight
    front left-mini mutltitool, small chunk of paracord (knot practice on a regular basis) and prayer beads

and usually a pen and some sort of notebook or post it notes somewhere.

it's great when i know where everything is. pat down before i leave the house each morning, and check some items several time a day too. exercising the same discipline with my EDC bookbag means that when anyone needs something-friends or family-i can have it to them before they even finish asking! should have been a boyscout....

S.Decker, Quinlan, GrayGhost and 2 others like this.
  30. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I stopped carrying my .600 Nitro Express double rifle. EDC was just playing havoc with the finish. The accordion will be next to I suppose. Then it will be down to the Spyderco du jour, the SAK, keys, Olite, wallet, and watch. Sometimes I feel cute and don’t wear the watch.

S.Decker, Quinlan, salty dog and 4 others like this.
  31. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Since this thread popped up, I have been observing myself. I'm not a habit-routine kind of guy, but I do have a few things.

Every morning, first thing, I make a cup of coffee with my Aero Press, then sit in my wife's living room chair and drink it while I peruse the forum, and pet my dog.

I guess the only other things I can think of is that when I am done with my coffee, I wash the cup out. Same thing when I eat any meal.

I do take a shower every night. That's a good habit I think. ;)

icemanx722, S.Decker, Quinlan and 3 others like this.
  32. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    Flossing. Now I can’t sleep unless I do the floss thing.

33. shellbark

shellbark Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Carrying a small notebook and pen at all times. It has saved so many good ideas from being forgotten.

34. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another pocket tapper here.

Ritual de lo habitual.

Also, everything in its right place.

(there are two musical references in this post)

35. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    I was pretty disciplined as a child... at first it was external (wooden spoon, belt) but gradually became internal. Military school taught me the value of organization and a routine. We got up way to early in the morning to be "thinking"... it all had to be right, early, and that came from prep and habit.

On active duty we did almost everything by load plan and drill, and at night...so I learned to do things by feel.

In the car, over time, I developed a "load plan" as well... tools, prep stuff, spares, etc, all had their place. Today, that translates to sunglasses always in the same dash location. work ID badge likewise. on as soon as i get into the car in the morning, off as soon as i get back to the car after work. wallet same way; stays in the same place in the car always.

Organizing my workspace at work is similar... certain info stickies pasted in the same location they've been for years, even when the office changes locations (e.g., employee number on phone, for when the tech support guys ask for it. my guys's work station phone numbers, contract numbers, numbers to order supplies through, PO Box for the company drop for USPS. physical address for FEDEX and UPS. phone number for the bldg manager/repair dude. etc.)

At home, it's similar. I have had 5 home shops in the garages of houses I've owned or rented over the past 30 or so years. This most recent move was the 13th move, 6th where I had a shop... my daughter saw a picture of it and commented 'oh... ok... yep... same as always. I can find anything there.'

Another side effect of this move is that it's the first entirely without children. We have a 3 story town home. Basement is mine. Garage is mine. Upstairs office is mine. Upstairs bath and guest room are my wife's. Ground floor (LR, DR, Kitchen, and MBath) are pretty much my wife's... i'm allowed to be there, but not to put anything down. I have a basket, as in 1, in the kitchen. If it's not in the basket, it goes in the trash. so my keys and pocket litter go in the kitchen basket, and wife's kitchen stays nice and pretty. (the nice side of that is the magic elves who live there... when i'm hungry, i just go there, and there are things to eat, and if i bring a plate to the sink, it gets washed, put away, and comes back with food on it. Seriously, I don't know how it works... but I like it.)

I have slightly more leeway in the MBR (which is also her office). Closet shelves are mine (think military school... i'm fairly neat), but again, i have a basket on the dresser for 'stuff' so it's not cluttered-looking. (But again, there's this magic basket in the corner. If i put dirty clothes in it, they disappear for awhile, but come back washed, folded, and in a drawer or in the closet. pretty cool!)

This carries over into the woods. I had a friend remark once on how quickly I got my camp set up after dropping my rucksack, and asked "how do you do that so fast?" It's just experience, repetition, and routine. I like a certain style of pack and pockets, and things go in them roughly the same way every time/every trip. You know where to find 'the next thing you need' when you're setting up. And if something's missing when you pack up, you notice. I walked her through all of it, start to finish; shelter, cook system, sleep system, clothing, and tools. Took all the mystery out. She's doing an AT through hike as I write, and it will be interesting to discuss her system when she gets back.

All that said, I have locked my keys in my car more times than I can count, so there is usually a key wired to the chassis somewhere, and I keep a spare in my desk at work. My wife and I also carry opposite spare keys, just in case.

36. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am also a pocket tapper, and a place for everything and everything in it's place guy. In a major rush I have forgotten things, and a couple times locked my car/truck doors with it running, that's never fun.

I'm also a list guy when it comes to preparing for a hike or camping trip. Have still forgotten things at times, but rarely anything major.

I guess I'm a creature of habit, and only have three bad ones, I smoke, I love my beer, and at times I cuss like crazy.

37. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I do the pocket checks too. Used to be pretty good about making notes to remind myself of To Do items but have gotten out of the habit. Probably should get back in to it. Another pocket thing I learned from work: We have several things that require keys and the keys are kept (more or less) in a box to limit access. I put one of them in my pocket once to do other stuff before putting it back in the box. Of course I went home with it and of course they needed it to run, so that cost another trip to work. Now any key that's not mine stays in my hand until returned, never in a pocket.

One more thing that I think fits in here even though I haven't tried it yet. Adam Savage, of Mythbuster fame, had a suggestion for where to store seldom used tools, things you might use once or twice a year. He said when you go to put it up, ask yourself where you would look now if you needed it, and put it there. Just a quick thought and first answer that pops in your head. Said it works great, we'll see.

38. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,
    I am a pocket tapper, too. :D

A coffee first thing in the morning, me, too. Also do the washing. Never leave the house with even a single teaspoon in the sink. I hate it is want to return to a tidied up house where everything is in order. Like fixing the bed. I do leave clutter in the living room from WIP projects...

Regards,

Christos

39. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tapper here, too!
    And I tried the tidy-routine, but then again.... if you know my wife..... and kids.... you will understand why I gave up on that. I chose the least of 2 frustrations.

40. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    At the end of the day , the satisfaction of going to the house tired but accomplished. Knowing you did alot that day. And what you did, you did right.

41. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    As I get older, I find I need to strictly adhere to those good habits. My memory isn’t what it used to be.

42. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That our lives would be easier, if we had more bad habits :4::dblthumb:

Jonah L. Archer and Beach Hiker like this.
  43. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    EDC tap *always*
    The next is sort of abstract. I try to solve problems in such a way that they are unlikely to be problems ever again. It involves searching out the ROOT cause and addressing it directly. I work maintenance for the apartment complex that I live at. The way I look at it, I am MARRIED to these problems and I need to fix them or deal with them forever. This sounds easy but to maintain it ALWAYS is a bit tricky.

S.Decker and Jonah L. Archer like this.