The Skrama Cometh! Ongoing updates! Skrama Action! New Pics!

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by JasonJ, Oct 24, 2018.

1. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    As evidenced by my thread title, my Skrama has arrived!

It is everything I expected and more. Very impressed. Also glad that they sent the protective cover and the full sheath.... Was worried fthe former would be swapped out for the latter. Now I can use this as a base for my own sheath as well as a fun side project.

I'll edit and update this thread with some decorative modifications I plan to make to this thing.

So far, it handles wonderfully. It carves much like the jaakaripuuko's do, is terribly well balanced (to quote Vision when speaking about Mjolnir in Age of Ultron), and came with far better fit and finish than I expected.

It feathers ok for its size, but it took me a minute to get used to how it wanted to cut. It splits very well and chops small bits just like my Fiskars X7 style hatchet.

I think this will do great for my small hatchet swap out when I can't or don't feel like packing that in for whatever (or none at all) reason.

The curls and chips speak for themselves.

Also, the caffeinated chocolate was awesome too.

565E61D6-3CC8-4007-9A50-A85D3F6B6ADF.jpeg DE99349A-FA78-4D78-A263-32CC394AAB6F.jpeg FFF55E80-3AA2-409E-80B8-716F52CB3EB3.jpeg 858731F3-D1EC-4163-BB3E-5E7E9AC116E0.jpeg

2. TomJ

TomJ Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I love this. I have their 110 and 140 with plans on adding this to the mix here shortly. Glad to hear you like it!

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the short time I've had it, which has been about an hour or so... I highly recommend it. I immediately went outside and tried it out.

The edge, even the 34 degree bit is so scary sharp in pretty sure I frightened the air into splitting itself in two.

Muskett, SmilinJoe, Broke and 10 others like this.
  4. hdbeav

hdbeav Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's good Skramaction right there!

Congrats and keep us posted on your thoughts as you get to use it more!

Would be interested in pics of what sheath style you end up with.

5. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    You got it... I have their black leather one as well... But that'll likely get strapped to my pack.

I'm thinking some sort of baldric setup, or a hip mounted sword scabbard type.

I think I have enough leather scraps to do it already.

6. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    This doesn't get enough mentioning... The balance point being where it is.

This allows you to use this 17" long knife as though it was a 2" one. No, you won't be tip whittling anything, but for fine shaving and notches, this is critical because it allows you to keep using this knife instead of sheathing it and switching off to your crafting blade.

And like firearms, the less you have to fuss with it in and out of the sheath, the less likely you are to have a mishap. Also more efficient use of time.

AF82E3F4-5DC3-4A11-8F29-43ABFBDECB09.jpeg

7. HunterX9

HunterX9 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The skrama is a fantastic knife. I have the stainless version and it’s a beast.

Broke, woodsmanjohn, hdbeav and 2 others like this.
  8. HunterX9

HunterX9 Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I get another big edged tool it will be the Skrama.

Broke, woodsmanjohn, hdbeav and 2 others like this.
  10. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    good piece of kit young fellar. I like it. joe

11. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Nice, I really like the looks of that and would love to try one out for a bit. I tend to use smaller knives, but something about that one looks like a lot of fun...

Enjoy!

:38:

Madwell, Broke, woodsmanjohn and 3 others like this.
  12. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've generally preferred small knives, but I love my Skrama. It is permanently strapped to the side of my pack in a British bayonet frog and gets a lot of use.

Madwell, Broke, woodsmanjohn and 4 others like this.
  13. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Fantastic set of kit you have there. A very complete and we'll thought out set of tools.

I love the maxpedition bag attached to the skrama sheath.

We need a Skrama Action pics thread... Like the Tracker action pics. I know I for one am going to use the crap out of this thing and post about it here.

Tomorrow: food prep tests.

Maybe I'll swap out to the skrama for my 7th One knife challenge....?

possumjon, Madwell, Broke and 3 others like this.
  14. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congrats! It can definitely give the X7 a run for its money, and probably best it in some areas. Batons and splits like a champ! Feels great in the hand, too. I just WANTS to chop.

Are those the belts of Jupiter and one of its moons in your profile photo?

Broke, woodsmanjohn and JasonJ like this.
  15. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is. NASA took that photo last year... It was done with infrared lenses. Makes it different colors but also brings out some contrast.

Not only do I live astronomy... But brightly colored avatar pics let me scroll quick through a thread to find my own posts...to get back to where I was on various devices.

And yes, if it doesn't chip on every use, it'll already have a lead on the hatchet. Also more comfortable to hold and use. A lot less wedge like too...

Broke, PMSteve and woodsranger like this.
  16. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cool. I've been into astronomy since I was a kid, although I'm sans scope at the moment. Seems like bushcrafters tend to like the same kinds of things!

Broke and JasonJ like this.
  17. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    My son, Wyatt has a mid grade telescope... We saw Saturn and Mars through it last summer. Holy crap. You could see the polar ice on Mars and the "ears" of the rings of Saturn.

I'm getting inklings of a thought for a new kind of summer Michigan bushcraft gathering now... Half ground based half space.

It's all part of the natural world around us, after all.

Broke, PMSteve, BalsamFur and 2 others like this.
  18. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Food prep.

I make big or so breakfasts on the weekend for the family, being the first one up, brewing fresh coffee from beans and getting a pound or two of bacon going.... Perfect opportunity to see how Skrama does in the kitchen.

Only issue found was that because the handle is on the same axis as the blade, whereas a chef's knife has the blade extend lower, cutting with the 23 degree edge close up is not feasible.

Nonetheless, the 34 degree angle is so keen it easily slices anything. Tomato slices were transparent- they could be cut so thin. Chopping was obviously a simple matter.

So the question of will it cut (it will Keeel, as Doug Marcaida would say) is not a question at all. Of course it will. The question is how comfortable is it to do so.

Not bad. The handle is shaped such that you van get a nice choked up grip to control the blade. This is where the perfect 50:50 balance, weight ratio comes in. It makes it such that you can control the blade along its entire length.

Impressive for its size. Not nearly as nimble as a small knife, clearly... But certainly usable without being a pain in the rump.

I'm making both lasagna and chili later today... Will assess and document it's food prep ability then as well, update here when done.

4FD73F9A-F965-4DDC-AA9C-641EF5F86904.jpeg DBCD700D-F81C-4ABC-BE4B-313267F41872.jpeg

19. Fixedblade

Fixedblade 3% Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Congrats! It’s a Beast!

20. woodsmanjohn

woodsmanjohn Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on the Skrama, it really is an awesome blade.

21. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Never thought of it as a food prep knife! :18:

22. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. I'm really enjoying the versatility that it is capable of. Plus the pure ridiculousness of it.

Indeed. It spreads peanut butter, sour cream and similar very well.

Green peppers don't stand a chance. Your first thought might be, green peppers? No big deal. Not really but the proper way to cut them involves slicing on a downward parabola along the inside of the pepper. This takes a nimble blade and a lot of control. Skrama handled this 90% as well as my dedicated chef's knife.

I also show in the pictures below how you can easily choke up even further than the handle and use the first inch or so of the wide blade as a grip area. With the perfect balance this knife has, this allows very fine, detailed cuts. You can do this as easily in wood as you can food.

I also show side by side with my 8" old hickory chef's knife for comparison.

Where the skrama falls short in all of this is weight. It gets heavy in the hand with constant holding for food prep. Around camp it wouldn't be a problem....prepping 3 dinners meals for the upcoming week plus breakfast... My arm got tired holding it up.

3E95B5A8-C4CE-4AC8-869C-9D663685619D.jpeg ED6090CD-254C-4866-8ABE-FE7438EF73FD.jpeg A971C0D2-A69F-47A6-95AD-67E220407A84.jpeg

Mission success:
    233E4A62-6983-432F-BC82-BBB0CB564FF7.jpeg

cek, Madwell, Crusher0032 and 7 others like this.
  23. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good job! Now I have a craving for chili. Sigh.

24. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    It was my best batch yet. My brother has won awards with his chili... The trick is to simmer your meat in beer for a while. I used ground beef, 80/20, and simmered 3lbs of it in Labatt’s Blue (not light).

SmilinJoe, Broke and woodsranger like this.
  25. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    For sustained, finer work, I'm thinking of adding a lanyard long enough to put around my forearm while pinching the blade up at the hole near the tip, sort of like the Hunt M18.

26. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It is a great and versatile blade for sure! I have the 110 already and the 140 should be at the house when I get home today, collecting the whole set...

I used it to chop up some of my wood pile for marshmallows the other night, works like a frickin laser, a strong contender for a one tool option, but big for polite company though.

Also makes a great bread knife.

27. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps this a sign... we need to both buy the Mini-Skrama now!

And more Scho-Ka-Kola... always more Scho-Ka-Kola.

Crusher0032, Broke and Foilist like this.
  28. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Mmmm chilli.....

Nice update! Glad to see cool tools getting used. I don't buy many knives, but this one is calling...

:38:

Primordial, Broke and JasonJ like this.
  29. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't either... maybe 2 or 3 per year, with usually only one costing more than $30. I figured with this one, if it at least gets used, it'll be justified for the price, which considering what it is, and the leather sheath option, is quite fair.

I plan to really get some dirt time (ok, yard time) with it Wed and this weekend too. But I wanted to see this weekend how it does on less .. let's say "typical" jobs that one would ask of a 17", 4.2mm thick piece of carbon steel.

You never know what the tool can do, if you don't find it's limits and then work within them. Or worse case, you do find its limits, but at the wrong time.

Crusher0032, Broke and Red Yeti like this.
  30. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    ^ Filet a Buick or two.

JasonJ, Broke and Crusher0032 like this.
  31. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to see someone do a proper destruction, find the limits of the knife type test with a Skrama... ain't gonna be me and mine though. Hack into sheet metal, pry crap with it, beat it with a hammer, whack it into and out of things... what exactly does it take to kill one?

32. holygoat

holygoat Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Today I made a pair of 3.75 knitting needles from some spalted birch. The Skrama did it all from splitting through to final rounding. My favorite knife for a reason!

Attached Files:

TomJ, JasonJ, Broke and 1 other person like this.
  33. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow cool! That looks like a very fine and delicate thing to carve. Looks simple but probably isn't. The skrama likes to eat through wood and destroy things... Amazing that it can craft at all.

Especially something that nice.

Broke likes this.
  34. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    Everyone knows I'm a Skrama fan.
    When I get a new knife then one of the first things I do is make lunch with it. In the case of the Skrama my son filleted a Skate..a large flat fish. It can do the apple, tomato, and heap of veggies too. Bit OTT for sandwiches but it can do a Scooby-Doo one.

I've posted plenty about my Skrama here. I do think the carbon is a good bit tougher than the stainless. I've had mine for a good while now. It has two dings in the edge from hitting iron and steel, though very slowly getting sharpened out. I cut some ivy back from brickwork the other day and the edge didn't like that much, but hay ho its a work tool; anyhow I need excuses to sharpen those dings out.

I like to keep mine evil sharp. Mine looks pretty filthy so no longer allowed in the kitchen. There are perfectly good kitchen knives in the draw anyhow; all sharp.

New toys are always good fun, the Skrama will become an old faithful after a while, well mine is. One of my reach for tools.
    It excels as a woodman's tool; I've no idea how good a breeze block breaker it is but then thats not why I bought it.

I used to peel an apple and try to make as long a piece as I could to test a knife's dexterity and control. Might be fun to try as it can do finer work. They are more than "just" a whopper chopper.

Have fun, be safe.

TomJ, JasonJ and Broke like this.
  35. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely agree. Please post any pictures of your awesome Skrama action here if you get a chance. I know sometime when I'm using my tools, I'm more interested in doing the work and getting it done than photographing it.. but if the opportunity arrives.

I find the Skrama is a great sandwich knife.. one downward push and it cuts an entire sandwich in one go, smoothly. That way my bacon or tomatoes don't slide out if you use a rocking/sawing action.

I noticed that after some heavy chopping use with mine, on dry hard maple and through some knots, I've got the tiniest bit of edge deflection.. not a chip by any means, barely a roll. Can't feel it, but you can see the glint of light and if I take my glasses off and get my nose dangerously close to the blade I can see the smallest of edge rolls. (This is why I was asking about ceramic rods in the main Edge Tools forum). But it still slices paper like a razor and so I leave it be.

Although I did use it for cutting meat and vegetables last week and have gained some staining on the primary bevel from that, and the metal has started to acquire a blue-ish rainbow pattern from the food.

I wish it was "socially appropriate" to carry such a large knife around all day everywhere.. office, stores, where ever whatever... I think it'd get used a lot more often and show more versatility than is expected of it as "just another large chopper".

blind & lost and Broke like this.
  36. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    All done. As said in my puukko engraving thread, these were inspired by the Seax of Beagnoth (so named because it has his name on the right side of the blade, with the Elder Futhark runic alphabet on the left).

My hand engraving of these is not perfect, especially on the puukko. But, if you look at the Seax of Beagnoth, it too is not perfect. Technique wise, it's wonderful... but a precision CNC job it is not, clearly.

Read about Beagnoth's langseax here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seax_of_Beagnoth

Now, image dump!

The puukko is named Raven Claw, and has this name on the right side of the blade, with an image of a raven (Muninn or Huginn, take your pic).

The Skrama(seax) is named Dragon Tooth. Drakka Tonn in Icelandic (which I have read is the closest living language to that of the Old Norse people's). On the right side it has the name of the blade near the handle, and near the blade end it says (basically) "Jason's Seax". No apostrophe-S, as I was unsure the proper syntax (in fact, the actual spellings and grammatical order may all be wrong, no one is super sure).

Left side has Laurin Metalli in Elder Futhark, as maker of the blade. Enjoy!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for looking! I guarantee there are no other puukko's or Skrama's just like these, so it feels nice to have something unique in general, but also specific to me.

Let's see some more Skrama Action pics and any customization anyone else has also done!

cek, dreamin, notchybynature and 6 others like this.
  37. Mookietherooster

Mookietherooster Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here you go. I hope to get out this week for a hike, and if so, I'll be bringing the Skrama for a photo shoot. IMG_20181111_074710794~2.jpg

cek, JasonJ and Broke like this.
  38. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Noice! I like that you did a racket grip tape on the handle to beef it up for your hand and even out the bumps on the bottom of the grip. Nice way to make a working tool work for you!

Broke and Mookietherooster like this.
  39. Mookietherooster

Mookietherooster Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Try it, you'll love it. It makes a great tool even better.

Broke likes this.
  40. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'll try it out! But I'll use some very thin 2oz leather stripping... that way it goes with my 8-9th Century Runic styling on the Skrama.

Broke and Mookietherooster like this.
  41. Mookietherooster

Mookietherooster Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey, great idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out.