The ultralight gear from amazon??

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by CaliforniaCanuck, Sep 11, 2019.

1. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    UPDATE: I received the pack today and it's going back. I would not buy it again, so hopefully my post didn't trigger anyone to buy it.

Explanation in reply #6 below.

I did it, I bought the cheap ultralight pack and tent from amazon. I don't go backpacking enough to justify the cost of the high-end ultralight brands so this helps reduce the weight of my two heaviest items. Previously my tent and pack weighed a full 10 lbs and now, 6 lbs!

The trekking pole tent has turned out great. It's the updated Pine Country Trekker 2.2 weighing in at 3.5 lbs after I added 4 more more tie-downs and corresponding stakes. Looks like this,
    upload_2019-9-11_20-55-24.png

The pack is a Onetigris clone of the z-packs style 55 L pack weighing in at 2.5 lbs, $80 delivered.
    upload_2019-9-11_20-43-22.png

This brings my base weight to 20 lbs. That's not as impressive as a lot of you guys but I started out at 35 lbs so I'm thrilled that I could get there without spending a fortune!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How do they feel, build-quality wise? They look good!

Bobsdock, blind & lost and backlasher like this.
  3. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Cool, I've been very happy with my "cheap" tents over the years.

Starting with my Naturehike Cloud UP 2 (pictured back right) which blew my mind coming in the 3 lbs range. This was my lightest tent for quite a while and saw a lot of use. I believe I actually ended up ordering it through Amazon.

[​IMG]Night Two all set up by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Followed by my 3F UL Gear Lanshan 1 which was even cheaper and lighter coming in at $85 and 1 lbs 12 oz this one ordered through AliExpress before the prices went up a bit and it became available in green.

[​IMG]

You can also see my cheap and fairly light pack which was $65 and totals at 2.25 lbs picked up years ago now on clearance from REI.

4. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I also have a hard time justifying really pricey ultralight gear because I just can't get out as frequently as I would like.

For some items, instead of resorting to "cheap" gear, I've taken the approach of acquiring used gear. For others, it's a matter of combining discount prices with coupons (e.g., REI Outlet + member coupons).
    This has allowed me to pay discount prices without compromising quality.

Obviously, for some other items, the "cheap" option is just as good as any, and I will opt for that in those cases.

I think I'm down to around a 16lb base weight (without DSLR and related gear), but I'll know for sure when I finish packing tomorrow.

I'm interested to hear how these items work out for you. Planning to get out with them any time soon?

5. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    The tent is great, and the company’s cs is first rate.

The pack should be here today so I’ll share my initial thoughts but as long as the fabric is durable and rides well I should be happy.

My next trip is in a few weeks and will update this thread on how they work out.

6. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pack update, sending it back!

This would be my fourth backpack since I started backpacking. Each pack cost $80 to $130. If I add that up it totals approximately $400.

In hind sight I would have done better just buying the original Z-Packs pack for $300. After studying their photos I now see that they have the design figured out which is essentially a super light weight external frame pack. I'll probably bite the bullet on this item and buy the Z-packs pack!

This is a photo of Z-packs strap and load lifters system. Notice the external frame, position of the load lifters, and 1" webbing attaching the shoulder strap to the pack. That is essentially the same as my heavy but extremely effective external frame pack.
    upload_2019-9-12_19-45-52.png

Compare that with the amazon pack. The load lifter straps are there but they're more symbolic than anything. The shoulder straps are squished flat and sewn square to the back of the pack resulting in no lateral movement to allow them to spread to fit your body. The result is that only the inner edge of the straps transfer the load to your shoulders. Also the pouch on the left strap is sewn in place and prevents the chest strap from adjusting higher where it should be. I would not recommend this pack regardless of price!
    upload_2019-9-12_19-49-52.png

These are details that you cannot easily see in the photos so I am disappointed with this purchase but from this I have much better understanding of why my heavy external frame pack works so well. I'm also appreciating the design in the Z-packs pack and I'm starting to feel that it might actually be a worthwhile expense.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  7. NORKALNIMROD

NORKALNIMROD Scout

Blog Posts:
    Look at the KUIU PRO packs. Buy once, cry once. Although quite expensive you won’t regret the purchase. By far the best designed and most comfortable pack I have ever owned.

NORKAL

blind & lost and Bobsdock like this.
  8. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice packs for they are designed for a very different purpose than that of the OP.

Bobsdock likes this.
  9. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I looked at the Kuiu packs and their 3600 weighs 4.5 lbs. That's too heavy.

Z-Packs seems like the best option, however, I'm not in a rush to spend that much right now.

What sucks is I had already mentally shed the weight off my heavy pack and to my disappointment now I'm back to using my heavy pack!

MJGEGB and Bobsdock like this.
  10. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Buy once cry once brother.
    I've been looking for a new pack also it's hard when you have to buy online.because you can't try it on.
    I recently bought a ULA circuit but returned it. It's a nice pack but it Just didn't fit me. I tried my buddy's osprey exos 58 on an overnighter. Turns out I'm not a fan of the trampoline suspension. I've got a granite gear crown 2 60 liter coming in the mail should be here tomorrow.
    Maybe the third time will be a charm.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  11. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have tried a number of different packs, with very mixed reviews. Even the Osprey wasn't to my liking, Finally went with a Mystery Ranch. A little heavy but tough material. and great warranty. I wish I had started out with their packs, but couldn't justify the price when I started out. As far as Amazon purchases, I try to avoid Amazon whenever possible.

Bobsdock likes this.
  12. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don’t have an issue with amazon and wouldn’t have found that tent otherwise.

Buying from amazon is low risk as they have an easy return system. As soon as my return was in the UPS system amazon issued the refund.

My only gripe with amazon is the reviews. Either they are obligated after people get the item for free or the buyer rates it only on their first impression which is almost always glowing.

I didn’t post a review of that pack and don’t plan to. Buyers will need to read this topic to find out the issues I observed with it!

Bobsdock likes this.
  13. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    My choice not to buy from Amazon has nothing to do with the products, but in that, if there is a problem, finding someone that speaks English well enough to understand very well.

blind & lost likes this.
  14. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    There is some gear you can cheap out on, and some you can't. Lightweight backpacks, you can't. Unfortunately, it can be hard to see the differences between knock-off and high end brands from online pics, and so I certainly understand the temptation to go for the cheap stuff when "it looks just the same". Anyway, I always appreciate a good, honest assessment of gear. Thank you.

15. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have you tried calling your bank, mortgage company, insurance company, phone company, internet provider, any electronic company's customer service number, and so on?

16. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I also appreciate honest reviews when I can find them.

I ordered the z-packs arc haul today, and I feel it's about time I did!

blind & lost likes this.
  17. NORKALNIMROD

NORKALNIMROD Scout

Blog Posts:
    The KUIU design is very ergonomic regardless of purpose. I utilize the PRO 6000 for backpacking as well as hunting. Numerous pockets make it ideal for those who appreciate a well organized pack. The suspension/frame are incredible. I have carried over 100lbs in mine and though heavy it was incredibly stable and comfortable. I believe it is now offered in a gray color for those that do not care for camo.

NORKAL

blind & lost likes this.