The Upgraded Axe Wrap

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Oakman63043, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Oakman63043

Oakman63043 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I actually discovered this by accident and I've never seen anything like it before. I started by applying a final coat of homemade Fixin' Wax to the handle to protect the wood that is about to be covered by 550 paracord. From there I started off like you would with a normal axe wrap but left a little extra excess on the ends just to give me more to work with if something goes wrong and so that I could tuck a little extra under the top and bottom of the wrap so it would be easier to take off and put back on if the need ever comes. Once I got the tag end through the tension loop at the bottom, instead of immediately pulling the tag at the top to finalize it, I wrapped the top tag around the highest wrap and the bottom tag around the lowest wrap one time. I tightened each of those to make sure that I was happy with everything before pulling the tension loop up under the rest of the wrap. When I was ready to proceed, I had to loosen the top and bottom loop enough to provide the necessary slack at the bottom so that enough of the bottom tag could be pulled up through the inside of the wrap and so that I had enough excess to grip with my Leatherman pliers at the top to pull on. Once I pulled the tension loop up inside of the wrap and tightened the excess loops around the top and bottom of the wrap, I was getting ready to cut and melt them. At this point I realized that there was still quite a bit of excess on both tag ends and maybe it could be useful. I decided to tie those top and bottom loops around the top and bottom of the wrap into clove hitches for a better hold. From there, I still had plenty of excess and it occurred to me that the ends could be tied together with a self-tightening knot to make a loop on the side of the wrap. After tying them together, the loop happened to be the perfect size to fit over my knuckles for a really secure grip. This would be perfect for making feather sticks and would probably work well for fleshing a hide as well.
    My next step was to add a simple lanyard to the lanyard hole. Once I added the lanyard, it occurred to me that a sling could be easily added by attaching it to the lanyard loop at the bottom and the wrap loop at the top. I do not want a lanyard on mine but I demonstrated how it could be done in the final picture if one chooses to do so. Here are some pictures I took throughout the process.
    Edit: After posting this, I realized it would be much better with the loop on the other side so that I can use it right handed. Instead of redoing the whole thing, I managed to twist the whole wrap around the handle until the loop was on the right side. This also caused the wrap to tighten up more. :)

Update 2/16/19: I have decided to remove the loop from the wrap for safety reasons.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg lanyard.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 12:26 PM
  2. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well done young fellar. joe

NevadaBlue and Oakman63043 like this.
  3. clanmaki

clanmaki Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice Man!

4. Mookietherooster

Mookietherooster Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Banned

Blog Posts:
    That's pretty cool.

5. Oakman63043

Oakman63043 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is the final product. Gransfors Bruk Hunters Axe with simple lanyard and upgraded wrap. Final.jpg

Kelly W and NevadaBlue like this.
  6. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    20190131_222342-1.jpg I like doing that on my hiking sticks. Never thought to do it on my axe. Might have to give it a try.

7. Northwest Axe

Northwest Axe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Interested to see how it works out in the bush! Looks really cool, I'd just be worried it would catch and cause a glancing blow

8. ravenn

ravenn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    have hockey stick tape on my wetterling now, but the paracord is going on it. Thanx!

Oakman63043 likes this.
  9. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Neat. Just advise using EXTREME caution with any "leash" type attachments to hatchets in particular. Many of our body parts disagree with a wayward axe, especially one that follows the arc of our arms right toward our bits and pieces.

10. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    A loose string hanging off the swinging end of my axe. Hell no..... N.......O..... no.

Skeptiksks, Kelly W, brionic and 4 others like this.
  11. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't care for that. It's going to hang you up if it doesnt get you hurt.

Usually, I'm to each his own on the wraps and embellishments, which I don't prefer, but that's a bad idea.

12. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The wrap is top notch, but I would follow the wisdom of these fellows. Dangly bits near the head of a half axe will turn your knees and shins into dangly bits if the head glances from the lanyard catching on something. Hell I had a glancing blow with a naked handled axe and almost turned my knee inside out.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best I say.

13. Oakman63043

Oakman63043 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It had crossed my mind that it could get caught on something. Now after reading the replies, I am thinking I better remove that loop just to be safe. Or maybe find a way to secure it to the wrest of the wrap better so that it is not dangling while I am chopping. Thank you guys for warning me before I end up finding out the hard way. :)

14. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    :35:

15. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts: