There Went a Gun I Said I'd Never Sell

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Wasp, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Recently I started a thread regarding Sig and their narrowing their lineup of popular pistols, one of my favorites included being the 239 in 9mm.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/sig-is-crazy.214794/

I wanted that pistol for years and years and finally got one a few years ago, boy I was happy. It shot great, I was probably about twice as accurate with it as I am with Glocks, which is pretty good.

Sig not only discontinued the 239 (and others) in the line-up, they stopped selling parts and closed them out to wholesalers and said they wouldn't support it anymore. I had some spare parts on backorder from midway but for one set of parts I would have been out $120+ plus shipping from two distributors. I also had a spare magazine ordered which was almost $50. The parts were hard to find as it was, now they are scarce to say the least.

Now it sounds great to have a set of spare parts, but that only included one flat recoil spring with numerous other springs one each. The gun would likely last me for the rest of my life, but only one recoil spring? And if it ever needed something serious that I couldn't figure out I'd have to pay a smith and pray he could find or make a part since Sig wouldn't support it anymore?

It all was a little overwhelming buying parts I didn't even need at expensive prices and the backorder may or may not have even come through since I've had them canceled before.

I'm a little sad since I wanted it for so long. I'm a little frustrated because I wanted a 229 or a few others eventually, but who knows if they eventually decide to go another direction--eventually. Dont want thousands of dollars of firearms that already have proprietary parts and eventually cant get anything for them.

I do realize that lots of people own lots of firearms that are no longer made and they still shoot fine. That doesn't make me feel a lot better as new as this gun was to me.

I think Sig wants to get more into the poly gun arena so they can be competitive in price. But people love (ed) Sig and the metal guns a lot, and didn't feel the price was too high for what they got in quality and accuracy. If you were watching a few years ago Sig was offering dozens of guns, why couldn't they make metal and poly? And dropping such a polular gun in their lineup is nuts.

Their recent poly gun has a proprietary rail which means proprietary lights. Marketing mistake there too.

Sigh. IDK. I may buy another one one day, but after losing almost half my money on a dream gun it's gonna be hard to get over.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hear you. I've collected old/classic/military firearms for going on 30 years. I've started finally admitting to myself it's time to start selling. The generation that collected--and valued--them is fading, the new generation wants plastic this or that. But mainly, I just can't find parts. I have a Mossberg .22 rifle that is an excellent shooter and one of my favorite squirrel rifles. But the safety is worn to the point that it is no longer safe, and I haven't been able to find a replacement. It is nearly 75 years old.

central joe and Wasp like this.
  3. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Did you call customer service ? I agree on sig still waiting for some spare parts for 8 rifles they discontinued and I won’t say how many months it’s been

4. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    No they made it clear, they dont even have the gun or parts listed anymore. Others on Sigtalk called and asked. Theres a run on spare parts. That's enough for me.

central joe and scottman like this.
  5. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep sad really once you’ve had the experience of mine out in the field And a broken sog firing pin that just the previous day worked fine you start to really question spare parts and field repair kits .

Side note those rifles of mine were toted as being the best of 76239 by a certain individual ......... a platform that is now discontinued . My accuracy data with mine never stacked to what I read in the internet from the guy selling the rifles ..... so I personally bought his old rifle when it went up for sale ..... and still wasn’t able to get accuracy that was great compared to other platforms and often less expensive on the same caliber with spare parts being a click on the internet .

The best is a reliable platform with good accuracy spare parts inexpensive magazines .....::

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  6. Simplejack

Simplejack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Uh i collect sigs and did not know of this sale you speak of

central joe likes this.
  7. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    What do you mean?

8. kamagong

kamagong Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lol...he means he doesn't understand the concept of selling.

Wasp likes this.
  9. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    If I had expendable income I might feel that way too, I loved the pistol. I cant take a chance of it breaking, not being able to fix it, and then not being able to get enough to replace it with another primary carry handgun.
    If they had continued to make parts, and or service them, then I wouldn't have gotten rid of it.

scottman and Pharmer like this.
  10. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hope the new / replacement pistol eases your pain. That's a real bummer when they (whoever that is) quits making something you really like. You're like - am I the only person who likes these or something?

Wasp and scottman like this.
  11. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I know its extremly popular, or was. :)

Pharmer and scottman like this.
  12. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    The trends come and go I know for certain guns I like that I don’t know if they will be made in the future I might just have to do the oh I’m a dummy took apart my gun and now can’t find the parts and let the manufacturer replace the parts and pay them if they won’t sell you spare parts . It’s sad but that seems to be the way you have to go to get certain small critical parts for a field reparir kit

Pharmer and Wasp like this.
  13. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    someone will come along and make replacement parts. eventually...

Pharmer and scottman like this.
  14. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anticipate vs react . Having to hike back to get a spare rifle taught me a lesson

Pharmer and Wasp like this.
  15. kamagong

kamagong Scout

Blog Posts:
    Who says guns are supposed to last forever? I figure if I shot a gun enough to wear it out, I should be able to afford to replace it.

CampCowan likes this.
  16. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    It for me has nothing to do with replacing it spare parts kit is lighter then an spare rifle . It has everything to do with being able to service and repair what was an asset is now a liability . You want to be in dangerous territory with a non functioning firearm having a decent amount of ammo but you can’t apply force at distance because you don’t have a lightweight critical spare firjng pin ?

17. Wasp

Blog Posts:

So if after 4000 rounds your experiencing failures because your recoil spring or extractor or extractor spring are worn out, you're willing to throw away a $1200 gun?
    You realize thats not that many rounds for any firearm right? Many will go above 20x that many rounds or more in their lifetime of the gun. Not all without replacing the recoil or other springs or parts. Most manufacturers reccommend replacing the recoil spring after 5,000.

And then you have an issue after lets say five more trips to the range. I call Sig and they say, "sorry we no longer have any parts onhand and we no longer service that weapon."
    Good thing you gou to go to the range a hand full of times before you flush $1200. :)

Midwest.Bushlore and scottman like this.
  18. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I can appreciate your point! Once an item is "out of print" and support is unavailable for it, that thing is on borrowed time. Especially if it's a carry piece I think you're better off taking your lumps and moving on to a platform that still has support. I'm not a Glock (Block?) fan but at least with it you're probably always gonna be able to get parts.

Wasp likes this.
  19. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    That's another thing, there are a lot of pistols with aftermarket parts in the least, except Sig and HK and a few others. I prefer factory parts on working parts at least.

Like the 26/19/17 most of the parts are interchangeable.

Some guns are even cheap enough that if it was out of production and it was broken you could buy it on gunbroker or something for parts, but the more expensive the gun the more its going to cost even if not 100%

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  20. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    I'm always thinking about that. I'm a big HK fanboy and it seems like the company is continually skirting the edge of bankruptcy! I expect them to be around for a long time but at least right now there are lots of parts in the pipeline. If I had reason to expect that to change I'd have to take a hard look at the situation. Maybe I could stock up on the parts I need or maybe I'd have to comprehensively overhaul my CCW rotation. But I'd be sick if I had to ditch my USPf9, P30S, P2000 and VP9!:eek:

Wasp likes this.
  21. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Heres the thing about HK. Okay, so the 239 is not the P7M8, but close as far as another mfg pistol in the lineup, and the price is similar to what the P7M8 used to run.
    BUT! when HK discontinued the P7M8 I called them, and they said despite it not being in production, and they WERE out of available parts, if it broke they'd support it and fix it. Last time I called was mid 2000 and they still stood behind it. I dont know if they still do though.
    Unfortunately as soon as that pistol went out they became even more rare than they are now, but at least were still affordable, but I never got one.

Thats the difference though. At least support the product.

22. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    And I am kinda sick because this was my grail gun. I never did a thread about selling any other gun.

23. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, HK can fix almost any of their old guns. I came really close to picking up a mint P7M8 last year; decided to trade or sell my HK USC .45 carbine. I was asking $2100 or an interesting trade and was offered the P7M8 and some cash. Man, I was sorely tempted! But while I was deliberating about it I wound up having to take my truck to the shop and needed the cash instead. That's always kind of been a 'grail gun' to me but going back full circle to what you're talking about I've decided that really I don't need to have a CCW gun that's been discontinued for decades. It's sweet but my main CCW, a P2000 in LEM, is a bit more practical.

Apropos of nothing, my other Grail Gun for CCW would be an HK P30S V1 LEM in 9mm. It's the Light LEM trigger but it still have a manual safety. Only 500 were ever imported into the US but even so, they were reasonably easy to find when they first came out. But that's been a few years now and I can't find one anywhere. I have one of my Grail Guns at least...an HK P30S with the full Gray Guns package and Trijicon HD sights.

Wasp likes this.
  24. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Why sell? If it is a tool you truly enjoy using and handling then is it possible to relegate it to collection status? Shoot a rack or two here and there and put it back away. I am a motorcycle nut and if I could I think I would be buried with my 1975 gl1000. It is hard to find parts for it and Honda certainly isn’t stocking many. That being said I do get it out for about 1000 miles per year. I know if something major goes down I may be screwed but it’s my favorite bike. Just a thought, sucks to think of selling a “grail” anything.

Wasp likes this.
  25. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya and agree. I loved it. Problem is it was my primary carry and I cant afford to get something without getting rid of something else.
    At this point its too late. Trying to get some money together to get another something and a holster, etc for it.

26. kamagong

kamagong Scout

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps I can't fully appreciate your situation because my preferred pistol is a 1911. Don't have any problems finding parts. But I have a .40 HP, and Browning recently discontinued them. Other than getting a couple of spare magazines, and perhaps a few recoil springs, I don't expect any problems. Let's say I get to 25k rounds with this gun. That's good, yeoman service even if the gun is likely to last longer. And at $249/1000 rounds, that's already $6225 for ammo alone.

A couple of pistols that have long been on my want list are an original Sig P210 and H&K P7M8. If I ever come across any at prices I can stomach, they'll be mine. These guns have long been discontinued and parts for them are even more expensive than your P239. Doesn't intimidate me in the least. I consider it part of the price I have to pay for having something cool.

Shooting is not an inexpensive hobby.

Wasp likes this.
  27. kamagong

kamagong Scout

Blog Posts:
    Right. If I had a Boss 429 I wouldn't sell it. I'd enjoy it, and even take it out for a spin every now and then. I wouldn't make it a daily driver though.

Of course if the P239 is your only pistol, do what you gotta do.

Wasp likes this.
  28. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    You would drive a nasty Mustang? Don't you know Camaros are better? Especially '69 & '73!

;)

29. Butler Ford

Butler Ford Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  30. Wasp

Blog Posts:
  31. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wolfe for pretty much any spring you need

32. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hate to hear this. I always was taken with the graceful lines of the 239, and always watched for one at gun shows and stores. Unless they resurrect then someday, I guess it's off my Hot List. I have been through quite a few 9mm's, and think that my present 9mm stable is pretty good - Ruger 1911 LW, Ruger SR9C, and S&W Shield.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  33. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sell a gun ? Please explain this concept. I cannot understand this line of thinking :58:

Wasp likes this.
  34. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    1-1=0

35. Dubhelix

Dubhelix Scout

Blog Posts:
    ..and inexpensive, widely available, and easy to install by the end user (you).

This is a significant asset to to the G's, and among the reasons I choose that system.

So, take your p239 proceeds, pick up a fresh G19, order up $100 worth of parts, and drive on.

scottman and Wasp like this.
  36. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    O/ zero guns ??? Unheard of I tell ya. I regret every one I ever let go. Lol

Wasp likes this.
  37. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    No, I have some. :) That was my primary carry though, even over my G43. I just meant it was my primary and if something happened I couldn't afford something else. I plan to get something else with the money. Right now I have a G26, G43, and LCP. I need another midsize gun, or I can carry my G26 I guess.

38. Simplejack

Simplejack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I mean i want it in a custom r grizzle holster next to my other sigs. I would have traded plastic guns for it.

Wasp likes this.
  39. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I didn't even think to try to sell it here. My dealer charges $80 to ship/transfer out, so I don't sell much online. They gave me $630 which is nuts. Lol

Simplejack likes this.
  40. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:

yep! and a lot of other pistols share the same manual of arms for CAC. I don't f eel to out of my place with my 180 dollar RP9 etc.

41. BigEd63

BigEd63 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I hear you man.

I love SIG products but their parts support and customer service leave a lot tombs desired.

I had over the years 3 west German marked SIG pistols a 220 in. 45acp and a pair of 226s in 9mm. Later on a SIG 716 rifle. All fine shooters but all a PIA to get a reliable source of OEM parts, of think I wanted to keep on hand.

Wasp likes this.
  42. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Supposedly there are nine or more different grip options in each color for the P320, but thst pistol has been out for a few years now and you can't find them anywhere, especially from Sig.
    Where did the awesome 220 Carry parts, support, and service go?

43. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid it was some what common knowledge that guns that get used hard wear out faster . cheaper guns wear out even faster.
    Even military guns wear out pretty fast especially those used on the range . Chambers were the more serious issue.
    With this knowledge in hand I don't shoot my guns like they are free ,nor do I run high power rounds through them .
    I have a lot of new and used guns that I am very careful about and they have never seen replacement parts .
    I shoot specials for practice, and mags for hunting , and air guns for regular practice . cheap to shoot and cheap to replace
    At that my shooting is conservative ,I'm not anxious to burn up ammo .
    Even if it's cheap it ain't free.
    What I'm trying to say is , if your a casual shooter and the gun's not lasting it's not worth trusting our life to.
    If your working the gun too hard you need to accept the fact that your wearing it out prematurely if it is suppose to be a "quality gun".
    lastly , if you need a lot of spare parts , that in it's self should tell you why the manufacturer dropped the line.
    If you can find a good gun smith ,he may be able to fab you some parts ,but it won't be cheap.

Wasp likes this.
  44. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Scout

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    I feel you man. I can't tell you the number of times I've almost picked up a nice 3rd Gen Smith and Wesson. A 5906, and later a 4006 was my duty gun, and I've also a fondness for the 3913, 6906, 4506, 4566... I could go on.

But they are no longer supported by S&W, so they would have to be safe queens. I just can't justify tying up money on something like that.

As uninspiring as my souless plastic people poppers are, I can practically get parts practically from vending machines on every street corner, and install them with a mostly straight nail. There's something to be said for that, particularly since I'm an hour drive from a FedEx or UPS hub where I'd have to go to ship a handgun.

Wasp likes this.
  45. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    The era of the metal frame pistol has been passing for some time now. (Except for the Immortal 1911!) S&W was famed for supporting their metal frame autos, until they weren't anymore. Before that happened, I sold off some S&W third gen autos for other reasons. But if you have an OOP metal frame auto and you like it, just keep trucking. We should all be so lucky to wear one out.

Maybe it was never really this way, but before "Companies" became "Corporations" it seemed like the old line gun companies would pretty much do their best to support their products no matter how long out of production. Maybe it was pride; maybe it was the low cost of skilled labor, or maybe it was just part of the Moral Code of those times.

Wasp likes this.
  46. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Scout

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    In defense of S&W, they supported 3rd gen, and even 2nd Gen autos long past the point where I thought they would. In 2002 we were a lone S&W holdout in a sea of Glocks, and we had been planning to go Glock "next year" for a couple of years. S&W supported those guns until the parts were literally gone, and kept making some parts long after they stopped making the guns. Right now if your 3rd Gen Smith is unfixable, they will give you an M&P gratis, which I think is pretty stand up of them. I think I've heard of them giving sweetheart deals on 1911's to broken 3rd gen owners as well.

Likewise, Ruger hasn't made security/service/speed sixes in a very long time, but will do what they can to fix one, and if they can't will gift you with a brand new GP-100, even if, in one case I know of, the guy bought it used in a pawn shop a couple of weeks before, and was very up front about it.