These Turley knives.....

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by gohammergo, Aug 18, 2019.

1. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    So, I hide it well :33: but I do have an interest in the Turley knives everyone seems to like so much.

There is a nice one for sale on the trade blanket, and I like that style of blade. I also have a decent final job payment coming on Monday. :D:D:D

What sets these knives apart from others, in your opinion?

I know about the hand crafting and such, and this looks like a sweet blade. I have knives on O1 steel, so I am familiar with it. Is there something about the way he treats the steel, or the grind of it? Something that would make this knife cut better or hold an edge better than any other quality knife of the same steel?

Not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into buying it, or out of buying it, but I'm looking for some fresh Turley input. :dblthumb:

2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have avoided Turley's because I know very well that the quality of them will blow me away. I will be forced to sell all my other knives and then I will be fully addicted to Turley's! :cool:

freebirdfb, Pharmer, Merk3030 and 4 others like this.
  3. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've never used one, but from my armchair analysis I'd say the varied height grind is fairly unique.
    His overall designs aesthetic is even more unique. He often is open about where his design inspirations came from.
    His packaging and marketing are probably the biggest thing that separates him from other makers. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. His knives seem to have a story behind them before they ever get used.
    I think it's a whole package deal that sets his knives apart, probably more so than performance, but I can't say for certain.

4. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    Maybe a Turley would be worth that? :33::33::33:

5. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had a few knives in my time. I've even had an early Turley!

In my opinion, they were highly overpriced for what they were. 01 steel for how much!

But, IZ had a vendor forum here, was highly respected, and put out a decent knife. There was a frenzy for them! I never liked most of the handle color combos or lack of contouring. They reminded me of ugly broomstick handles. Lots of guys love them though!

I was on his list for a Green River. When my number came up, I just couldn't justify the cost for one. I couldn't get past paying that much for 01.

Seems his shine has worn down a bit. I guess like a lot of makers, he made a name for himself here and took off for greener pastures on Instagram or wherever. I hope he is doing well!

So not much help my friend. I can't justify paying even the current used prices for such small knives in 01.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  6. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No matter what kind, addiction is funny that way, it's always worth it. :)

freebirdfb, Sandcut, Pharmer and 4 others like this.
  7. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah my comment has less to do with Turley knives and more to do with finding that ONE knife maker that does everything right for the collector who uses them.

For me, it likely would NOT be Turley knives but maybe Dave Wenger knives..... if I had to pick ONE maker.

ExAF1N1, freebirdfb, Pharmer and 4 others like this.
  8. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    And, honestly, that's kind of where I am with that too. It may be the cool factor that is pulling me towards it. :) I will freely admit that. But it sure is a pretty knife. :)

freebirdfb, UAHiker, Pharmer and 3 others like this.
  9. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just be careful who you buy from, apparently a lot of people have been burned buying Turleys on the secondary market, several times here even (apparently) .

JV3, Lichen, freebirdfb and 7 others like this.
  10. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wasn’t aware of that!

Oh my!

11. ugashooter

ugashooter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Iz makes knives with unique grinds and designs. Definitely paying for some details/artistry in my opinion but I dig em. They are great knives, but you can do the same things with cheaper options as well. I’ve been bitten by the bug recently as well.

By the way, his knives usually sell out in seconds when listed. He sells 10 or so knives a month through his website, but communicates mostly through Instagram.

5F935770-EF87-49E0-876B-07E087C02ED7.jpeg BBB22F93-735C-46DD-B621-4A609BC4D64D.jpeg 84329859-713A-4DD9-8276-EAB8D26E1B0E.jpeg

ExAF1N1, JV3, Madwell and 15 others like this.
  12. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The convex grind has some Voodoo I am not yet able to explain fully. It really seems to lend stability to the edge the other grinds do not. If you combine a convex with a higher hardness it could give the O-1 edge holding abilities that seem impossible. Even when the final angles seem close to identical.

JV3, freebirdfb, gohammergo and 3 others like this.
  13. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You won’t have any trouble buying from @Phantom X if that’s the one you like.

The old school Dogwood from @Wandy is a safe bet too I’m sure. I think that was mine several years ago. The old ones seemed to have a different very sharp edge to them compared to any of the newer ones I had.

14. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    It's the dogwood I was thinking about. :)

15. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's basically how I feel about them as well. I really like how a few of his blades look and always wanted to try one (esp the green river) but that much for any knife (let alone O1) is just not realistic for me...

16. Pharmer

Blog Posts:
    You won’t have any trouble buying from @Phantom X if that’s the one you like.
    I think he’s referring to knifecraft/ Silvia but I could be wrong? @Wasp ?

17. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I hadn't looked to see whose selling them now, I just know its happened and under several names, sometimes multiple simulataneous accounts even and on more than one forum.

Then there was someone bumping the scam thread the other day. Lol

Anyway, I was just advising caution, not about anyone specific. Not trying to scare anyone from a sale or anything.

JV3, freebirdfb, Merk3030 and 2 others like this.
  18. Pharmer

Blog Posts:
    It was Turley himself that kind of put a fork in them for me.

That sham of a knife club he under delivered on and then a few issues I considered warranty worthy that he did not.

I was on his wait list but declined when he contacted me. I used to be a huge fan and once had a lot of his knives. I have one Green River at home that was a gift from a friend I won’t sell and a Gasconade that Sargent has had for a few years that he was supposed to be putting scales on and build a sheath for me. I guess that one is history now though.

XMP, Berner9, JV3 and 9 others like this.
  19. Pharmer

Blog Posts:
    Always a good idea to ask around if you aren’t sure. Do your homework folks.

Berner9, JV3, freebirdfb and 3 others like this.
  20. Catahoula35

Catahoula35 American savage Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Im definitely going to get burned at the stake for this.... here goes... iz took the already legendary cutting ability of randall made knives and improved it. He took his o1 MUCH more thin than people are comfortable with today... the performance of his knives are absolutely unquestionable. However... in todays market there are some makers that have passed up the heavily voodooed turley grind. Better steel, thinner geometrys = better blade. I know this for fact because ive owned around 8 turleys... loved every single one. However, a big d knife in cpm m4, pd-1, and cpm 154, will out class a turley... and its cheaper. Not cheap. Just cheaper. It eases through wood like butter and once you learn how to maintain a steel like m4... it will make you wonder why m4 isnt the standard. Its like anything else. Proper tools for the job. I wont say turley knives are obsolete but ill say that better options are available for less money.

21. Wandy

Wandy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Burned how? Could you be more specific?

22. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Some people were buying them and never receiving a knife.

23. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Turley used to have more reasonable prices, and a waiting list years long. Some people were buying his knives, and turning around and selling them for almost double the price! So he decided that he would start selling them for higher prices since obviously the market would bear it.

I wish I could have afforded one (probably a gasconade or Green River) before the price went up, but I can't really blame Turley for deciding to do it. His knives are fairly unique and distinctive, and he has a good reputation. His name is pretty well known. I can't afford one, but I'd definitely buy one if I could.

XMP, gohammergo, JV3 and 8 others like this.
  24. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There are no magic knives, there are many well made knives and great made knives for sure. If you like the blade as you see it and you can afford it then give it a try. If it is not for you then pass it on. I bought an AA Forge knife and an as soon as it was in my hands within a day it was for sale. Quality-steel--everything was fine....I just didn't like the feel of it, too big for my hand. Others I've bought and just not used for what ever reason so I sent them along. Had a one of kind Turley prototype bought for high dollar in the crazy auction days, no buyers remorse, sold it few years later for what I considered a good price and bought a nice rifle and assorted necessary gear. Recently bought a Gasconade at a price I thought was fair. Got a sheath, fire steel and the whole Turley box of goodies. I'm happy. I was concerned about the somewhat broomstick handle, but I like the fit of the knife I got. It's a keeper for me.

One see's all the knifes offered for sale here and elsewhere, I'd say if it appeals to you and again you can afford the blade, give 'em a try....pass on what does not work for you or you cannot afford.

I'll keep my eye open for a green river .......but I'm in no hurry........maybe someday....maybe not....

XMP, gohammergo, JV3 and 7 others like this.
  25. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0826.jpeg IMG_0668.jpeg IMG_0682.jpeg I like the grind and overall look of the Gasconade, bought mine on the used market for a fair price and I really like the knife. I own a few FF, a Randall and a bunch of other one off custom knives as well many BR and LT Wright knives. They are all tools and some do work better than others for specific tasks. As a woods knife the design and grind of the Turley Gasconade is pretty much perfect for my use. I will pick up a Green River when I find one on the used market with the price and color combination I like. I don’t really need some super steel and have found no real advantage to having super steel as compared to 01 for my type of uses. If I can get a super steel at a price I like in the design I like I will buy that steel, if not then 01 will work just as well for me. I don’t buy knives based on the steel or the maker, if the knife speaks to me I buy it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    gohammergo, Merk3030, mjh and 4 others like this.
  26. UAHiker

UAHiker Guide

Blog Posts:
    ditto. never had one but like you can't justify paying the cost for the knife. i saw several years ago a turley on auction go for almost $2K

27. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ah yes, those heady days of the knife bubble around here years back. A time when certain knife makers were trying various gimmicks and selling strategies, while others made a small fortune playing the secondary market.

Turley had the knife club thing, AS had their lottery plus the timed postings of batches that sold out in seconds and were more akin to a feeding frenzy. Good times.

But the Turley secondary market was truly something to behold back then. Certain folks would post on a Monday that they just received their “grail knife” and that they would be buried with it and by Tuesday it was up for sale as an auction with a reserve price of about twice what they paid from the man himself.

Those were the days...

28. Newtown Mark

Newtown Mark Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nothing sells like well managed scarcity.

29. rb40

rb40 Old Gringo Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    A few year's back I had been on Iz's waiting list about 3 years...wanted a Green River, I got an email from Iz saying my slot had come up...well the Green River I wanted ...Iz told me was gonna cost me damn near 800.00.

Long story short..I didn't get the Green River...I setteled for a well thought out Gasconade...for about 300.00 less than the Green River....IMO the Gasconade is Turley's best offering...:42:
    40241492632_c071a4f76d_z.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    xrayit, XMP, gohammergo and 8 others like this.
  30. SamD

SamD Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

These 3 Turley's were mine at one point in time the only one I still have is the Prototype Gen 1 Z-SERE at the bottom of the picture. The other two have moved on to other homes. :)

31. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The fit, the feel and the enjoyment of using one. I also believe from my dealings with Iz he is a top shelf guy.

32. roadwarrior

Blog Posts:
    You did not settle you just got a smaller knife. The Gasconade is an awesome knife, I have had 2 and I own a Green River. As you said I also think the Gasconade is the best.

gohammergo, rb40, Pharmer and 2 others like this.
  33. tiny80022

tiny80022 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I never understood the hype either. They seem like great knives but overpriced in my opinion. I've seen his early stuff go for upwards of $700. I just dont see where it's worth it, just my 2 cents. I hear his customer service is second to none though. To each their own I always say....

34. roadwarrior

Blog Posts:
    There was a time when Iz's knives were going for around 3 times there original cost. When he left the site his prices dropped then he closed his list and that did not help. I bought all my Turley's at or below new pricing so I hope to never loose but he is making knives on a shorter list and more product is getting out there. If you are out there Iz I hope all is well.

gohammergo, ugashooter and RI Chevy like this.
  35. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have to say I never understood the concept of spending hundreds on a custom knife , much less waiting years for it . I do not buy the notion that there is anything I will be able to do with a Turley or SET or AS high dollar knife that I can’t do with a good quality basic well built stock over the counter knife . At the end of the day it’s a knife , that’s it . I mean, if someone wants to spend $500 on a custom hammer , more power to them . I’m not criticizing it . But it isn’t going to beat nails in wood any better than a $25 hammer from HD . It just isn’t . And a sharp knife is a sharp knife, with variations for usage , but that’s about it.

An $800 knife better have some elvish magic forged into it. Glow blue in the presence of bears and kill them with one stab from the magic knife or something . :)

gohammergo and RI Chevy like this.
  36. RI Chevy

RI Chevy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just matters whether or not you want to drive a VW or a Mercedes. Personal preference...

gohammergo, Captnstabn and ugashooter like this.
  37. ugashooter

ugashooter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m sure you weren’t implying offense. That said, I’m (rather) certain no one is buying the knives you referenced expecting magic in performance or actuality. Believe it or not, there are aspects of “higher end” consumer products that are actually higher end. Fit, finish, special grinds, and details a great maker or craftsman puts into their work IS something that can be appreciated without a person looking for “magic.” I personally don’t waste my money on knives I can pick up behind the counter at the local Walmart, because they don’t interest me. I don’t appreciate them, and therefore I wouldn’t enjoy using them. That said, some people love going through life bragging about the fact that they get to point B from point A with (insert Mora or entry level Japanese vehicle) without the need for anything that the rest of us are “overspending” on. As long as we all enjoy the ride, who gives a damn?

xrayit, XMP, crossada and 3 others like this.
  38. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I tried to buy a Turley back in the early days but the handles were too small and the maker was not interested in changing them.

ugashooter and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  39. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

The magic reference was humor , of course . LOTR humor , to be precise . No offense intended :)

I have used tools daily for 45 yrs , everything from saws to knives , screwdrivers, pliers, socket sets , cordless tools , you name it . Most every tool you could think of except machinist tools . It’s what I have done for a living since I got out of high school in the late 70s. I understand high end vs low end tools . But in terms of actual usage there is a limit to which dollars improve quality and functionality . After that limit is reached paying extreme top dollar becomes something besides wanting top quality vs average quality . I know the difference between a $10 hacksaw and a $40 hacksaw . I also know that if someone is paying $200 for a hacksaw it isn’t because the saw performs so much better than the $10 one . Something more is in play . A few years ago I had my 35 yr old leather tool pouch stolen. Broke my heart even though I rarely use it anymore and spend my time pointing with my finger nowadays . I bought a new synthetic variety and hated it . Finally found a similar leather one at Sears of all places , and gladly paid a little more than the synthetic one. But I would not have paid $200 for a $50 tool pouch to get away from a $20 polyester one . As I said, there is a limit upon which the cost improves functionality.

But if that’s what people want, more power to them . As I said, I’m not criticizing, just giving my opinion that the dollars are not being spent because the knife is that much better than a decent well built stock knife .

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Kona9 and ugashooter like this.
  40. wvtracker14

wvtracker14 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    If its still available its worth the coin. That knife was my first Turley, actually I think it was my first custom knife I enjoyed using it and would have never sold it if I hadn't needed money for another Turley ;)

gohammergo, xrayit and RI Chevy like this.