Things in an emergency kit (woods roaming)

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by plumberoy, Jan 8, 2019.

1. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    As to not high jack the airplane crash priority list thread . What uncommon things do you carry?
    Mine is something I read in field and stream many years ago. Tea stuff metal cup teas sugar and a couple good shortbread cookies. Reasoning> If turned around lost etc. Biulding a small fire making a hot drink and having a snack calms you gives time to get your thoughts together . Hopefully gets you out of panic mode

2. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry a haversack with a metal cup, bottle of water, fire kit, compass, whistle, knife, poncho, some cordage and some snacks. Sometimes I have an Esbit stove and fuel as well. Pretty much the same reasoning as you, plus, unless it's the dead of winter, I could endure one night with what I'm carrying.

LarryB, bacpacjac, MrFixIt and 14 others like this.
  3. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    As taught HM Armed Forces & Mountain Leader Course(s) to carry a 24 hours mini ration pack which contains some high energy sustenance snacks, all at present are contained within a plastic Sistema® container. the brew kit, a ration of tea, coffee, or hot chocolate, sachets of powdered milk & sugar, Oxo cubes (beef drink) or a sachet of soup, chocolate bar optional Mars or Snickers bar, Kendal mint cake, boiled sweets *preferably barley sugar, Lucozade Energy Orange Glucose tablet/sweets & chewing gum. Optional - as these items maybe carried elsewhere within your EDC kit, water purifying tablets, fuel tablets, matches, poly bag, whistle, pencil, button compass, foil blanket (1.5m x 2m), & survival instructions. *A British Army style 24 Hour operational ration pack contain 3 main meals & snacks etc for a total of 4000 calories to fully sustain one active person for 24 hours. *A standard 51g Mars bar contains 229 calories, including 8.7 grams of fat & 4.2 grams of saturated fat. This serving size has 35.1 grams of carbohydrates, of which 30.4 grams are from sugar. Do the Math for the contents of the smaller EDC 24 hour ration pack. :)
    Regards
    David

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:

The cookie idea is a good one and one that I teach in my classes because it deals with the physiology of panic.

Generally, folks getting lost in the woods have been hiking or working and are dealing with low blood sugar anyway. Bring in a little panic from realizing that you are lost (or injurred, etc.) and your body releases stress hormones (cortisol and adrenaline), which burn blood sugar for a short while to help get you out of trouble. The problem is, once that wears off, people tend to bottom out on available blood sugar. So now you are left being tired, possibly injured, possibly hypothermic (which affects metabolism) and seriously lacking in available blood sugar. Since the brain needs lots of sugar to function properly, most leople make bad decisions at this point because their brain is addled by both external and internal conditions.

So I teach people to sit down and have a snack.

The snack refuels the body and the brain. The sitting forces people to calm themselves and look at things a little more slowly, which in turn, allows for better, less rash decision making.

And besides, shortbread cookies and a cup of tea are just about the epitome of true civilization. You can't be scared while in civilization. ;)

5. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I guess I don’t carry anything uncommon. All my items I carry are rather common and easily found at any sporting goods or camping store. I guess Knowledge? Sometimes is not what you have but what you can do with what you have that makes the difference. What can you do with a roll of toilet paper in a ziplock bag? How many different things can it do? Besides the obvious.

6. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yelp , l mainly drink loose leaf teas. But carry bigalow constant comment and enough sugar to make a couple cups of sweet tea . As far as shortbread cookies the good ones have an ingredient list that reads: flour butter sugar salt . Walker's are the most common good ones. I have set under a tarp and drank tea with cookies waiting out a storm more than once

7. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    A brew kit should be part of a woods bumming kit.

8. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I definitely agree on having a snack. That's the reason I've decided to keep a couple things in my PSK, some that need cooked and some that don't. Even when I'm just out messing around in the woods around my house, when I get cold and tired I don't feel like building a fire. I know how my mind works - I know I lose motivation quick when something happens. So a quick snack would be essential for me if I was stuck out somewhere, lost, and trying not to panic.

9. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    my day pack is set up in a way that I could endure an overnight if necessary, as far as food, I carry a couple cliff bars, couple small pkg of nuts, Jerky, couple individual pkgs of oat meal, as well as tea.

10. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A piece of candy or two. Blood sugar can play tricks on you.

11. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm like you guys. After talking to a Brit recon soldier years ago who informed me "a good brew up can save your soul" I carry a way to cook up some coffee to go along with Clif bars. Made a big difference the last time my wife was out with me. We sat down on a large outcropping, and I popped out coffee and Clif bars on a day that turned to light freezing rain on the way back.
    All the difference in the world.

12. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Jerky, a couple of Cliff bars, some nuts and a couple of hard candies in addition to teabags and some instant coffee. For a hard candy Werthers is my go to brand.

13. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A picture of your family, or whatever keeps you going is awfully valuable too. It's helpful in a situation to be reminded of why you need to keep going and succeed in self-rescue (or as close as you can or need to get to it).

14. Tom Eickenberg

Tom Eickenberg Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I normally carry something to eat and water even when out for the afternoon exploring my own land. Since joining BCUSA I started carrying tea and something to heat the water in.

15. Kenneth

Kenneth Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Good idea, I carry granola snack bars and Ritz cheese and crackers (and anything the kids like). I keep Belvita cracker in my work bag, package says 4 hours of energy. Do you know the issue of Field and Stream, month and year? I think I would like to read the article. Thanks and

GOD Bless you and your family

Kenneth

16. Kenneth

Kenneth Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Tootsie rolls and caramel squares.

Edit: lifesavers candy

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  17. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree about the "stop and eat/drink something" idea. I pretty much always have some food items with me...granola bars, nuts, some jerky. I carry a little brew kit and a couple tea bags, too, and just enough basic gear to spend a (real cold and probably near-sleepless :D) night out.

Probably the oddest item I carry a lot is a penny whistle...it makes a super-piercing signal whistle, with the added entertainment value of being able to play actual tunes on it.

18. Tom Eickenberg

Tom Eickenberg Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the penny whistle idea, I had one once, they are piercing

19. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The sit down and drink some tea thing to relax and collect your thoughts got me thinking of a story I read that was written by a Buddhist Monk. I don't remember the details, but I think it involved an American or British military unit engaged in some battle in some type of heavily forested terrain. They found out they were surrounded and vastly outnumbered the enemy. To engage them would be guaranteed death, but to at the same time, they would soon be overrun so they did not have a choice, by the way it looked there was no where to run either.

The person in charge ordered the troops to make tea, which they did. Shortly after the next report stated the enemy was no longer headed in the direction of their position.

The one thing that I will always take with me, is the makings of an emergency shelter to live out a cold night. It also depends on the time of year, but I also like to take a steel water carrier and cup. Many times I will have other bushcraft type stuff on me that will also improve my situation. If I'm just in the woods in town there is no emergency kit, but I always have my phone, yes I now it has its many shortfalls.

20. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois For God and Country Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Unusual items?
    Well on top of my usual things to carry,
    I carry 3 electronic red glow sticks that blink. That way even if I'm sleeping I still have a means of emergency signaling.

I also have a small baggie of Ricolas. Kinda goes with the whole hot drink thing IMO. Sometimes just having something to chew/suck on can boost a little morale.
    Plus if you let them percolate in water long enough they make an impromptu herbal tea on their own.

21. Oakenhart

Oakenhart Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm a fan of having English breakfast tea and honey packets in my kit,along with the brew kit to make it. I guess the odd thing in my kit is horehound candy and lemon drops,nice for a quick sugar boost,and quite tasty dissolved in tea to replace the honey. Doesn't hurt that the combination is nice for a sore throat or mild cough.

22. lopie

lopie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have not yet bought an "electronic whistle" yet, but am going to. A friend who sells self-defense supplies pointed out that if you're unable to properly use a whistle, then you need another option. For example, this is urban survival, but if someone attempts to kidnap my wife and they've put their hand over her mouth, she cannot blow the whistle, she can still activate the electronic whistle. This seems like it would definitely apply to wilderness survival.

My wife's friend sells Damsel in Defense products and the whistle they have is apparently 115db

Other items I carry that I don't see many carry are some medical items benadryl (diphenhydramine), albuterol inhaler, and activated charcoal. I know @Harper promotes benadryl

Punisher, freebirdfb, Barry J and 7 others like this.
  23. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh, Benadryl and an old Indian herb called chokembutt. The herb can be purchased in it's commercial form over the counter as Immodium.

24. lopie

lopie Scout

Blog Posts:
    "chokembutt" was my ex-wife's indian name. She was very uptight.

25. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    honey and a bit of fresh ginger root as well as going good with the tea.............they can double as wound care honey is an antibiotic and so is ginger put some honey on the wound a thin slice of ginger on top of that then a wet tea bag and a bandage....it cleans heals and prevents infection.

26. Oldguy59

Oldguy59 Scout

Blog Posts:
    In addition to all the normal stuff, knives, fire, water, snacks, extra layers etc..I carry a deck of playing cards and sometimes a book.
    Sit back have some coffee read enjoy the peace and quiet. Sorry that’s a normal hike. Also works if you get lost and have to wait for rescue.

27. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Guide

Blog Posts:
    I keep snacks due to a blood glucose issue. My dad keeps a dehydrated backpacker's dessert in his bag. Hard to panic when you're eating a strawberry dessert. ;)

28. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Excellent thread, thanks!
    In addition to the food and drink, I like to have my harmonica. I love to play it and it always raises my spirits.

29. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    Two sticks and a log, and you always have a drum set!

30. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A diabetic friend recommended the hard candy called "Smarties". I'm not diabetic, but I carry candy and an albuterol inhaler. To a diabetic or bad allergy person, that could save a life. Plus, I now have candy.

EDIT: I started doing this before I was playing in the woods. I used to play in bands with guys that I knew were diabetic. One of our longtime gigs was outdoors (sort of in the woods), a long ways from civilization.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I'm not in this picture, but these are my friends. That's my keyboard (with the Hammond drawbars). The nearest town of any consequence is 20 miles away.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  31. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to carry a pocket edition of Emily Dickinson’s poems, before I let it get thoroughly wet one time. I’ve always liked her poetry, a lot, but it’s not something I will sit around and read at home. Out in the woods, though, it’s just right... or I am often in just the right frame of mind to read and enjoy a few at a time.

Now, on overnighters, I usually take my Kindle Paperwhite. I’m a big reader anyway; in winter sundown comes early and I’m spending a lot of time under my tarp in the dark; and, it’s a good source of diffuse light with a battery charge that lasts and lasts.

But, it’s just not the same. I should get a new copy of that Pocket Emily Dickinson, especially for day rambles with a haversack.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pocket-Emi...004290&sr=8-2&keywords=pocket+emily+dickinson

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  32. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  33. NJStricker

NJStricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Maybe not unusual, but a couple Starbucks Vias. Sugar and caffeine.

I also carry a predator call. I like to sit and see what shows up.

34. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  35. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    See...this is how cannibalism starts. That wound care is starting to sound tastier than it should.

36. NJStricker

NJStricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just don’t start carrying fava beans and Chianti

37. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, unless it's a hollow log full of bees, then it starts to sound like one of those rain sticks!!

Barry J, Scrubs, lopie and 2 others like this.
  38. PACoureurDuBois

Blog Posts:
    A very pi$$ed off rain stick!

39. lopie

lopie Scout

Blog Posts:
    lol

I told my kids not to step on logs for this reason. Then I told them to look at the other side of the log for a rattlesnake up against the log before stepping over.

they just looked at me like "why are we out here again?"

40. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's a brilliant idea! Thanks!! :D

41. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    haha!~~ KIDS!!

42. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carry a deck of playing cards. If lost, I will start a game of Solitaire. Before I finish, someone will be along saying "Move that stack over there. And that stack over here." And I'm found.
    Or I could just start batoning wood with a rat tang Gerber BG and wait for a bushcrafter to jump out screaming at me!

43. LAKE CLARK

LAKE CLARK Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    Living with the "Giant" Alaska Coastal Brown Bears
    Two cans of sardines in each pack. And "Pop Tarts", and ten 16d common nails, couple of rolls of survey tape.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  44. smithj01

smithj01 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Frequently the woods are pink..

45. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Guide

Blog Posts:
    After a fellow stopped his car outside my designated roadside camping spot one night and sat there for a minute, I've thought about adding a cheap door alarm chime that could be rigged with a tripwire. Animals don't scare me much, but the thought of someone walkng into my camp when I'm sleeping just bothers me.

46. Deep Rooted

Deep Rooted Tracker

Blog Posts:
    1. A type of French healing ointment called Vegebom. It is truly the best thing I have ever used for wounds. Better than Neosporin but it's kind of hard to find. I have a tube in every FAK.
    2. A deck of Edible Plants playing cards.
    3. Heavy professional throwing darts in an Altoids-type of tin along with collapsible arrow heads and fishooks.

47. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not that unusual, but I carry two cotton cloth baby diapers. I find they are much more useful than a regular bandana. Plus, they are 100% cotton, so they can be used for char cloth.
    I also carry a portion of a turkey leg bone. I boiled it and got all of the marrow out, so it is hollow. I use this for blowing an ember into flame.
    Also, bamboo chopsticks. I prefer to use them rather than a fork.
    I drink my coffee black. So I just keep some instant coffee in a plastic container.

Midwest.Bushlore and bacpacjac like this.
  48. Sleepswithbears

Sleepswithbears Tracker

Blog Posts:
    nails and a length of steel wire can be very handy. might want a multitool to go along with the wire but I don't see that as a draw back

49. Larsen

Larsen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not as inspirational as all the rest, but i carry a thermometer. Its nice to know how cold it's getting, and if I should rekindle a fire in the middle of the night. If it's above freezing I tell myself to suck it up. I should just paint a red line and I'll always be warmer!

IMG_20190206_125702343.jpg

50. Sleepswithbears

Sleepswithbears Tracker

Blog Posts:

Being able to read weather I've always thought is a great skill. Even if its as simple as knowing the norms of your local area. That way with a glance to the sky and a face to the wind you have an idea of what weather to expect. The thermometer is an absolute help. Additionally a barometer may be of use if you know how to read it and what the readings mean.

Learning weather is a rabbit hole that includes so much information. Information leads to knowledge and knowledge is power.

LongChinJon and Tom Eickenberg like this.