This Bow may Explode - Build Along???

Discussion in 'Archery' started by KS49, Jul 30, 2015.

1. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is a Boo-Ipe bow I started earlier this summer. Work got busy and all the rain here kept me from working on it.

[​IMG]

But, I found a small hole in the wood as I was tillering and this is whats left now that it is ready for brace. The pinhole is also in almost the worst location possible, right out of the Fade.

[​IMG]

Basically, what I thought was a remnant of a pin knot is (I think) the remnant of a bug track. If this was a white wood, it would already be firewood, but Ipe is amazing stuff so I am going to try and take this to full tiller. It may collapse in compression but so far, it has held. The wood isn't "punky" around the blemish and it isn't that close the edge. It is entirely likely I'll just learn something from a failure, but I gotta give it a shot.

Besides, if it fails, I have this lovely slab of Osage to play with.

[​IMG]

There's enough wood here for 8-10 Boo-Osage bows if it doesn't turn out to be reaction wood when resawn.

Sidmand, if ya want an Osage slat just shoot me a PM.

Ken

IF it does fail, I'll do some forensic engineering and post the results. Otherwise I'll just continue the build along

2. bam7765

bam7765 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you need some help getting rid of that osage I'll be glad to help. Looking good so far. I hope things go well when you go to brace. I have had them snap so I know its a nervous time. You have done a fine job so far though thanks for posting.

3. sidmand

sidmand Guide

Blog Posts:
    Holy cow! I can't imagine how big a Bodark tree that was to get a slab that size, that's crazy! I can't see the growth rings; if it's going to be backed then growth rings don't matter. But that side with the sap wood (right side in pic) looks like you could just split off a long stave, chase that first ring down from there, and have a beautiful self bow!

I would just run with that Ipe too. I have been amazed at how tough Ipe is so far and I would be almost unconcerned with that hole except for it being right in the fade. But, I think it will work, you got the skills to complete it.

4. nigermk

nigermk Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is a gorgeous piece of osage!

5. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it certainly seams like a good piece. I'll find out tomorrow when I start to saw it up. I've got a rare weekend, I get to putter in the workshop. WooHoo.

6. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry that it's been a bit since I started this thread.

I tried my best but the Ipe refused to fail. So I have another bow to add to my collection. Here it is with the first coat of poly applied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a close-up of what I thought was a fatal flaw. It is now filled with wood dust and CA glue.

[​IMG]

The bow next to it is a rehandle job I did on what is one of my favorite shooters to date.

7. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is what the handle looked like before I re-contoured it.

[​IMG]

Also, this is what happened to that Osage plank.

[​IMG]

5 boards 1-1/2 x 1 x 72. Each can be ripped in half and 2 bow slats made for Boo backing. With a nice Bloodwood power-lam, I get this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need tip overlays and then I can tiller.

8. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA En. Life Member GOA Member Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice work! I wouldn't expect that tiny bug hole would give you any problems, so long as you weren't pushing your luck with layout or design to begin with. CA or epoxy and sawdust is the common "fix" for small blems (if any). Dutchman's plugs for larger, and scalloped patches for last ditch, fatal flaws. Ipe is weird stuff, though. I've had grain separation issues with it in compression, unlike anything else I've used. That osage is king!

9. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The limbs were almost 1-1/4 @ fades and the bow draws 47# @ 30". I figure I could have made the limbs just under 1-1/8 @ the fades (based on the final thickness of .600) So I did have some cushion to work with. Actually, if it was 1-1/8, rhe flaw may have been on the edge which would have been fatal.

The Osage has an SG of ~.80 so I have high hopes. This is my first BBO so it will be a learning experience. The target is 40# @ 30" and the bow is 65" ntn with a 6" handle area (slightly bendy) and will be ~1-1/8 at the fades for 6" and them tapering to 7/16" nocks. 1-1/2" of reflex. Pre-tapered everything before glue-up. Tight rings on the Osage and this is the quartersawn piece from the edge of the plank. I'm saving the flat sawn pieces for a give away bow this fall. But I want to do some test builds to learn the Osage.

Ken

10. sidmand

sidmand Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your gonna love that Osage Ken, it's awesome stuff!

11. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty excited about the Osage. It is some gorgeous wood and it hand tools nicely (though I do need to sharpen more often)

12. Indiana Woodsman

Indiana Woodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. I just finished tillering out a hickory flat long bow. It's 64 inches 50 pounds at 28 inches draw. Shot my first arrows through it tonight. My first bow. [​IMG]

13. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    That looks to be pretty good tiller. You ought to post a full draw side view.

Ken

14. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    KS49 if you are going to back the osage with boo you can put a perry refelex into the layup and boost your performance but if doing tri-lams you wont benefit from the principal since the shear forces will be acting against the compression on all the lams vs the solid dimensional piece. All of them are looking good.