Discussion in 'Project MUD' started by Mudman, Jul 19, 2014.
Got some of this stuff that looks just like granite(?)
Cut up the pieces for Cloudwizard's wild handle combo.
Bottom base is .030 Red G10, 1/8'' Tan Canvas Micarta, followed by another .030 Red G10 layer
Up top is Spalted, Pitted, Stabilized Hawaiian Koa, then another layer of the G10 and Micarta, and finally a Carbon Fiber bolster.
Had a small window today before a storm moved in. Wanted to try surface grinding some handle material, so I grabbed the CF pieces that needed to be reduced about 1/4'' in thickness.
I attached them using 2 side tape on a piece of O1 (what I had on hand), wondering about the material possibly being slung- I use a piece of scrap steel to support any forward shifting of the handle material.
The first attempt was a success
Nice and flat
With that success I also flattened some African Bubinga that was quite warped and bumpy.
Again I was happy with the result
Shortly after, the storm rolled through. So I cleaned up for the day.
Ended up getting soaked while moving everything back under a tarp.
Here is the earlier handle material being glued up.
Very cool Mud... very cool indeed bro!!!
Thank you sir!
So let me throw this out there, since I'm sure some folks are wondering. I tend to do what I feel most comfortable with that particular day. I've learned the hard way a dead set agenda throws me off balance and leads to screw ups, thus my random steps showing different knives I'm working on.
Surface grinding scales flat- I'm really liking this process!
Here is CW's knife scales all glued up and squared.
I took it to 1200 grit and buffed on side with white compound on a 1'' stitched cotton wheel, to get a rough idea how the end result will be. Something I'm glad I did, because it helped me discover how pitted the wood is (I really like the way it looks personally). This lets me know I need to hit it with an air source, then seal up with some tru-oil before buffing. Otherwise the pores get clogged with compound as seen below. Aside from that- I am quite pleased with the end result so far, all the pieces are butted tight with no gaps.
Another project I've been ultra behind on. Special request was something light enough for neck carry but still fills the hand nicely. Design by a friend.
Cleaned up and ready for heat treat.
Cleaned up to 600 grit
Hidden lanyard hole
Front of scales beveled with a slight curve. Taken to 600 grit and polished, wood is African Bubinga
I'm the exact same way. If I try to force myself to do something on a day I'm not feelin' it I'm 100% sure to screw it up!
Love that handle! Great job.
Your stuff is Bad A$$. Keep goin'
Thanks! I still got a lot to learn, many of the little things I learned along the way were from other members on here.
Reuben's neck knife just about done. Botched the plunge cut on one side- made me realize I need contacts. Tried wearing glasses under my full face respirator, and it was a no go. Sure feeling old now that I need glasses to grind steel.
Leather process for Reuben's knife.
Starts out as a blank cutout that I traced from paper.
Punch holes in corners for a smooth transition
Cut off excess
After a while I realized, I had made a left hand sheath! So I improvised and cut off the tab entirely. RB had the great idea of punching holes in the base of the sheath instead, further reducing weight. We all know how much of a weight weenie he is.
Wet formed, and glued in rough shape, with copper rivets near the opening and at the base. Bear stamp at RB's request.
Quick session on the sander to smooth things out and finalize my shape
Grooved, beveled, and overstitch wheel for my hole spacing.
Next step will be dying, stitching, peening the rivets, then seal.
Getting ready to stitch her up.
Here is RB's knife mostly done. Still got a few small touches, and my makers mark.
Sheath all stitched up, rivets getting ready for peening.
All done. This was my first time using rivets for an extra snug fit.
Along the way I realized I didn't have a good tool for setting the burr (washer) onto the rivet without deforming it. There are several people that sell them online, but some tools I just want to make myself if it's simple enough.
Took an old rusty piece of scrap steel, a quick session on the drill press and grinder ended up with the below photo.
Great job Mud
They both look good Mud. It's always much more satisfying to make and use your own tools.
Nice work GP!
Tell Reuben the rivet helps harden the sheath tip for digging
haha he just might.
Made a flashy sheath for the RB3. Recently decided to try a different stitching method for a different look. Haven't gotten where I wanted yet- but it's more practice. Also got some new thread called Ritza 25 which I absolutely dig.
Also did one for my prototype knife
Spent the last few weeks sick with a wicked cough, finally tapered off of it today and I was able to hit the shop. Didn't get to do too much, but it was nice doing some grinding.
Cloudwizard's handles finally getting excess material removed.
Tapered the front of the scales, with a mild curve to change things up.
Worked on a Kephart and one other knife close to done. Forgot to take photos of those, but here they are.