1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Those were your emergency rations?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Stone, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:48 PM.

1. Stone

Stone Supporter, Twirler of Embers

Blog Posts:
    I went to the glove box of my truck to get an air pressure gauge and found this.

20171012_111820.jpg

I just put these almonds in the glove box earlier this summer. Empty! Looks like I have mice in my truck.

Might want to keep the emergency non-perishable rations in a mouse proof box from now on...a word to the wise is sufficient.

pab1, gohammergo, SoreFeet and 30 others like this.
  2. will62

will62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a small plastic box with a few non perishable items in the cars. As an added precaution the lid is sealed with duct tape to reduce the chance of the little critters smelling my supplies.

pab1, rsnurkle, Badey and 3 others like this.
  3. OldMan

OldMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Metal would be better if you can find a good sealing container. Mice and some other critters can be rather tenacious and will chew through plastic to get at the goodies. I cache winter supplies in 5 gallon buckets buried, with different goods in double or tripled plastic baggies so there's a variety in each bucket good for 5-10 days along with other supplies. On a few occasions I've gone to a supply cache only to find that critters have burrowed down and chewed through the sides to get to the goodies. Hope the suckers broke their teeth on the dried pinto beans.

pab1, will62, hunter63 and 5 others like this.
  4. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    i just take one of the kids wherever i go that way its fresh and i can eat for a week......after all i can always have more kids.

pab1, Megalos, Badey and 1 other person like this.
  5. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I about gagged one day, I was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for the third day and one of the pieces of bread had a tiny hole. I picked up the loaf and a mouse had bored in from the back of the loaf, about 1/3 of the loaf through. Just a mouse sized hole.:26:

pab1, gohammergo, SoreFeet and 3 others like this.
  6. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I hope you get a couple of traps in there before they start crapping in your air vents and chewing your electrical wires.

pab1, Lichen, rsnurkle and 1 other person like this.
  7. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Maybe the mice just became your new emergency rations...

pab1, gohammergo, rsnurkle and 8 others like this.
  8. Stone

Blog Posts:
    I think I'll put some "TomCat" poison under the seat...

9. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My mini trapline is doing quite well this fall on the mice population.
    Nothing gets me more fired up than mice in my stuff.

pab1, rsnurkle, svh and 1 other person like this.
  10. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    And accessible food can lead to damaged wiring and upholstery and rodent urine and droppings.

pab1 and rsnurkle like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lost my share of stuff due to rats an squirrels .
    Squirrels were stealing eggs taking them from the cage 2' high off the ground where the nests are with out breaking them and rolling them through the chainlink fence and out the second chainlink fence and under a tree .
    These guys were smart too . I set up live traps and they learned not to touch the peanut butter but they loved the bird seed and chicken feed .
    But they'd learn how to defeat the cage and traps so hanging around and shooting them was the only alternative out side.
    I have a number of plastic buckets that rats got into so I've learned that lesson. however when they got in the house rat poison was the only thing that worked. So I have it in the areas my preps are kept. I hate poison with a passion, but there's no choice in the matter . Traps just don't work any more.

12. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I live in the woods, and have an ongoing battle with the little vermin in my vehicles. I don't use poison cause I have dogs, but I did put a black snake in an old travel trailer that was infested one time. It helped for a short while, but I never did find the snake again .....

13. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Mice ate him.....I have been battling them for years....mostly in the shed at "The Place" and in my garage at the city house....

Never had a problem in the garage when the old cat was around......but have had them eat thru a 2 gal plastic bucket to get at the poison..????...Dumb azz mice...I laughed and laughed.

Now I just leave the poison in that bucket with the hole in it.......Hey worked before.

pab1, SoreFeet and svh like this.
  14. Stone

Blog Posts:
    In my garage I had a container that the mouse/rat poison came in. Never got around to distributing it, then I noticed it was empty. Now I just put a container of the stuff on the floor and let the mice "self distribute" the poison based on their needs and desires.

pab1, SoreFeet, gdwigg and 2 others like this.
  15. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:

Yeah, weird? huh?

Had my chest waders hanging upside down on "boot hooks".....
    When I tried to put them on....the toes were stuffed with 'blue death"......How in the heck did they get that up there?

I now keep seeds and feed...as well as any food stashed in remote locations... in metal cans....as they will eat thru a plastic bucket.

pab1 and Stone like this.
  16. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I store my car food in a Pelican case. They are well worth the price.

pab1, blind & lost and Stone like this.
  17. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I store my various mouse/bird/rat/mole/rabbit carcasses inside my cat.

pab1, Stone and Wasp like this.
  18. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Reading these tales of the destructive eating habits of Rodents takes me back many years to about 1961.
    The merchant ship that I was a second trip Deck Boy in ( thought I was the Ancient Mariner with nearly a year's sea time..:D ) loaded, as deck cargo, a very expensive Daimler Limousine which was destined to become the official car for the British Governor of Hong Kong. We lashed the car down and covered it with tarpaulins as we loaded cargo in London's West India Dock.
    Some weeks later after a voyage via the Suez Canal and a couple of ports in India and beyond, we docked in Hong Kong Seaport. Uncovered the car ready for discharging cargo and found that there were no longer leather seats or complete carpets and even the leather covered door panels looked err...well chewed!! In those days the car seats had coil springs which now looked like the wire skeletons of some strange animals
    We never found out if it was British Rodents on a holiday voyage from London or hungry four legged passengers who came aboard uninvited at one of the ports we docked in, but we heard that the British Hong Kong Governor was not at all happy with his new transport....:D :D

pab1, blind & lost, JohnP and 3 others like this.
  19. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Found my "Cat Quiver" had been chewed into and the 15yr old PopTart that was in the pouch had been chewed into. The quiver was stored in an outdoors shed so was not too surprised when I discovered the intrusion. Got rid of the food source, moved the quiver up, off the ground and not too worried about it now. That would suck though to find evidence of the little bastards in my truck. There's a smorgasbords of goodies stored in it. I know though that there are no entry points for the little shits to get into the cab.

pab1 likes this.
  20. Stone

Blog Posts:
    That's what I thought...but I do leave the windows 'cracked' a bit in the summer to let the heat out. Plus, I don't know how it looks from a mouse-eye-view through the wiring harness or air vents. Tomorrow they get the TomCat treatment...

pab1 likes this.
  21. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    thats why everyone should have a trunk monkey and a glovebox cat

pab1 and Stone like this.
  22. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had a mouse build her nest between the gas tank and skid plate on my Jeep. No way to destroy the nest without removing the skid plate. I took me a year to finally trap her. She had two sets of babies in that nest. They didn't seem to mind road trips at all. You would think the noise, heat, dust, or movement would have annoyed them, but it seemed to have no effect.

Good luck in ridding your truck of the rodent.

JohnP

pab1 and blind & lost like this.
  23. Stone

Blog Posts:
    I think I had a bird nest in the truck undercarriage somewhere last summer. Birds would fly out from under the car every time I went by it. Lots of bird crap on the tires...using the side view mirror for a perch. Every time I'd come back from a short drive there would be adult birds greeting me and they could hardly wait til I stopped. We went for a several hours long rockhounding trip and my wife could hear "peeping" around the truck while out in the bush. Yep, "mobile habitat."

pab1 and blind & lost like this.
  24. Stone

Blog Posts:
    Rodent control measures were deployed in the truck today.

pab1 likes this.