Thoughts on multi peice rods

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Phisikos, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I own a cheap telescoping rod that I took backpacking and hated... I've got a light duty 1 peice that has been good but I'd like something a bit stiffer around 6' range.

I am hoping to get a 3 or 4 peice rod that'll be fine to use when size and weight don't matter, but also viable when I'm hitting the woods for a couple days.

So far I did some research online and found a few nice looking options around $40. Also saw at the local sporting goods store they sell a 6'6" 4 peice Ugly Still that looks good.

My biggest concern is that even rods with great overall reviews have a handful of folks who have had the rods break on them...

Open to any suggestions! I'm set on multi peice, and for now not worried about a reel until I get a rod.

Thanks in advance

DavidJAFO and ExAF1N1 like this.
  2. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a two piece that works okay, and an Eagle Claw tele that is okay, both spinning rods and made to fit my pack for motorcycle riding. They both work fine but the two piece is far better overall.

Otherwise I hate them. I bought a nice one once and it wasn't cheap because it was pretty sensitive. About the third cast it went to the middle of the lake and my line broke. I've also had one break right at the connection. Not a fan.

Phisikos likes this.
  3. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer

Blog Posts:
    Never had a problem, except I'm stupid appairently and cast my top section sometimes, i think thats operator error though. At least everyone else gets a good laugh.

Phisikos likes this.
  4. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Electric tape

Phisikos likes this.
  5. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think I've got that 4 piece ugly stick you saw, or a very similar model. It's a decent rod for the price, if you want one in that medium range.

I've got a couple 3 and 4 piece spinning rods that I like better though, a light, fast st Croix and an Okuma SST that's heavier. More expensive but also better actions. And a 4 piece 3wt fly rod that's great, a
    Temple fork. All been fine.

Actually, Ive got probably 35 rods all told, all kinds of brands and types, not more than a couple one piece among them, and never had any issue with breakage other than a few dumb accidents on any of them. I know it can happen, but I wouldn't worry a lot about that.

Phisikos and wingnuts like this.
  6. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently purchased a Quantum QX24 collapsible rod from Cabela's and have been impressed with it in use so far, though it has only been out a few times so not a long term test yet. However it is a carbon fiber rod which means that, without total abuse, it should not break easily and should be good for quite good sized fish.

You can see the rod here …. https://www.cabelas.com/product/fis...tum-telescoping-spin-rod/1739973.uts?slotId=0

It comes in a few sizes, I got the 6'6" Medium action, although I did buy mine with the reel ($40 instead of $25 with no reel). I believe you can get these rods from other suppliers as well, just happen to have a Cabela's nearby, but have no connection with them. It would also appear that Quantum is owned by Zebco (not sure if that is a good or bad thing!), but as I said, I have been impressed with my rod so far and at 20" packed length I can easily fit it in my ruck or put it in a PVC tube tied to the outside of my shoulder bag for day trips. Add a small box of hooks, lures and other paraphernalia in the bag and you are set to go.

Just my opinion.

OJ

Phisikos likes this.
  7. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Did some more research last night and Ugly Stik looks to be the only multi piece rod that's available in 6'. I'll be using it in a kayak eventually so i dont want to go too long. I'll look into telescoping options for the sake of being thorough now

8. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought the bass pro pack light 3 piece. I haven't had any problems with it at all. It's on sale now for $49, so it's pretty cheap for what I use it for. I have a pvc tube on my mountain bike it lives in, but also use it when regular trout fishing. I live around the corner from BP, so I watch for sales. Not saying this is the best, just the best and most convenient for me. Good luck!

Phisikos likes this.
  9. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    I had an original 4 piece Mitchell fishing rod 'poachers mate' as it was known & a pair of Vintage Mitchell 300 & 350 half bail spinning fishing reels. I found them in the grandparents attic years ago clearing out, when I lived out in the sticks. I gave them a dust down & they were good as new. The 4 piece Mitchell fiber glass rod (6 feet) broke down to 4 pieces & could fit the inside of a Barbour wax jacket hence the 'poacher mate' tag. ;) The rod went on a number of both fishing & Bushcraft trips into the woods as part of my EDC kit. 1 of the best rod & reels I ever used. The Mitchell 350 reel gave up the ghost & was used as spares for a 2nd 350 reel. :) I never had the issue of the sections coming apart but from experience & a keen angler when I was in my youth, bees wax rubbed on the connecting joints remembering to remove any excess, as you only want a a film of beeswax not clogging the joins. Scots Salmon anglers tape the rod connecting joints with electrical insulating tape, works a treat.
    Regards
    David
    Proverb: written on a old public house wall "Are all fishermen liars or do all liars fish"? :D

Phisikos likes this.
  10. coachp

coachp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently picked up a 5’ Ugly Stik 3-piece ultralight and have been very satisfied. It is not my only Ugly Stik take-apart and it is my choice of rod — I’ve never broken one and the fit is always solid. For the price, I don’t think you can beat them. My only complaint is that the 3 and 4-piece models are rarely available with cork handles. . .

Phisikos likes this.
  11. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've used multi-piece rods my entire life because I could never fit a one-piece in my car. Never had a problem and the fish don't seem to know the difference.

12. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Daiwa has 5.5 foot ultralight 4 piece kits with rod, reel and case. Works well.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018 at 2:52 AM
    Muleman77 likes this.
  13. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is that the mini spin @GreyOne?

I've got a couple of those too, if it is, and they're pretty good. Forgot all about em, haven't had them out in so long.
    I like the case for throwing in a pack load, and no worries about damage. A few lures and tackle fit in there as well, convieniently.
    Used to throw one in a lot for guest use when I was doing outfitter trips.

GreyOne likes this.
  14. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep they made a spin cast set and a open face spin set. Good stuff.

Muleman77 likes this.
  15. junkpile

junkpile Scout

Blog Posts:
    The newer graphite multi-piece rods have come a long way. I'm mainly just fly fishing the last few years, with 4 piece rods, and they've worked great. Really nice to have the packability. I used to use 2 piece spinning rods, and I do have a 1 piece, but they were always tough to pack around - unless they were going straight into a rod keeper on a boat - always getting tangled up, etc. Breaking them down and putting them into their own tubes sure makes things neat, clean, and more enjoyable.