Thoughts on my day out yesterday...

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by Sawdustdave, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was reminded why I don't like to paddle/fish on weekends. The lot on the upper Chain of Lakes near Waupaca was packed with cars. Kayaks, mainly. Cars/trucks parked down the road, a few parked in the entrance driveways - blocking entrance and exit. Lots of folks, some couples, young, old, families.

Folks putting in/out were orderly and friendly in the morning when I arrived. I've found that to be the case. Unload, park in the back 40, then get into the water. Quickly is better.

I found a spot where I could see bass and panfish swimming, so I nestled into some rushes near the bank. Cast out. Then the family with three kayaks and a dog decided that would be a good time to pass the critter from one kayak to another. Yup, he went swimming. The fought to get him back into a kayak, then decided it was a good time to put on his doggie PDF. All the while the wind moved them into my fishing spot... Guess I'll need to move on, those fish have gone.

Always felt the time to get ready to boat was before you left the dock... Vest on, safety gear stowed where it is accessible, etc. Not after you find out you need it. Oh, well...

Saw about half the kayakers paddling with their paddles upsidedown. A few I suggested they turn 'em end for end, so they could read the name on the paddle. Some of the folks said "thanks", they were new at this water stuff.

It's too bad, in one way, that you can get a kayak or canoe almost anywhere, buy a paddle and PDF (whether it fits or not) and get out on the water. Bad because some of these folks will get into trouble and have no idea why. I saw kids with PDF's that were way too large. Parents, get them fitted! Money well spent.

So, fishing didn't work out, but it was a glorious day, and I put in many miles paddling. Finally think I have the "J" stroke down, caught myself not even thinking about it. Just when the wind picked up or the current was strong. Today I'm a bit red, tomorrow I'll be brown. And later this week, I'll head out again...

Kelly W, FreeMe, slysir and 11 others like this.
  2. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    But then, a bad day fishing...

3. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Be safe out there on the water.

4. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Can't blame folks for wanting to get on the water, but you CAN blame them for thier conduct out on it.

Sawdustdave, slysir and blind & lost like this.
  5. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Come to the northern part of the state. There won't be anyone on the rivers because of the resident hordes of mosquitoes, black flies and deer flies! It's saying something if I see another human on the rivers I fish once every 2 years.

6. PAcanis

PAcanis Bushmaster Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe all those folks saw the get outside thread ;)

I haven't visited my fishing hole on a weekend yet. I imagine it gets a lot busier than what I've seen it during the week.
    But I remember it when I had weekends off and those were the only days I could get out. Nowadays I'd just as soon not deal with crowds.

Sawdustdave likes this.
  7. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've found this to be the case also. My strategy is going to be paddling to an island or fishing on the shore. NOBODY is on the shore. I suck at fishing from the yak anyways, so this kills two birds with one stone. Depends on shore access, though.

Sawdustdave likes this.
  8. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    You should see the boat launch at our local Eagle River Chain on a nice weekend. Best one is the guys who launch their boats without the plug in. Next best is the ones who haven't charged their battery all Winter. Finally, the guys who did not get a tune-up and their boat won't start. They sit dead in the launch while 10 other people are waiting to launch. It looks like a Bill Dance video.

Primordial, Sawdustdave and xrayit like this.
  9. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18:

10. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those guys can actually be entertaining. What is not entertaining, but is annoying, are the ones who stop at the top of the ramp when pulling the boat out, and take the time right there to do a thorough wiping and drying of their precious craft - while others are waiting to launch.

But that's never a problem for me when I'm paddling......because we don't need no stinkin' ramp. :D

11. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm an introvert, if I showed up to a put in with such a crowd I would turn around quick and head to some other much more remote section of water.

12. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hit the remote lakes and ponds whenever possible. I have to be in the right mood to go to a busy lake